Can't remember such media ridicule?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Burnley are getting a "pass" from the pundits because Kompany is a "fashionable" manager. He's got PL pedigree, and he played for, and captained, media darlings City. To them, it doesn't matter how shite Burnley are, they are "Vincent Kompany's Burnley" so their shortcomings will be, to an extent, overlooked, and replaced with words like "plucky, brave" etc.

We on the other hand have an unfashionable, agricultural manager, who says things that upset the applecart. Plus we are almost irredeemably shit (saturday's result notwithstanding).

Both teams are clearly out of their depth at this level, so are rightly getting pelters left right and centre from the pundits and media. Difference is Burnley have a media darling manager.

The media were angling for a ‘dream’ narrative of Gerrard to Liverpool, Lampard to Chelsea and Kompany to City.

Any criticism spoils the credibility.

In truth Lampard did worse that Gary Rowett at Derby in terms of points and I don’t remember him being one of the candidates for the Chelsea job. Warnock has gone in and improved more teams you can care to remember and Wilder whipped him with a lesser budget when he was at Derby. Where was the media clamour for them?

Gerrard did well to take advantage of a season of transition at Celtic but got out when he knew they’d be back once they got their house in order. He did nothing at Villa and is living on his name rather than his ability in Saudi Arabia.

Then comes Kompany. Finished ahead of us with a freshly relegated team and plenty of funds from player sales and then spunked 100m+ to be worse than Luton by 7 points and better than us by goal difference and that is massively helped by some questionable refereeing that saw McBurnie take two yellows to give them a free run at 10 men for 50+ minutes; I watched them both recently and the second is never a yellow. If it is then prepare for games to finish 8 v 8 with both centre backs and centre forwards gone in each game. I feel he gets very harsh treatment from the Refs that I don’t see with other more glamourous clubs.

So whilst we have complained we don’t have a plan at times or under Wilder we are finding our way, what is Kompany’s plan? Because it’s a pretty shit one to be level with us if we are so bad!

Nothing against Burnley, another hard working northern club, but the free pass and almost complete absence of criticism of Kompany because of the wider narrative sticks in the craw.

Guaranteed if Pep decides he’s had enough Kompany will be propelled to the top of the list.

Hopefully we can edge ahead of them just to show the media up for being such a bunch of biased knownowts.
Pretty much spot on! All this bollax about 'having an identity', 'projects' and 'philosophies'; in reality all that is happening is the media are demanding that clubs do the marketing of the PL and by extension the TV companies and Media Organisations for them. The more 'fashionable' the 'product' the more attention, the more money and the more advertising revenue they receive and in turn back to the more money they can cream for themselves from the honey pot that is football. All this from what was once the 'common man's game'.

In terms of the ridicule you are receiving, a lot probably comes from the above, but I wonder if a lot of what you fans are feeling is simply down to the media spotlight you are under being in the PL? When you were getting beat by teams you should probably have been beating down in League 1 not long ago, you would get beat without barely a paragraph written. Now, with all this 24/7 scrutiny over the most minor details to fuel the beast, the attention is just microscopic and obviously with the reach of the PL, global. We all want our clubs to be well received and in the media for the right reasons, but I wouldn't worry what the mass media say at your level as it is all just self-perpetuating bollax designed to keep feeding the beast.

I wouldn't say we have been an embarrassment.

I'm not saying we deserve to stay up either but at the start of the season we ran totteham and City close.

We won against wolves

Since wilder has taken over we have looked more competitive.

Newcastle and villa were absolutely an embarrassment but west ham lost 6-0 against arsenal last week.

You're talking shit.

Stop being a little fanny.

We're bottom of the league for a reason because we're fucking shit.

Please just have a look at the league table and stop making lame excuses.

If pundits want to slag us off then let them because they're entitled to.

You're talking shit.

Please don't hold back.

Glad you got that off your chest.

Please don't hold back.

Glad you got that off your chest.

You're probably one of these Blades who proudly boasts, 'No-one likes us, we don't care!'.

But then you start crying and pissing your pants when some irrelevant pundit says something bad about us.

We're shit. End of story.

Suck it up.

You're talking shit.

I think the immortal words "Fuck off to Hillsborough" are apt here.

Not cos I think you are a pig btw, of course you are a Blade. But because, well with 'fans' like you, who needs enemies.

Yes, we are bottom of the league, yes we have been (largely) shit this season. However, in my book, it's at times like these that we buckle down as fans. If the world is against us, then fuck em, we dig in. If (when) we go down, then we go down fighting.

You're probably one of these Blades who proudly boasts, 'No-one likes us, we don't care!'.

But then you start crying and pissing your pants when some irrelevant pundit says something bad about us.

Suck it up.
Nope. I'm one of those blades who realises there are 72 teams worse than us the the efl. We are probably outperforming ourselves by being in the PL in the first place and I am not going to stress myself out about it.

I will take the ups and the downs but I also get a bit annoyed when we don't get credit when it's due.

I'm going to have a beer and remain hopeful that we can get a result tomorrow.

UTB

Suck it up.
I’ll disagree with you on a few things Pedro
But not this , this please like us shite
Is like Pigs 🐷 going on about attendances
Please like us because for 3 years in 90’s we were good ( Them not us )
I can see how we’ve played all season with my own eyes and it’s been wank mostly
I’ll always back Dem Blades but if they play shit I’m not polishing that turd and will call it out
Everyday I wear my colours , shirt -top - badge couldn’t give a fuck what anybody says
be cheering em on tomorrow and hopefully in person next month
UTB

I’ll disagree with you on a few things Pedro
But not this , this please like us shite
Is like Pigs 🐷 going on about attendances
Please like us because for 3 years in 90’s we were good ( Them not us )
I can see how we’ve played all season with my own eyes and it’s been wank mostly
I’ll always back Dem Blades but if they play shit I’m not polishing that turd and will call it out
Everyday I wear my colours , shirt -top - badge couldn’t give a fuck what anybody says
be cheering em on tomorrow and hopefully in person next month
UTB
Here's an idea about how the Premier League reporting goes - from the Man City v Chelsea game being played at the moment
Quote from live reporting on BBC website after 75 mins

"It is all Manchester City at the moment with Chelsea opting to try to defend what they have.
BOLD TACTICS, WILL IT PAY OFF? "

Fucking BOLD TACTICS?
Are they taking the piss???

