Coronavirus - a real season spoiling threat?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Postpone, play behind closed doors or carry on?

• Total voters
Just think if mccabe was still here, he'd be taking China to court

If we reach the FA Cup final, I’m going to Wembley.

If there are 30,000 of us then the smart thing would be for them to let us in so we can all wash our hands.

Here are some facts...(based on estimates I should add)...

View attachment 73045

In recent years there have been two threatened pandemics that did not materialise, both from strains of coronavirus: Serious Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2002-03, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in 2012.

Neither of these outbreaks have been linked to any deaths in the UK.

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK, as at 2pm today, stands at 90.

The number of coronavirus deaths in the UK, as at 2pm today, stands at 0.

We have some way to go before this is anywhere near the severity of the swine flu epidemic of 2009. We didn't close down public events, like football matches, back then.

The Chief Medical Officer for England said today that there is a risk in taking such measures too soon.

It is, too soon, at the moment, to know what will happen.

Unfortunately the UK has now had its first death CB.

Here are some facts...(based on estimates I should add)...

View attachment 73045

In recent years there have been two threatened pandemics that did not materialise, both from strains of coronavirus: Serious Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2002-03, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in 2012.

Neither of these outbreaks have been linked to any deaths in the UK.

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK, as at 2pm today, stands at 90.

The number of coronavirus deaths in the UK, as at 2pm today, stands at 0.

We have some way to go before this is anywhere near the severity of the swine flu epidemic of 2009. We didn't close down public events, like football matches, back then.

The Chief Medical Officer for England said today that there is a risk in taking such measures too soon.

It is, too soon, at the moment, to know what will happen.

Nonsense. We must all panic and predict Armageddon.

Talking of infected countries, I've just realised that no figures are available for Russia and North Korea, this seems very strange as both of them have borders with China, and in the case of North Korea,South Korea as well. It defies belief that both countries have no cases of the virus, so why no info. from either?.

North Korea has but as you'd expect, not too much forthcoming

No doubt we'll be one game away from Europe and in the FA Cup final when football is suspended.

Russia hasn’t though. It’s like homosexuality. They just don’t have it there.

Well beer wasn't classed as alcohol until fairly recently so if the rumours about strong alcohol warding it off are true, all that vodka might be doing the trick

Well beer wasn't classed as alcohol until fairly recently so if the rumours about strong alcohol warding it off are true, all that vodka might be doing the trick
I have a thimbleful of vodka before bed every night and I’ve never succumbed t’ cock so far. So it must be working! The missus on the other hand, never drinks vodka and she’s a varmint for it! :oops:

It's sod's law that it will happen to us, because throughout my time as a Blade something bizarre always happens and derails us one way or another.

What I don't get though, is the point of all this talk of stopping people attending work/events etc. when it really only affects the elderly or those with underlying health problems. Wouldn't it be far better logistically, socially and economically to only isolate those people at risk? 90% of the population could just carry on as normal knowing that even if they did get it (chances are slim) they'd be fine after a week or so.
Understandable suggestion and, as a sufferer of acute asthma, I would gladly absent myself in order to let the majority enjoy themselves. Problem is that the more of you healthy young guns out there happily spreading what, for you, is an inconvenience, the greater the risks of folks like us catching a potentially life threatening illness.

was there all this panic when the previous outbreaks of viruses occurred (as cerebus blade posted) sars, asian flu bird flu etc, I think at the moment the media and the general public are grossly over reacting, people are actually stockpiling food and you cant buy hand sanitiser for love nor money FFS

I have a thimbleful of vodka before bed every night and I’ve never succumbed t’ cock so far. So it must be working! The missus on the other hand, never drinks vodka and she’s a varmint for it! :oops:

I meant the coronavirus but hey, they both make you breathless 😎

I heard some expert on the radio yesterday saying that stopping someone carrying Covid-19 from attending a football match might be counter productive.

At a football match you actually have pretty limited contact with a small number of people. Otherwise you might go to a pub and actually have much greater contact with more people.

I heard some expert on the radio yesterday saying that stopping someone carrying Covid-19 from attending a football match might be counter productive.

At a football match you actually have pretty limited contact with a small number of people. Otherwise you might go to a pub and actually have much greater contact with more people.
Or a swinging club for example. 🤔

There’s already been cases where people have contracted coronavirus and got over it thinking it was just flu without even realising.

If games get broadcasted while played behind closed doors, guess where everyone will go to watch it? The pub, where as has already been mentioned you are in even closer proximity to people if it’s a packed boozer.

There’s already 20 teams around the world developing a vaccine. Mountains out of mole hills spring to mind.

Load of fluff proved by tonight.

Prem League ban handshakes

Fa cup allow handshakes

Flu is just as dangerous to the frail and elderly.

Thoughts with anyone who has died from it but as with the 1st uk death, undetlyong medical conditions.

Load of fluff proved by tonight.

Prem League ban handshakes

Fa cup allow handshakes

Thoughts with anyone who has died from it but as with the 1st uk death, undetlyong medical conditions.
That's us fucked In Mablethorpe then.

Based on current data the death rate‘s actually about 1% for this compared to 0.1% for flu. So not just as dangerous – it is more dangerous, and when dealing with a situation where a lot of people become infected that could mean a lot more dying. And while a healthy person might not be particularly affected by the infection, what they do in the period between infection to detection can have quite a big impact on whether someone in more at-risk gets it. Any fans in a stadium that have it and through poor hygiene contaminate surfaces that others could come into contact with is kind of a disaster scenario for Public Health England.

We’re not there yet by any means, and hopefully we won’t be. But the possibility of matches being made behind-closed doors because of a wider outbreak in the country is a real one. That’s not to say that the handshake ban isn’t at this stage quite ridiculous, as it is.

There’s already 20 teams around the world developing a vaccine. Mountains out of mole hills spring to mind.

If you’re expecting something in the next few months to appear, it would be almost unheard of for that to happen so quickly – and that’s despite the better-than-usual open sharing of data on it. Developing something widely available within 12 months would by current practice be very quick.

Based on current data the death rate‘s actually about 1% for this compared to 0.1% for flu. So not just as dangerous – it is more dangerous, and when dealing with a situation where a lot of people become infected that could mean a lot more dying. And while a healthy person might not be particularly affected by the infection, what they do in the period between infection to detection can have quite a big impact on whether someone in more at-risk gets it. Any fans in a stadium that have it and through poor hygiene contaminate surfaces that others could come into contact with is kind of a disaster scenario for Public Health England.

We’re not there yet by any means, and hopefully we won’t be. But the possibility of matches being made behind-closed doors because of a wider outbreak in the country is a real one. That’s not to say that the handshake ban isn’t at this stage quite ridiculous, as it is.

If you’re expecting something in the next few months to appear, it would be almost unheard of for that to happen so quickly – and that’s despite the better-than-usual open sharing of data on it. Developing something widely available within 12 months would by current practice be very quick.
Usable vaccine is next Jan I think at the earliest

I've boldened your comment on poor hygiene. I think football is the only place I go to where nearly everyone doesn't wash their hands after going to the toilet, it's fucking disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom