Bring Back Bash

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Isaw Joeshaw

Old School Blade
Reaction score
After a dodgy start , by and large I’m reasonably happy with the way things are going under our new manager and particularly the fact that we’re now playing much of our football in the opponents half of the pitch , as opposed to our cringeworthy efforts of last season .

It goes without saying that this has not been entirely successful , but at least the intent is there and that can only be a good thing .

Having said that , I struggle to understand why one of our best and most consistent players , Chris Basham , is being left on the sidelines who I am sure would improve our performances if played in at least two positions , either as a CB partner to Egan or as one of the holding midfielders in place of Fleck or Norwood .

The latter are far too similar being no good in the air , far too casual at times and prone to basic errors such as giving away daft and unnecessary free kicks . There is little doubt in my mind that Bash could replace either of them and be a big improvement .

As to a centre back role alongside Egan , he did this at Swansea and was outstanding . Whilst I have nothing against Ben Davies , I think it fair to say that his performances so far have been less than overwhelming and has given nothing that Bash would not have , but failed to provide a number of things he would have .

After a dodgy start , by and large I’m reasonably happy with the way things are going under our new manager and particularly the fact that we’re now playing much of our football in the opponents half of the pitch , as opposed to our cringeworthy efforts of last season .

It goes without saying that this has not been entirely successful , but at least the intent is there and that can only be a good thing .

Having said that , I struggle to understand why one of our best and most consistent players , Chris Basham , is being left on the sidelines who I am sure would improve our performances if played in at least two positions , either as a CB partner to Egan or as one of the holding midfielders in place of Fleck or Norwood .

The latter are far too similar being no good in the air , far too casual at times and prone to basic errors such as giving away daft and unnecessary free kicks . There is little doubt in my mind that Bash could replace either of them and be a big improvement .

As to a centre back role alongside Egan , he did this at Swansea and was outstanding . Whilst I have nothing against Ben Davies , I think it fair to say that his performances so far have been less than overwhelming and has given nothing that Bash would not have , but failed to provide a number of things he would have .
Norwood and fleck been below average for me and agree bash would give us that bit more bite, he not fitting Slavs plans with the formation being played and it’s a shame cos it isn’t working at the back.
Hope he can see where he is going wrong and put bash in because he would strengthen us 100%

Was frightening watching them coming at us the other day we were wide open then fleck and Norwood were invisible coming back out, we missing a DMC

He would certainly offer more bite in CM and some aerial power but I reckon he's not been given a chance there because he's not a very good 'footballer'. By that I mean with the ball at his feet, requiring close control, tight spaces etc, I just think he'd struggle. He's great at those marauding runs from the back when he sees a gap, but it's entirely different to being neat, tidy, 1 or 2 touch stuff in the middle of the park.

As for CB, maybe they don't see him or Egan operating on the left, perhaps they just want a left footer in that position.

Basham has been used as a centre back in a 2 and he was average to upper league 1 standard.
The big factor with Basham is he‘s so versatile and able to play centre back, right back and midfield.

His career was transformed under Wilder due to the overlapping centre back tactic where he was fantastic.

Bashams centre back shortcomings were protected by having a 3rd centre back (Egan) next to him.
Basham also has fantastic stamina so he was encouraged to get forward into midfield, sometimes he was even in attack.
Our right back Baldock was also encouraged to get forward so he was sometimes defensively exposed.
So yet another task for Basham was to come across to the right back position to cover Baldock.

I don't think bash is so set on a position or style that he can't fit in and improve us as a whole. He's been one of our rocks, and I think he'd do a job for us even 'out of position' .
Didn't CW adapt him into the role that he supposedly now has to play??

Basham has been used as a centre back in a 2 and he was average to upper league 1 standard.
The big factor with Basham is he‘s so versatile and able to play centre back, right back and midfield.

His career was transformed under Wilder due to the overlapping centre back tactic where he was fantastic.

Bashams centre back shortcomings were protected by having a 3rd centre back (Egan) next to him.
Basham also has fantastic stamina so he was encouraged to get forward into midfield, sometimes he was even in attack.
Our right back Baldock was also encouraged to get forward so he was sometimes defensively exposed.
So yet another task for Basham was to come across to the right back position to cover Baldock.
Pretty much this. Bash excelled in Wilder setup due to his stamina being able to get up and down the pitch.

Ability wise there's absolutely no way should he be playing in a 2 man holding midfield. He's just not good enough.

Bash has more than enough ability to play centre back or defensive midfield. His drive & determination are exactly what this team needs to strengthen defensively & allow our creative players to do their job without constantly being dragged back to help out. Just my opinion of course.

might be an idea saturday at bournemouth to go back to a back 3 and put basham in 🤔

Guedioura is the midfielder you mention, defense has been shaky as completely exposed by Norwood and Fleck so despite some shakiness I think that's the main reason we are struggling in that respect

Said the other day that our biggest problem is the way we just surrender the middle of the pitch allowing teams to swarm our defenders at will by just putting a bit of pressure on Fleck & Norwood. Having Bash in there as a bit of insurance behind them & infront of Egan / Davies would go a long way to solving our defensive frailties IMO.

I know reverting to a back 3 would be unacceptable to some as it would mean a regression back to ‘Wilderball’ (which I should add was some of the most excellent football we played when it was at its peak).

I’d be up for Bash Egan Davies in a 3.

well i was one who wanted us to go to a back 4 but i think you have to be flexible with tactics especially in tough away games like bournemouth think a 3421 formation could be interesting down there

Playing from the back - right now we look as shaky as hell. It's always one step away from disaster.

When teams like Chelsea play it - the movement and pace is much much faster and with seconds- they are up the pitch- ours is way too ponderous/ and fails or stalls at the first move on, comes back to Olsen who again doesn't look comfortable.

Bash in this system would heighten 'the panic' - but like everybody its areal shame because in the Chris team he was 1st on the sheet- how things change..

We certainly need more height in the side, I think we only had 3 outfield players 6' or over on Tuesday. We looked like a team of Munchkins compared to Boro.

The midfield we needed on Tuesday was Bash and Addy. I reckon we would have had a better chance that evening with those two.

On a grander scale, I think Sat/Tues tells We need to work out a formation against 2x types of teams in the Championship:

1. Sh*thousing, physical teams
2. Teams who park the bus.

just think especially in away games we cant play both norwood and fleck far too lightweight certainly against physical teams like boro

I definitely don't see Bash as a midfielder, he's looked awful when played there before.
I'd like to see him at RB in games where we need a bit more height and defensive ability

I definitely don't see Bash as a midfielder, he's looked awful when played there before.
I'd like to see him at RB in games where we need a bit more height and defensive ability

As awful than Jimmy Fleck was on Tuesday ?

I think not .

Despite having a forward line that is the envy of the division we play one up top. We have a set of defenders - including wing backs - that all prefer to play in a back three, yet the manager seems welded to 4-2-3-1. Ergo we are not getting the best from those two elements of our squad. When you factor in that our midfielders can't run and us choosing to employ only two to do said defensive running, is it out of order to ask what the hell he's doing? Basham is merely a victim of these absurdities.

P.S. Don't give me the spiel about all the strikers being shite. Their records at this level is there to be seen. Almost every - if not every - manager in this league would swap forward lines with us.

Back
Top Bottom