Can't remember such media ridicule?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Despite the utter gross witnessed in L1, we knew we'd climb out eventually. Whilst it was deflating, I wanted to experience the turnaround.

At present, it very much feels like we've peaked and I can't see how the club will ever reinvent itself into an established top flight competitor.

Its a different level of deflation.

Any media scrutiny/stick we get will always pale in comparison to what we went through with Ched Evans... so I'm really not that bothered unless/until it affects our footballing operations

I was having this argument with my uncle (in his 60s) on Saturday. He went home and away through the 80s/early 90s.
He said that this is the "worst United team he's ever seen"

My argument to this was that it's nowhere near.
He watched a team get relegated to Division 4, so by default, that is the worst team ever.
I agreed that results-wise, yeah, probably the worst. Its not the worst team though. In my time, the worst team ever was Adkins' team in 2015.

We then got onto strikers. Edwards is his favourite player. "None of these strikers are good enough to lace his boots. He was better than them all"
Erm, really? There's no denying that he was a prolific striker and obviously a fan favourite, but we're talking football in the 1980s. It's moved on soooo far from back then.
The standard of mid-low Championship is probably on par with the top of, what was, Division 1 back then. That's how much the game has progressed.
So in comparison, what is Edwards? He was a prolific goalscorer in the bottom 2 divisions... in the 1980s. Goals-wise, yes! Fantastic player for us, but it's all relative. We were in the bottom 2 divisions back then.

I would also say that this United team would wipe the floor with Warnocks 2007 relegated side.
Again, that's how far football has moved on in the time between.
As ridiculous a post as I've ever read. To suggest that the likes of European cup winning Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest and the superb Liverpool teams are on a par with the likes of Blackburn and Stoke now, is absurd. Souness, Dalglish, Rush, Robertson, Francis, Brady, Hoddle, Ardiles, Southall,. All comparable to championship players in your view?
The standard of lower leagues in the 80's was far higher than now. One substitute meant the top teams couldn't hoard players, so they piled their trade lower down.
The championship players would actually be playing in the 3rd and 4th now.
Hatton, Edwards, Morris and Kenworthy all played in the 4th. All would walk into this team. 2007 team miles better than this one. This team wouldn't wipe the floor with anybody on a comparative level.

there's nothing discernible there that you could hang your hat on about Sheff U, what you are, what you're trying to be or do.
This is where you’re wrong, we set out to be a completely non-competitive PL side and so far we’re delivering and I’d say even over-achieving in that respect.

As ridiculous a post as I've ever read. To suggest that the likes of European cup winning Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest and the superb Liverpool teams are on a par with the likes of Blackburn and Stoke now, is absurd. Souness, Dalglish, Rush, Robertson, Francis, Brady, Hoddle, Ardiles, Southall,. All comparable to championship players in your view?

There was no sports science and conditioning. There was no data being logged to enable players to be in peak physical condition.
Everybody was playing pissed back then. Most of them are tee-total during the season these days.

Souness, Dalglish etc. at their absolute PEAK wouldn't see out 90 minutes against a team these days. They'd literally tire out in half hour.

Also worth noting is that there was hardly any players playing abroad. The Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest and Liverpool teams you mention had 100% British/Irish players.
Now we have the best players in the World in the English game.
There's a reason that Liverpool were able to play Monchengladbach in 1977 and Club Brugge in the 1978 - because they had all the best German and Belgian players at the time (because everybody played in their home countries).
There's a reason why neither of those teams have been in European finals since the 1970s.
How many of the current Belgium squad actually play in Belgium? I'd guess at <20%

Today's Forest team would beat the 1979 Forest team
Today's Villa team would beat the 1982 Villa team
Today's Liverpool team would beat the 1977 & 78 Liverpool teams

Last edited:
The standard of lower leagues in the 80's was far higher than now. One substitute meant the top teams couldn't hoard players, so they piled their trade lower down.
The championship players would actually be playing in the 3rd and 4th now.
Hatton, Edwards, Morris and Kenworthy all played in the 4th. All would walk into this team. 2007 team miles better than this one. This team wouldn't wipe the floor with anybody on a comparative level.

So based on that 👆

I assume that England National team were a dominant force in the 1980s? They have to have been as we had top flight standard players playing in Division 4 🤷‍♂️

In the 20years between 1972 and 1992, England either didn't qualify for, or didn't get out of the group stage at the Euros

Rosy retrospection - a tendency to recall the past more fondly than the present. It is a cognitive bias that runs parallel with the concept of nostalgia,

For what it’s worth my view is we’ve clearly had much worse teams over the years but I can’t remember a time when we were so massively out of our depth in the league we were in. I think that’s the bit that’s so hard about this season for me. Even in the crap seasons of the past when we have been shite we’ve never been as far behind virtually every other team we have to play as we are now.

There was no sports science and conditioning. There was no data being logged to enable players to be in peak physical condition.
Everybody was playing pissed back then. Most of them are tee-total during the season these days.

Souness, Dalglish etc. at their absolute PEAK wouldn't see out 90 minutes against a team these days. They'd literally tire out in half hour.

Also worth noting is that there was hardly any players playing abroad. The Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest and Liverpool teams you mention had 100% British/Irish players.
There's a reason that Liverpool were able to play Monchengladbach in 1977 and Club Brugge in the 1978 - because they had all the best German and Belgian players at the time (because everybody played in their home countries). There's a reason why neither of those teams have been in European finals since the 1970s.
How many of the current Belgium squad actually play in Belgium? I'd guess at <20%

Fitter, faster, taller, stronger effectively.
The world of sport has come along since then. Be interesting to see if you put a player from those era's and had them now as a youngster how good they could be with the latest science technology etc.

Any media scrutiny/stick we get will always pale in comparison to what we went through with Ched Evans... so I'm really not that bothered unless/until it affects our footballing operations
Who cares about media ... they wanna stick with their fashionable faves .... f**k em!

Fitter, faster, taller, stronger effectively.
The world of sport has come along since then. Be interesting to see if you put a player from those era's and had them now as a youngster how good they could be with the latest science technology etc.

God yeah.
Imagine George Best but conditioned like a 21st century athlete. Now that is a scary thought

Derby got it worse during and are still talked about now alot for that season, good chance we can overtake derby's crown.

So based on that 👆

I assume that England National team were a dominant force in the 1980s? They have to have been as we had top flight standard players playing in Division 4 🤷‍♂️

In the 20years between 1972 and 1992, England either didn't qualify for, or didn't get out of the group stage at the Euros

Rosy retrospection - a tendency to recall the past more fondly than the present. It is a cognitive bias that runs parallel with the concept of nostalgia,
It's better than commenting on something you cant recollect, because you didn't see it.
England is nothing to do with your original point. The 4 players I quoted all played in the top flight. The gap was far less than now, because basically most premier league teams have 20 plus players competent at that level. In the 80's the substitute players would have been playing in the other 3 divisions just to get a game. Peter Taylor got picked for England if I remember correctly whilst in the 3rd division.

There's a reason that Liverpool were able to play Monchengladbach in 1977 and Club Brugge in the 1978 - because they had all the best German and Belgian players at the time (because everybody played in their home countries).
There's a reason why neither of those teams have been in European finals since the 1970s.

You've managed to top your previous post for absurdity!

Best was as fit as a fiddle to play football. You don't need to be an athlete. He was as hard as nails and tremendously brave in having the guts to face diabolical tackles.
Whilst we don’t know how older generations of players would get on nowadays, it’s not wrong to say that modern day players are on a different level athletically to those of yesteryear.

We’re talking the 6ft+ brick shithouses that seem to make up most players in most teams at the top level around the world.

There are the odd notable exceptions but not many.

Derby got it worse during and are still talked about now alot for that season, good chance we can overtake derby's crown.

No chance mate.

Here are the current worse teams to ever play in the Premier League.

2015-16 Aston Villa 17 points
2018-19 Huddersfield 16 points
2005-06 Sunderland 15 points
2007-08 Derby 10 points

I remember at the time many thinking the Sunderland low of 15 points would take some beating
then Derby came along to scrape an incredibly low 10 points, don't think that record low will ever be beaten.

We're currently on 10 points, so only need 1 more point from our last 15 games.
I'll donate £50 to this website if we fail to beat Derby's "worse PL team ever" record.

