Brewster for England

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Whenever (or if ever!) he turns out in a Blades shirt he will get my support, as all the 'Greats, Average & Shite!' before him & presently with him have & still do, during my time supporting the Blades.
I really wanted him to succeed, But I feel no longer able to offer up excuses and/or arguments in defence of his time at SUFC. He is seemingly becoming worse as time goes by, happy to warm a seat on the bench & watch a guy close to twice his age play in his place!!. It's embarrassing.
Part of me remains hopeful that he will prove me (& others!) wrong and 'come good' for us!, though in reality I am increasingly doubtful that he has it in him to make it!.

What would you suggest we do with a player that cost £23m and is struggling for form and confidence
He needs to get away hopefully bag a few goals and regain some form and confidence in front of goal
£23,000,000 player in Division 1? Your joking right?
Maybe Under 23's but if he's crap there, the game is really up

IMHO the blame here doesn't lie with Rhian Brewster. It lies solely at the feet of the man who decided that "spunking" (his own words) a record fee for the club on a young man who, other than a brief purple patch in a division lower than we were in at the time, had never done anything to live up to that sort of billing.

It's all on Wilder. I know there are a lot of people who still (for some reason) clamour for him to "come back" but fact is he signed RB. This is his fuckup, one among several. It must genuinely break RB's heart to see how people talk about him online. He's 21 for fuck's sake! In no way am I saying that he's suddenly going to "come good" and start scoring for fun. My personal opinion is that he's a player who was lucky enough to look good at a (genuinely) "massive" club, and thus his pricetag was enormously overinflated.

Is he good enough for what we need? No.

Does he deserve the sort of vitriol and abuse he gets on here, and on twitter, and probably all over other social media? Also no.

Signing him for that sort of fee is just the latest fuckup from a club that (sadly for all of us) has a long, storied history of fuckups when it comes to transfers, both in and out.

Slate the signing all you want, but lay off the lad involved. Sure, he has a comfortable life of luxury that most of us could never dream of, but also there's a huge thread on this very forum about mental health. Think what your comments could do to a man barely out of his teens, and all for the sole crime of not living up to the expectation that was placed on him, fairly or unfairly, because of an arbitrary sum of money that football clubs deemed he was "worth."

If I was Brewster (or his agent) I would be asking SJ if I was in his plans. If not I would be asking for a loan out in Jan to get regular football.
According to James Shield (I know I know) Brewster is very much still in Slavs plans and will be told as much when he returns to training.

I don't get the sympathy/empathy angle. If he got 5% of his cost as a signing on fee, that's a £1.15 million lump sum. The average salary in the UK is £29,600 per year, and it would take about 39 years work to reach simply his signing on fee. I don't know what his weekly wage is (others may be better informed than me), but even if it's a "modest" (by football standards) £15,000 a week, that's £780,000 or so in the 12 months or so he's been with United. That's not far shy of £2 million in the time he's been here, by my very conservative estimates. It would take someone on a pretty decent salary of £44,500 a year, 45 YEARS to earn what this bloke has had thrown at him in a year. That's essentially a working lifetime.
The machinations of football finance aren't Brewster's fault, but his inability to perform at an acceptable level is. Being not very good but working your socks off and trying very hard to do your best is something we can all sympathise with. Being not very good and seemingly tossing it off whilst looking like you're really not bothered, and being paid ridiculous amounts of money to do it, isn't worthy of sympathy.
According to a quick Google search he is on £1,430,000 a year, then there will be hidden bonuses in there if he does X, Y or Z. In that list it recons he is on more than Billy and the 3rd highest paid at the club. Again I don't know how accurate those figures are https://www.spotrac.com/epl/sheffield-united-fc/payroll/

I don't get the sympathy/empathy angle. If he got 5% of his cost as a signing on fee, that's a £1.15 million lump sum. The average salary in the UK is £29,600 per year, and it would take about 39 years work to reach simply his signing on fee. I don't know what his weekly wage is (others may be better informed than me), but even if it's a "modest" (by football standards) £15,000 a week, that's £780,000 or so in the 12 months or so he's been with United. That's not far shy of £2 million in the time he's been here, by my very conservative estimates. It would take someone on a pretty decent salary of £44,500 a year, 45 YEARS to earn what this bloke has had thrown at him in a year. That's essentially a working lifetime.
The machinations of football finance aren't Brewster's fault, but his inability to perform at an acceptable level is. Being not very good but working your socks off and trying very hard to do your best is something we can all sympathise with. Being not very good and seemingly tossing it off whilst looking like you're really not bothered, and being paid ridiculous amounts of money to do it, isn't worthy of sympathy.
That's my take too-lazy, inept and not very good - he's stealing the money

IMHO the blame here doesn't lie with Rhian Brewster. It lies solely at the feet of the man who decided that "spunking" (his own words) a record fee for the club on a young man who, other than a brief purple patch in a division lower than we were in at the time, had never done anything to live up to that sort of billing.

It's all on Wilder. I know there are a lot of people who still (for some reason) clamour for him to "come back" but fact is he signed RB. This is his fuckup, one among several. It must genuinely break RB's heart to see how people talk about him online. He's 21 for fuck's sake! In no way am I saying that he's suddenly going to "come good" and start scoring for fun. My personal opinion is that he's a player who was lucky enough to look good at a (genuinely) "massive" club, and thus his pricetag was enormously overinflated.

