Match Thread Burnley v. Sheffield United - 29th December 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BUR
BUR
BUR

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1609156250102.png v. 1609156257794.png
EPL Week 16 - Tuesday 29th December 2020 - Turf Moor

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/burnley-vs-sheffield-united.524/

Officials:

Referee:
Chris Kavanagh
Assistant Referee: Gary Beswick
Assistant Referee: Sian Massey-Ellis
Fourth Official: Michael Oliver
Video Assistant Referee: Peter Bankes
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Matthew Wilkes

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

Screenshot 2020-12-29 at 17.52.12.png
📺 Live TV Coverage:

Last edited:

The only player who brought the ball out and drove forward was Basham we have to get him in midfield even if it means a back four. Baldock always checks back when he could drive for the by-line, get Bogle in front of him at least he can run at players and make something happen. Ampadu awful again giving the ball away weak as piss in general and especially on the goal. Poor Brewster looks lost men against boys but there is a player in there but not at all ready for this level.

Absolute wank.

WIlder was done for me after West Brom.

The Prince needs to act now & start planning for next season without Wilder. If we dont try & arrest the slide then we could drop even further.

Wilder should quit tonight & we can then try & regroup & get more points than Derbys & go down fighting.

As things stand we are down without an ounce of fight.
Bring in who?

The only player who brought the ball out and drove forward was Basham we have to get him in midfield even if it means a back four. Baldock always checks back when he could drive for the by-line, get Bogle in front of him at least he can run at players and make something happen. Ampadu awful again giving the ball away weak as piss in general and especially on the goal. Poor Brewster looks lost men against boys but there is a player in there but not at all ready for this level.
Thought Egan brought the ball out a lot more than he usually does, hope he keeps it up.
Bang on about Baldock. He's doesn't even try to take his opponent on anymore.
Brewster looks lost and playing with us is going to do him no good.

Yeah because the crowd will get on their backs .... ffs
I'll make allowances for the fact that you are very young or very stupid, and certainly very bad mannered, but do you somehow believe that a team that hasn't won a game since July is going to be full of confidence, or lacking in it ?

A dreadful example of bottom half Championship football at Turf Moor tonight.

One thing I did notice was how static our forwards are. They hardly make a move let alone a run. It's no wonder we never thread any passes through. Burke at least does that. Mousset and Brewster don't. McGoldrick drops deep for the ball.

It was a very close game but we never really looked like scoring. Our biggest threat came down the left from Stevens who put some early crosses in. Not a lot else. We are so slow going forward. Brewster, McGoldrick and Mousset turn backwards as soon as they get the ball, slowing everything down and giving the defence chance to get back into shape. Slow, ponderous, devoid or any quality, guile or intelligence. Burnley were better organised than us and wanted it more. They were more determined, cleverer and worked harder. Quite a few of our players lack a footballing brain. On a few occasions our wingbacks got forward and there was no one busting a gut to get in the box or in the box.

I doubt these kind of performances or attitude would keep us out of League 1.

Ramsdale - 6.5 - Made two very good saves first half and came out to clear a couple of times but little else to do. For me, he should have been collecting that cross for their goal. Pope would have caught it. He was very slightly blocked and instead of shoving their forward out of the way, gave up. It's a dolly just outside the the 6 yard area, very hard to defend as you're static.
Stevens - 7.5 - Our main threat going forward until Wilder decided to take that threat away and play him as part of the three. The only player seemingly willing to play passes and crosses first time.
Robinson - 5.5 - Slow, ponderous, looked liable to drop a bollock at any moment
Egan - 6.5 - I thought he was second best for much of tonight. Stuck at it but Wood had his number really. Get .5 for that shot.
Bash - 6 - Got forward well early on but didn't really do much with it. Again, had another hard battle and did ok against very little going forward.
Baldock - 5.5 - Got forward once well but his first reaction is to stop and look backwards. Thought he looked a bit iffy in defence and often a little late.
Osborn - 4 - Gets a point for keeping going but was woeful first half and made error after error. Got forward more second half but made a raft of bad decisions
Ampadu - 3.5 - Similar to Osborn really. Ran around a fair deal but his decision making is poor. Always looking for the easy option and week on and off the ball.
McGoldrick - 5.5 - Kept coming deep to get the ball and joined much of our play up. He looked tired though and his general play was too slow. Did a couple of nice things later on but needs to be more forward focused.
Brewster - 4.5- Put the most effort in I've seen in a game. Most things he did went woefully wrong. Crosses out of play. Passes to no one. Looked more likely to shoot but then he is so slow of thought and action that he lost the ball on a few occasions.
Mousset - 2.5 - Put a vague amount of effort in, looked slow to react and incapable of holding the ball up. I really don't see what he offers whatsoever. Plus, incapable of lasting 90 minutes so why even bother with him?

