Brewster for England

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Brewster still had the potential to be a good player, whether that is a player who will ever achieve a valuation of over £20m I very much doubt,
We needed a player who would slot straight into the team and make an impression, not a young development player who Now has the weight of the world on his shoulders.
oh and we needed a creative midfield player not a striker, well done CW.

I've got this funny feeling that he's going to suddenly come good and be the best signing we've ever made.....🤞 🤞 🤞 🪖
Nah, more chance the funny feeling is hemorrhoids than Brewster actually coming good...

Should probably get that checked asap mate! 🙈

There’s no obvious evidence that he is lazy and certainly cannot be accused of “stealing”.
It is not his fault that the Club paid so much for him and agreed such a high salary.
He may only have a few years in football in which he has to give himself security for the future, so I don’t blame him in that respect.
If he didn’t turn up to training or bother when he gets there then my views would be different, but I don’t think the management team would accept that and then include him in the match day squad.
How good or bad he is as a footballer are totally different aspects.
I agree that none of the financial stuff is Rhian's fault, that's the obscene and inflated worship of cash in football. I also agree that footballers need to create some security for their future, as playing beyond 35 is rarely an option.
However, whether they need the "security" of a 5 year contract at £1.4 million a year is questionable. When people don't make the grade in most jobs (and I'm not saying he won't), they're off down the road with a month or (if they're very lucky) six months wages. Football is different, and massive contracts are paid off in the event of things not working out. So a young player could end up with a made for life payout simply for not making the grade. That just seems weird to me, and is far beyond "security".

its hard to see anybody wanting brewster even on loan with his scoring record only club that might be interested would be forest i think now that cooper is there might fancy teaming him up with grabban

I agree that none of the financial stuff is Rhian's fault, that's the obscene and inflated worship of cash in football. I also agree that footballers need to create some security for their future, as playing beyond 35 is rarely an option.
However, whether they need the "security" of a 5 year contract at £1.4 million a year is questionable. When people don't make the grade in most jobs (and I'm not saying he won't), they're off down the road with a month or (if they're very lucky) six months wages. Football is different, and massive contracts are paid off in the event of things not working out. So a young player could end up with a made for life payout simply for not making the grade. That just seems weird to me, and is far beyond "security".
The reason footballers have long contracts is to prevent them handing their notice in and leaving for another team. It gives security to the player, but also security to the team, as they can get a transfer fee for a player under contract. It’s not just about being easy money for a player when a transfer doesn’t work out.

Footballers’ wages are indeed obscene, but the money is in the game, primarily from TV deals, would you rather that money went to the players or the chairmen/owners?

That is false: all the evidence of the last 2 seasons says Brewster is hopeless. His wages and the fee we would want make him impossible to move on a permanent.

All our squad are useless. It has nothing to do with the management 😂.

All our squad are useless. It has nothing to do with the management 😂.
That’s not what I said. I said Brewster was hopeless. Which he is.

3 managers have had McBurnie, Burke and Brewster over the last 50 games: none of those 3 managers have been able to get a good game out of these 3 players in that time save for McBurnie’s performance against Leicester. They’ve scored 2 goals between them in that time.

At what point do we have to recognise that, you know, it might be that the players aren’t very good, or aren’t as good as they used to be?

5 players suffered a complete collapse in form last season - Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Mousset and McBurnie. They were all awful. They were all awful (or injured) before the transfer window closed this season. There has been limited improvement from some of these players since the manager brought new players in to help, but Fleck and Norwood are still nowhere near where they were and McBurnie is still flatlining. The other 2 have been injured though were fit enough to cost us the Bournemouth game between them.

I know it’s an uncomfortable truth for many, but this is not a Bryan Robson situation where a lousy manager is stifling good players. The players aren’t as good as they were, which happens over time, and as whoever was doing transfers in 2020 took leave of their collective senses, there were no decent reinforcements to assist. Only now have we got outfield players in who actually contribute things.

Jokanovic is not perfect (starting Ollie Burke was stupid and he should know better, and his defensive selection leaves something to be desired) but snide remarks about him hide the truth. It’s the players.

That’s not what I said. I said Brewster was hopeless. Which he is.

3 managers have had McBurnie, Burke and Brewster over the last 50 games: none of those 3 managers have been able to get a good game out of these 3 players in that time save for McBurnie’s performance against Leicester. They’ve scored 2 goals between them in that time.

At what point do we have to recognise that, you know, it might be that the players aren’t very good, or aren’t as good as they used to be?

5 players suffered a complete collapse in form last season - Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Mousset and McBurnie. They were all awful. They were all awful (or injured) before the transfer window closed this season. There has been limited improvement from some of these players since the manager brought new players in to help, but Fleck and Norwood are still nowhere near where they were and McBurnie is still flatlining. The other 2 have been injured though were fit enough to cost us the Bournemouth game between them.

I know it’s an uncomfortable truth for many, but this is not a Bryan Robson situation where a lousy manager is stifling good players. The players aren’t as good as they were, which happens over time, and as whoever was doing transfers in 2020 took leave of their collective senses, there were no decent reinforcements to assist. Only now have we got outfield players in who actually contribute things.

Jokanovic is not perfect (starting Ollie Burke was stupid and he should know better, and his defensive selection leaves something to be desired) but snide remarks about him hide the truth. It’s the players.

