Bring Back Bash

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I had hoped that Slav was likely to pick some players based on the opposition, or home and away status.
I was disappointed with the line up for the Boro game, because Slav is supposed to know Warnock quite well.
Maybe some of his picks are more subjective choices, like Fleck and Norwood? Both good players on their day, but not suited to gritty opposition like Boro? Maybe his picks are based on what he sees in training? Who knows.
The selection for the Bournemouth game game needs a few shithousing players, at least on the Bench. Get physical with them and let skill players like Ndaye and MGW off the leash.

All players deserve a chance to start games, based on their ability and the different opposition. That includes Basham, Sharp and McGoldrick. They won’t be around forever, but nether will our loan players.

I just don't buy this idea that Bash cannot play in a two. Its like people are judging him on how he played before Wilder arrived. Sure, 3 at the back, makes the best use of his qualities. But, season in season out over 5 years his game in every aspect, improved immeasurably, technically and tactically. It was not just placing him in the right hole. 2 years ago, we finished the season with the 4th best defence, in the best league in the world and he was our player of the year. Even in the shambles of last season, he largely maintained his standards. On that basis, I would judge him a Premiership class defender, albeit in back 3, then surely he is more than competent to be one of two central defenders in the Championship. I would be less sure of him in midfield, but again, I am not going to judge him when he was last there. Again in the Prem, he was largely technically sound in possession ( if limited in range) and superb when carrying it.

I don't like this passing it about in our own penalty area bollocks, causes more problems than benefits.
It's a strange one, I can understand it being played by the top prem teams who are very comfortable in possession. They can beat the press and launch a quick attack.
Why Championship and some league 1 teams are playing it, is beyond me.

It's a strange one, I can understand it being played by the top prem teams who are very comfortable in possession. They can beat the press and launch a quick attack.
The other option is to bang it into midfield for their players to win the first and second balls against our impish players so it makes little difference.

Many teams in non league play the same football.

Ian Evatt got Barrow promoted into league 2 on a small budget playing out from the back. That you need to be world class to play that style has been proven wrong a million times over.

I just don't buy this idea that Bash cannot play in a two. Its like people are judging him on how he played before Wilder arrived. Sure, 3 at the back, makes the best use of his qualities. But, season in season out over 5 years his game in every aspect, improved immeasurably, technically and tactically. It was not just placing him in the right hole. 2 years ago, we finished the season with the 4th best defence, in the best league in the world and he was our player of the year. Even in the shambles of last season, he largely maintained his standards. On that basis, I would judge him a Premiership class defender, albeit in back 3, then surely he is more than competent to be one of two central defenders in the Championship. I would be less sure of him in midfield, but again, I am not going to judge him when he was last there. Again in the Prem, he was largely technically sound in possession ( if limited in range) and superb when carrying it.

Don’t judge Bash on 1 or 2 seasons.
Judge him on his career….playing in a 2 he’s proved that’s he’s lower Championship to upper/ average league 1 standard.

However in defence of any central defender it’s not so much how they perform individually. It’s about the understanding and how they perform in a pair and the relationship they have with the goalie.

So even though I don’t think he’ll be good enough in a 2 I would, at least give Basham a chance to show what he can do.

Many teams in non league play the same football.

Ian Evatt got Barrow promoted into league 2 on a small budget playing out from the back. That you need to be world class to play that style has been proven wrong a million times over.
There's a big difference in playing out from the back and this new variation, where they pass it about in their own goal area.
When I watch the EFL highlights there always seems to be a big chance or goal given away playing this way.

There's a big difference in playing out from the back and this new variation, where they pass it about in their own goal area.
When I watch the EFL highlights there always seems to be a big chance or goal given away playing this way.
I disagree, they are both the same. Their own goal area is the "back" from which the phrase "play it out the back" comes from.

im with you on this one they take huge gambles thesedays passing it about from the keeper to centre backs inside their own penalty area yet pass the ball back to the keeper from the half way line im afraid modern football tactics baffle me 🤔

From the early days of Wider, he always envisioned a strong back line who could all play a bit of football.
While Basham was always more than adequate in midfield at that level, Wilder used his height and developed his defensive strengths, when he move him to centre back.

While his credentials as a midfielder may have been less effective at higher levels, he retains his strength, experience and team ethos as a centre back. He has proved his utility as a player, going more experience to go with his love of football.

I see no reason why he cannot produce highly credible performances any where across a back 4 or in a 5. Basham exemplifies the kind of dedicated team player that any manager should love. Given his age, he may be a massive asset as a replacement starter, or a very useful versatile player from the bench.

Back
Top Bottom