Subs (fuck me)

Fleck - 1 - One of the most useless performances I've seen since the glory days of League 1. Incredibly slow. Not involved. When he does get the ball just loses it from being so fucking slow. Jesus wept.
Burke - 5 - Came on and at least caused them some problems for 5 minutes. The only forward trying to make runs and do something. Shame there's no one with any vision in the team. After 15 minutes of energy, nothing.
Norwood - 2 - Can't tackle or track or defend. Put in one decent corner so get an extra mark. Gives stupid fouls away

Wilder - 3 - Tried something a little different whilst largely playing the same way which hasn't worked since we last won towards the end of the fourteenth century. Subs were awful. Saw nothing to suggest he can do anything about this.

Sick of hearing this.

Who?

Like there isnt a WHOLE FUCKING WORLD of football managers to chose from.

For me.

Van Winkle. Till End of season. steady the ship. Try & gets some W's on the board.
If your wanting a manger gone, you're going to be asked who.

Lots of comments of how s**t we are! no urgency, we ain’t got a clue etc.

United did enough today to win the game, FULL STOP! but to win you need to score and we don’t have that special sticker or special midfielder with that special pass! Basically that’s down to our recruitment! I actually think today Brewster had his best game, plenty of effort and running BUT he still didn’t run the line, moving defenders about, putting himself about, like attacking the front post, make runs! many times he waited for the pass to come before moving, reacting to the pass instead of making the run and therefore receiving the pass in space. We all know he has to learn is trade but we can’t afford that. Thought Moose was poor, Burke not good enough, runs like an headless chicken. Too many chances to get the ball in the box but with no big lads in the box? turning back and across. Again and again. We had so much possession!

A dreadful example of bottom half Championship football at Turf Moor tonight.

One thing I did notice was how static our forwards are. They hardly make a move let alone a run. It's no wonder we never thread any passes through. Burke at least does that. Mousset and Brewster don't. McGoldrick drops deep for the ball.

It was a very close game but we never really looked like scoring. Our biggest threat came down the left from Stevens who put some early crosses in. Not a lot else. We are so slow going forward. Brewster, McGoldrick and Mousset turn backwards as soon as they get the ball, slowing everything down and giving the defence chance to get back into shape. Slow, ponderous, devoid or any quality, guile or intelligence. Burnley were better organised than us and wanted it more. They were more determined, cleverer and worked harder. Quite a few of our players lack a footballing brain. On a few occasions our wingbacks got forward and there was no one busting a gut to get in the box or in the box.

I doubt these kind of performances or attitude would keep us out of League 1.

