Brewster for England

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

2012/13 - Jamie Vardy first signed for Leicester, he scored 4 goals in 26 league games.
2013/14 - Scored 16 in 37 as they won the Championship title.
2014/15 - 5 in 34 games as Leicester stayed up by 6 points.
2015/16 - 24 goals in 36 games as Leicester won the league.

Since Leicester won the league Vardy has scored, 13, 20, 18, 23 and 15 premier league goals per season.

It's no coincidence that his 2 seasons where he failed to get double figures were in seasons where Leicester were struggling (14/15) or he wasn't a regular starter (12/13).

Brewster joined us in the worst possible season he could have. We scored 21 goals all season. Now this season he's a bit part player who has started 2 league games.

For me, he needs a run of 3 or 4 starts. It's difficult to have an impact when you're low on confidence and only getting 15mins or less here and there. The problem is, Jokanovic knows that points are the most important aspect of the game so he risks jeopardising the points if he tries to bring on Brewster's game.

Look at Billy Sharp:
07/08 - 4 goals in 29 games.
08/09 - 4 goals in 22 games.
09/10 - goes to Doncaster where he's a regular starter and not being played on the right wing... 16 goals in 33 games.

Last edited:

2012/13 - Jamie Vardy first signed for Leicester, he scored 4 goals in 26 league games.
2013/14 - Scored 16 in 37 as they won the Championship title.
2014/15 - 5 in 34 games as Leicester stayed up by 6 points.
2015/16 - 24 goals in 36 games as Leicester won the league.

Since Leicester won the league Vardy has scored, 13, 20, 18, 23 and 15 premier league goals per season.

It's no coincidence that his 2 seasons where he failed to get double figures were in seasons where Leicester were struggling (14/15) or he wasn't a regular starter (12/13).

Brewster joined us in the worst possible season he could have. We scored 21 goals all season. Now this season he's a bit part player who has started 2 league games.

For me, he needs a run of 3 or 4 starts. It's difficult to have an impact when you're low on confidence and only getting 15mins or less here and there. The problem is, Jokanovic knows that points are the most important aspect of the game so he risks jeopardising the points if he tries to bring on Brewster's game.

EDIT - He scored 11 goals for Swansea, 10 of those were from starts
Brewster does not deserve 3 or 4 starts. There are 4 forwards who deserve to start before he does, and I say this as someone who does not rate 2 of them. For me he ranks ahead of Burke only.

Since the transfer window we have improved: W3 D1 L2 and unlucky to lose one of those. No manager in his right mind is going to put in a player who has not scored in 33 league matches and doesn’t look like he knows what to do.

He should be loaned out somewhere, anywhere, in January.

Absolutely spot on.

Loan is needed, as much as that will attract initial flack given his original fee, but the club should be willing to suck that up.

It's also all swayed by context. £23m is a lot for Sheffield United. We never spend such sums and for that would expect the main man, finished article, regular goal scorer.

However, at the time we were a second season PL club, trying to establish ourselves. £23m, begrudgingly, buys you potential at that level - it doesn't guarantee you the finished article necessarily. We spent high to get a deal for a bright young thing over the line, then he was held to standards and expectations of a player in their prime.

He needs game time, and more realistic expectations.
Can we loan him to Swansea where he was comfortable or to Forest to link up with Steve Cooper again...anything to get the kid firing

Its a bit of a chicken and egg scenario where he'll only score goals if he starts up front, but he's got to do something to justify getting his start in the first place and he hasn't done.

He needs to try and channel some sort of inner Wayne Rooney with some energy, aggression and a splash of arrogance.

Brewster does not deserve 3 or 4 starts. There are 4 forwards who deserve to start before he does, and I say this as someone who does not rate 2 of them. For me he ranks ahead of Burke only.

Since the transfer window we have improved: W3 D1 L2 and unlucky to lose one of those. No manager in his right mind is going to put in a player who has not scored in 33 league matches and doesn’t look like he knows what to do.

We're on agreement. He needs the starts but won't get them.

He needs to somehow grab a few off the bench to force his way in.

In order to start he probably needs to show some kind of footballing ability either in training or an actual grown up men's league match. It's one of those where I'm sure in years to come we'll hear from him on a podcast or in an interview telling the world how he hated his time at BDTBL and wasn't treated very nicely. Sorry Rhian but you've been brought in to play football and have proved incapable of doing so, no dice lad.

