Chesterfield takeover

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I work just over the border in sheepbridge.
There's a mixture of around 10 blades,3pigs,1 Liverpool supporters. Plus 15 or so chesterfield fans.
The 15 or so chesterfield fans who are not that much further developed from ape,also support man utd.

I work on there too. Certainly more Blades than any other.

There's a mixture of around 10 blades,3pigs,1 Liverpool supporters. Plus 15 or so chesterfield fans.
The 15 or so chesterfield fans who are not that much further developed from ape,also support man utd.

Apes? My my, evolution has moved on quickly there then. In 1987 they were just starting to slither out or rivers. Had donkey jackets and star jumpers on though!

I've read this thread on a few pages and I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of Reg Brearley's role in taking over Chesterfield! I was thinking about Reg recently and thought he must be knocking on for 80 or so now and then you read this article that he's looking to get involved again! I wonder if he still has the same Ronnie Barker glasses!?

Main memories of Reg - other than the obvious stuff such as the sale of Deane etc - are from the United documentary series when he says stuff like "look at this, look at this look at this?! Then seems unaware that Newcastle losing is good news for us, like he doesn't know where we are in the table!?

Skip to 10.35 minutes and 27.30 minutes!

As for Chesterfield going down I wanted them to stay up especially with Jack Lester in charge but having worked there for a small time I was astonished with the dislike for Sheffield, and Yorkshire in particular. I expected some banter but there was a genuine hostility that was blatantly small man syndrome. I didn't want them to go down but I much prefer Rotherham as a club over Chesterfield. Rotherham share our dislike of Wednesday whereas Chesterfield just seem to genuinely have a chip on their shoulders.

I know a few Barnsley fans and I have to say that they dislike Wednesday more than us too.

Last edited:
I've read this thread on a few pages and I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of Reg Brearley's role in taking over Chesterfield! I was thinking about Reg recently and thought he must be knocking on for 80 or so now and then you read this article that he's looking to get involved again! I wonder if he still has the same Ronnie Barker glasses!?

As for Chesterfield going down I wanted them to stay up especially with Jack Lester in charge but having worked there for a small time I was astonished with the dislike for Sheffield, and Yorkshire in particular. I expected some banter but there was a genuine hostility that was blatantly small man syndrome. I didn't want them to go down but I much prefer Rotherham as a club over Chesterfield. Rotherham share our dislike of Wednesday whereas Chesterfield just seem to genuinely have a chip on their shoulders.

I know a few Barnsley fans and I have to say that they dislike Wednesday more than us too.

Getting relegated is bad enough, but when your options are Reg Brearley or Dave Allen, well you'd just find something else to do wouldn't you?

Getting relegated is bad enough, but when your options are Reg Brearley or Dave Allen, well you'd just find something else to do wouldn't you?

Suppose it could be worse Crab!? Actually no you're right it couldn't could it!

Many years ago I did once take the girlfriend to Chesterfield, she did eventually recover and later married me. She did enjoy Bakewell, and the several shops that claim to be selling the original Bakewell tarts.
Only footballing memory of Chesterfield was when we lost there under Harry Haslam, disliked them ever since.

for your edification Sir, the correct term is "Bakewell pudding" and there is only one shop that claims to be the original maker of the same, in Bakewell. A "Bakewell tart" is a different beast altogether Sir. It more resembles a shortcrust pie in appearance, whereas the Bakewell pudding is made of puff pastry and looks like a giant Yorkshire pudding with a yellow almond/custard appearance.

None of this has any relevance to a football thread though Sir - and I suspect we will now be removed to the cookery section.

for your edification Sir, the correct term is "Bakewell pudding" and there is only one shop that claims to be the original maker of the same, in Bakewell. A "Bakewell tart" is a different beast altogether Sir. It more resembles a shortcrust pie in appearance, whereas the Bakewell pudding is made of puff pastry and looks like a giant Yorkshire pudding with a yellow almond/custard appearance.

None of this has any relevance to a football thread though Sir - and I suspect we will now be removed to the cookery section.

Ooh a cookery section? Could you send me a link please? I’ve been looking for a recipe for something called a greasy chip butty for a while now.

It’s often the done thing to support Chesterfield and another big club, it seems. Strange

I remember when our reserves played at Saltergate , normal attendance a couple of hundred , then Man utd imposters reserves turned up and its nearly four and a half thousend , they had to open other parts of the ground to fit them all in , however the locals did not , or they could have been scared too cheer on Man Utd so a little bit of credit to them there . i think Leigertwood ran the show for us , or Legs of wood as he was very unfairly called .

I would have absolutely no problems with Chesterfield falling down the leagues and eventually going out of business.

Over the last few years, since Paul Cook was at Chesterfield, they have consistantly handled their staff in a shocking manner. Sacking/demoting/pushing many loyal, very long serving staff members at the drop of a hat.
Their treatment of apprentices and young pro's is also questionable to say the least.

The only downside would be for their loyal fans who have been taken for granted for several years now, and treated like cash cows.

No positive feelings towards the club whatsoever.

The Chinese interest has been put on standby.
Is this the same Chinese investors in the rumour that McCabe has Chinese investors interested in buying the club with him. Could these be the same people who have seen the decent of Chessie and flipped over to McCabe's side.

Back
Top Bottom