Blackwell accused of bullying

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sothall_Blade

Reaction score
http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/kevin-blackwell-bullying-nature-cardiff-city/

Former Sheffield United defender Sam Wedgbury has spoken of his bad experience under current Cardiff City assistant manager Kevin Blackwell.

The 29-year-old spent four years at Sheffield United between 2006 and 2010, and part of that time was spent working under Kevin Blackwell

"Wedgbury revealed: “The last year, that was under Kevin Blackwell.
“He’s not great with the young lads – awful with the young lads.
“I was in the squads and stuff. I was with the first-team every day at that point, in the Championship.

As a young player, I was still only 20,21 and I had been out on loan and they stuck me back in.
I was warming up, before the derby at Bramall Lane against Sheffield Wednesday.
“I thought ‘I’m in here’. I thought ‘I’ll get a chance here’. It was me and another lad, Matty Lowton, who is at Burnley now.
“Then, all of a sudden, I was coming into training every day and staff were just hammering me for no reason.

“I didn’t think anything of it. They were just on me all the time. I didn’t do anything wrong, they were just battering me, making me do doggy runs.
In circle work, they were putting me in the middle all the time – basically bullying.” ETC

Last edited:

Another nail in KBH's coffin?

Whether it's sour grapes, or an accurate portrayal of Blackwell's character, it does seem to reflect other tales of KB's approach to young talent.

If true, I hope that his involvement in professional football is coming to a close.

He started Lowton's Naughton's and Walker's professional career by successfully implementing them into the first team

The worst we finished under him was 8th in the Championship.

I'm not saying these allegations are untrue and don't deserve to investigated... but for now would take it with a pinch of salt and imagine it's probably a grudge that Lowton made it and he didn't.

Unacceptable and ultimately self defeating, if your only method of getting the juniors to improve is by being a bastard to them they will never built confidence or loyalty to the coach or ultimately the club. As EQ says seems to tie in with what was thought at the time. Very disappointed with the club for allowing this culture to exist. Everything I see about the club now tells me this is well and truly a thing of the past

He started Lowton's Naughton's and Walker's professional career by successfully implementing them into the first team

I'm not saying these allegations are untrue and don't deserve to investigated... but for now would take it with a pinch of salt and imagine it's probably a grudge that Lowton made it and he didn't.

Naughton and Walker had to be brought in as McCabe wouldn't let him waste anymore money on loans etc.

Incorrect.

All 3 of the players you mentioned went out on successful loan spells before getting their chance in the team.

Naughton got his chance after an injury to Sun, and Walker after an injury to Naysmith if I recall correctly. So both were enforced. He signed Sun as his first choice right back that season, thankfully for Naughton he got injured which gave him his chance.

An awful manager, who played equally awful football.

Incorrect.

All 3 of the players you mentioned went out on successful loan spells before getting their chance in the team.

Naughton got his chance after an injury to Sun, and Walker after an injury to Naysmith if I recall correctly. So both were enforced. He signed Sun as his first choice right back that season, thankfully for Naughton he got injured which gave him his chance.

An awful manager, who played equally awful football.
sun was sent off and suspended AFAIR
wonder what Cotterill thinks? he used to get dogs abuse

I'm no fan of Blackwell but modern football is a fucking nasty cut-throat world and I can see why a management team would make a point of really hammering young lads for a while to see how they react. If you can't cut that kind of treatment for a few weeks in training, it's not unreasonable for a time-poor management team to cut you loose and dedicate the time to lads who can. On occasion they may lose a lad who goes onto have a great career but it's not a bad way of separating wheat from chaff.
To put it another way, I would have dragged my balls through a broken glass and vinegar solution and guided my dad into my mum to play for the Blades but I'm not good enough. That attitude with Wedgebury's talent however might have got me through the Blackwell treatment and into the 1st team.

It really boils down to one thing.

It’s impossible to get the best out of people if you rule in the way described.

This is why he fails. Consistently.

It’s not a coincidence.

Treat footballers with respect, and you are much more likely to earn that respect back, even when it’s necessary to dish out a bollocking. Players will accept it better.

Hardly rocket science, but clearly beyond the intellectual capacity of the ex goalie !!

UTB.

It really boils down to one thing.

It’s impossible to get the best out of people if you rule in the way described.

This is why he fails. Consistently.

It’s not a coincidence.

Treat footballers with respect, and you are much more likely to earn that respect back, even when it’s necessary to dish out a bollocking. Players will accept it better.

Hardly rocket science, but clearly beyond the intellectual capacity of the ex goalie !!

UTB.
He fails as a manager but he's clearly not a bad assistant, under which guise you imagine he must still have some input on the training pitch and work with the younger lads. I'm not sure there's anything he could have done to me to drive me away from SUFC, he could have tarred and feathered me and I'd have worked my balls off to play at BDTBL.

Shock horror, "Manager shouts at player", what is the world coming too???
They'll be docking pay for being late soon!!

He fails as a manager but he's clearly not a bad assistant, under which guise you imagine he must still have some input on the training pitch and work with the younger lads. I'm not sure there's anything he could have done to me to drive me away from SUFC, he could have tarred and feathered me and I'd have worked my balls off to play at BDTBL.

He didn't do much working with younger lads while he was here.

He fell out with majority of squad, openly fighting with Kenny, Beattie, Hendrie at times. I have a friend who played under him at Bury and throughout his long career says KB is the only manager he actually fought with, and argued daily with. Said majority of squad did, he was despised by all. He used to openly mock them banging on about how he was a millionaire (through his building company) and that 'looking after them was his pocket money'...needless to say he ultimately got his just desserts

Whereas a more rational person, devoid of this terrible Bladey Blade affliction we all seem to have, would do better to plonk one on his dusty !

I know I would :)

UTB

Back
Top Bottom