Colin Grainger

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thanks. A great read that. Captures the mood of those years perfectly. I remember Grainger as a fast moving left winger for the Blades who excited the crowd when he went on one of his runs. Even so it was a bit of a surprise when he got picked against Brazil. I watched the match on a 13 inch screen Bush TV, in black and white and remember, vividly, his 2 goals. Even now I can name all 11 of the Brazilian team and I'm in my eighties. I shall endeavour to get the book. Thanks again.

Before my time, but good article on him below for those that fancy a read

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting it. I was 9 when he made his debut v Brazil, and like Darnall Siam Blade I watched it on tv (smaller screen, though!). I remember the sense of pride that 'one of our own' (the expression wasn't used then) was playing and scoring for England. That feeling has remained with me via Hodgy, Graham Shaw, TC, Jags, Harry. Hopefully our next England players will still be playing for us when they get capped.
Grainger comes across really well in that article.

Thanks. A great read that. Captures the mood of those years perfectly. I remember Grainger as a fast moving left winger for the Blades who excited the crowd when he went on one of his runs. Even so it was a bit of a surprise when he got picked against Brazil. I watched the match on a 13 inch screen Bush TV, in black and white and remember, vividly, his 2 goals. Even now I can name all 11 of the Brazilian team and I'm in my eighties. I shall endeavour to get the book. Thanks again.

Wow , that's impressive .

I wagged off school to watch that game and , like you , clearly remember his two goals but would struggle to name more than two from the Brazil side .

I do , however , remember some superb performances by Colin Grainger and have him down as one of my all time favourite Blades players , unlike the shit book which I bought some 15 years ago called Blades Legends in which he wasn't even mentioned , although players like Dougie Hodgson were .

WTF ?

An excellent read. I am old enough to remember Colin Grainger. He certainly was like lightning down the right wing and was a regular goal-scorer.
I recall that he sustained an ankle injury, which Joe Mercer blamed on the new-fangled boots which didn't give as much ankle protection, and later we sold him to Sunderland - probably a good move since he was never quite the same player.

An excellent read. I am old enough to remember Colin Grainger. He certainly was like lightning down the right wing and was a regular goal-scorer.
I recall that he sustained an ankle injury, which Joe Mercer blamed on the new-fangled boots which didn't give as much ankle protection, and later we sold him to Sunderland - probably a good move since he was never quite the same player.

I see from the record books that he played on the left wing. I could have sworn I saw him galloping down the right wing when I was 14. The old memory cells playing tricks again...

A great read from a player I never heard of before. Captures the times perfectly for me, having similar experiences in Germany years later.
Modest, honest and self effacing, this is just the kind of guy Wider would want for his team today.
Such wonderful memories, Lord it reminds me how old I am.

I see from the record books that he played on the left wing. I could have sworn I saw him galloping down the right wing when I was 14. The old memory cells playing tricks again...

I know the feeling but yes , Colin was one of a number of fine left wingers the Blades were blessed with in my early years of watching them , as I'm sure you will also recall .

The first I can clearly remember was Colin Collindridge , partly because of his shiny bald head but also because of his silky skills and his goal scoring ability . Others included Derek Hawksworth , Ronnie Simpson and later , Gill Reece .

Good as they all were , there is no doubt in my mind that Grainger was the best and in many ways ahead of his time since he had the ability to easily switch from a wide position to that of central striker , unlike many wingers at the time .

One detail that struck home with me, about Duncan Edwards. As a kid I idolised him, watched him on tv for England, saw him once for ManU live, and was really upset by his death a few days after the Munich crash. I thought nothing could tarnish this image. Players then rarely spoke on the media, so I am sure I never heard him speak. It came as a shock to learn that he spoke with a strong Dudley accent. Stupid, I know, but I would not have known then what a Dudley accent was. I love the variety of accents in the UK, but the Dudley accent does not fit the image of a super-hero. Perhaps if he had survived Munich, he would have changed that perception - in my eyes he was capable of anything.

I know the feeling but yes , Colin was one of a number of fine left wingers the Blades were blessed with in my early years of watching them , as I'm sure you will also recall .

The first I can clearly remember was Colin Collindridge , partly because of his shiny bald head but also because of his silky skills and his goal scoring ability . Others included Derek Hawksworth , Ronnie Simpson and later , Gill Reece .

Good as they all were , there is no doubt in my mind that Grainger was the best and in many ways ahead of his time since he had the ability to easily switch from a wide position to that of central striker , unlike many wingers at the time .
Talking of Hawksworth, I remember the 'deadly duo' of Hawksworth and Ringstead, the flying wingers, they really excited me, at the time. I seem to recall someone calling them United's Spitfire and Hurricane. Not long since the war you understand.

Best sports article I've read for a while. informative and entertaining, with some fascinating insights of great players and the era.

Back
Top Bottom