CONFIRMED Che Adams

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Che kind of showed what he's about.
We bought his from a non league club and game him a decent but modest wage.
He quickly impressed and there were rumours that PL clubs were sniffing around.
Many Blades said we have no ambition and would sell him for 1 million
We resisted selling him and gave him a massive pay rise to show our ambition.
However as soon as he'd earnt a big contract his desire and form went downhill
And eventually he was so poor that he couldnt get a place in our team and was mainly sub.
There were rumours that he was more interested in fame and fortune than playing football.
United surprisingly received a big bid from Birmimgham and at the time seemed a no brainer sell.

If we'd have kept him where would he be now?
He may have gone down hill and had a similar career to De Gerolamo.
With Che in the side would we have been promoted last season? Possibly not because he's not a Wilder type
Also we wouldn't have had the funds to bring in better players.

So if we'd have kept Che we could easily still be in league 1 and I reckon if we sold him now we'd get 1 million for him. It's rare anybody would ever offer 5 million for a league 1 player.

Unless you're a Southampton or a Charlton.

That last bit certainly has a ring of truth about it Luke, but it wasn't the lowest bidder. It was the only bid.

Che was in poor form at the time and not good enough to hold down a place in our league 1 side.
He was a good option to bring off the bench though.
I was amazed Birmingham offered so much but they were buying potential for the future.
Whilst ever United we're in league 1, building for the future was very low on the priorities
We were wasting away in that league so the big pressure was instant promotion in the here and now.

Unless you're a Southampton or a Charlton.

That's less than 1% of all transfers at league 1 level.
There's always exceptions especially when PL clubs are involved.

Everton has millions that they can afford to waste so we could have played a little game
And demanded £10 million for DCL but that would be unrealistic because DCL wasn't even good enough to get in our team.

At least with Charlton and Southampton their big players sales at league 1 level were first team players that they needed for their team. We didn't need DCL and haven't missed him so it was free money.

Che was in poor form at the time and not good enough to hold down a place in our league 1 side.
He was a good option to bring off the bench though.

People kept saying this at the time of the deal and it was false. He had been second top scorer and had played 30 odd games. He was a regular. He was sold after only 1 game last season, which he did not start as we didn't want him to get injured and jeapordise the sale.

The idea that he was not one of our better players when he was sold does not stand up to serious scrutiny.

As it happens,we did not miss him and the money was well invested, so all worked out well in the end.

No they wouldn't.

It's hypothetical but if a buying club had a bank balance of £500 million to spend.
Then Birmingham might play a game, refuse a £20 million bid because PSG can easily afford to pay more.
Then when PSG walk away, Brum chase after PSG saying "what was the offer 20 million".
It's an example of the madness of the current transfer market.

Think we've offered £1.6 million for the Blackburn centre half but it seems from reports that they want £5 million. They need instant promotion this season or their club will be in big trouble.

Any young, established British player in the top 2 leagues is worth a lot of money now. We could easily demand 4-5m for O'Connell and what did we pay for him ? Hopefully weve learned our lesson and when Brooks leaves it will be for a similar fee to what Charlton got for Lookman.

The idea that he was not one of our better players when he was sold does not stand up to serious scrutiny.

It does in our house.

He had been second top scorer and had played 30 odd games.

It was 41 games and he managed 12 goals, a somewhat poorer rate of return than Billy had or what Leon had done prior to joining us.

He had no tactical awareness, was seemingly incapable of tracking back and had no ethic of team work. After his brace against Spurs I really thought we had a player, but subsequent games made me realise we had a mardy selfish lad good for a few goals per season. If his attitude in training was similar to his on field displays then I honestly think CW would have taken £200k just to get him out of the club.

It does in our house.

It was 41 games and he managed 12 goals, a somewhat poorer rate of return than Billy had or what Leon had done prior to joining us.

He had no tactical awareness, was seemingly incapable of tracking back and had no ethic of team work. After his brace against Spurs I really thought we had a player, but subsequent games made me realise we had a mardy selfish lad good for a few goals per season. If his attitude in training was similar to his on field displays then I honestly think CW would have taken £200k just to get him out of the club.

At the time people were saying 12 goals was nothing. It was nonsense then and it's nonsense now.

It was nonsense then and it's nonsense now.

So has he suddenly become a proper team player then, capable of performing the 'normal' duties of a footballer or does he still stand on the shit line moaning for his team mates to get it up to him?

So has he suddenly become a proper team player then, capable of performing the 'normal' duties of a footballer or does he still stand on the shit line moaning for his team mates to get it up to him?

I have no idea. I didn't pay any attention to Birmingham last season. The only thing I know is he saved them from relegation in the last game.

What I knew at the time was that for all his faults he was one of our best players in a poor season.

Can't knock twelve goals for a young lad and he clearly has something. What he didn't have towards the end of his time with us was any desire to play for us. Clearly had his ear bent by his agent about interest in him and went all big time Charlie with Hammondesque performances .

Wilder was fully aware of this and made his decision, which personally, I doubt he has sleepless nights over.

He's gone, not a "legend" not that popular even, the only reason he gets mentioned so often is he's one of the the new club beating sticks.

