Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Absolutely useless today.. last week.. week before etc etc etc. Not scapegoating him, he's just the beigest of beige. Doesn't do anything for 85 mins. The other 5 mins might garner a steady jog. There's a reason nobody put a serious bid in for him January. He's nesh and has the heart of a pea. Embarrassment of our supposed "best midfielder in the league".
Whilst I agree with the overall sentiment - really, today? Our MOTM by a mile (which was pretty fucking easy but…..).

His best bit today was him wandering over to the kop thinking he could milk a applause only for no more than 20 clapping him.

Can't wait for him to fuck off in the summer. Yes he's talented in his day but his 'days' are getting rarer and rarer. He has the heart of a pea. I'd rather watch someone in a sixth of his weekly wage with less talent but 95% more heart have his shirt. I won't miss him when he's gone.

Made a big mistake when we did not sell him to Fulham, would have provided us with £10m plus which could have been used to clear some debts and bring a decent loan player in to push us over the line

The JTW when we didn’t sell Berge and failed to bring anyone in will go down as the major contributing factor to why we are still playing Championship football next season.

Not our worst player today, not even our worst midfielder.
Agreed but he did not have a lot to beat

we rely on a number of players to create and they were useless.

lowe and Bogle are supposed to get beyond their opposite number and get balls into the box or make runs to break the lInes, they did not.

norwood was supposed to retain possession and play decent balls to the aforementioned, he did not.

Fleck was useless in any aspect of his game

Agreed but he did not have a lot to beat

we rely on a number of players to create and they were useless.

lowe and Bogle are supposed to get beyond their opposite number and get balls into the box or make runs to break the lInes, they did not.

norwood was supposed to retain possession and play decent balls to the aforementioned, he did not.

Fleck was useless in any aspect of his game
Agreed it was a very low bar.

I thought Berge's passing was good, but when he - for whatever reason - isn't able to make his runs on the ball, I wonder if we should accept (in the current game) that he's better used playmaking from deep in a duo and let other players do the ball carrying/running. Defensively he showed his strength in some situations (using long distance-pace to catch up with runners), and his weakness in others (tenacity, tackling). I find it puzzling that people keep thinking he's suddenly going to press, tackle or challenge in the air well. It won't happen! It's not his attitude, he's poor at those things! In general Berge had a mediocre game vs Luton, which on the day was better than most.

1678564506174.png

He's been a disaster. It's not worked out for anybody. Sad

Should have been sold in January to fund a couple of contributors but instead we delude ourselves into thinking he's some sort of match winning cheat code super asset so we can boast that we aren't a selling club - that's more important

Best game for months and that's coming from me. Not sure how different his role was compared to the other games though.

I thought he was good tonight without being great, he showed plenty of effort but quality was missing when in some good positions.
Being good is what I expected him to be most matches, at least it's a step in the right direction, so he deserves some praise.

Better tonight that’s for sure. Not brilliant either and switched off for goal along with Robbo BUT he was better and looked more enthusiastic. Take that as we need him to now be the man for the next 9 matches.

When we're out of possession , he's still just jogging around , making sure he's not tracking back fast enough to get a challenge in.
I can't understand him - when he opens his long legs + runs with the ball , he eats up the yards.
But when he needs to get back , he just jogs ...
I accept it was poor defending by Robbo when they scored tonight , but Berge allowed the scorer to just pootle past him - never crossed Berge's mind to run & jostle with him like Doyle & McAtee did all night , helping out their defenders.
It's not that he makes many mistakes , it's what he doesn't do that lets him down - it's harder to spot , but I would have thought a professional manager could see how he avoids responsibility for the defensive side of the game.
I wish he'd take a leaf out of Ndiaye's book , a striker who battles to get the ball back all over the pitch.

When we're out of possession , he's still just jogging around , making sure he's not tracking back fast enough to get a challenge in.
I can't understand him - when he opens his long legs + runs with the ball , he eats up the yards.
I accept it was poor defending by Robbo when they scored tonight , but Berge allowed the scorer to just pootle past him - never crossed Berge's mind to run & jostle with him like Doyle & McAtee did all night , helping out their defenders.
It's not that he makes many mistakes , it's what he doesn't do that lets him down - it's harder to spot , but I would have thought a professional manager could see how he avoids responsibility for the defensive side of the game.
I wish he'd take a leaf out of Ndiaye's book , a striker who battles to get the ball back all over the pitch.
I know what you mean , but it’s harder for a big bloke to run like a small one , McBurnie been another example . But yes , for a 20 mill footballer he seems to be lacking in fitness just a tad .

Totally. If he could put more effort in to chase down, off the ball, he’d straight away be more valuable for us. Not sure if it’s a fitness thing with him - but surely not? Whatever the reason, Hecky and co need to be on his back about it, because not putting the effort in is unacceptable.

I thought he was good tonight without being great, he showed plenty of effort but quality was missing when in some good positions.
Being good is what I expected him to be most matches, at least it's a step in the right direction, so he deserves some praise.
Agree with that. Still lacks confidence in those good positions. But it will come

Made a few mistakes and again that will improve

Agreed, he was one of the best on the ball last night

But... without the ball it's like we're playing with 10 men and that hasn't changed in months and months.

Agreed, he was one of the best on the ball last night

But... without the ball it's like we're playing with 10 men and that hasn't changed in months and months.
He put himself about last night (maybe Bergem has the stats?) Saying it’s like he’s not even there is ridiculous. It’s like it’s just the norm to slate him now… which is also ridiculous

Plays better further forward. This isn't anything new. His lump it forward led to their goal snd he wasn't switched on to the shape of the defence then but other than that he did well yesterday it further shows we should try and use him in their half all the time and anyone thinking he's a deep playing midfielder is absolutely insane

He put himself about last night (maybe Bergem has the stats?) Saying it’s like he’s not even there is ridiculous. It’s like it’s just the norm to slate him now… which is also ridiculous
How long have you been watching us? Surely you know by now that a sizeable portion of our fan base has a pathological need for a scapegoat and, once they latch on to one, the comments flung at them lack any sense of proportion. I put it down to a combination of entitlement and inadequacy.

How long have you been watching us? Surely you know by now that a sizeable portion of our fan base has a pathological need for a scapegoat and, once they latch on to one, the comments flung at them lack any sense of proportion. I put it down to a combination of entitlement and inadequacy.
True. But if the scapegoat player has a few decent games (Robinson, McBurnie) and we win a couple the fans turn their attention to someone else.

Fleck was the scapegoat following the Luton game. Admittedly he didn't play well, but many fans are wrong when they say that players like Fleck and Berge are 'not trying' and 'don't give a shit'.

Both Fleck and Berge were decent last night.

I think the big difference between tonight and recent matches for Berge is that he was on the pitch with younger players who trust him with the ball and know how to move for him.
Norwood dominates the ball and often bypasses him, Fleck barely looks at him. For Norway it's similar and he gets a lot of the ball and sits in a formation that allows him to defend with his strengths.
Berge is not a "blood and thunder" player but having Baldock back certainly helped him as well.

Back
Top Bottom