Match Thread Crystal Palace v. Sheffield United - 2nd January 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CRY
CRY
CRY

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1609325633820.png v. 1609325641621.png
EPL Week 17 - Saturday 2nd January 2021 - Selhurst Park

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/crystal-palace-vs-sheffield-united.525/

Officials:

Referee:
Stuart Attwell
Assistant Referee: Marc Perry
Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup
Fourth Official: Keith Stroud
Video Assistant Referee: Andre Marriner
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Richard West

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 10.56.28.png

Pay for wages and less in fees. Pay for what you get! Free agents, end of contracts prem players.
You need to pay the transfer fee to the club and the wages to the player.

Eze might have cost similar to Brewster, but he's on double the wage.

Played a Palace team who had picked up 3 points from their last 5 games.

After we started so badly that they couldn't just give us the ball and counter on us as we kept giving it away, Palace literally ceded possession and waited to counter. It was so easy for them. They were pretty rubbish as well. Their two in centre midfield played really well, but outside that a bit of a stroll in the park for them. They were the team who should have taken chances to score more, not us.

We passed it from one side of the defence to the other with consummate ease. Even forwards occasionally before we passed it backwards again. There was a bit of excitement on the occasions we gave it away. Had like a handful of shots. None were anywhere near going in.

The funniest thing is that some people think this tea will come straight back up 🤣😂🤣🤣

Ramsdale - 6 - Not a great deal to do. Took one cross really well then dropped the next one and the for the 678th time this season got away with it.
Osborn - 4 - Headless chicken up and down the wing. Lots of energy, not much skill or intelligence. puffed and panted
Stevens - 3 - Shocking. Kept giving the ball away and doesn't look comfortable playing in the back 3 whatsoever
Egan - 6 - Made a couple of timely interception and was generally steady at the back. Didn't win enough headers for me.
Ampadu - 3 - Slow, lightweight, ponderous, prone to pass it straight to the opposition. weak for their goal
Bogle - 5 - Our saviour finally started after becoming the best midfielder in the world after one substitute appearance on the right. Plenty of energy and kept going but too weak and looked second best too often. Got forward pretty well but ineffective.
Fleck - 4.5 - Better but still way, way below last year's standards. At least was more involved but too slow to do anything and defensively suspect
Norwood - 3.5 - Far too slow on the ball. Most of his passes went to the opposition but he at least looked to try harder passes. Defensively dire and Eze went passed him like a child stealing sweats for the goal. People run passed and through him. Resembles a chocolate fireguard
Basham - 5 - Round of applause for his 300th game for the club but despite getting forward a few times and causing them problems he's far too slow to decide what to do with it when it comes down the right wing. Defensively, not great
McGoldrick - 5 - Came deeper and deeper to try and get the ball but then just passed it back to the defender. It doesn't seem an efficient way to play football. Basically played in midfield but slowed everything down
Mousset - 4.5 - Had very little service and almost zero support but at least pressed a little bit for once. Held the ball up slightly better but did very little

Brewster - 4 - Anonymous. Weak. Looks tidy whilst also being wholly ineffectual.
Hackford - 5 - Not much to do but didn't look out of his depth by any means

Wilder - 2 - Despite it not working for the last 20 games, decided to try it again. We were the poorer side from the off. Only managed to make 2 substitutions because only managed to put two attacking players on the bench. Surprised he didn't throw George on down the wing but that would have involved not continuing to do the things that hasn't worked for 20 games. Osborn made way for his tactical genius change he makes every game but which hasn't worked for I don't know how long. We are, as a team, merely making up the numbers.

Palace were poor but it was all too easy to beat us. Milivojevic and McArthur bossed Dosey, Bashful and Dopey in our midfield.

We offer zero threat to the opposition in any part of the pitch. Our centre halves don't dominate opposition strikers, we have no midfielders with pace running at the opposition, no pace out wide, our strikers are incapable of holding the ball up, our set pieces are woeful and even when a corner or free kick does make it into the box, we're so physically inferior we can't lay a glove. Apart from that though...solid.

