Blackwell accused of bullying

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The league is littered with managers who either had a modicum of success or looked like they might and then have had a succession of mediocre or failure seasons.

It’s because they have a way of working that players become immune to.

Peter Reid used to inspire his players at Sunderland and then they realised they’d heard it all before, and eventually they started taking the mickey out of him. Players talk, reputations spread and then nobody listens to him.

Blackwell got more out of the group that Robson had, instilled some discipline but then ran out of steam. I’ve not seen anything since to show it was anything more than luck and haven’t heard too many players saying they loved playing for him.

He fell out with majority of squad, openly fighting with Kenny, Beattie, Hendrie at times. I have a friend who played under him at Bury and throughout his long career says KB is the only manager he actually fought with, and argued daily with. Said majority of squad did, he was despised by all. He used to openly mock them banging on about how he was a millionaire (through his building company) and that 'looking after them was his pocket money'...needless to say he ultimately got his just desserts

Blackwell v Hendrie. This is difficult but l have to hope Kev kicked the poison dwars orange arse.

He alienated himself with the academy set up at the time and created a dichotomy between the style of play of the first team and that of the academy sides. His opinion was that the academy were a separate entity that should have no influence on the overarching approach of the club/style of play. Ultimately, it resulted in a power struggle that he won and, imo, set the club back five years or so - resulting in a large turn over of staff and players. Credit to Clough, Adkins and Wilder for putting it back together.
As for the bullying accusations. You won't find to many positive character references amongst our old players; nor many who will praise his tactical acumen.

Former semi-professional, non-league reserve team goalie. Fucking useless article who should never have had any place in professional football, But for OBN’s old pals act the despicable anti-football hoofer would be unemployed and unemployable. He will be both soon and not a minute before time.

Just look at Wedgebury's career to date.

He obviously wasn't as good as he thought and probably didn't like being told that, as is the modern way.

He joins a long list of "nearly made it" sportsmen and women accross numerous sports that are now complaining about being bullied.

I know nothing about Blackwells involvement with the youngsters but I do know that no one ever made it to the top in any sport with a coach saying "if it's not too much trouble could you possibly try a little harder please"

If Blackwell is/was a bully that overstepped the mark there will be a lot more allegations flying about, after all he's had a long career and worked with many failed footballers.

he sounds like a thousand P.E. teachers at schools up and down this land.

Agree, it’s the old fashioned method of managing that was quite common.
For example the 2 greatest managers Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson were also known to be massive bullies, when they thought it was needed to improve a player. Blackwell came from the “school of Warnock” who was also, at times, “a bit of a bully”.

However the difference is that Warnock was also “a charmer”.
He’d rip a players head off one week, then be their best pal the next.

Blackwell was capable of the 1st bit but didn’t have the charm or personality to get players back onside.

Last edited:
Not saying whether it's true or not. But bullying in the workplace is not nice. If some jumped up little hitler one step above you on the ladder takes a disliking to you they can ruin your whole career and life, you might as well walk out of the job because you're going nowhere with a cunt like this taking the credit for what you do and constantly providing superiors with bad reports about you in a deliberate attempt to keep you down.

I'm self employed nowadays and have been for 27 years, I'll never work in an employed position again. And if I bumped into one particular ex manager from the company I was employed by all those years ago who's initials are JH I think I'd still kick his face in.

Well I wouldn't because he'd be about 80 now if he's still alive

If Blackwell is/was a bully that overstepped the mark there will be a lot more allegations flying about, after all he's had a long career and worked with many failed footballers...

...most of whom failed because they worked with the former semi-professional, non-league, reserve goalkeeper.

Topplayersleave,
Men working with men, then some form of bullying is historically the easiest way to manage and influence people.
I’m not talking extreme bullying as that probably wouldn’t work.

However subtle bullying (flexing ones muscles of authority) tends to work to a degree with many.
Suppose this discussion depends on ones definition of “bullying”. Some call it banter....others call it bullying.

He alienated himself with the academy set up at the time and created a dichotomy between the style of play of the first team and that of the academy sides. His opinion was that the academy were a separate entity that should have no influence on the overarching approach of the club/style of play. Ultimately, it resulted in a power struggle that he won and, imo, set the club back five years or so - resulting in a large turn over of staff and players. Credit to Clough, Adkins and Wilder for putting it back together.
As for the bullying accusations. You won't find to many positive character references amongst our old players; nor many who will praise his tactical acumen.
This. 100% this.

And folks still reckon he did a great job :)

UTB

He fails as a manager but he's clearly not a bad assistant, under which guise you imagine he must still have some input on the training pitch and work with the younger lads. I'm not sure there's anything he could have done to me to drive me away from SUFC, he could have tarred and feathered me and I'd have worked my balls off to play at BDTBL.

Nobody is claiming he drove anyone away. The article in the OP is saying that he ruined their confidence and in football confidence is everything.

...most of whom failed because they worked with the former semi-professional, non-league, reserve goalkeeper.
Most of who failed because that's what happens to most young footballers.

Put your personal agenda away, take your blinkers off and give us some evidence ro support that ridiculous allegation you just made.

Nobody is claiming he drove anyone away. The article in the OP is saying that he ruined their confidence and in football confidence is everything.
In the 12 years he's had in which to recover his confidence, he's played for Macc Town, Stevenage, Forest Green, Wrexham and Chesterfield. I'm not knocking his ability, he's clearly miles better then me, but the reason he didn't make it in top level football is because he isn't a top level footballer.

Most of who failed because that's what happens to most young footballers.

Put your personal agenda away, take your blinkers off and give us some evidence ro support that ridicilous allegation you just made.

The odious hoofer himself is the only evidence I need. He’s had a ‘career’ in professional football solely because of the patronage of one man, himself a pretty obnoxious individual. When Ol’ Big Nose goes, no club will ever employ SemiPro again.

The odious hoofer himself is the only evidence I need. He’s had a ‘career’ in professional football solely because of the patronage of one man, himself a pretty obnoxious individual. When Ol’ Big Nose goes, no club will ever employ SemiPro again.
So you don't need evidence because you know best?

Am I right in thinking that you're a solicitor?

Lee Sandford once laid Blackwell out with one punch during a pre season tour. I always liked Sandford.

I don’t condone violence in any way but SemiPro is very close to the bottom of my long list of people who should never ever be subjected to an instrument of medieval torture.

9D002D0C-8A8C-44DB-8F10-57289A203937.jpeg

In the 12 years he's had in which to recover his confidence, he's played for Macc Town, Stevenage, Forest Green, Wrexham and Chesterfield. I'm not knocking his ability, he's clearly miles better then me, but the reason he didn't make it in top level football is because he isn't a top level footballer.

He isn't saying he didn't make it because of Blackwell, is he?

I heard Blackwell had reyt go at the two Kyle's during the play-off defeat to Burnley, a very uncalled for rant apparently :rolleyes:

Apart from the goalkeeper bit you're describing Wenger there. Who in turn had more actual footballing experience than Mourinho.

Your analogies are about as funny as your soundbites.

Apart from the goalkeeper bit you're describing Wenger there. Who in turn had more actual footballing experience than Mourinho.

Your analogies are about as funny as your soundbites.

Your responses are about as good as Blackwell’s ‘football’.

How’s the ten years of misery so far?

Back
Top Bottom