Can we talk about Goalkeepers?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sam Johnstone is out of favour at Palace, got to be worth a punt?
Wes is dog, he just isn't a good keeper, and at this level he's proper wank

i love wes, he has been integral to us the last few yrs & i think he is a fantastic shotstopper. we wouldn't have been in 21/22 play offs without him. but his all ground game does let him down & it probably is time to replace
At professional level good shot stoppers aren’t that hard to find they really aren’t - ones with a good all round game are a bit harder to find

Yes Wes is to blame, he should’ve been prepared to field shots from both teams. Maybe if we didn’t fucking shoot at him as well as the opposition he might have a chance.

Fuck me we have problems but to say Wes is high up the list is ridiculous.

The fans and the club directors who accept mediocrity are part of the problem.

He isn't good enough. Some of us said this a long time ago (we got away with it in the Championship). Today showed it up as it is.

I'm a way, I'm quite pleased it happened today.

No point dropping a new keeper into this season, it’ll only destroy confidence. Go with what we’ve got in the squad and identify a target for the summer and get them in early.

No point dropping a new keeper into this season, it’ll only destroy confidence. Go with what we’ve got in the squad and identify a target for the summer and get them in early.
Why? Can't be any worse than the current shower we have now?

Showing why his nickname is league one wes. There's a reason why he was 3rd choice in our first season under wilder.

Why? Can't be any worse than the current shower we have now?
It’s not about them being worse, if you they aren’t better there’s no point signing them. It’s about paying an inflated price and then putting a them behind a defence that’s going to be shipping goals left, right and centre due to the defence in front of them and the quality teams were playing.

It’s not about them being worse, if you they aren’t better there’s no point signing them. It’s about paying an inflated price and then putting a them behind a defence that’s going to be shipping goals left, right and centre due to the defence in front of them and the quality teams were playing.
Or you could sign a defender as well or maybe even more than one

Or you could sign a defender as well or maybe even more than one
There’s no point overpaying in January. This team is all but down already.

We may as well save the money for the summer when any new signings won’t get their confidence obliterated and they’ll be more players available.

Yes Wes is to blame, he should’ve been prepared to field shots from both teams. Maybe if we didn’t fucking shoot at him as well as the opposition he might have a chance.

Fuck me we have problems but to say Wes is high up the list is ridiculous.
On current starting 11, he’s 1st on the list I’m afraid

Started the season strong , albeit in a losing team, but mistakes are now weekly

he is going backwards

He’s lost confidence in himself, the defence feels that and it’s a bomb scare at the back

Contrast this to Souza & Trusty, who are improving from the start of the season

Wes is regressing and every fuck up compounds the last

Wilder’s presser was interesting. Talking about defenders constantly dropping into the 6 yard box and not squeezing up. I wonder how much of this is due to a lack of confidence in Wes?
Exactly. A confident and capable keeper would have come for the cross (for their equaliser). The defenders are being left in two minds - unsure of what Wes is going to do.

We need a keeper who is half decent with his feet. It’s so easy to press us and make us play back to Wes who then can only hoof it long and recycle the play to them or slice it into touch. All this about him being a good shot stopper this season is rubbish too, he’s faced probably twice as many shots so naturally will have those better stats.

Wilder’s presser was interesting. Talking about defenders constantly dropping into the 6 yard box and not squeezing up. I wonder how much of this is due to a lack of confidence in Wes?
I thought Wes was at fault for the second. Might just have been the angle I watched it at, but it looked like Robbos' header barely changed the direction of the ball. The cross was infringing towards the far stick.

He's not the greatest, but he's not the worst, and any keeper is bound to make mistakes through the sheer number of times he's called into action by our abysmal defending.

We should maybe look for better but he's the not the greatest of our problems not by a long way
How many times was he called into action today?

Exactly. A confident and capable keeper would have come for the cross (for their equaliser). The defenders are being left in two minds - unsure of what Wes is going to do.
TBH it’s something that’s twigged about what’s wrong with our defence this year, we end up with 3-4 players in the 6 yard box too often.

I’d be very very surprised if Wilder doesn’t get a new keeper in January.

That’s not my personal opinion on Wes, but my reading of how Wilder views the position. We’ve seen him address it ruthlessly twice before.

I thought Wes was at fault for the second. Might just have been the angle I watched it at, but it looked like Robbos' header barely changed the direction of the ball. The cross was infringing towards the far stick.
It was certainly weird that he didn’t anticipate the flight of the ball. Is it going in without Robbo’s header?

Why? If the keeper does not shout for it, you deal with it, if the keeper does shout for it, it's his. Probably the first thing you learn as a defender.

He's not the greatest, but he's not the worst, and any keeper is bound to make mistakes through the sheer number of times he's called into action by our abysmal defending.

We should maybe look for better but he's the not the greatest of our problems not by a long way
He makes constant mistakes not isolated mistakes.
He is the greatest problem of many problems

Back
Top Bottom