Would love him to come on and be a game changer but unfortunately not shown anything yet looks slow and lacks physical prowess like everyone saying needs games and goals but is a luxury we cannot afford at the moment

Starting him isn't my problem, playing him 90 mins when clearly running on empty is.
I don’t see that it’s cost us, unless you include the free kick he gave away re Preston. The other games since the first international break he played 90 were Peterborough, Boro and Derby. He got 3 assists in the former game and scored in the last minute in the latter.

Boro is the only one where the decision to keep him in was odd.

He did not complete the Bournemouth game, and also went off v Hull.

I don’t see that it’s cost us, unless you include the free kick he gave away re Preston. The other games since the first international break he played 90 were Peterborough, Boro and Derby. He got 3 assists in the former game and scored in the last minute in the latter.

Boro is the only one where the decision to keep him in was odd.

He did not complete the Bournemouth gane, and also went off v Hull.
Its more the derby one im referring to. Doesnt perform to the same level for me playing sats and Tuesdays. As youd expect as a lone striker at 36.

I'd say Burke is better, at least Burke has pace which can worry defenders.... Brewster doesn't seem to have anything

I'd say Burke is better, at least Burke has pace which can worry defenders.... Brewster doesn't seem to have anything
Pace can worry defenders, you're right, but in the case of Oli Burke the defenders will know that he will almost certainly shin the ball out of play when he catches up with it. Reduces the worry somewhat.

Not even getting much sniffs off the bench anymore. We're leaving Sharp on for 90 mins in 3/4 consecutive games which is a travesty.
By rights Billy Sharp should have been put out to pasture long ago but testament to him for still having the ability to contribute.

It absolutely is a travesty when you consider the money we've spent on all these "strikers" when McBurnie, Mousset, Brewster and Burke have scored 17 goals between them when you'd have hoped, certainly from McBurnie and Mousset, that they'd have more like 17 goals each across the 2 and a bit seasons we've had them for.

We shouldn’t loan him to any team in the Championship just in case he does come good .

Rangers or Celtic might be a good fit . I’d still fancy my chances of knocking a few in in that league . :)

Imagine him teaming up with Lunny - an unstartable force!

And yet this youth has gotten more money out of his one move than most of us will ever see in a life time, and with a few more happy pay days to come.....

We have got him under contract until 2025 at this stage we could try him in the U23s is one option. The other is a loan move in January. Realistically when you watch him he is no better than Tyler Smith and that deal to Hull was a complex one but basically a free with add ons later

And yet this youth has gotten more money out of his one move than most of us will ever see in a life time, and with a few more happy pay days to come.....
That’s not something to criticise him for. He is perhaps doing his best, but without any confidence and maybe weighed down by the expectations of fans when he cost so much. He didn’t negotiate his transfer fee, but he is stuck with it.

“Desperately lacking in confidence and not making the runs a striker should do in and around the box. Almost hard to watch at times. And things got worse when he was sent off for a second yellow before the hour mark,” the Evening Standard wrote. They also gave the Blades youngster a 3/10.

That summary is basically every game he's played in a blades shirt, not making the runs is absolutely spot on, he never does

That’s not something to criticise him for. He is perhaps doing his best, but without any confidence and maybe weighed down by the expectations of fans when he cost so much. He didn’t negotiate his transfer fee, but he is stuck with it.

Respectfully the transfer fee isn't the issue.

The fact is that he doesn't look like a professional footballer is the issue.

I'll be bold and predict that he'll retire before he's 30 like Marvin Sordell.

Respectfully the transfer fee isn't the issue.

The fact is that he doesn't look like a professional footballer is the issue.

I'll be bold and predict that he'll retire before he's 30 like Marvin Sordell.
The transfer fee seems to be the issue on this forum and may be one of the reasons that he looks so inept. However his time and goals at Swansea suggest that he is not as inherently inept as it appears.
How to rectify the situation is way beyond me !

I don't get the sympathy/empathy angle. If he got 5% of his cost as a signing on fee, that's a £1.15 million lump sum. The average salary in the UK is £29,600 per year, and it would take about 39 years work to reach simply his signing on fee. I don't know what his weekly wage is (others may be better informed than me), but even if it's a "modest" (by football standards) £15,000 a week, that's £780,000 or so in the 12 months or so he's been with United. That's not far shy of £2 million in the time he's been here, by my very conservative estimates. It would take someone on a pretty decent salary of £44,500 a year, 45 YEARS to earn what this bloke has had thrown at him in a year. That's essentially a working lifetime.
The machinations of football finance aren't Brewster's fault, but his inability to perform at an acceptable level is. Being not very good but working your socks off and trying very hard to do your best is something we can all sympathise with. Being not very good and seemingly tossing it off whilst looking like you're really not bothered, and being paid ridiculous amounts of money to do it, isn't worthy of sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom