CONFIRMED Dean Hammond

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cyprus Blade

Reaction score
In the Stir today,

"Adkins, meanwhile, has been linked with a move for Dean Hammond, his former captain at Southampton.

Hammond is out of contract at Premier League side Leicester City, and was used sparingly during the Foxes’ survival campaign. He is thought to want first-team football; and could be persuaded to drop into League One, to link up with his old boss."

Never heard of him but just checked his wikipedia and he played in Soton's promotions. Won the Championship with Leicester and played 12 premier league games last season. Definitely sounds like somebody we need.

Can we really get him to drop 2 leagues?

Probably nothing more than lazy journos putting 2 and 2 together.....that said I have just spoken to a Leicester supporting colleague who has said that he would be a superb signing for us. Hard working defensive minded midfielder, not the fastest but would allow others around him to be more creative. A 6 footer, you could definitely see someone like him working well alongside Coutts, (player of the season next year, mark my words). Mate said he is probably not Prem level anymore but would definitely still do a job in the Championship so would be a massive deal in L1......wages could be the biggest stumbling block.

Never heard of him but just checked his wikipedia and he played in Soton's promotions. Won the Championship with Leicester and played 12 premier league games last season. Definitely sounds like somebody we need.

Can we really get him to drop 2 leagues?

If his fitness is good, he sounds like a decent replacement for Doyle. It would be nice to have a holding midfielder who's strong and good in the air.

would be a good signing.

Hopefully he just doesnt want a move for the money.

He's out of contract with Leicester very soon so hopefully he doesn't mind a bit of a wage cut to guarantee first team football and we can use the money saved on transfer fee's to lure him in with a better deal and promotion bonuses etc.

Could be just what we need.

A good additioan to our midfield if he comes - think Doyle but with (far) more ability and a great partner for Basham/Coutts/Wallace.

All of a sudden we're starting to look decent in central midfield - physical, solid but with creativity.

In the Stir today,

"Adkins, meanwhile, has been linked with a move for Dean Hammond, his former captain at Southampton.

Hammond is out of contract at Premier League side Leicester City, and was used sparingly during the Foxes’ survival campaign. He is thought to want first-team football; and could be persuaded to drop into League One, to link up with his old boss."
could be some legs in this one sounds like just what we need and a player who knows how atkins works with a few promotions under his belt too. A player that goes under the radar but a player maybe that managers like atkins loves. We need some experience in the squad and if he,s still up to it (fitness wise) i hope atkins goes for him could be our new captain?.

I find it strange as he only players a few games last season, and you would think with another season in the premier league they would be improving on players like Hammond.

Be interesting to see what he's been offered and if Adkins could sell the lane, captaincy to him (another Southampton). I doubt it unfortunately.

I find it strange as he only players a few games last season, and you would think with another season in the premier league they would be improving on players like Hammond.

Be interesting to see what he's been offered and if Adkins could sell the lane, captaincy to him (another Southampton). I doubt it unfortunately.

Could also hope he likes playing in red and white?

Sorry, white, with a microscopic red stripe? ;)

We can tick his name of the list of players possibly coming in, signed a 1 year extension with Leicester...

Dictated the midfield at southhampton during NA's reign and in my opinion everything we need in the cdm position. Fast and reliable passer of the ball, tall, strong, not afraid to put his body on the line for the cause and is a true leader. The recent arrival of Inler at leicester has forced him out of the squad and at the ripe old age of 32 lets give him one last hoorah to sign out with. UTB!!!

Dictated the midfield at southhampton during NA's reign and in my opinion everything we need in the cdm position. Fast and reliable passer of the ball, tall, strong, not afraid to put his body on the line for the cause and is a true leader. The recent arrival of Inler at leicester has forced him out of the squad and at the ripe old age of 32 lets give him one last hoorah to sign out with. UTB!!!
I think you could be onto something there S40 Hammond was a player I mentioned soon after Adams took over(an experienced leader) he is just what we need to drive the midfield.it wouldn't surprise me if we get him on loan.

Looks more likely now Ranieri has come in and recruited a few midfielders, I would guess that wages may be a stumbling block though

Not with 1.5 to 2.0 mill in the bank doing fuck all.
Not with 1.5 to 2.0 mill in the bank doing fuck all.

It's not just whether we simply have the money right now. If Hammond is on £30k a week (pure speculation) then even with a pay-cut we have to ask ourselves, is it worth blowing so much of the Murphy money on this one player? There are alternatives available who will require paying far less.

You also have to consider that it may upset the squad having a large disparity in wages.

It's not just whether we simply have the money right now. If Hammond is on £30k a week (pure speculation) then even with a pay-cut we have to ask ourselves, is it worth blowing so much of the Murphy money on this one player? There are alternatives available who will require paying far less.

You also have to consider that it may upset the squad having a large disparity in wages.
Sorry Chali, I'm not particularly meaning Hammond per se, but new players in general. Catch 22 I know but as good as we have been playing, I think it's only top 6 standard, but with a couple of astute signings ( especially at the back) we are top 2 or champions. And we haven't got long left. But I trust Adkins to get it right one way or the other. Utb - fto.

Sorry Chali, I'm not particularly meaning Hammond per se, but new players in general. Catch 22 I know but as good as we have been playing, I think it's only top 6 standard, but with a couple of astute signings ( especially at the back) we are top 2 or champions. And we haven't got long left. But I trust Adkins to get it right one way or the other. Utb - fto.

I agree, I think once we get a capable centre half we will be well on our way, and a top 2 finish will be far more achievable. We could also do with some backup in key areas like CDM and GK as Basham and Howard are the only viable options in those positions IMO

Hammond signed a 1 year contract before Pearson was sacked new manager might want him out of the way as he has now dropped way down the pecking order. Maybe we could strike a deal with Leicester paying off his contract obviously they wouldn't give him the full amount but deals are struck and if all parties agree we could get him he would be a great asset in this league..
But maybe Adkins has other irons in the fire.

Hammond signed a 1 year contract before Pearson was sacked new manager might want him out of the way as he has now dropped way down the pecking order. Maybe we could strike a deal with Leicester paying off his contract obviously they wouldn't give him the full amount but deals are struck and if all parties agree we could get him he would be a great asset in this league..
But maybe Adkins has other irons in the fire.
Great point. If for example he was on 20k a week, Leicester could pay him up say 10k a week for the last year of his contract and we could pay him the other 10k a week and everyone's happy plus he'll be playing week in week out.

Can't make anything out from that picture mate. The poster on twitter seems fairly sure it isnt Hammond though.

Intriguing. .......

Back
Top Bottom