He's got his his tactics completely wrong since the day he walked through the door, and has failed to improve a single player. Many of our players have top records at the level and the management have failed to get that (or anything close to that!) out of them. Brewster is just one of these players. The rest is baseless excuse making. This is Bryan Robson 2.0 so far: lousy management stifling good players. Hopefully he has the wisdom to rip up everything that he's put in place so far. It has resoundingly failed, so the quicker this is acknowledged the better chance we have . None of these remarks are snide; they are evidenced by the facts. People can bury their head in the sand, it wont change the facts on the ground.

Last edited:
He's got his his tactics completely wrong since the day he walked through the door, and has failed to improve a single player. Many of our players have top records at the level and the management have failed to get that (or anything close to that!) out of them. Brewster is just one of these players. The rest is baseless excuse making. This is Bryan Robson 2.0 so far: lousy management stifling good players. Hopefully he has the wisdom to rip up everything that he's put in place so far. It has resoundingly failed, so the quicker this is acknowledged the better chance we have . None of these remarks are snide; they are evidenced by the facts. People can bury their head in the sand, it wont change the facts on the ground.
4-2-3-1 has been better than anything we've seen in the last 18 months.

Slav knows.

Failed to improve a single player? Sharp and Osborn are much better than last year. Fleck and Norwood are both better (albeit from a low base). And I don’t agree but Berge and McBurnie’s disciples have talked them up.

I remember thinking what a resounding failure Peterborough home was.

He’s not perfect. We play out far too much from the back and there should be a place for Basham. But Bryan Robson? Come on.

Last edited:
I think the dross that our previous manager served up for 18 months removed all the players confidence. This is only just coming back, the unbalanced squad and questionable recruitment has meant that the transition has taken longer than the owner and manager had hoped. In my opinion we are improving from where we were at the start of the season, which is indicative of the manager having a positive influence.

How does a manager improve a player who's (brutally honest here) league one/two quality? How does said manager ensure Brewster gets into a strikers position, not sat having a fag in the centre circle? Very easy to lay the blame at a new manager. He's garbage. hot steaming garbage.

The “they only have a short career” argument really winds me up. First, why should anyone be able to expect to never have to work again from the age of ~ 35? And second, how long a bloody career do you need when you’re being paid £1.4 million a year ?

How does a manager improve a player who's (brutally honest here) league one/two quality? How does said manager ensure Brewster gets into a strikers position, not sat having a fag in the centre circle? Very easy to lay the blame at a new manager. He's garbage. hot steaming garbage.

Getting what Swansea got out of him would be a start.

Failed to improve a single player? Sharp and Osborn are much better than last year. Fleck and Norwood are both better (albeit from a low base). And I don’t agree but Berge and McBurnie’s disciples have talked them up.

I remember thinking what a resounding failure Peterborough home was.

He’s not perfect. We play out far too much from the back and there should be a place for Basham. But Bryan Robson? Come on.

Sharp, Fleck and Norwood are nowhere near the level they were last time we were in the Championship. Hecky was getting more out of Osborn imo, but I'd accept you have an argument there.

4-2-3-1 has been better than anything we've seen in the last 18 months.

Slav knows.

Going from a poor PL team to a poor Championship team is not evidence of tactical wizadry. Not a lot on current evidence.

Sharp, Fleck and Norwood are nowhere near the level they were last time we were in the Championship. Hecky was getting more out of Osborn imo, but I'd accept you have an argument there.
No they aren’t, but

1. They are 3 years older
2. They are doing a hell of a lot more than they did last season.

No they aren’t, but

1. They are 3 years older
2. They are doing a hell of a lot more than they did last season.

1) True, yet still a good age for midfield players
2) We're in the the Championship so I'd expect that.

1) True, yet still a good age for midfield players
2) We're in the the Championship so I'd expect that.
So you agree the players have improved from the last 2 years?

SJ hasn't got everything right, but hes come in to a imbalanced squad devoid of confidence, self belief with a broken system fully ingrained into each player.

He's ripped this up and tried a few different styles, formations and lineups, brought in some new players and have seen clear improvements since the first few games.

We aren't the finished article, but I trust in the direction of travel.

To suggest no improvements in tactics or individual performances is just disingenuous

Some interesting thoughts on here.
Dont really want to wade in to the manager after just 11 games, but it is slightly worrying watching Egan, hourihane and Stevens play better for their country than they do for their club. So maybe something there in the motivation of the Irish lads.
For the sake of balance though I think Slav has done some good ballsy stuff like bring in Ndiaye and MGW and improving the attacking play.
He has started with an aging squad that is unbalanced. Time will tell if he can rebuild it well.
I almost wish he would go even further, faster with the rebuilding and start to bring in players like Lopata and try to get McBurnie and Brewster regular starts. Carrying on with Sharp in every minute of every game is not the answer.
He also still needs to get more strength into midfield, presume we have to wait for the transfer window for that.

OK, for me this is the managers getting to know you period, after being chucked in at the deep end at short notice in for us a very difficult period.
Come the Christmas window he should have a much better idea of what he needs to make the team tick.
It's from then on we should be able to judge him properly, and not so much on the shambles that's been going on in this trial period ..

I think it is far too early to make those conclusions.
There is clear evidence that play is better and more positive than at the start of the season.
Much is still to be done but this manager’s record would suggest improvements will continue, particularly after January.
I can see nothing that is “stifling good players”, that had not already happened last season.

Rightly or wrongly the damage has already been done and there's nothing else he can do. we can only wait to see what happens next,
But this kind of cheap shot helps nether the club nor player,

Back
Top Bottom