Well, PeterNdlovu081 is right, we have been an embarrassment for all but a handful of games this season, but surely the point is that the ridicule hasn't been distributed proportionately because VincentKompanysBurnley have a media darling in charge. Friend of the pundits, hero to the football wankerati and, of course, he tries to do things "the right way".

Take out their result against us to show how they've been performing against the other, competent, sides in the league and we find that (having played one game more) they have:-

-fewer wins than us
-more defeats than us
-fewer points than us
-fewer goals scored than us
-the same number as goals conceded as us

We really shouldn't be shouldering the entire shitshow burden ourselves

If I was to do a combined Villa side from 82 and the current team most would be from the 82 team. Martinez - Swain - Evans - konsa/Torres - Digne Mortimer - Cowans - Kamara - Morley - Withe - Shaw
Gordon Cowans had still got it when he came to us.

Peter Withe not so much……

Well, PeterNdlovu081 is right, we have been an embarrassment for all but a handful of games this season, but surely the point is that the ridicule hasn't been distributed proportionately because VincentKompanysBurnley have a media darling in charge. Friend of the pundits, hero to the football wankerati and, of course, he tries to do things "the right way".

Take out their result against us to show how they've been performing against the other, competent, sides in the league and we find that (having played one game more) they have:-

-fewer wins than us
-more defeats than us
-fewer points than us

They’ve spent a shit load more, there was more expectation on them, I don’t think they sold anyone who was instrumental to their promotion, those they lost through loans, they spent money to replace?

Is Kompany a good manager? Yeah, think so. Although.. the Championship was weak last year, compared to this. See Hecky. But, I think it just shows that the PL is miles away from the champ. That’s the sad part. Luton have got away with confusing the fuck out of some managers, which is great, but it’s not sustainable!

I think we’ll end up on 28 max. Which is alright. I just hope we don’t finish bottom. That would be the achievement.

As a sort of neutral, I'm not sure there's so much ridicule, more of just an acceptance that it's been mostly terrible

-fewer wins than us
-more defeats than us
-fewer points than us

Yet you have commentators during their game with Arsenal today apparently saying "Burnley are in a false position." as if to imply but for a few bad results they should be higher up the table.

Yet you have commentators during their game with Arsenal today apparently saying "Burnley are in a false position." as if to imply but for a few bad results they should be higher up the table.

Let them.

It's to our advantage for them to make Kompany sound comfortable in his position.

Just to address Sandwich Gate no man born from his mother's cunt would hold conversation with someone who's eating a sandwich and looking like your least important thing on planet. It'd boil my piss and I'm with him on that.

FA don't like people who speak there mind. They can get fucked.
I love it when people quote Shakespeare. Was it from McBeth that one? 😉

There’s many truths in the argument that Burnley are worse, and have spent more, however if you let them dick you 5-0 and sit lower than them in the league the points are rather mute.
Stop being fannies and giving a shit.
Even if we catch them our argument is still piss poor, we’re shit but you spent a fortune and are shitter. It’s hardly a win.
Finish higher than them, batter them at home, start being tough to beat and all that stuff, but really the only important thing now is next season as to who finisher higher.

Last edited:
Just read Chris Sutton's BBC predictor article. Don't know why I bother but:

"Beating the Hatters gave Chris Wilder's side a tiny glimmer of hope of avoiding the drop but, after this result, I am expecting them to feel as flat as a leftover pancake from Shrove Tuesday."

Cock.
Yes, Sutton is a cock, but not for saying that.

It’s not the ridicule that concerns me (we’ve deserved that), It’s the utter contempt and the open dislike of us, that is quite disappointing.
Wasn't there when we were playing well in 2019/20. It's because we have been a waste of a promotion slot for most the season.

Wasn't there when we were playing well in 2019/20. It's because we have been a waste of a promotion slot for most the season.
Now those comments from pundits do annoy me.
Its not been wasted, its ours through merit, and its up to us what we do with it. The inference from those comments is only the clubs with billionaire owners or who will risk the future of the club should be promoted. Fuck you, we’ll do what we want and we’ve earned that right.

Nah not even Norwich got this crap even though it was an open secret that Norwich were there for the money and didn't expect to stay up.

Nah not even Norwich got this crap even though it was pretty a open secret that Norwich were there for the money and didn't expect to stay up.
Norwich would at least sign young talents. We have been shit and STILL need a massive rebuild

Norwich would at least sign young talents. We have been shit and STILL need a massive rebuild

We signed young players at the start of the summer. Our business model isn't too dissimilar to Norwich's, another club that can't afford to compete at this level.

They were looking like contenders for Derby's record too but never got as much shit flung their way as we have.

1975/1976 season. On one TV show, a photo of a rickety old boat comesnup on screen; some comedian or other comments “That’s the SS Sheffield United, because it’s always at the bottom.” My 10-year-old sides split.

Same season, Celebrity Squares, one question is, “Which football team is nicknamed The Saints?” Nicholas Parsons, I think it was, replied: “The Saints are, of course, Sheffield United because they get crucified every week!” Foot through telly, mum and dad take it out of my pocket money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom