Dare to dream...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I just feel like those last two fixtures against Newcastle and Burnley look like a battleground to me
Yeah, but the problem is, we are 4 wins off Newcastle and Brighton with only 11 games left.

We're relying on Newcastle or Brighton not picking up any points. Unless we can somehow win 7 or 8 of 11, we're doomed.

If anything we need Newcastle OR Brighton to keep winning and pull away leaving the other behind.

Newcastle have got to play Brighton, Us, WBA and Fulham.

Brighton have a tough run.

So when we go down will you be hoping that we miss out on the top 6?

I don’t think so, no. I’ll be watching every game still and enjoying it more than I am now. The thing about winning football games is that, really surprisingly, it doesn’t matter what level you’re at. Winning games always feels good. I’ll be wanting us to win the league with 107 points and hope we can hit the ground running with a younger squad than we came up with 18 months or so ago.

So you would be quite happy for us to be a championship club and gradually go into
obscurity cus that's what you are saying.
If we want to be at the top table and I agree we need to add a lot more nous to our football we have to take all the things we dont like on board.
Easier to change things when part of it than look in from the outside with a bit of envy.
It will be great kicking off at 3-00 again and hopefully getting back to winning more matches ,the downside as I say is obscurity and fighting to stay afloat with money at a premium.
I gave up on this season months ago ! everytime we win one I start dreaming of the great escape (Bassett style) crazy in it but that's life of a blade.
Season not over yet and we still have a big cuptie to come.

I don’t think the Championship is obscurity. A lot of huge clubs down there, plus a few local derbies. My problem is I think that I’ve slowly fallen out of love with football. I listen to around 25-40 hours of opinion podcasts and statistical analysis pods, as well as trying to stay on top of other teams forums and reading a lot of Athletic long pieces. I do a lot of research, but I’m finding it incredibly difficult to get excited about watching actual games. I don’t feel the clubs have any cultural relevance to the areas surrounding the ground at the top level. You get die hard Liverpool fans who were born in California and have never been to England. It’s all a money machine. I would be a million times happier when there’s a European Super league featuring 18 teams in a closed shop with no promotion or relegation like the MLS. Let the big TV companies fight it out and throw their billions at that, while we get our game back. Bring wages back to some sort of realistic level, have a competitive league and give the game back to the fans.

I really can’t understand this mentality. If it’s “proper football” you want then why not go and watch non league football? Go and watch Sheffield FC?

Because I’m in love with Sheffield United.

Last 10 games form. Teams we have left to play in yellow.

1614853509689.png

When you look at the 6 defeats, City, West Ham, Chelsea and Tottenham speak for themselves. Liverpool are not in form but of their six defeats, four have been at home. Their away form has been ok (if not spectacular). The real obviously disappointment was Fulham, but you could argue that you replace that with Man Utd and the form is pretty much as expected. If you look at that middle batch of of Brighton, Burnley, Leeds and Wolves their scoring and conceding record is pretty much on par with ours. Indeed our goals against was skewed by the defeat to West Ham, whilst Leeds goals for was similar for their win against Southampton.

Last edited:
There are two fundamental flaws in your optimistic view of the future

1) we haven't shown at any point in the season thus far we are capable of putting the kind of run together that we would need to finish on 30 points
2) even if we did somehow achieve 30 points, it would be an even bigger miracle for one of the aforementioned teams to score no more than 3 points between now and the end of the season

Just let it go, the hope is only going to make it hurt more in the end

I'd take finishing above WBA. Then when anyone mentioned this season in the future we could all think "God how bad were West Brom that year" to take the edge off.

I was resigned to getting relegated ages ago.

I want us to go down kicking and screaming. Get in amongst it. Salvage some pride. Don't finish bottom. As big a points tally as we can muster. Score some goals, get some clean sheets.

We've already broken lots of shitness records this season, don't want any more.

Like others on here,
Going down doesn't bother me anymore,
How we go down does,,,

(Was that our first clean sheet ?)

were not going to stay up some tough games coming up but that last 20 minutes last night which was like siege at the alamo makes me think we can definetly finish above west brom we should have beaten them 4 - 1 at their place for me there a poorer team than us

It's an old cliché but it really is in our hands now, we can be masters of our survival or drop down.

Back
Top Bottom