Blades players you thought were going to be brilliant...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I still remember my Dad and his mate talking about what a fantastic player Ian Rush was as we were on our way to the Lane...

I still remember my Dad and his mate talking about what a fantastic player Ian Rush was as we were on our way to the Lane...

Made the Geordies laugh in a 50/50 pub prior to the 98 semi.
"He's got a fucking big nose,
He's got a fucking big nose.
He's got a fucking big nose
IAN RUSH....."

That was about his only claim to fame in that stupid loan spell and he almost made Hammond look like an inspired and motivated signing......

.....almost!

Good thread this!

Iffy Onuoura- Had a potent partnership with Asaba for Gillingham, nowhere near good enough for us.
David Johnson- Seemed to score all the time for Forest, Warnock signed him and was never seen again.
Georges Santos- Name sounds like a future Brazilian World Cup superstar. Reality somewhat different.
Geoff Horsfield- Reight signing, definitely going up now! Turned out we didn’t even want him haha.
Danny Cullip- Decent well-established defender for Brighton, still don’t know what happened there

Ian Rush was indeed a fantastic player in his day but alas not for us! Thought Stewart Houston and Les Tibbott would be good as I remember having their stickers in my album for Man Utd and Ipswich before we signed them. They were both past it (like Rush) injury prone and gash!

Mainly midfielders have disappointed me.. always seem good against us and decent careers till we signed them!

James Harper
Brian Howard
Leon Britton
Dean Hammond

What happened with Barry Halyles - we signed him and then he left without playing?

Patrick Suffo - Cameroon international, arrived with a deal of fanfare. Did nothing except headbutt a Baggy.

One who was good for us, and I thought was gonna have a great career elsewhere- Wayne Quinn.

I thought he was great when I was a kid and thought he was gonna do well at Newcastle, be a future England international. Instead, his career plummeted harder than the Hindenberg.

Good thread this!

Iffy Onuoura- Had a potent partnership with Asaba for Gillingham, nowhere near good enough for us.
David Johnson- Seemed to score all the time for Forest, Warnock signed him and was never seen again.
Georges Santos- Name sounds like a future Brazilian World Cup superstar. Reality somewhat different.
Geoff Horsfield- Reight signing, definitely going up now! Turned out we didn’t even want him haha.
Danny Cullip- Decent well-established defender for Brighton, still don’t know what happened there
We signed David Johnson? That one has really escaped my memory bank!
(Just checked and seems we had him on loan , 4 appearances, 0 goals)

Don't get why so many people are saying Ian Rush. In the 80s he was one of the all-time greats, but we only signed him on loan in 1997/98 when he was 36 and had been well past his best for some time.

Lee Morris.

First name that came to mind. Admittedly I was pretty young but I had this idea that he was going to be the next Michael Owen when he started playing and scoring for us. He DID move to the premier league very quickly so it wasn’t total delusion on my part. Wonder what he’d have been without the injuries. Well, probably not the next Michael Owen.

Vinnie Jones. Thought he would be a quick energetic hard tacking ball winner (like Steve McMahon) who be everywhere and would dominate the midfield. Instead he was a slow pedestrian muscle bound statue of limited football ability who just kicked anyone who went near him. I understand he did loads for team morale though!

There's a few that have come through the Academy that were supposed to set the world alight but didn't....

I don't think anyone has said the "Italian International and future Juve star" Diego DiGirolamo yet...…looks as though he's without a club now

Also who was the lad that scored a brace on his debut, late 80's/early 90's then didn't score again?

Terry Kennedy was tipped to be bigger than Harry Maguire but had the knees of an 80 year old....Elliot Whitehouse was another.....George Long was evidently on the verge of a move to Man United at one point as well...

Might surprise a few but I was really excited when we brought higdon in, came off the back of a great season in the Dutch top flight in a relegated team, honestly thought he could rip league one a new one

How wrong I was

Back
Top Bottom