Blades "thrown to the wolves"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think it's a shockingly negative and poor timed article. Why, when there is na upbeat feeling would you post something so devisive is beyond me.

I dropped a reply. Here was my 2 cents:

I find the timing of this article, when we are all meant to be pulling together unnecessary, ill-timed and far too negative.

I agree on the timing with this one but they were posting this "Chris Wilder will walk and for all the right reasons." stuff back in mid January as well. Strange agenda, seems designed to rock the boat.

http://www.viewfromthejohnstreet.co...n-way-forward-with-owner-hangs-in-the-balance

Some shit stirring pricks about, probably a desperate pig trying to cause trouble.

If I was the Prince I wouldn't give Wilder any more money until he shows he can get the best out of McBurnie, Mousett, Berge, Brewster and Ramsdale

And if I was Wilder I wouldn't dare ask until I'd got a tune out of the above players either

Not even bothered to give it the traffic.

I seem to remember thinking the author of that particular masterpiece was off his nut on mind bending drugs with some of the unfailingly upbeat crap he turned out in the League One days.

Maybe the guy is closer to the truth re Wilder's feelings than some of you think.
Wit blasting these articles over his twitter feed add some credence to that theory.

Wit obviously has his loyalty to one of his long term best mates but I'm not sure him giving stuff like this credibility is helpful.

I've always been 100% behind Wilder but I'm not sure the Prince deserves stick or stoking division.

He's allowed very good money to be spent before this window that McCabe would never have sanctioned and he's thrown his support 100% behind Chris.

I don’t think Wilders got any grounds to complain about the financial backing he’s received during our Premiership tenure.

I do however think PA has got clear grounds to question whether those resources have been wisely spent and represent good value?

I’d have thought anyone in the team Wilder camp would be well advised to steer clear of the subject of transfer funds for those very reasons. He does undoubtedly possess many positive attributes as a manager, but it appears that shopping, perhaps isn’t one of them 😉

As others have said this is pointless now as the window is shut and nothing can be done about it. Keep an eye on the summer when we should be very active again and I’m sure significant funds (by our standards) will be available.
Yogi if we go down you seriously think significant funds will be available ? I would bet significant money that any funds available will have to be generated through sales and that the manager will only get a percentage ( possibly a small percentage) to reinvest

I don’t think Wilders got any grounds to complain about the financial backing he’s received during our Premiership tenure.

I do however think PA has got clear grounds to question whether those resources have been wisely spent and represent good value?

I’d have thought anyone in the team Wilder camp would be well advised to steer clear of the subject of transfer funds for those very reasons. He does undoubtedly possess many positive attributes as a manager, but it appears that shopping, perhaps isn’t one of them 😉
If PA wanted the funding he provided to work out well on the pitch, he'd have forked out more for A. Robinson, Cash and Watkins.

We get the players no other team wants. When Wilder turns them into superstars (as he often does) he is rightly heralded as a genius. When they don't come off, people assume he could've done better with the budget he had. If anyone has any names of who we should have signed, with hindsight, please provide.

Maybe the guy is closer to the truth re Wilder's feelings than some of you think.
I guess our only option is to wait and see if Chris does resign in the summer then. If the article is true of course.

Yogi if we go down you seriously think significant funds will be available ? I would bet significant money that any funds available will have to be generated through sales and that the manager will only get a percentage ( possibly a small percentage) to reinvest
I would expect funds to be available to bring in 3-4 players for decent fees. I’m not expecting fees like we’ve seen the club pay out in the prem of over 10 million but rather 3-4 million pound signings which is still significant for us. I’d trust this recruitment team to find good value at that price point.

Wit is CWs best mate so if he’s pushing the story too it may be the view from CW. Whether we agree with it or not it maybe the view point of CW.

Wit goes into a little detail about not spending the money to bring in the targets they wanted. I think he refers to proper PL standard players not the youngsters we have brought in.

It’s an interesting take and if this is the view of CW. We may not have him for much longer.

It's not nonsense at all look at wilders anger today on not bringing more players in he's annoyed could be a bad move by the Prince

The thing is Ben Davies 1.5m your telling me we couldn't have tried and bedded him for next year .

If PA wanted the funding he provided to work out well on the pitch, he'd have forked out more for A. Robinson, Cash and Watkins.

We get the players no other team wants. When Wilder turns them into superstars (as he often does) he is rightly heralded as a genius. When they don't come off, people assume he could've done better with the budget he had. If anyone has any names of who we should have signed, with hindsight, please provide.
Which players have we signed since promotion has turned into a Superstar?

I've supported Wilder all the way, even when people were suggesting he was not up to it after he lost the first few in league one.

However, the midfield that got all our wins - same as promotion season. The attack in the last game - same as the promotion season.

It's legitimate to question the impact of signings.

With the money spent on Ramsdale and Brewster there is a fair bit that could have been done differently.

I don't accept the Cash, Robinson and Watkins argument because they ended up on money we simply could not afford but that doesn't mean the money could have been more wisely.

But 18m committed on a keeper was a huge luxury outlay.

You could have gone for Brooks and King from Bournemouth for 40m and got a loan keeper or free transfer or low fee. The midfield and the attack would have been better.