Does he deserve the sort of vitriol and abuse he gets on here, and on twitter, and probably all over other social media? Also no.

Signing him for that sort of fee is just the latest fuckup from a club that (sadly for all of us) has a long, storied history of fuckups when it comes to transfers, both in and out.

Slate the signing all you want, but lay off the lad involved. Sure, he has a comfortable life of luxury that most of us could never dream of, but also there's a huge thread on this very forum about mental health. Think what your comments could do to a man barely out of his teens, and all for the sole crime of not living up to the expectation that was placed on him, fairly or unfairly, because of an arbitrary sum of money that football clubs deemed he was "worth."
Good post with sensible comment.
We all have a rosy view of footballer’s lives, but 75% of them will be divorced after retirement and 40% bankrupt.
It is tough for the majority after they retire, so let’s not make it difficult for this young man whilst he is still playing.

£23,000,000 player in Division 1? Your joking right?
Maybe Under 23's but if he's crap there, the game is really up

Hes currently not worth £23m
U23s is no good he needs mens football
Championship or abroad would be good but if it takes a L1 loan to get him some confidence crack on

After reading some of this lot I have to wonder what kind of crazy cock eyed world I'm living in.
People who for no fault of their own have to live in pain or poverty I can feel for, But I'm sorry, for the vast majority of those who's pain is self inflicted I can't....

Last edited:
Hes currently not worth £23m
U23s is no good he needs mens football
Championship or abroad would be good but if it takes a L1 loan to get him some confidence crack on
Brewster has not ever been worth £23m (or £18m rising to £23m). That we paid that much for him was down to the stubbornness of one man and his ludicrous battle with his boss.

These are very fair comments, and helped me to think about the wider picture. I don't think he deserves vitriol or abuse, but there's no getting away from the fact that he hasn't presented himself very well on the pitch so far, even if we ignore Wilder's role and what appears to be a very inflated fee. I get totally the mental health stuff, and Rhian's riches aren't his fault, but the responsibility to give it a bit of a go is, even at 21.

That's my take too-lazy, inept and not very good - he's stealing the money
There’s no obvious evidence that he is lazy and certainly cannot be accused of “stealing”.
It is not his fault that the Club paid so much for him and agreed such a high salary.
He may only have a few years in football in which he has to give himself security for the future, so I don’t blame him in that respect.
If he didn’t turn up to training or bother when he gets there then my views would be different, but I don’t think the management team would accept that and then include him in the match day squad.
How good or bad he is as a footballer are totally different aspects.

There’s no obvious evidence that he is lazy and certainly cannot be accused of “stealing”.
It is not his fault that the Club paid so much for him and agreed such a high salary.
He may only have a few years in football in which he has to give himself security for the future, so I don’t blame him in that respect.
If he didn’t turn up to training or bother when he gets there then my views would be different, but I don’t think the management team would accept that and then include him in the match day squad.
How good or bad he is as a footballer are totally different aspects.
Definitely not "stealing" a living.. However if he were a Fridge-Freezer.. I think we'd be in touch with the courts for "item not as described/fit for purpose" by now haha

Shouldn’t that be a picture of a crocodile ?
No. A cursory Google search shows the divorce figures around 33% and anyone making poor investment choices can end up bankrupt.

No. A cursory Google search shows the divorce figures around 33% and anyone making poor investment choices can end up bankrupt.
We can argue over figures but today’s announced figures show 75% of footballers get divorced .
I accept the point that anyone can become bankrupt, but why is the figure so high with footballers ? I guess it is because many are simply not prepared for retirement having been effectively institutionalised since they were first part of a professional club and therefore struggle to cope out in the real world.

Definitely not "stealing" a living.. However if he were a Fridge-Freezer.. I think we'd be in touch with the courts for "item not as described/fit for purpose" by now haha
..but who would we sue ? The seller or the buyer ? I don’t think Liverpool did anything wrong so .........

The manager is failing to get the best out of almost the whole squad. The rest is spin. Almost any club in this league would snap our hands off for Brewster amongst others.

The manager is failing to get the best out of almost the whole squad. The rest is spin. Almost any club in this league would snap our hands off for Brewster amongst others.
That is false: all the evidence of the last 2 seasons says Brewster is hopeless. His wages and the fee we would want make him impossible to move on a permanent.

The biggest waste of money since the millennium dome.

In terms of football for the fee spent the biggest waste of money ever, If this was the pigs we would be laughing our bollox off about it and there would probably be a 1000 plus thread of us taking the piss.

The fact we spent nearly 100 million quid on him Mcburnie Berge and Mousset is just mental. 100 million pounds!!!!!

we used to mock Warnock but at least his mistakes tended to be a few quid in comparison.

I`m sorry what ?? He probably has an agent who acts for him who will have said SUFC want to pay you £x.xx is this okay ? Brewster says yes
So you cant say "its not his fault" entirely.

I`m sorry what ?? He probably has an agent who acts for him who will have said SUFC want to pay you £x.xx is this okay ? Brewster says yes
So you cant say "its not his fault" entirely.

Completeley agree with you there

If Brewster simply did not exist as a thing/person then we would not have had the option the buy him

I also blame Liverpool as if they did not exist as a city or football club they would not have been able to ask for the £20 Million

Back
Top Bottom