Ramsdale - 6.5 - Made two very good saves first half and came out to clear a couple of times but little else to do. For me, he should have been collecting that cross for their goal. Pope would have caught it. He was very slightly blocked and instead of shoving their forward out of the way, gave up. It's a dolly just outside the the 6 yard area, very hard to defend as you're static.
Stevens - 7.5 - Our main threat going forward until Wilder decided to take that threat away and play him as part of the three. The only player seemingly willing to play passes and crosses first time.
Robinson - 5.5 - Slow, ponderous, looked liable to drop a bollock at any moment
Egan - 6.5 - I thought he was second best for much of tonight. Stuck at it but Wood had his number really. Get .5 for that shot.
Bash - 6 - Got forward well early on but didn't really do much with it. Again, had another hard battle and did ok against very little going forward.
Baldock - 5.5 - Got forward once well but his first reaction is to stop and look backwards. Thought he looked a bit iffy in defence and often a little late.
Osborn - 4 - Gets a point for keeping going but was woeful first half and made error after error. Got forward more second half but made a raft of bad decisions
Ampadu - 3.5 - Similar to Osborn really. Ran around a fair deal but his decision making is poor. Always looking for the easy option and week on and off the ball.
McGoldrick - 5.5 - Kept coming deep to get the ball and joined much of our play up. He looked tired though and his general play was too slow. Did a couple of nice things later on but needs to be more forward focused.
Brewster - 4.5- Put the most effort in I've seen in a game. Most things he did went woefully wrong. Crosses out of play. Passes to no one. Looked more likely to shoot but then he is so slow of thought and action that he lost the ball on a few occasions.
Mousset - 2.5 - Put a vague amount of effort in, looked slow to react and incapable of holding the ball up. I really don't see what he offers whatsoever. Plus, incapable of lasting 90 minutes so why even bother with him?

Subs (fuck me)

Fleck - 1 - One of the most useless performances I've seen since the glory days of League 1. Incredibly slow. Not involved. When he does get the ball just loses it from being so fucking slow. Jesus wept.
Burke - 5 - Came on and at least caused them some problems for 5 minutes. The only forward trying to make runs and do something. Shame there's no one with any vision in the team. After 15 minutes of energy, nothing.
Norwood - 2 - Can't tackle or track or defend. Put in one decent corner so get an extra mark. Gives stupid fouls away

Wilder - 3 - Tried something a little different whilst largely playing the same way which hasn't worked since we last won towards the end of the fourteenth century. Subs were awful. Saw nothing to suggest he can do anything about this.
Liked this for the 1/10 for Fleck. He really has well and truly shit the bed. You’d think he’d be busting a gut to prove Wilder wrong after the humiliation at Brighton, but oh no - it’s come on, stroll around, give the ball away repeatedly, and generally be no fucking use whatsoever. He used to be a good footballer. What on Earth is wrong with him?

Liked this for the 1/10 for Fleck. He really has well and truly shit the bed. You’d think he’d be busting a gut to prove Wilder wrong after the humiliation at Brighton, but oh no - it’s come on, stroll around, give the ball away repeatedly, and generally be no fucking use whatsoever. He used to be a good footballer. What on Earth is wrong with him?

Well he has spent most of his career pissing his talent away, so maybe reverting to type? We did pick him up for free from Coventry.

another game alot leeds, west ham & west Brom we didnt playing badly these are not the derby & Sunderland performance i remember. we always in the game. its like a boxer losing 115/113 every week & 2nd half was alright,

but it reminds of 3 games in 1st lockdown. arsenal in cup, Burnley A & Everton H. like then we have zero creativity. because any team if you dominate the ball for half against a premier league team you need to be creating something. for all the ball we had & how Burnley might as well stayed in dressing room for attacking threat they were. we also hardly tested pope. we need some creativity in that midfield & very quickly. the striker i feel can come good of/when they get service

but as turns out what wilder wants & what he can get is different thing. its seems he wanted to shop in Morrisons when most are in waitrose but got told to go to aldi. because as i said over Christmas. it was revealed he wanted Callum Wilson bit couldnt afford the wages. but thats confusing in its self because we can afford 23m & wages for Brewster. but spending 15-18m on Wilson & spending the 4m wages is out of budget despite it "cheaper" than Brewster

another game alot leeds, west ham & west Brom we didnt playing badly these are not the derby & Sunderland performance i remember. we always in the game. its like a boxer losing 115/113 every week & 2nd half was alright,

but it reminds of 3 games in 1st lockdown. arsenal in cup, Burnley A & Everton H. like then we have zero creativity. because any team if you dominate the ball for half against a premier league team you need to be creating something. for all the ball we had & how Burnley might as well stayed in dressing room for attacking threat they were. we also hardly tested pope. we need some creativity in that midfield & very quickly. the striker i feel can come good of/when they get service

but as turns out what wilder wants & what he can get is different thing. its seems he wanted to shop in Morrisons when most are in waitrose but got told to go to aldi. because as i said over Christmas. it was revealed he wanted Callum Wilson bit couldnt afford the wages. but thats confusing in its self because we can afford 23m & wages for Brewster. but spending 15-18m on Wilson & spending the 4m wages is out of budget despite it "cheaper" than Brewster
That's not strictly true. He's spent 130m in total. He chose to spend the money on Brewster. He also chose the players totalling 130m too. Recruitment has been absolutely dire.

