Compared With Last Lifetime!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
We all loved Grafikhaus's "Compared With Last Season" graphs, and so for a few years I have been playing about comparing our results with various other seasons and teams.

The best season that I have experienced in the top flight was 1974/75. Last season began to remind me of 74/75 and so I compared the 2 seasons as last season progressed. I had to make some adjustments, as that season was 42 games, rather than 38, and 2 points for a win, rather than 3. So I discarded the 74/75 results against the bottom 2 clubs, Chelsea and Carlisle, and used 3 for a win so that I could make a direct comparison. With those adjustments made you can see on the graph that the whole of last year and 74/75 were really very similar - if we'd just drawn our last 3 games last season instead of losing them we'd have ended up in exactly the same place.

Unfortunately the next season, 1975/76 was probably the worst season that I have experienced in the top flight (until now!). I was hoping that this current season would bury the ghost of 75/76, but the repeated losses feel even worse on your own swearing at a TV, rather than being with mates standing on the John Street stand. So I have started adding a comparison with 75/76 (this time discarding the 75/76 Wolves and Burnley results). As the graph shows, we also had just 1 point from 8 games in 75/76, and in fact only had 1 point from 12 games (remember that this discards Wolves and Burnley results as we did beat Burnley in the actual game 9).

We didn't have a decent run of results until April that season, when all was long lost. Maybe Chris could try to break our current losing voodoo like Harry did in August 92 when he was pissed off with starting seasons badly and had a Christmas piss-up in the Porter Cottage in August! Of course Chris's cheapskate version is sending Billy to an off-licence in Bermondsey. Maybe he should try both to bring the Magic back? At least the weather was great after that season, in the summer of 76!

ComparedLastLifetime.jpg

Back
Top Bottom