When we talk about optimizing money, why did we not use up the loans? You use those to get players you ordinarily can't afford. Seemed odd that we left 1 or 2 foreign loans and another domestic loan on the table in the summer.

Love Chris to bits, but there is something to learn from this past summer assuming everyone is happy to learn and nobody's ego gets in the way of the greater good.

l had to delete Twitter to get away from him and his views

People hang on his words because he is a mate of Wilders. If it was me or you they wouldn't give a shiny shite.

Not sure how many inner thoughts CW shares with him. But I wouldn't be too happy if a mate of mine was sharing them on Twitter. They wouldn't be my mate for long

Saw this on twitter from "View From John Street" blog

The link to the article is here: http://www.viewfromthejohnstreet.co...-a-bull-for-battling-blades-boss-chris-wilder

Interestingly, Wit (Wilder's mate) retweeted the tweet.

Does the blog author write on here? Be interesting to know how those conclusions have been reached

Is that the John St in S2? Or the one adjacent to "The Sun" in Wapping.😨

Unbelievable sensationalistic bobbar.Why?

It's as if some folk out there want us to fail.

I'll appease myself by imagining it's a wind up..

Saw this on twitter from "View From John Street" blog

The link to the article is here: http://www.viewfromthejohnstreet.co...-a-bull-for-battling-blades-boss-chris-wilder

Interestingly, Wit (Wilder's mate) retweeted the tweet.

Does the blog author write on here? Be interesting to know how those conclusions have been reached

Errmmn.

Team with worst ever start to a league campaign tipped for relegation, decide to not spend. Errrrrrrrr....

Ffs..

We'll be split 50/50 on spending in January to take wages and debt higher, accept it we fight with the army we have, nobody comes into the team and walks it straight away... So who comes in and revolutionises the season? Fits straight in?..

Don't flog a dead horse.. Settled team, same players no jonny come lateleys on 50k a, week.. We push on. Regardless..

Whilst I agree there's blame on both sides, Wilder was unable to bring in Matty Cash, A Robinson, J Swift, N Maupay, C Watkins, E Eze etc. due to financial constraints.
They've (mostly) all gone on to become better players than the second choice options we had to go with. That has to frustrate Wilder.

The thing is Ben Davies 1.5m your telling me we couldn't have tried and bedded him for next year .
You’ve lost me. He didn’t want to sign because he could have got bigger wages with Celtic when out of contract if we were relegated. Liverpool came in and the rest is history.
No top championship player would have joined in Jan as they’d look to wait until the summer to see what their options were. There was nothing in their favour to move now to the club rooted (at that time) to the bottom with 2 points.

Not a dig at you fella but I really don’t care if Wilder is pissed off at it. It isn’t his money to fritter away as he pleases and he knows that as well. That’s the job of the Chairman and, to date, I’d argue he’s backed us fairly handsomely. We’ve no one to blame for our shortcomings this season other than ourselves and particularly the recruitment over the summer. Understand we’re caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to signings as we seem to be largely fishing in our own market for players that are too good for the Champ and not quite PL standard yet, hoping we can develop them - so it makes sense why some of these haven’t worked out yet. However, I don’t think we addressed some glaring shortcomings that had been evident for months and that doesn’t reflect well on Wilder or his scouting/recruitment team. Quite how he thought we could get through another season without adequate back up at centre half or central midfield is baffling. We failed to address it and we’ve regressed beyond comprehension.

Still can’t tell me that an escape looks (or looked) likely, especially before the window closed i.e. before the WBA game. The season is done barring a miracle despite the sound bites coming from the club. Keep the money in the pocket and fund a mini-revamp in the summer. There’s 2 or 3 key positions that need strengthening and we should keep in mind that long term plan that we’ve trotted out for as long as CW has been here.

People hang on his words because he is a mate of Wilders. If it was me or you they wouldn't give a shiny shite.

Not sure how many inner thoughts CW shares with him. But I wouldn't be too happy if a mate of mine was sharing them on Twitter. They wouldn't be my mate for long

Yeah it's interesting one. I also stopped following Wit. Nothing to do with his football views/posts. To say I disagreed with some of his political and covid views is an understatement.

Many seem to slaver over every word he says as he is Wilder's best pal.

I have started to unfollow people generally due to some quite repugnant thoughts in my opinion. Having lost people due to this wretched disease...having people on Twitter say 'I still dont know anyone who has had it let alone died from it' or whatever he said was kind of the final straw. Dont get me started on Kevin Gage. Seems a few with Blades connection are a bit flat earthy....so I've culled a lot...Blade or no Blade.

Yeah it's interesting one. I also stopped following Wit. Nothing to do with his football views/posts. To say I disagreed with some of his political and covid views is an understatement.

I have started to unfollow people generally due to some quite repugnant thoughts in my opinion. Having lost people due to this wretched disease...having people on Twitter say 'I still dont know anyone who has had it let alone died from it' or whatever he said was kind of the final straw. Dont get me started on Kevin Gage. Seems a few with Blades connection are a bit flat earthy....so I've culled a lot...Blade or no Blade.
Twitter is a strange one and it can become a bit of an echo-chamber if you only follow people with the same views, so I do like to mix it up a bit on there. But your likes of your Wit’s and Gage’s et al are just idiots for the most part. Their opinion is as welcome as an unexpected turd.

