Can we talk about Goalkeepers?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Or you could sign a defender as well or maybe even more than one
Again, sure so long as it’s not at a massively over inflated price due to the January tax.
You’ve also got to convince players to join this side for this season. I think the summer is an easier sell, plus I think Anel, Trusty, Bogle and RND /Lowe can work next season but they need time to be coached and drilled.

I’d be very very surprised if Wilder doesn’t get a new keeper in January.

That’s not my personal opinion on Wes, but my reading of how Wilder views the position. We’ve seen him address it ruthlessly twice before.
Wilder signed him but didn't play him.

I think we will be seeing a new keeper coming in January

Nah. Let's keep playing Wes.

No one could possibly be better than Wes as SUFC goalkeeper. There are about 70 odd championship goalkeepers and every last fucking one of them is worse than Wes. Apparently.

Nah. Let's keep playing Wes.

No one could possibly be better than Wes as SUFC goalkeeper. There are about 70 odd championship goalkeepers and every last fucking one of them is worse than Wes. Apparently.
Given that there are only 24 Championship teams, about two thirds of those 70 odd Championship keepers aren't even good enough to get in a Championship side.

Given that there are only 24 Championship teams, about two thirds of those 70 odd Championship keepers aren't even good enough to get in a Championship side.

Ok. Football league goalkeepers then.

But then I think you knew what I was trying to say anyway.

Ok. Football league goalkeepers then.

But then I think you knew what I was trying to say anyway.
As long as we sign someone better than Wes, it's fine, last thing we need is another similar player or another Davies.

Sam Johnstone is out of favour at Palace, got to be worth a punt?
Sam Johnstone has only missed the last two games through injury, he played every game until then, even when Henderson was fit.

Need a keeper who will be number 1 for the next 5 years at a minimum.

Wes has done what was asked for the last 3 years but isn't good enough.

Get johannson in the summer and don't accept anything less anymore
What is the obsession with Johannson? Bottom of the Championship keeper soon to be League 1. Today Wes probably at fault with first goal difficult to see if it got a nick on the way through but the 2nd and 3rd he had no time to react. Ironically if we are seriously looking at a replacement Marek Rodák from Fulham is out of contract end of this season and he did his time in Rotherham (not sure why this matters) he is also a bit taller than both of the other 2 and has experience

Foderingham’s confidence is completely shot. I actually feel sorry for him as he was good for us last season(mostly). However he has shipped so many goals this season including 8 v Newcastle & 5 v Burnley & Arsenal. He needs a break to get his head straight again. I’d play Davies against City & Gillingham - not that I see him as the answer……but just cos I think we need to give Wes some head space. We still might need him if we have no money for a new keeper in January, so we need to help him get his confidence back.

Foderingham’s confidence is completely shot. I actually feel sorry for him as he was good for us last season(mostly). However he has shipped so many goals this season including 8 v Newcastle & 5 v Burnley & Arsenal. He needs a break to get his head straight again. I’d play Davies against City & Gillingham - not that I see him as the answer……but just cos I think we need to give Wes some head space. We still might need him if we have no money for a new keeper in January, so we need to help him get his confidence back.
Don’t disagree with giving Davies some game time and actually making him work for a living but I don’t see us bringing in a new keeper in January. Unless we tap the loan market, on a full time deal, price and why would you want to come to us at the moment surely massive decisive factors

As long as we sign someone better than Wes, it's fine, last thing we need is another similar player or another Davies.

Sam Johnstone has only missed the last two games through injury, he played every game until then, even when Henderson was fit.
Should be in even better shape than I thought then.

He won't be at Rotherham in the summer he will be sold in this window. as he would be on a free.We should know all about him !
Will cost a few million ! is he what we need?if so we must surely get him quickly to bed in,hopefully halfa season in prem will entice sim here.
Had another stormer for Millers today.

Ramsdale just as bad for us in the Prem if not worse. He let in more howlers than I've had hot dinners and somehow got a move to Arsenal.

What I really can't stand about Wes is how he slows the game, always lets the opposition have plenty of time to regroup, and then distributes the ball straight to them more often than not.

