BladesPod - latest episodes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good pod, save for one thing.

I think you’re wrong. It’s not pointless.

If it were pointless, 25,000 plus people wouldn’t be going to the Lane every home game. Thousands wouldn’t be going away. Hundreds wouldn’t be posting on here. And you wouldn’t be podding.

Despite this disaster of a season, we go, we watch and we take an interest for all sorts of reasons. We go in the hope we will win, play well, be entertained, see good displays. We go to see our family and our mates, to drink with them, laugh with them, commiserate with them. We go because we always go. We go to vent, to let our anger. We go to forget other things in our lives. We go to make new memories. We get something back.

My father is old, ill and in pain. He’s been going since 1949. He hasn’t been since Boxing Day 2022 because he can’t. We always speak Sunday morning. It’s become a very difficult call at times.

But not after we won at Luton. He was happy, for the first time in ages.

Never say it’s pointless.

Sorry to hear about your father Rev and glad he's had something to cheer lately.

I suppose we're talking about things purely on the pitch rather than anything else. We've both been to every game this season so obviously we don't the find the actual match going experience pointless or feel there is nothing to talk about otherwise we'd have given up months ago! It's purely about the fact there are so many games in this league where we have no chance in and we have nothing much to play for other than pride. That's what I personally meant by pointless.

Sorry to hear about your father Rev and glad he's had something to cheer lately.

I suppose we're talking about things purely on the pitch rather than anything else. We've both been to every game this season so obviously we don't the find the actual match going experience pointless or feel there is nothing to talk about otherwise we'd have given up months ago! It's purely about the fact there are so many games in this league where we have no chance in and we have nothing much to play for other than pride. That's what I personally meant by pointless.

I don't even think that's pointless, but I do take your, er, point!

I've just listened to the latest pod this morning and I think it's actually more entertaining and enjoyable than going to the games this season. I get Revolution 's point about it being more meaningful than just results, but some, like me, probably don't have that kind of investment in the club, all my family are Wendies! Still, at least they're not too chipper either.

I seem to spend most of the time at games either being angry (usually at VAR) or apathetic.
Roll on next season.

Thank you, can't have been the easiest pod you've ever recorded but I still enjoyed it and nodded along.

To be honest, I'm largely checked out now apart from Bladespod. Will switch back on in August. Can't wait to be back in the championship, and I do wonder what I'll be feeling if we're in the top six in a year's time. Looking at it from here, I'd say lose the play-off semi-finals would be the perfect result. I don't really want to go through this disaster again.

While I was walking along listening to you, I realised that the itch I cannot quite scratch is, we have probably had £400m and possibly more through the tills in five years, and we have absolutely nothing to show for it whatsoever beyond a few coats of paint on select parts of the stadium and a better pitch at Shirecliffe. I simply cannot understand where the money has gone. If you are to believe it's all been spent on the playing squad, then we must have paid the likes of Oliver Norwood £15m+ over the last five years. That is, frankly, absurd.

Well for what it's worth, here's a brief-ish pod talking about last night with Roygbiv:

I don't expect too many listens to this, unless you're an undercover Arsenal fan.

Beans I know you said you would be furious if Egan and/or Baldock left on a free at the end of the season, but what if they just want a fresh start somewhere else.... what can the club really do?

Beans I know you said you would be furious if Egan and/or Baldock left on a free at the end of the season, but what if they just want a fresh start somewhere else.... what can the club really do?
Try and convince them otherwise, I’d say it’s fairly likely that both have an affinity to the club and are settled locally. Unless something pretty drastic is going wrong for them then why would they leave? They can earn a decent wage and not have to move their lives elsewhere.

Both could be convinced that we’re a decent option for their twilight years as we’ll still be paying half decent money relative to other Championship clubs and we might manage to come up with some form of a medium term plan that would see us a top half side for the next 2 or 3 years (this is probably the hard bit though as we’re rudderless at the moment).

Should be an easy choice really.

Try and convince them otherwise, I’d say it’s fairly likely that both have an affinity to the club and are settled locally. Unless something pretty drastic is going wrong for them then why would they leave? They can earn a decent wage and not have to move their lives elsewhere.

Both could be convinced that we’re a decent option for their twilight years as we’ll still be paying half decent money relative to other Championship clubs and we might manage to come up with some form of a medium term plan that would see us a top half side for the next 2 or 3 years (this is probably the hard bit though as we’re rudderless at the moment).

Should be an easy choice really.