I know what you mean.

It's a shit situation for everyone. It's a shame when people fall out over different views but with the stance some people take, and how they choose to express them, I can understand why.

Do I unswervingly believe the initial narrative? Not all of it, but I think its more to divert from certain clusterfuck decisions rather than a grand conspiracy, even though I can understand the view that some of the adverts and billboards have a somewhat sinister hue about them.

Gadgey is playing the ex pro card so that people will hang on his word, Wit is playing the Wilders mate card, so people believe them. They could say the moon is made of cheese and next thing they'd all be getting the crackers out.

It was revealed in the court case that our owner has no personal wealth and had call in family favours to pay his share of running costs. And read in another thread that he has pulled out of buying the ground.
Maybe he is actively seeking relegation for the parachute money which he could then use to buy the ground. Hence refusing to bring in any players at all

Going back to the article. I do not agree with most of it. It is clearly aimed to provoke a reaction and is quite ill informed and to me way over the top. It has little basis to throw out a prediction of Wilder resigning come the season end.

It is interesting though that despite my post above ckncerning Wilder's friend and his opinions, that Wit has often publically praised or liked this writer. Mick Rooker another close confidante of Wilder has also liked a message on this thread saying this article may be closer to Wilder's feelings than many think.

If course Wilder does not have to agree with his mates but as someone said if my mate was liking articles and congratulating him on what he has written (which Wit has before on VFJS) I'd be having a chat with him as they are effectively agreeing with someone slagging off his boss (the Prince). It could be compared a bit to Mrs Sharp and her Ill timed tweet in this sense. Whilst your mates/wife can gave opinions I'd be inclined to be telling them to keep quiet personally but maybe that is me. Maybe everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how close they are to someone and the perception that could be gleaned?

To be honest Wilder has come out this week and said he disagreed with us not strengthening the squad. So it seems clear that the Prince stopped any signings; as his right as owner but Wilder disagreed. That happens. This seems a fact.

We can all have opinions. I'd have liked maybe one player a midfielder to give us another option but completely understand the Prince's take. He had in relative terms (wages aside) given Wilder a lot of money though and will have seen the lack of impact of Ramsdale and Brewster. Wilder chose to spend 50 million in those and Bogle/Lowe. He could have gone down the cheap/free route for more experienced players and committed the funds to a big signing on fee/more wages for a Foster/Deeney type.

I can completely see why the Prince chose to wait and his reasons are logical and good business sense with where we are. Wilder might be annoyed but not sure his argument has much credence. If he have spent little in the last window fair enough but hes signed 4 players for 50 million who have had, Bogle aside, minimal to little impact and only Ramsdale is a regular and struggling at that.

The perspective that due to Abdullah not backing CW it is a given he will throw his toys put and resign is an interesting one. I recall a few years ago this happening when we thought he was going after Bristol City and he held all the cards really. The board gave him a new deal, sanctioned the Egan, Henderson, Norwood signings etc and the rest is history.

Said it before that if we go down and with a very low points total after so far a mostly disastrous season, Wilder does not hold many aces this time and has a poor hand.

He would not get another Premier League job at this time in my opinion. If he walked due to this supposed lack of backing, I'd be disappointed as i am desperate for him to stay and reshape and rebuild another great Blades team for the next 2-3 seasons BUT I'd be a bit irked by his reasons if these were them, if and when he left.

He would be naive if he thinks that a club who is not established at this level is going to smash its wage bill/infrastructure in year 1-2. I am shocked we have even spent what we have being honest when I look at Burnley etc.

If he came up with another club he surely cannot be so confident they'd back him with unlimited signings whenever he wants and keep giving him cash even if the first ones or second ones did not work. He has spent a lot of money on Freeman, Mousset, McBurnie, Berge, Robinson, Ramsdale, Bogle/Lowe, Brewster...circa 120 mill is it? None have established themselves or improved the team from the one that came up you could argue. A few did ok last season but non are players you can say are nailed down even starters for years to come due to form/fitness/inconsistency etc.

If he had been at Norwich how would he have felt (spent effectively nothing) as an example?

If he wants to be a top, top manager (think he is by the way) for years to come and remain at the top level with a club he will have to at times do a Burnley/Brighton for a few years etc. There are not many teams that will come up like Villa and Fulham and spent a fortune on players/wages. They have owners that are in a different league cash wise to ours and a few others that have come up.

Will be interesting to see if the articles words have some resonance in terms of this resignation being imminent due to the latest 'lack of backing' I am not sure the Prince has the money to back him more, like the article and possibly CW wants. The pandemic also as someone alludes to above is a big factor.

Certainly interesting times ahead but as much as I live CW and want him here for years to come, I do not agree with him on this one in terms of feeling he should have been able to make more signings.

Whether Wilder feels as strongly as this seemingly OTT and hyperbolic article we can only speculate.

Back
Top Bottom