A few around us said the same thing, his distribution is atrocious and ponderous..

Like Wilder said, we are dropping too deep, but again I would put that into the goalkeepers responsibility.

A good goalkeeper commands his box and is yelling at his defenders to push out all the time.

In reality Wes should be forward where our defenders are currently sitting and our defenders 5 yards further than that.

Not only would that give Wes a better starting spot to come and claim crosses but it also means attackers wouldn't be able to head the ball from point blank range without likely being offside.

Hi Stegosauerus here

I said all along Wes was nowhere near a PL keeper. Yet got absolutely roasted for it by posters who saw him make a few half-decent saves in the first few matches.

There is a good reason his parents named him League 1 Wes.

Hi Stegosauerus here

I said all along Wes was nowhere near a PL keeper. Yet got absolutely roasted for it by posters who saw him make a few half-decent saves in the first few matches.

There is a good reason his parents named him League 1 Wes.
Parents? I thought it was his Rangers boss. Maybe they were closer than I thought

Maybe we can get Anana on loan as he fucks up every game also but is a hundred million pound keeper.

Who do people suggest we try and sign btw? Every keeper has a mistake in them but their usual form is a result of the defensive performance and right now our defence is questionable.

Unfortunately keepers are always directly blamed and responsible for silly goals conceded. Granted, I'd love a top ten premier league quality keeper but it's out of our grasp.

Showing why his nickname is league one wes. There's a reason why he was 3rd choice in our first season under wilder.
He also began as third choice after Ramsdale and Verrips in 21 22. Only got his chance after the terrible Verrips performance v WBA after Ramsdale had refused to play in that match.

He was shocking yesterday & their first 2 definitely down to him , the centre backs now are seating on the 6 yard box trying to defend as they have no confidence in the msn behind them .
A change is definitely needed now even if it’s Amissah in the short term as Wes confidence and the players around him look shot to pieces

Solid Champ keeper, nowhere near PL level.

Hopefully Johansson comes in Jan.
That would be a good move. The presenter on radio Sheffield seemed to be flagging this last night.

It was a terrible decision not to sign a competitive goalkeeper in the summer, we were always exposed to injury, suspension or form and it's the latter we are now suffering with.

The main difference in our squad this season vs previous premier league seasons in recent memory is the goalkeeper department.

Henderson - Ramsdale - Foderingham.

Ramsdale had a patchy start, but both of those previous keepers are substantially better than Foderingham- it’s not even close.

He was brought in to be nothing more than a backup option and was only promoted to the first XI following how comically woeful Olsen turned out to be.

We’ve gone from having two of the hottest prospects in the country as our first choice keepers, for back-to-back seasons, to someone who hadn’t played higher than league one in English football prior to signing for us.

He was never meant to be our first choice keeper, but in a combination of squad mismanagement at board level spurred on by an, admittedly quite extended, run of unprecedented form from Wes himself has meant we’re now in a situation where I’d argue even many championship clubs have more depth in goal.

Just look at our goalkeeping options compared to the other newly promoted clubs:

Foderingham, Davies, Amissah
Kaminski, Shea, Krul
Trafford, Muric, Vigoreaux

Each of our rivals have bolstered their goalkeeping options over the summer- and whilst none of them are world beaters by any stretch of the imagination I’d probably take several of them as our first choice over Foderingham at the moment.

I’ve never been particularly convinced by Wes- going back to his first appearance for us against Burnley in the cup. But even when he was at his best it was when we had one of the strongest defences in the league. He has cost us more points this season than any other player and if we had (successfully) strengthened in the goal keeping position over summer I am convinced we would be at least within touching distance of safety.

Last edited:

Isn't Ramsdale available? 😂 😂

Ive defended Wes in the past, but i cant anymore, surely this has to be our number one priority position to fill in January, surely?

Wes has cost us more points than anyone else in the team this season.

At the very least he should be dropped and Davies given a chance until a new GK comes in.
Things are so predictable now, when the ball is given to the keeper. Teams just back off a bit and put 2 defenders on to our attackers, and Wes kicks it to them. He is also too slow with any other type of distribution.

Back
Top Bottom