Well i actually thought we were playing quite well, but without that killer punch up front we aren't going to score, perhaps Brewster for Moussett ? midfield the real weak link though Fleck trying but not hard enough, Bash' having a bad game by his standards, Norwood just being Norwood.
I was thinking the young lads were knitting together quite well, Osborne, Ampadu, Bogle even Moussett - perhaps knitting might be the wrong word!
Bash had a bad game cos he’s only suited to the RCB position. He’s a great professional and unbelievable servant to this club. But Christ almighty... Bash in midfield to save us all from this?? Get fucking real!!
The system has killed us... but it’s the system that makes Bash the player he is... so what do you want? Bash as our player of the year? Or a team that looks competitive?

As the vast majority were saying, way before the season started, we needed a midfield and we basically didn't bother. I feel sympathy for McBurnie, Brewster etc. They are having to try and make every opportunity themselves rather than having the midfield create something. Playing Saturday and Sunday league and managing at a decent level, defense and midfield were always the key areas. If you can put a decent cross in you don't need an incredible striker, if the ball is quality even an adequate striker will put it in. For me Egan, o'Connel, Brewster, Hackford (now), (stick with) Ramsdale, Mcgoldrick (embarrassingly, due to his age), Bash (see Mcg), Bogle ( not great today), Baldock ( he can't cross but can't believe he wouldn't have been beaten for either goal), McBurnie (as we don't play to his strengths - how many runs into the box has he made without even a cross) are the ones to keep.going with. The rest meh. The midfield needs a complete overhaul. Personally, think Lundstrum would be useful if paid a decent wage (relative and could be convinced to stay). Think Berge too much of a luxury in the current climate, moose (Prem class when fit and can be arsed) need to be cashed in on asap. No issue with the likes of Osborn, Robinson, Norwood but just not good enough for this level, move to low end champ or top league 1 they would excel. Maybe, against 99% of Blades I actually think there is a player in Kean Bryan and we should keep him.
As for the rest, think we should try to maximise the cash we could get or just get rid. Add some youngsters Hackford, Brunt and RND we have a base to progress. Again, undermining my whole argument, I'd bring back Freeman as we have absolutely no creativity and he would provide something (can't be any worse than the creative dynamism we currently provide).
Fleck wasn't that bad today but seems to be a one off compared to recent games so I'd get rid too.

As the vast majority were saying, way before the season started, we needed a midfield and we basically didn't bother. I feel sympathy for McBurnie, Brewster etc. They are having to try and make every opportunity themselves rather than having the midfield create something. Playing Saturday and Sunday league and managing at a decent level, defense and midfield were always the key areas. If you can put a decent cross in you don't need an incredible striker, if the ball is quality even an adequate striker will put it in. For me Egan, o'Connel, Brewster, Hackford (now), (stick with) Ramsdale, Mcgoldrick (embarrassingly, due to his age), Bash (see Mcg), Bogle ( not great today), Baldock ( he can't cross but can't believe he wouldn't have been beaten for either goal), McBurnie (as we don't play to his strengths - how many runs into the box has he made without even a cross) are the ones to keep.going with. The rest meh. The midfield needs a complete overhaul. Personally, think Lundstrum would be useful if paid a decent wage (relative and could be convinced to stay). Think Berge too much of a luxury in the current climate, moose (Prem class when fit and can be arsed) need to be cashed in on asap. No issue with the likes of Osborn, Robinson, Norwood but just not good enough for this level, move to low end champ or top league 1 they would excel. Maybe, against 99% of Blades I actually think there is a player in Kean Bryan and we should keep him.
As for the rest, think we should try to maximise the cash we could get or just get rid. Add some youngsters Hackford, Brunt and RND we have a base to progress. Again, undermining my whole argument, I'd bring back Freeman as we have absolutely no creativity and he would provide something (can't be any worse than the creative dynamism we currently provide).
Fleck wasn't that bad today but seems to be a one off compared to recent games so I'd get rid too.

Agree with pretty much all of that, except i thought Bogle had a good game, all the young lads did, at least they tried to make something out of a pigs ear of our midfield

Nooooo. We only pay our lads £5k a week, we are the bestest well run club and all that, that’s all we hear when we win don’t we? We’ve won again despite our lowest wage bill ever and all that??