I reckon we'll end up on around 20 points.

Rarely bothers me.

Much of the criticism is warranted but it's when they're poorly researched or spout nonsense, I can occasionally be a little irked. Usually though it just shows themselves up for being a crap journo or pundit.

The lazy platitudes or lack of understanding of the club's situation is usually the one that I shake my head at. Jamie Redknapp is one of the few high profile types who I've heard give a fair summing up of our position.

No chance mate.

Here are the current worse teams to ever play in the Premier League.

2015-16 Aston Villa 17 points
2018-19 Huddersfield 16 points
2005-06 Sunderland 15 points
2007-08 Derby 10 points

I remember at the time many thinking the Sunderland low of 15 points would take some beating
then Derby came along to scrape an incredibly low 10 points, don't think that record low will ever be beaten.

We're currently on 10 points, so only need 1 more point from our last 15 games.
I'll donate £50 to this website if we fail to beat Derby's "worse PL team ever" record.

I reckon we'll end up on around 20 points.
Derby got 11

For what it’s worth my view is we’ve clearly had much worse teams over the years but I can’t remember a time when we were so massively out of our depth in the league we were in. I think that’s the bit that’s so hard about this season for me. Even in the crap seasons of the past when we have been shite we’ve never been as far behind virtually every other team we have to play as we are now.

This is a crucial point in the discussion on levels of embarrassment on another thread .

When we went down the leagues and ended up in the 4th. the disappointment / embarrassment suffered then was from that of often being beaten by clubs of a much lower standing than our own working with much lower revenues and no history of any meaningful success .

However , I don’t recall a single game from that era where were totally outclassed to the extent that we seemed like a team from two or three levels below the one we were playing in and really not fit to be there . This season and in Wilder’s second one in the PL these have been a regular occurrence and deeply embarrassing .

That being the case and hurtful though it may be , I am not in the least surprised at the derision we have attracted from certain sections of the media and supporters of other clubs .

I tend to leave the question of women in football well alone. I have no view one way or other. However, I listened to the Villa game on 5Live and was astounded by the lady commentator who took it on herself to take the piss and generally patronise the Blades for virtually the entire game, abetted to a degree by Waddle, who I guess just went along with it for an easy time. Its bad enough when blokes do it, but women just pisses me off.
I think my anger is down to the fact that they know jack $hit what they are talking about.

Last edited:
the difference from the outside looking in (I'm a Villa fan) is that Burnley get a sort of pass because they have a clear identity and as poor (maybe naïve) as they've been you can see what they're trying to do. Now, I've only see you twice and every other time its highlights but there's nothing discernible there that you could hang your hat on about Sheff U, what you are, what you're trying to be or do. It's obvious that the players aren't good enough but neither were Luton's up to a month or two back. They've recruited well but you know how and what they're trying to do also and everyone has bought into that.

Relegation is as certain as anything can be, but the powers that be need to write this season off and plan for not next season but in two season's time. build the team to ensure you have a proper shape and identity and togetherness for the next time you may be in the Prem.
Spot on - well put . I’ve no idea what we are trying to do but much much more worrying is that neither has the owner and now it seems the manager

And that’s the point exactly- people debating about if this team is the worst ever is like trying to pick pepper out of fly shit

Spot on - well put . I’ve no idea what we are trying to do but much much more worrying is that neither has the owner and now it seems the manager
I do hope we can finish above Burnley.

It will just go to show how ridiculous it has been them hardly ever getting picked at by the media.

When you consider it is only a red card assisted win that put them above us and then how many reds we should have seen against us that didn’t go our way. Brentford and a second yellow for Nuñez being two without even thinking.

I’d love it. Throw in Forest and Everton and it would be such a robbery if we stayed up! I hope they throw the book at Forest. No end of bullshit should be swallowed. They could have sold Johnson earlier for less. They took the gamble of waiting, for more, but only after the cut off. So fuck’em. If Chansiri can’t backdate the stadium, the rules should apply just as much to them.

Not watching/reading basically any legacy "media" makes it easy to avoid what the OP is on about

This is true, burnley our nearest rivals thrashed us 5 0, I fully expect luton to hammer us at the weekend

Back
Top Bottom