Billy Gillespie watching a Blades match

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Not sure what year

e65730d8ad26e9238445d43a1cc153a5.jpg

The length of his association with United is incredible. Played for us between 1912 and 1933 (fighting in WW1 at the same time), managed Derry City for 8 years then returned to Sheffield to work at Hadfields munitions factory during WW2 before resuming work for United after the war as a scout and match reporter until the early 1970's.

A legend in the truest sense of the word, and he deserves much more recognition.

The length of his association with United is incredible. Played for us between 1912 and 1933 (fighting in WW1 at the same time), managed Derry City for 8 years then returned to Sheffield to work at Hadfields munitions factory during WW2 before resuming work for United after the war as a scout and match reporter until the early 1970's.

A legend in the truest sense of the word, and he deserves much more recognition.
He loved to watch Willie Hamilton at SUFC's training ground (must be Ball Inn) in the late 1950s as Hamilton had a lot of skill

Didn't know he worked at Hadfields, my mother worked there in WW2 as a overhead crane driver loading stuff onto trains, still says it was the best job she ever had.

Nice picture capturing Billy. aye i`d say late 50s sometime.... just wondering how that lass snuck into picture, was she delivering bovrils? Did they allow lasses to watch football in them days :)

If he enjoyed watching Willie Hamilton in the late 50s i wonder what he thought of Jimmy Hagan ? Billy was apparently some player and he was captain in the days when they had a lot more importance to the team than what a captain has to do these days. And to think that Madkins made McEveley captain and thus following in Gillespies and Hagans footsteps. Good grief. Ive always liked the picture of Billy G and Fred T (who scored the winner in the cup final in 1925) holding the cup up together in the winners parade back in Sheffield. Just think in 9 more years it will have been a century since Utd won a big one.

Incidentally, is the puddin burner in the top left hand corner giving a hand job to the geezer just in front of her who looks like Hitlers brother ? Hes clearly not bothered about the match. Also is that a young Keith Edwards stood behind BG (the one with the big slaphead) with Jasper Carrot in the silly hat behind him ?

Last edited:
Whenever photos like this are posted I am always surprised that no one sees someone that they know or knew. So many of us have been introduced to the Blades by our dads or grandads and one would expect that someone in that crowd is related to a current Blade.

I can tell you a bit about this. Fact. That's Jimmy Clitheoe front left and it was taken in 1960. They are all ( except the lad with the scarf and Fannyeyes behind him) members of the BBC, Blades Brylcream Crew. You can tell by their signature Stone Island flat caps and gaberdines. The guy in the uniform is from the Mass Constipation Unit and used to pass on confidential stuff, he's just told everyone we are close to signing Hermann Georing.
It was at this match they first started singing 'HIs first name is Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, His second name is Gillespie etc , And he wears a trilby.
I'm ITK, In The Krowd

Didn't realise the "Go compare" bloke in the top right hand corner was a blade. That's him, the one above Paul Beesley
OMG that is Paul Beesley! I can't believe he was a time traveller .
(You'd have thought he might have told Alan Kelly to stand in the left hand corner of his net in the first minute at Wembley in 1993 though).

Nice picture capturing Billy. aye i`d say late 50s sometime.... just wondering how that lass snuck into picture, was she delivering bovrils? Did they allow lasses to watch football in them days :)
Omg did you assume her gender !! It's 2024 u know , oh actually it wasn't then was it , probably safe to say there was only 2 genders then 🙂

Not sure he has been mentioned before but there is an Ahar.A.F. Osipher in there also, see him with his peaked hat, top right quadrant.
Also ref. BG apparently he was buried in a Blades shirt, maybe his FACF one.

Not sure he has been mentioned before but there is an Ahar.A.F. Osipher in there also, see him with his peaked hat, top right quadrant.
Also ref. BG apparently he was buried in a Blades shirt, maybe his FACF one.

Apparently Jimmy Dunne our goalscorer extraordinare was also buried in his hometown in Ireland with a Blades shirt on.

Jimmy was top goalscorer at United for four consecutive seasons between 1929 and 1933, which included scoring over 30 First Division goals in three consecutive seasons between 1930 and 1933. His best season was 1930–31, when he scored 41 league goals plus a further nine in other competitions (his 41 goal haul remains the record tally in the English League by an Irishman).

Back
Top Bottom