Maybe that’s the problem🤦🏻
Utter bollocks.
Chairman says not true are well paid.
CW says good contract - how can he turn it down re Lunny
Egan signed he had options surely.
Two supposed to be on £45K per week and Brewster £30K - Alan Biggs so not reliable but CLOSE source.
Chris Wilder has spunked 120 million and should not have been allowed to do it.

How do you know the wage difference between the two?
I don't for a fact, but there are 100 decent sources which you could find that would suggest the same, such as the average wage of the Palace squad compared to ours.

Utter bollocks.
Two supposed to be on £45K per week and Brewster £30K - Alan Biggs so not reliable but CLOSE source.
Yeah, we should've left transfers up to the fans instead, or maybe hired some advisors to do them like Chansiri.

The money in the game is ridiculous... Brewster does not need to work another day in his life from the contract he has with us.. He could retire at 24 and be more than comfortable for the rest of his life..... And he looks like he can't be bothered to even fucking run after the sodding ball

Bash had a bad game cos he’s only suited to the RCB position. He’s a great professional and unbelievable servant to this club. But Christ almighty... Bash in midfield to save us all from this?? Get fucking real!!
The system has killed us... but it’s the system that makes Bash the player he is... so what do you want? Bash as our player of the year? Or a team that looks competitive?
Agree! CW puts Bash in midfield, square peg in a round hole 😡 Poor midfielder from the start don’t know what CW was trying to do?😡 CW keeps playing Ampedu, no talent, definitely not Premier League, can’t pass a ball! not good enough😡 Norwood and Osborn never going to create anything😡 I think Moose touched the ball less than he did against Brighton, not good enough 😡 Brewster came on, don’t know why, never be good enoug😡 Didzy did well but with no help👍 Hackford was unlucky not to score on his debut and the only good chance👍

Pay for wages and less in fees. Pay for what you get! Free agents, end of contracts prem players.

Could have got Hart, Wilshere, Sturridge, Welbeck for free.

Instead got Ramsdale, Berge and Brewster for 60 million.

MiserableBlader said:
Utter bollocks.
Yeah, we should've left transfers up to the fans instead, or maybe hired some advisors to do them like Chansiri.
NO. For the thicko's out there I'm saying his transfer record was already shite shite and he was given too much.
McBurnie and Brewster were clearly stupid signings. I said so at the time.
SURELY someone in the football club thought this as well?
ARE they all thicko's or just yes men?
I thought Bryan and then Lowe were questionable then stupid signings with RND being already there!
Proved right again.
TWO of 5 board members voted against the Derby pair signings re cost/over budget and good free transfer backup was available eg Naughton and Clyne that I can think off.
Wilder should have been booted out when he F! up again in the second international break.
Said so at the time.
Proved right again. SADLY!
He's completely amateurish in so many ways as I have outlined.
Add today - he has ONE player out of a famous back five missing. OConnell
Fair enough he had his backup Robinson out as well but it was HIS decison not to sign a BACKUP as he stated he wanted.
He spunked a fortune on Brewster instead.
He contrives to play a completely different back five with only Egan playing in his normal position and the other 3 moved or dropped.
WTF can you expect with so many changes?

NO. For the thicko's out there I'm saying his transfer record was already shite shite and he was given too much.
McBurnie and Brewster were clearly stupid signings. I said so at the time.
SURELY someone in the football club thought this as well?
ARE they all thicko's or just yes men?
I thought Bryan and then Lowe were questionable then stupid signings with RND being already there!
Proved right again.
TWO of 5 board members voted against the Derby pair signings re cost/over budget and good free transfer backup was available eg Naughton and Clyne that I can think off.
Wilder should have been booted out when he F! up again in the second international break.
Said so at the time.
Proved right again. SADLY!
He's completely amateurish in so many ways as I have outlined.
Add today - he has ONE player out of a famous back five missing. OConnell
Fair enough he had his backup Robinson out as well but it was HIS decison not to sign a BACKUP as he stated he wanted.
He spunked a fortune on Brewster instead.
He contrives to play a completely different back five with only Egan playing in his normal position and the other 3 moved or dropped.
WTF can you expect with so many changes?
Oh dear.

Basham was poor.

I thought of the Leeds away game in our promotion season when he had a poor first half and was about to be substituted but then came up with his 'Basham Arriving' moment.

It wasn't to be.

Back
Top Bottom