Can't knock twelve goals for a young lad and he clearly has something. What he didn't have towards the end of his time with us was any desire to play for us. Clearly had his ear bent by his agent about interest in him and went all big time Charlie with Hammondesque performances .

The transfer deal was supposed to be completed before the start of last season but Adams stupidly tried to change his agent (which is against the rules) when it came to seeing through the transfer. A few weeks later the transfer was complete and Adams had to use the same agent. Dont know if he now has a different agent

My view -

Wilder clearly didn't fancy him and used the funds to improve the team / pay debts because we were floundering in league 1 for 6 years. That's fair enough and it's worked out - can't really complain.

My point of view has always been a million quid is nothing these days. Had we held our nerve and knocked back the bid - I'm sure wilder would have got more out of him and he would have played regularly given how many games the likes of Done got.

We would hen have got a player on our books who would be worth 5 million now or on a years time after proving himself in league one. A million quid isn't enough to get someone with his potential now not by a long shot - it would barely get 30 year old Ricky Holmes.

You could sell 5 players for 1 million each and make 5 million but on the off chance just one of them does really well even if 4 do nothing and get released you'd still get more money in the end by keeping hold of them and selling once they have proved themselves

Good player.

Was then.

Is now.

You were told but preferred to use ill advised tweets as ammunition against him to portray him as some sort of antichrist !

Perfect foil for Billy.

It's a shame he wanted to leave but the lure of the dollar is strong !

On top of which, Wilder wanted the fee to strengthen other areas.

But let's not kid ourselves Clarke, Hanson and Lavery are upgrades !

Shame.

No surprise to me he is attracting attention from top Championship sides with figures of £5m+ bandied about.

GLTTL.

UTB

Wilder was fully aware of this and made his decision, which personally, I doubt he has sleepless nights over.

He's gone, not a "legend" not that popular even, the only reason he gets mentioned so often is he's one of the the new club beating sticks.

I think for me it was more the Twitter shit when he left, a bit of humility might have helped. Water under the bridge, we move on, he moves on.

I think it is fair to say most of us thought we had a good player in Adams then the lad got called up to the England youngsters, a league one player just out of non league mixing with Premiership starlets. Che thought he had made it and came back to us a diving cunt where before he would stay on his feet and use his strength. He started clapping weight on no doubt fuelled by nights out with McNulty and co on the pop, lost any pace he had, couldn't take the ball past any clogger of a defender, started missing training etc etc Adkins lost control of him and a few more who were all a cancer that needed cutting out of the club. Thank god for Wilder who saw he and a few others were disrupting the squad and got rid. It might have been the wake up call Che needed but his scoring record at Brum remains very poor.

Ché Adams is an individually good player who is absolutely incapable of playing a team role. He'll probably outscore Clarke and Hanson but a team with either of those two in would do better than the same 10 players plus Adams.

Wilder suffers neither idiots nor fools gladly and Adams was both idiot and fool rolled into one. He was no good for the atmosphere at the club - how much more professional is it now? - and I'm glad we got shut when we did.

He's got the perfect manager in Redknapp, a man who cares little for tactics.

A talented player with a bit of arrogance in his Ability and a bad attitude towards his team
Natural finisher who if he knuckles down could become a good player but in my view was still a very raw talent and not willing to learn

Not really what we needed then or now but equally the mess the club was in then anyone with any real belief they could play at a higher level would want to leave and usually would

Maybe we should have held out for £5 million for Jordan Slew?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Also you can't compare prices from 2 years with today's prices.
Wilder himself says the market has gone crazy in the last few months.
If the next TV deal means all PL clubs receive a minimum 300 million before the start starts
Then means if a PL club wants Leon Clarke, then the bidding starts at £10 million.
So if a club offered £3 million today for Leon should we refuse it?

Agreed hindsight is a wonderful thing, they are all gambles and with any gamble you can't expect to win every time.

Tufty didn't want him. He would not have been selected last season; neither would that other tyro DCL.

Are the same people that laughed at me for saying we should've held out for £5m for him now surprised that Birmingham are rejecting £5m bids?

We've too many fans stuck in the past
But the fans don't set the price. The board does, after consulting with the manager.

Adams reminded me of teammates I've had in Sunday league teams. Doesn't do a lot for the team and only interested in himself, then at the end of the season asks everyone how many goals they've scored, and boasts that he's got 12. Despite not being interested in defending or working for the team - yes 12 goals looked like a decent return but we don't miss him and the team is far better as a result.

We wanted the money more than we wanted a half-hearted player with potential. I said on more than one occasion that Adams had everything he needed to play at a higher level if he wanted it enough. But this is a similar concept to the old Pratchett boot idea.

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

Except instead of immediate outlay we're talking about opportunity cost. We could have held on to Adams and had £5m or a player of that quality in the team, or we could have had nothing if he'd been a De Girolamo or a Slew. The need to generate some money to pay for a few cheaper players that would do the immediate job outweighed the opportunity cost of holding on to Adams. Fortunately, Wilder's recruitment was good enough that this paid off massively for us.

Sure, it sucks to be a team lower down the ladder since you miss out on quality players and money, but that's how it works. Wherever you look those at the bottom are getting screwed, but this is an inevitable problem of a sport that revolves so heavily around money.

Back
Top Bottom