CONFIRMED Cameron Archer signs for the Blades - 4 year contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I would actually love it if the media team did this, but did it as badly as possible by sticking random pictures of Archer's head over Ndiaye's and someone dubbing his name over Ndiaye's with a bad impression of Billy Sharp. Basically a video version of this:

View attachment 169025
LOL
Did u see Burnley announce Ramsey, some there is having a laugh and has a good sense of humour

1000025962.jpg
Are we 100% sure Bettis isn't just buying one of these to clean the Kop bogs?

If anyone wants to do some handling pressure jokes, please feel free, I couldn't come up with owt

What does Nincompoop Humpaback say about this transfer?

Keeping it simple, for those catching up on the many additional pages today:

If true, we're certainly being cautious.
Maybe overcautious? If he has a good season but we still go down, we'd probably double our money by selling him.

Maybe overcautious? If he has a good season but we still go down, we'd probably double our money by selling him.
Villa will have made sure they have something in the deal to make it worth it for them too. We can't just have it all our own way, or they wouldn;t do the deal.

But we wouldn't get him in the first place.

You just know he's a brewster mk2 where we'll go down and he'll be crap.

If he has a good enough season to justify doubling his transfer value and becoming a 40m player the likelihood is Sheffield would not be relegated. You only need to finish above Luton, Everton, and one other to stay in the PL. That doesn't sound impossible.
But Sheffield United would be taking on a big risk too. If Archer has a crap campaign and takes Sheffield United down then u put him in a taxi back to Birmingham and make a small cash profit and a bigger FFP profit and u are not lumbered with him. I can't blame the board for wanting to avoid another Brewster, as another poster highlighted, the similarities in player reputation between Archer and Brewster are quite striking

Effectively yes, but from an FFP perspective, it is a permanent sale and hence this just highlights a loophole that is being abused by Villa with the assistance of Sheffield United. I expect there is very little money changing hands too. U will be paying 1m or 2m upfront and the balance if u get relegated and when we pay u 20m for Archer. It looks like a very clever financial agreement. Blades don't have to cough up cash now, you are protected against another Brewster situation and u get a good striker for the PL to help try and keep you up. Villa benefits by registering an 18m profit and Archer gets first team experience. The only risk to Sheffield United is if Archer turns to gold, gets and England call up and knocks in 20 goals. Then Villa will buy him back but it would still be 30m+ imo so the risk is you would 'only' make a profit of about 19m/15m on a player. A pretty high class problem imo
Agreed it's a good 'problem' to have. I really don't see any downsides to this from our POV.

If this deal comes off its quite inventive and could be revolutionary for future deals, given the FFP situation for loads of clubs in the prem.

If this deal comes off its quite inventive and could be revolutionary for future deals, given the FFP situation for loads of clubs in the prem.
I think the FFP people will see this as a loophole and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rules to prevent clubs from doing this going forward. It is a cracking deal for a newly promoted club and allows the parent club to fudge their FFP numbers. A genuinely win win transfer. So hats off to whoever between Sheffield United and Villa came up with the idea.

The best striker I saw at the Lane last season and look forward to seeing how he does in the Prem. He will need service so adding another 1 or 2 creative players will be key.

I think the FFP people will see this as a loophole and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rules to prevent clubs from doing this going forward. It is a cracking deal for a newly promoted club and allows the parent club to fudge their FFP numbers. A genuinely win win transfer. So hats off to whoever between Sheffield United and Villa came up with the idea.
Hope Man City are taking note - McAtee and Doyle for a couple of Mil please.

Last edited:
TBH we don’t need to know the ins and outs of the deal for at least 9 months.

All I want is to see this lad pull a Blades shirt on and rip the PL up making himself a star in the process. Him with Hamer plus Sousa, Slimane and Davi’s in MF with hopefully Pallistri and a striker we could make a fist of the bottom 1/3rd this season.

Or Archer joins Marc Bosman in the elite club of players who get a rule named after them. A rule which will probably be summed up as "clubs will no longer be allowed to 'do an Archer'"

So if true and we go down, which lets face it, is the most likely option, we're in the same position again in 12 months time of needing a striker. Except this time we'll have another 3 out of contract (Jebbison, McBurnie & Osula), so we'll need 3 strikers - assuming they won't sign which isn't looking very likely at the moment.

We really are the masters of kicking the can down the road for another 12 months and putting ourselves in a weaker and weaker position.

So if true and we go down, which lets face it, is the most likely option, we're in the same position again in 12 months time of needing a striker. Except this time we'll have another 3 out of contract (Jebbison, McBurnie & Osula), so we'll need 3 strikers - assuming they won't sign which isn't looking very likely at the moment.

We really are the masters of kicking the can down the road for another 12 months and putting ourselves in a weaker and weaker position.
Not looking likely because we haven’t tried properly, wait till after the window is over that’s when I’d expect contract news to pick up

It's a huge assumption, but, I'd hope we can negotiate in our ability to trigger the buy back, rather than it auto trigger on relegation.

It gives us an option to keep archer regardless.

Yep. Last summer we kicked the can so far down the road we ended up in the Premier League.

Back
Top Bottom