Blades "thrown to the wolves"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Twitter is a strange one and it can become a bit of an echo-chamber if you only follow people with the same views, so I do like to mix it up a bit on there. But your likes of your Wit’s and Gage’s et al are just idiots for the most part. Their opinion is as welcome as an unexpected turd.
I agree. I dont just follow people if I agree. I probably misworded or confused that. However there are certain views that in the way they are expressed or rammed down your throat, I just think I dont want to see that cluttering up my timeline when I can be looking at 90s goalkeepers dressed/compared to birds like I was this morning!

I have seen the Sky Sports news interviews too.

It seems the relationship has broken down.

I agree. I dont just follow people if I agree. I probably misworded or confused that. However there are certain views that in the way they are expressed or rammed down your throat, I just think I dont want to see that cluttering up my timeline when I can be looking at 90s goalkeepers dressed/compared to birds like I was this morning!
Great thread that, the David Seaman one is bang on 🤣
And read in another thread that he has pulled out of buying the ground.
I’d be rather surprised at that given it was a condition laid out by the court ruling 🙄

I have seen the Sky Sports news interviews too.

It seems the relationship has broken down.
Why because the manager and owner disagree...every manager would want more money to spend at every club if they could?

If youd listen to VFJS and others Wilder hates Abdullah and always has and was aligned to McCabe and has been quitting for last 2-3 years. Guess what CW is still here. If he says it enough he may get it right one day.

It was revealed in the court case that our owner has no personal wealth and had call in family favours to pay his share of running costs. And read in another thread that he has pulled out of buying the ground.
Maybe he is actively seeking relegation for the parachute money which he could then use to buy the ground. Hence refusing to bring in any players at all

This makes zero sense as we'd get more for staying up than going down. The parachute payments are nothing like the money you get for a single Premier League season.

This is the owner, who has categorically backed the manager, if we go down, whatever. When the general norm in football, would have been to sack him. And the manager who is sitting in press conferences with a smile on his face and talking about 5 year plans.

It was revealed in the court case that our owner has no personal wealth and had call in family favours to pay his share of running costs. And read in another thread that he has pulled out of buying the ground.
Maybe he is actively seeking relegation for the parachute money which he could then use to buy the ground. Hence refusing to bring in any players at all
I thought they closed the conspiracy theory thread 😆

Just seems to be a desperate post. The club has turned a corner and are on a good run of form. Players seem happy again. the manager also. So lets release a blog about how the owner has "turned his back" on the manager when that isn't the case as he's backed him consistently.

As others have said no way McCabe would have sanctioned half of the signings since being in the Premier League in fact we know thats the case because the Prince put the money forward for the McBurnie deal (regardless of what you think of that transfer).

Desperat attention seeking clickbait post. Probably think they are being edgy or summat!

Last edited:
Whilst I agree there's blame on both sides, Wilder was unable to bring in Matty Cash, A Robinson, J Swift, N Maupay, C Watkins, E Eze etc. due to financial constraints.
They've (mostly) all gone on to become better players than the second choice options we had to go with. That has to frustrate Wilder.

Some of the names you have mentioned didn't want to come to us - I'll say again in Maupays case Sheffield or Brighton (to live) - Brighton every time regardless of the money side of things

Manager and owner in disagreement over transfer/loan funds shocker!

If Wilder had been allowed to spend notably this window but had spending curtailed next season in the Championship, would he be happy?

We've pushed boundaries to be where we are but if there is one criticism that is justified, it's that the money spent since last January has nowhere near been realised on the pitch.

I'm not saying that's all on Wilder but surely even he realises we aren't a remotely wealthy club.

I get as frustrated as anyone with this club's seemingly forever inability to reach it's full potential or match the successes of all other clubs of similar stature, but we can only operate within our means.

I'm very uneasy with this apparent attempt to undermine the most important relationship at the club.

I'd be more gutted to see Wilder leave than any other manager in my 40 years supporting the club but I'll also say I've been more impressed with this owner than any other in that time.

It's very anti Prince Abdullah, wonder what he thinks reading shit like

“It’s almost impossible to get an exception and leave the country, but I managed to pull one just to fly to meet Chris,” Prince Abdullah told talkSPORT as if seeking a pat on the back for travelling from his Riyadh base."

it is a strange article because you wonder if the author. has ever heard of Chris Wilder or understands the finances of football.

because everyone who knows Chris Wilder knows he has said he will never put any club at risk financially. because he has gone into detail how much his spell at Halifax & Northampton really affected him. so he is hardly going to triple the wage stucture for a person thats hardly played in 2 years for a 3 month spell. when that money could be vital next season

theres are few articles on there that are very Anti-Prince Abdullah. probably a member of the McCabe household writing that blog!