I'll make allowances for the fact that you are very young or very stupid, and certainly very bad mannered, but do you somehow believe that a team that hasn't won a game since July is going to be full of confidence, or lacking in it ?
I am neither, but you I can only aasume are very nieve if you think a lack of confidence is anywhere near as significant a factor on players trying something different as that of thousands of fans getting on their back.
Wilder himself has said the players should not have the same level of fear as there is are no fans to criticise mistakes.

I am neither, but you I can only aasume are very nieve if you think a lack of confidence is anywhere near as significant a factor on players trying something different as that of thousands of fans getting on their back.
Wilder himself has said the players should not have the same level of fear as there is are no fans to criticise mistakes.
Sorry, but I can't be bothered with someone who thinks confidence isn't a factor, just because there are no fans present. It's really dumb to be honest.
Oh, and it's 'naive' by the way.

That's not strictly true. He's spent 130m in total. He chose to spend the money on Brewster. He also chose the players totalling 130m too. Recruitment has been absolutely dire.

he wanted calum wilson but couldnt match the wages bournemouth were paying, so he goes to newcastle. which is weird as i dont get why you can be rich in fees & poor in wages. it all comes from same pot

but the same issue im sure was with robinson, cash, watkins & there only so many times you can try for potenial. you can spend 23m on a player but if your only giving 30 grand its still an issue

He's spent 130m in total. He chose to spend the money on Brewster. He also chose the players totalling 130m too. Recruitment has been absolutely dire.
Not his first choices
He wanted Maupay, Watkins, Cash, Robinson, and probably quite a few others that we dont know about
but we got outbid mainly on wages ,so hes signing his 3rd and 4th choices which you might be able to get away with in whilst in the Championship but very rarely in the PL

Not his first choices
He wanted Maupay, Watkins, Cash, Robinson, and probably quite a few others that we dont know about
but we got outbid mainly on wages ,so hes signing his 3rd and 4th choices which you might be able to get away with in whilst in the Championship but very rarely in the PL
I am guessing the only two he really wanted were McBurnie and Berge.

Not his first choices

The problem with having such a limited pool of players is that you are then forced into riskier signings. (3rd... 4th choice etc)

Surely the better option would have been to look at players abroad to try and get better quality and value? Or get abit more PL experience (Carson, Welbeck etc) lower fees but higher wages.

We simply have to stop with this small time mentality of only signing British players.

Whatever happens with Wilder, we need to dramatically change our recruitment and scouting priorities.

Like who? Didn’t see any real quality in the Burnley team tonight.
I’m talking about a team that gets results as a unit despite individual shortcomings - like we used to be before we lost the faith....... Plus, I think you’re being somewhat unfair, Mee was excellent and, collectively, I’d take their 1st choice front 3 over ours any day.

I’m talking about a team that gets results as a unit despite individual shortcomings - like we used to be before we lost the faith....... Plus, I think you’re being somewhat unfair, Mee was excellent and, collectively, I’d take their 1st choice front 3 over ours any day.
I thought Ben Mee had a good game don’t get me wrong. And I’ve always been a Barnes fan. Wasn’t playing last night but I rate McNeil also for them.
But the aforementioned players aren’t World beaters, it just makes me think every time I see a post that’s praises the opposition.
Burnley are pretty average... and that’s not me having a go at them it’s just the reality. Tbh most of the league is pretty average.
You can bet you’re bottom dollar that had they not scored from the corner, then those players you mentioned would’ve received a few pelters from their fans!
I don’t know... maybe Klopp will come in with a 50+ mil bid for Mee in the window.
Burnley did what Burnley do... and all credit to them, they got the 3pts.
But any team that has just 35% possession against us has clearly played in a manner that I for one am not at all envious of.

Back
Top Bottom