I could get that if all was sunshine and lollipops behind the scenes, but lets not pretend thats the case.

The club is rudderless both on and off the pitch and the next contract both of them sign will be their last decent one.

Not ITK but the whispers are that the club has already accepted that both Egan and Baldock won't be here and don't want to be here next season.

Well for what it's worth, here's a brief-ish pod talking about last night with Roygbiv:

I don't expect too many listens to this, unless you're an undercover Arsenal fan.

Another good listen.

Credit to both of you if you make it to the end of the season.

It says it all when not getting hit by 5 will constitute a result!

Afternoon all, new episode here from me and Roygbiv talking about an entertaining draw at Bournemouth, Ivo Grbic actually getting the chance to make a few saves, Oli Arblaster's debut, and some other bits from that one. Then we discuss the new training centre news, Paul Mitchell's departure, and the United hierarchy seemingly waking up and taking an interest in off-field matters.

Cheers for listening!

That’s my evening dog walk sorted!

Been dying to share this Arblaster fact. His name derives from the word “arblast”, which was a type of crossbow used in the 12th century. Therefore an arblastier or arblaster used or made the weapon. So we now have two players with names deriving from users of arrow-propelling weaponry (something no other Premier League team can boast, but as usual the pundits don’t mention it, too busy concentrating on all the goals we concede!).

That’s my evening dog walk sorted!

Been dying to share this Arblaster fact. His name derives from the word “arblast”, which was a type of crossbow used in the 12th century. Therefore an arblastier or arblaster used or made the weapon. So we now have two players with names deriving from users of arrow-propelling weaponry (something no other Premier League team can boast, but as usual the pundits don’t mention it, too busy concentrating on all the goals we concede!).

If it turns out that a 'grbic' was someone who threw axes in medieval Croatia, we're sorted.

Afternoon all, new episode here from me and Roygbiv talking about an entertaining draw at Bournemouth, Ivo Grbic actually getting the chance to make a few saves, Oli Arblaster's debut, and some other bits from that one. Then we discuss the new training centre news, Paul Mitchell's departure, and the United hierarchy seemingly waking up and taking an interest in off-field matters.

Cheers for listening!

Subtle Cookson reference…

Hello S2, Roygbiv and I just recorded a new episode looking at 10 things we want to see from United for the rest of this season (10 realistic things, settle down). Can we ruin someone else's season? Is one more home win too much to ask? Can anyone "do a Ramsdale"? And a few more - seven of them to be precise.

Cheers as always for listening.

Hello S2, Roygbiv and I just recorded a new episode looking at 10 things we want to see from United for the rest of this season (10 realistic things, settle down). Can we ruin someone else's season? Is one more home win too much to ask? Can anyone "do a Ramsdale"? And a few more - seven of them to be precise.

Cheers as always for listening.

The chap behind the Adkins lap of honour “This is what we think of you” is our very own raul isn’t it?

Afternoon all, new pod is out - should say we decided not to do one last week given that it was an international break, we'd already done the "10 things we want to see before the end of the season" one and finding new ways to talk about how terrible we are seemed a bit unnecessary.

Anyway! Here's Roygbiv and me covering the entertaining if maddening 3-3 draw with Fulham in which we also discuss the possible future for McBurnie and Brereton Diaz. And of course, pesky VAR and peskier added on time.

Finally, apologies for some lower quality audio than normal in this one - had some internet issues. Cheers for listening, hope it's not too annoying.

Afternoon all, new pod is out - should say we decided not to do one last week given that it was an international break, we'd already done the "10 things we want to see before the end of the season" one and finding new ways to talk about how terrible we are seemed a bit unnecessary.

Anyway! Here's Roygbiv and me covering the entertaining if maddening 3-3 draw with Fulham in which we also discuss the possible future for McBurnie and Brereton Diaz. And of course, pesky VAR and peskier added on time.

Finally, apologies for some lower quality audio than normal in this one - had some internet issues. Cheers for listening, hope it's not too annoying.

Just the tonic I need for the journey home from work.

I’m proper GLTTL to Brereton Diaz until he goes to Forest next season. It’s nailed on innit

Sorry to correct but Beans said it was the 2nd time (after Luton) we'd scored 3 in a Premier League game since 1994. The Luton game was the first time we'd scored 3 in a Premier League away game. We've scored 3 at home on numerous occasions since then, including West Ham 3-0 in 2007, Burnley 3-0 in 2019, Man Utd 3-3 in 2019, Spurs 3-1 in 2020 and Chelsea 3-0 in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom