Billy sharp

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

They’ve recently started selling some new mugs in the club shop with his face on so they had to give him a new deal or be stuck with them!

Good news. The negative being the pissing around the club has to be accused of in this process, which can only have had a negative impact on the squad as a whole.

Bash next please. And a few others.

UTB

Good news. Hopefully Bash gets another year or two now as well.

We really do need to start thinking of finding a long term successor for Sharp though - one bad injury at that age and he'll be done for.

Good news. The negative being the pissing around the club has to be accused of in this process, which can only have had a negative impact on the squad as a whole.

UTB

I think the same, but obviously something was happening which might have slowed the process down.

Good news. Hopefully Bash gets another year or two now as well.

We really do need to start thinking of finding a long term successor for Sharp though - one bad injury at that age and he'll be done for.
Isn't that Brewster?

UTB
The club has exercised an option in Sharp's contract rather than him agreeing a new deal. Presumably the 'pissing around' was negotiations aimed at reducing his terms and Sharp, quite legitimately, was probably resisting that.

Correct decision by the way. I can't really think of a better role model in terms of approach or skillset for our U18 forwards.

Correct decision by the way. I can't really think of a better role model in terms of approach or skillset for our U18 forwards.
Agreed, that being said it's hardly like a prem club would go in for him at his age and if he's going to stay at this level there's little to no reason to move clubs. They missed an opportunity on 1st of April to announce his transfer to S6 though.

By far the best attitude in the squad. MGW is up there too but sadly can't see him being sound much longer.

Great signing and well deserved however he should not be starting next season IMO

I will stand by what I have been saying all season us as united fans have a hugely inflated opinion of how good Sharp is as of right now this season as the majority are uncable of formulating a balanced opinion of any player

10/11 goals from open play in 40 appearances for basically our sole striker who plays every available minute isn't amazing it is fantastic for someone who is 38 though and credit to Bill

I would be very worried if he is our main striker next season no ambitious club should be playing a 38 year old as there main man it offers no long term ambition and no future planning

Slav should have started with Brewster as no9 the first game of this season and stuck with him , and now we have wasted a season of Brewster's Development

**Puts tin hat on *

Great signing and well deserved however he should not be starting next season IMO

I will stand by what I have been saying all season us as united fans have a hugely inflated opinion of how good Sharp is as of right now this season as the majority are uncable of formulating a balanced opinion of any player

10/11 goals from open play in 40 appearances for basically our sole striker who plays every available minute isn't amazing it is fantastic for someone who is 38 though and credit to Bill

I would be very worried if he is our main striker next season no ambitious club should be playing a 38 year old as there main man it offers no long term ambition and no future planning

Slav should have started with Brewster as no9 the first game of this season and stuck with him , and now we have wasted a season of Brewster's Development

**Puts tin hat on *
Sharp is 16th in the Championship for goals per 90. Exclude those with fewer than 10 goals and he's 9th. Additionally, only 12 players in the entire division have scored more from open play, including £100k per week Alexsandar Mitrovic and £24m man Dominic Solanke.

Finally, how have we 'wasted a season of Brewster's development'? We wasted a third of a season under Jokanovic; he played about a sixth of a season under Heckingbottom then got injured for the last half. Had he not been injured he would be first choice.

I'm not sure whether you're a WUM or just a bit odd.

Sharp is 16th in the Championship for goals per 90. Exclude those with fewer than 10 goals and he's 9th. Additionally, only 12 players in the entire division have scored more from open play, including £100k per week Alexsandar Mitrovic and £24m man Dominic Solanke.

Finally, how have we 'wasted a season of Brewster's development'? We wasted a third of a season under Jokanovic; he played about a sixth of a season under Heckingbottom then got injured for the last half. Had he not been injured he would be first choice.

I'm not sure whether you're a WUM or just a bit odd.

I'm not winding anyone up just offering an opinion sharp has done well this season but our fans go off as if he is Ronaldo , 10 goals in 40 from open play is average IMO for someone who plays every available minute up top with MGW behind

Brewster played about 3 games as a striker because Sharp was undroppable for reasons i dont understand

I love sharp as much as the next united fan but there comes a point you need to play the next generation , those players wont be here or get that chance if sharp is played every game as no9 like this season

Good news, given our financial situation. Glad it's just a year though. Bash should be the same. We can afford to pay a bit extra for 1 more year but then the parachute payment falls off a cliff.

Means strikers starting next season will be:

Sharp, McBurnie, Burke, Brewster, Jebbison, Osula and Hackworth. I assume three of those will go out on loan, so probably an extra spot to bring someone in, division dependent obviously.

Sir William of sharp is my favourite player of all time. But if we go up we need to look elsewhere for our main supply of goals. If we don’t he will score loads in the championship next season like always. 3 certainites in life. Death, taxes and Sharp championship goals.

I'm not winding anyone up just offering an opinion sharp has done well this season but our fans go off as if he is Ronaldo , 10 goals in 40 from open play is average IMO for someone who plays every available minute up top with MGW behind

Brewster played about 3 games as a striker because Sharp was undroppable for reasons i dont understand

I love sharp as much as the next united fan but there comes a point you need to play the next generation , those players wont be here or get that chance if sharp is played every game as no9 like this season
I agree with what you’re getting at (although your stats are all wrong), but the fact is that the others haven’t stepped up when given the chance and Billy always does (still). He’s also assisted 7.

Much of next season for Sharp will undoubtedly now hinge on, (a) if we somehow go up and/or (b) whatever the outcome of a takeover is.

Hopefully, at least one of those goes in our favour, meaning we can bring in a proven quality striker and not have to continue to rely on him. If they don’t, I’m confident he’ll continue to deliver.

Obviously it’s all hypothetical but it’s a crying shame he hasn’t been a one club man in with a very good shout of being the clubs all time top scorer. The Sheffield Totti

I don't see the need to differentiate goals "from open play" as opposed to (presumably) penalties in Billy's case. They still need scoring, and enough are missed every week around the world.

Does that mean that free kicks don't "count" either?

Scoring 14 in the championship at 35/36 is a hell of an achievement for a player who is in the twilight of his career, by any metric. And with luck there might be 1 or 2 more if he is fit enough to take part in the last 3 (or 5 or 6).

Do we need to plan for the future? Definitely. But as long as he is fit and raring to go, there is a place for him. Not starting every game certainly, and especially not when we sometimes have to play 2 or 3 in a week, but currently we simply do not have anyone better, and finding someone as good, or better (unless Brewster comes back next season and fulfils the potential we signed him for) will be eyewateringly expensive.

You play the next generation when they are either good enough, or you accept you aren’t going to get promoted.

They aren’t good enough and we want promotion.

He’d have more goals too if we’d rightly been awarded penalties that we’ve had disgracefully turned down this season. An absolute legend and still showing others the way at 36. Carry on Bill ❤️

Yesterday he looked as if he was protecting himself, on one time he started to speed up and then seemed to just coast, this is why hes had a good career he knows his body and when and when not to push it

Chasing that ball to the corner flag is just what we needed to lift us.

We looked noticeably more balanced from the minute he came on. His experience in the playoffs will be invaluable - there I said it ;-)

Back
Top Bottom