CONFIRMED Che Adams

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We wanted the money more than we wanted a half-hearted player with potential. I said on more than one occasion that Adams had everything he needed to play at a higher level if he wanted it enough. But this is a similar concept to the old Pratchett boot idea.

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

Except instead of immediate outlay we're talking about opportunity cost. We could have held on to Adams and had £5m or a player of that quality in the team, or we could have had nothing if he'd been a De Girolamo or a Slew. The need to generate some money to pay for a few cheaper players that would do the immediate job outweighed the opportunity cost of holding on to Adams. Fortunately, Wilder's recruitment was good enough that this paid off massively for us.

Sure, it sucks to be a team lower down the ladder since you miss out on quality players and money, but that's how it works. Wherever you look those at the bottom are getting screwed, but this is an inevitable problem of a sport that revolves so heavily around money.

What you state in the last paragraph will only get worse as the established PL clubs eke out every advantage for themselves, aided by the compliant football authorities in this country who bang on about grass roots football investments while ensuring the real money goes to the few who protect their "brand".

Got a few mates that are brum fans as i live in the west midlands, watched a couple games last season and i thought he was dogger! Still throws a hissy fit when he misses a shot/header like it was someone elses fault!

Got a few mates that are brum fans as i live in the west midlands, watched a couple games last season and i thought he was dogger! Still throws a hissy fit when he misses a shot/header like it was someone elses fault!

Sorry, do you mean you went into the woods and watched him play around with someone else's wife?

We sold him. (We'll probably get 2mill all in for him) We got promoted. Fact.

If we'd not sold him... we might have still gone up and might have a player worth 3/4mill (wouldn't have played/proven himself in the championship yet?)... however we also could quite easily still be in league 1 and lost him for even less.

I'm happy enough with how things have turned out. Good luck to him.

Adams as good as he was and has the potential to become sounds like an utter bellend who Wilder would shift as quick as he could. I don't think our manager would have time for Tevez or Ballotelli either, and rightly so IMO.

What you state in the last paragraph will only get worse as the established PL clubs eke out every advantage for themselves, aided by the compliant football authorities in this country who bang on about grass roots football investments while ensuring the real money goes to the few who protect their "brand".

I always go back to a Dario Gradi interview a few years back when he was talking about the way the loan system now operates. The top clubs have huge numbers of players on the books (Chelsea and Man City had 80+ professional contracts when you can only name a quarter of it to ever play) and print money on loan fees. Blackman might be looked at as a good bit of business if Saturday was anything to judge by, but as Gradi put it: twenty years ago you would've signed Blackman for free, not paid the loan fee, and made a profit on him if he went on to be any good and sold to a higher team.

Let's be fair, Ilkeston had the same thing when big Sheffield United came in for him. They could've held on to him and hoped he became the million pound player we sold.

I always go back to a Dario Gradi interview a few years back when he was talking about the way the loan system now operates. The top clubs have huge numbers of players on the books (Chelsea and Man City had 80+ professional contracts when you can only name a quarter of it to ever play) and print money on loan fees. Blackman might be looked at as a good bit of business if Saturday was anything to judge by, but as Gradi put it: twenty years ago you would've signed Blackman for free, not paid the loan fee, and made a profit on him if he went on to be any good and sold to a higher team.

Let's be fair, Ilkeston had the same thing when big Sheffield United came in for him. They could've held on to him and hoped he became the million pound player we sold.
It says something that Rowett is prepared to buy him a second time.

It says something that Rowett is prepared to buy him a second time.

Adams is a talented player and one I wasn't happy to lose. Kind of easy to judge it in hindsight and say Wilder got it right after we stormed the division, but the counter to that is that generally we've let players go and been worse off for it. Still, I'm just accepting that being a "selling club" means being outside of the top dozen or so richest clubs in Europe. Everyone else sells their best players.

Back
Top Bottom