Blades players you thought were going to be brilliant...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Iffy Onuora. Now there was the perfect partner we’d been looking for Carl Asaba I thought. They’d done well at Gillingham together, they and the Huddersfield fans spoke highly of him, low risk free transfer that was going to be great for us.

Not quite...

First name that came to mind. Admittedly I was pretty young but I had this idea that he was going to be the next Michael Owen when he started playing and scoring for us. He DID move to the premier league very quickly so it wasn’t total delusion on my part. Wonder what he’d have been without the injuries. Well, probably not the next Michael Owen.
Yeah, I'm clearly in the same age bracket as you, but he was so quick and directly. Couple that with his fearlessness of youth and it was an exciting combination to watch.
Hopefully he's not continued to copy Michael Owen, doing the most unconvincing promos ever made, and using phrases such as "That’s completely unstoppable, but the keeper’s got to do better for me".

What happened with Barry Halyles - we signed him and then he left without playing?

Rumours were that he fell out with Warnock straight away. Warnock later mentioned once having signed a player and then immediately regretting it and shipping them out, had to be Hayles.

He was playing non-league for Windsor last season at the age of 47. Wiki shows he's moved clubs to somewhere else.

Couldn't fault his effort but personally I thought he was going to be a huge player but he never really got there...
I guess on that score Tony Philliskirk and Clive Mendonca. They both scored for fun in the Northern Intermediate league but neither looked convincing in the first team, although Mendonca went on to have a decent career with Grimsby and Charlton.

Rumours were that he fell out with Warnock straight away. Warnock later mentioned once having signed a player and then immediately regretting it and shipping them out, had to be Hayles.

He was playing non-league for Windsor last season at the age of 47. Wiki shows he's moved clubs to somewhere else.

Could have been Cullip?

What happened with Barry Halyles - we signed him and then he left without playing?
No, he played for us. Wasn’t very good. Made 4 appearances. He looked a shadow of the player he’d been and I don’t think he settled and was happy to leave.

I guess on that score Tony Philliskirk and Clive Mendonca. They both scored for fun in the Northern Intermediate league but neither looked convincing in the first team, although Mendonca went on to have a decent career with Grimsby and Charlton.
Philliskirk was OK in his first season, in Div 3. Couldn’t step up though.

Philliskirk was OK in his first season, in Div 3. Couldn’t step up though.
I always thought he looked a bit lightweight even in Div 3, although fair enough he did score a few. I remember him coming on at Huddersfield on the last day of the season and getting booed and then a scoring an absolute pearler.

Could have been Cullip?

I don't remember the full thing, Warnock had fall outs with a few players, but I think he was talking about a striker he'd chased for a while that he got completely wrong and then sold almost immediately. Hayles came in and was sold after two months.

I always thought he looked a bit lightweight even in Div 3, although fair enough he did score a few. I remember him coming on at Huddersfield on the last day of the season and getting booed and then a scoring an absolute pearler.

Yeah, he was a bit lightweight. I remember he used to win a header but always end up on the deck after he’d won it.

Jose Baxter - was really pleased when we went and paid what at the time was a decent fee for one of the highest goal scoring midfielders in league one.

Dean Hammond

Diego

James Harper

Brian Howard

Alan Young
Chris Guthrie
Phil Thompson
Alex Sabella
Don Hutchison
Jim Brown
James Harper
Connor Sammon
Gary Speed
Samir Carruthers
Ben Woodburn
Willie Hamilton
Terry Curran
Vinnie Jones

Some exciting signings at times of rare investment.

Willie Hamilton was a world-beater but a bigger drinker, never fulfilled his potential.

Not, thought they would be good but... Paul Ifill. Scored a few and assisted in a few during the promotion season. Played ok and was an important team member.
Didn't advance to Premier league level and had some stick from fans, Paul Awful. Unfair I thought. Might have had a few injuries as well.

Not, thought they would be good but... Paul Ifill. Scored a few and assisted in a few during the promotion season. Played ok and was an important team member.
Didn't advance to Premier league level and had some stick from fans, Paul Awful. Unfair I thought. Might have had a few injuries as well.
Those giving Ifil stick were and are morons. He got 9 goals and 9 assists for us in one season from right wing.

Had high hopes for Lyle Taylor too! Although he wasn't great for us I always thought there was a player in there somewhere!

Chris Guthrie. Big, bustling centre forward whose goals would take us to the next level. Oh dear.
Yes and he had a dream debut at Halifax bagging 3 in a 4-1 cup win, for me Speedy McGeedy, Philliskirk & Mendonca and lot's more.

Alan Young
Chris Guthrie
Phil Thompson
Alex Sabella
Don Hutchison
Jim Brown
James Harper
Connor Sammon
Gary Speed
Samir Carruthers
Ben Woodburn
Willie Hamilton
Terry Curran
Vinnie Jones

As a kid, I thought Brown was good for us. I also thought that Hutchinson was quality and didn't do much wrong in his spell with us.

The rest are fair enough though, although be careful with Speedo, as I'm sure you'll get accused of being 'disrespectful'.

I was at York City reserves vs Sheffield United reserves because girls wouldn't talk to me. The game was called off due to fog or rain or brexit (who can remember?)

Bizarrely enough, I can remember (it was heavy rain), because I turned up to that one as well. That said, I thought it was before Craig Short’s time (around 2002), so maybe we had more than one reserve game at Bootham Crescent called off.

I notice you'd put Curran on the list no matter what he did for us, any Blade worth their salt would never forgive the twat for what he did at BD & Easter. I recall at Lane he score 2 against Huddersfield & I've never known a home player booed after scoring.

What about that Andy Butler who ended up at Donny...didn't he come in as a potential club captain, but got shipped back out straight away - what went on there??

Bizarrely enough, I can remember (it was heavy rain), because I turned up to that one as well. That said, I thought it was before Craig Short’s time (around 2002), so maybe we had more than one reserve game at Bootham Crescent called off.

This was right after we had played Blackburn in the Prem so around 2007. I remember because Craig discussed how the Rovers free kick (which Morten Gamst Pederson scored from) was never a foul.

Matty Harriott. Ran the show when we beat Notts County 4-1 in the JPT, now at Hendon looking a little like he's been arrested for drug-driving:
2398.jpg

One for Foxy : Erik Tønne. Didn't he score an overhead kick? Couple of promising cameos then disappeared into the ether.

Back
Top Bottom