Cheshire based blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Obviously Sussex based at the minute, but with a shiny certificate and a whole range of opportunity coming my way… we are now plotting a move back to northern pastures.

With me being Sheffield born and bred, but my partner being unfortunate enough to have been brought into the world on red rose territory…I have been looking at properties in around Cheshire.

Just wondered Whether we have many Blades based within the county and whether they could give any pointers as to which parts of the county are worth looking at in terms of buying affordably, within a decent area.

If your looking at Cheshire you will struggling to find affordable, however Stockport way is really booming,

There were a load of new houses being built in Holmes Chappel, last time I drove through, about an hour and a quarter to an hour and half from Sheffield (depending on traffic), and 15 minutes to the M6.

Obviously Sussex based at the minute, but with a shiny certificate and a whole range of opportunity coming my way… we are now plotting a move back to northern pastures.

With me being Sheffield born and bred, but my partner being unfortunate enough to have been brought into the world on red rose territory…I have been looking at properties in around Cheshire.

Just wondered Whether we have many Blades based within the county and whether they could give any pointers as to which parts of the county are worth looking at in terms of buying affordably, within a decent area.
Heyup!

Depends what you’re looking for and where you need to get to. There’s all sorts across the county

As pointed out above, Stockport has some affordable areas. Also look at the train routes and where you need to get to.

My parents moved from Attercliffe to Poynton, to their shame. Although Cec Coldwell and his missus are buried there. Just over an hour to BDTBL: turn right at the Rising Sun in Hazel Grove and keep going. Poynton is OK.

Don't know what it's like now, but we studied the subsidence in the area as part of my Bachelors degree. You could see how the houses were jacked up in certain areas due to the salt mines.

I'd probably look at Nantwich. Nicer than Crewe and was a decent night out a while ago. No idea what it's like now.

Don't know what it's like now, but we studied the subsidence in the area as part of my Bachelors degree. You could see how the houses were jacked up in certain areas due to the salt mines.

I'd probably look at Nantwich. Nicer than Crewe and was a decent night out a while ago. No idea what it's like now.
It's all sorted now which means the town is growing there are new houses being built everywhere in the area

My parents moved from Attercliffe to Poynton, to their shame. Although Cec Coldwell and his missus are buried there. Just over an hour to BDTBL: turn right at the Rising Sun in Hazel Grove and keep going. Poynton is OK.

+1, but it's not cheap

The place must be crawling with us - moved here 25 years ago and never had to move on.

I’m in Macclesfield, it’s handy for access to Buxton and Manchester. I wouldn’t necessarily buy here right now. You might find more value in nearby Congleton and Leek.

Good luck, always happy to have a chat. I moved to Cheshire from Gleadless in 2005. Good to see some Cheshire Blades on the forum!

Ps Stockport is largely grim and more Greater Manchester, although might be a faster commute to BDTBL.

I live in High Peak close to A6, and Cheshire border, travel to Sheffield by car, approx 45minutes to the Lane, or direct train (when they’re running).
Daughter lives in Poynton, which is more expensive, but it’s a very popular area, especially as the bypass is due to open soon.

Doesn’t make my Top 3 Cheshire landmarks.

3) The Edge at Alderley Edge.
2) The Botanist in Wilmslow
1) Macclesfield Silk Museum.
And Jodrell Bank, of course.

Bloody hell, am I the only Blade still living in Sheffield? :D

Lots of the places that have been mentioned are good but you didn’t mention where you and your partner will be working - commuting from some of them into Manchester is a mare. Sale on the other hand…..

I live in Heaton Mersey, which is a suburb of Stockport. I love it but the prices have got a little silly and I wouldn’t describe it as good value. As others have said above, there are some really lovely areas in Cheshire and it all depends on your budget and your preferences/requirements on location. Some of the villages south of Manchester are nice if not a little pretentious and massively expensive. There is better value around Marple, Macclesfield or the High Peaks, or further west towards Northwich, in my opinion.

I’ve been over here 20 plus years and would be happy to have a chat.

Lots of the places that have been mentioned are good but you didn’t mention where you and your partner will be working - commuting from some of them into Manchester is a mare. Sale on the other hand…..

Both NHS buddy, so have the luxury of being quite flexible.

A topic to finally lure me out of lurker’s corner!

Cheshire (like most counties I guess) has distinct mini regions that all have qualified depending on what you are looking for.

South of the county is a bit meh imo (in that it’s a bit like Shropshire, Staffordshire, or Derbyshire but not as good) but handy for the mainline trains from e.g. Crewe, Congleton. Houses generally cheaper.

North East is the place to be if you are a Lamborghini and Ferrari spotter, area between Knutsford, Wilmslow, Prestbury and Holmes Chapel is full of them. I live in Knutsford and love it here (I own neither a Ferrari or a Lambo but no-one has run me out of town yet). Can get the train direct to Mcr (or Sheffield via Stockport is under 1.5 hours). Normally takes me similar time to get to BDTBL although yesterday was a nightmare as they had shut Snake Pass. House prices astronomical but get cheaper if you go further west e.g Northwich.

Further down the train line (in westerly direction) you get into Barbour jacket country. Lovely countryside and within striking distance of N Wales. Increasing danger of running into Scousers.

Not strictly in Cheshire but worth considering is the area south of Warrington. Excellent transport links to everywhere and still near nice countryside. Warrington was a complete dump but is undergoing some regeneration. Still, you wouldn’t want to go north of the ship canal. Stockton Heath area is worth a look.

The good thing is that there aren’t too many truly shite areas - I’m sure you’ll find somewhere that ticks all your boxes.

A topic to finally lure me out of lurker’s corner!

Cheshire (like most counties I guess) has distinct mini regions that all have qualified depending on what you are looking for.

South of the county is a bit meh imo (in that it’s a bit like Shropshire, Staffordshire, or Derbyshire but not as good) but handy for the mainline trains from e.g. Crewe, Congleton. Houses generally cheaper.

North East is the place to be if you are a Lamborghini and Ferrari spotter, area between Knutsford, Wilmslow, Prestbury and Holmes Chapel is full of them. I live in Knutsford and love it here (I own neither a Ferrari or a Lambo but no-one has run me out of town yet). Can get the train direct to Mcr (or Sheffield via Stockport is under 1.5 hours). Normally takes me similar time to get to BDTBL although yesterday was a nightmare as they had shut Snake Pass. House prices astronomical but get cheaper if you go further west e.g Northwich.

Further down the train line (in westerly direction) you get into Barbour jacket country. Lovely countryside and within striking distance of N Wales. Increasing danger of running into Scousers.

Not strictly in Cheshire but worth considering is the area south of Warrington. Excellent transport links to everywhere and still near nice countryside. Warrington was a complete dump but is undergoing some regeneration. Still, you wouldn’t want to go north of the ship canal. Stockton Heath area is worth a look.

The good thing is that there aren’t too many truly shite areas - I’m sure you’ll find somewhere that ticks all your boxes.
Cheers for taking the time 👍

If anyone here is driving to the Stoke game and has a spare seat, PM me please, will return ticket on Tuesday otherwise

I live in Salford and would agree that Marple, New Mills, High Lane are lovley area's with house prices not too bad. Stear clear of Manchester though as the house prices are completed out of control!

Back
Top Bottom