Great article there by Kevbo's rottweiler, let's club together to buy him some more kneepads 🤣

From what I have read the prince hasn’t pulled out of buying the ground. He has pulled out of buying the land behind the Kop owned by McCabe as they had agreed a price of around 5 million to which the prince agreed to buy this land. Scarborough have then come back after they agreed a price demanding more money than agreed for the land. The prince then withdrew his offer to buy that land, so McCabe has threatened to develop it to piss the club off. I read somewhere the prince was taking McCabe back to court over this but because of COVID it never went back.
SUFC have also said they will oppose any planning permission by Scarborough to build on the land.....

Shoreham view jumping in now. Have I missed some sort of interview or statement from PA?

Shoreham view jumping in now. Have I missed some sort of interview or statement from PA?

Thing is with that whats the alternative? Pay more wages? Well we cant otherwise we would have done.

Recruitment wasn't a problem last season when we finished 9th!

Which players have we signed since promotion has turned into a Superstar?

I've supported Wilder all the way, even when people were suggesting he was not up to it after he lost the first few in league one.

However, the midfield that got all our wins - same as promotion season. The attack in the last game - same as the promotion season.

It's legitimate to question the impact of signings.

With the money spent on Ramsdale and Brewster there is a fair bit that could have been done differently.

I don't accept the Cash, Robinson and Watkins argument because they ended up on money we simply could not afford but that doesn't mean the money could have been more wisely.

But 18m committed on a keeper was a huge luxury outlay.

You could have gone for Brooks and King from Bournemouth for 40m and got a loan keeper or free transfer or low fee. The midfield and the attack would have been better.

When we talk about optimizing money, why did we not use up the loans? You use those to get players you ordinarily can't afford. Seemed odd that we left 1 or 2 foreign loans and another domestic loan on the table in the summer.

Love Chris to bits, but there is something to learn from this past summer assuming everyone is happy to learn and nobody's ego gets in the way of the greater good.
Why don't all the other players he's signed over the years count? Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, Lundstram, McGoldrick etc.

It's fine to question the impact of our signings since promotion, but the reality is their impact has been hampered by the performances of our existing players. This summer we chose to bring in potential due to the quality our 1st team was playing with. It's a risk most agreed with taking, why sign senior players to seriously challenge the 1st team when they are playing so well?

Brewster, Burke, Bogle and Lowe should be judged as long term signings. It's not their fault our 1st team has been playing like shit, which has put pressure on them.

I also think most agreed with spending big on a younger keeper with potential as well. If we played like we did last season, we could easily cope with a young, dodgy keeper finding his way.

I think the prince has given more money than i expected he would have. And i actually do like him and he seems genuine.

The fact is though, that whilst he can criticise recruitment, which he alluded to in the TS interview, he didnt get Wilders first choice players for the most part. So both are somewhat culpable in that regard.

That article isn't great though. Football will always be the manager wanting more and the chairman saying no - doesn't mean any relationship has broken down.

Also this is the premier league. We havent spent a lot, based on the players we had to start with. Some seem to think you can buy a premier league squad for 100m.

All players we have signed arent their final form, which for the money and longevity of the club is probably the best way to go, like it or not.

Why don't all the other players he's signed over the years count? Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, Lundstram, McGoldrick etc.

It's fine to question the impact of our signings since promotion, but the reality is their impact has been hampered by the performances of our existing players. This summer we chose to bring in potential due to the quality our 1st team was playing with. It's a risk most agreed with taking, why sign senior players to seriously challenge the 1st team when they are playing so well?

Brewster, Burke, Bogle and Lowe should be judged as long term signings. It's not their fault our 1st team has been playing like shit, which has put pressure on them.

I also think most agreed with spending big on a younger keeper with potential as well. If we played like we did last season, we could easily cope with a young, dodgy keeper finding his way.
The point being made is simply that if you spend 120m, it's not unreasonable to expect the team to improve.

I can't be bothered to search for the quote but Wilder said himself last season that if we were adrift in January he'd tell the owner not to spend anything in the window.

The point being made is simply that if you spend 120m, it's not unreasonable to expect the team to improve.
But if the 120m has to be spent signing players that nobody else in the league wants, it's unreasonable to assume they should improve us.

Bringing in one or two loans wouldn't keep us up. As fans we would have liked to see additions but as we are so far from safety I for one can't disagree too much with the fact we are not bringing anyone in. The damage has been done early in the season and now it's about finishing with some momentum and better performances and preparing for next season.

Back
Top Bottom