Berge, WTF?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Unless the release clause is so crazy high that its out of our hands if someone does meet it but out of Berges hand if no-one meets it.

Aha stumped you now! 😂

Nah not really ;) .

Let's look at the hypotheticals shall we.

Berge's release clause is set at £40m meaning we have to accept any bid that meets that figure but Berge doesn't fancy moving to that club so turns the transfer down. In this instance we either a) tell him has to go or will be made to play with the U23's or b) make him the lynchpin of our attempt to go straight back up whilst losing out on a chunky transfer fee.

Berge's release clause is set at £40m but we receive an offer of £30m for him and he wants the move. In this instance we either a) accept the offer, bank £8m profit minus 20% to Genk or b) refuse the offer and end up with an unhappy player.

A lot depends on the appointment.

Say we appointed Jokanovic and he tells the board that he's building the team around Berge for the next 3 years and Berge buys into that too.

He might decide that Fleck in the one he's happy to offload from midfield. It's difficult to speculate too much until we see who is in charge. Maybe jumping from club to club isn't what he wants either. If the right guy comes in, then he may fancy a promotion season followed by starting the following season with momentum, you never know. A lot rides on who take the reigns.

Nah not really ;) .

Berge's release clause is set at £40m meaning we have to accept any bid that meets that figure but Berge doesn't fancy moving to that club so turns the transfer down. In this instance we either a) tell him has to go or will be made to play with the U23's or b) make him the lynchpin of our attempt to go straight back up whilst losing out on a chunky transfer fee.

Berge's release clause is set at £40m but we receive an offer of £30m for him and he wants the move. In this instance we either a) accept the offer, bank £8m profit minus 20% to Genk or b) refuse the offer and end up with an unhappy player.
Spoil sport! 😜

Nah not really ;) .

His value in the accounts will be around £15m so the profit will be a lot higher than £8m.

If it isnt up to the club and not up to the player who is it up to?

Probably Berges agent

Any club meet the release clause it’s out of our clubs hands and into the hands of Berges agent

Berges agent Wivestad will be trying to help Berge make the most of his career, but I don't think he will force him into a decision.

Probably so BB, but making the most of Berge's career also probably means it doesn't lie in the Championship
True, and he wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't trying to give him a decision to make now that we'll be in the second tier. Maybe Heckingbottom meant that Berge was happy to stay here, but realistically a season in the second tier isn't optimal for his career. We will need some rebuilding and Berge may be one that can help finance that.

I think it's a certainty that he's leaving BB

The club have player signing instalments to pay. A mortgage to pay and whilst the wage falls pro rata, I suspect it will still be fairly substantial relative to incoming revenues

I also think Egan may leave

Beerschot are 1 place and 1 point behind the "Europa League playoffs" if they can sneak in and potentially win that. Would Berge potentially go on loan to Belgium to play in Europe albeit in the Europa League with Beerschot before returning the season after and if we have gained promotion back to a Premiership team? Although I know there has been the £40 million recoup of money mentioned, I imagine the highest likelihood is him being shipped out for a nominal fee to help plug the gaps.

People are getting very excited about some of the clubs rumoured to be sniffing round, but I'm not sure it means much. I've said before that I don't think he's done enough to warrant a big money move to a PL club - whether that's his fault or not - and unless the release clause is low enough for a club to take a punt he may not be going anywhere. I think it's probably normal for all the big clubs to look at the relegated teams and see if there's a bargain to be had. So they enquire and if the release clause for Berge is too high (and the club have hinted it is high) then the enquiry ends there.
Regarding the cryptic "out of his hands" remark, there have been players sold without their knowledge or say-so in the past, which comes out much later, so it could easily happen that a deal is done without him being involved. It's also possible that the club want his wages off the books and need to cash in, so are willing to push him out the door regardless of whether he'd prefer to stay. Of course he could point blank refuse - I believe that has happened a few times with players as well - but if it is a PL club, why would he?

I can see only 3 options

He wants to go, we want him to stay = someone meets the release clause and hes gone, or he agitates for a move and puts in a transfer request (dont seem that type, Mousse yes, Berge maybe/hopefully not)

We want him to go, he wants to stay = We tout him around and tell him he will rot in the reserves (doesnt seem likely given PA's seeming willingness to support the team)

He wants to stay, we want him to stay = no problem then!

I cannot see us putting a release clause in below what we paid, that would be bonkers, given the expectation of his career I would have thought £30m - personally I dont think he has shown enough to warrant this, given thats the same amount Leicester payed for Perez from Newcastle is a proven EPL player and scores.

At the end of the day its upto the player, someone mentions advisors, but thats all they are, there to give advice - he seems a smart kid, hopefully he will be told about the plan by the new manager to build a team around him, he will stay and we will have the best midfielder in the EFL come August

I can see only 3 options

He wants to go, we want him to stay = someone meets the release clause and hes gone, or he agitates for a move and puts in a transfer request (dont seem that type, Mousse yes, Berge maybe/hopefully not)

We want him to go, he wants to stay = We tout him around and tell him he will rot in the reserves (doesnt seem likely given PA's seeming willingness to support the team)

He wants to stay, we want him to stay = no problem then!

I cannot see us putting a release clause in below what we paid, that would be bonkers, given the expectation of his career I would have thought £30m - personally I dont think he has shown enough to warrant this, given thats the same amount Leicester payed for Perez from Newcastle is a proven EPL player and scores.

At the end of the day its upto the player, someone mentions advisors, but thats all they are, there to give advice - he seems a smart kid, hopefully he will be told about the plan by the new manager to build a team around him, he will stay and we will have the best midfielder in the EFL come August

What about the 4th option, where the club want to sell him and he wants to leave? That's probably the most likely of the lot!

or option 5 he becomes Captain Blade, or is that Lunny's new contract job ?

Quote in todays press by PH

“It might not be up to us, what happens, and it might not even be up to him."

Well if its not upto him, and its not upto us, who the fuck is it upto?!

He is either referring to 'us' as the management team, implying that Berge may be sold by the board against their wishes

Or my initial instinct was an overruling agent that has some sort of mind control over Sande and will dictate where he plays

I think we are all sensible enough to know money has to be raised. Every relegated side does it, and we are going down this year without the money from last 12 months tickets sales, ground sponsorship and other commercial revenue - this season more than ever the gap in the books will be bigger than ever

However, I hope we can fill the gap with sales outside of Ramsdale, JoC, Egan, Berge & Brewster*

IMO if we can keep that spine on the field, with some astute acquisitions** we have a good chance of doing what Norwich, Watford and quite possibly Bournemouth have just done, and come straight back up.

If its a rogue agent who tells 'his boy' where to play, then I hope the Prince invites him over to his homeland, and 'explains' how these sorts of people can be dealt with over there.

* not sure if theres more that 10 bobs worth
** can someone kidnap CW for this period to ensure no interference

I just take statements like this to mean "Everyone has a price".

If someone offers us £100m for Berge and him wages of £300k a week, there isn't really a decision there, is there? Not that we'll get an offer that extreme, but some of the clubs rumoured to be interested in him could make the kind of offer than neither us or Berge can really say no to.

All the statements regarding Berge have been the usual hedges of "We don't want to sell him but...". And it's not like there's anything else the club can say. We all know that he'll go if the money's right, like any player at any club. And the board can't know what we might get for him until there's real interest shown.

I may have said Berge is over rated but doesn't mean I think he's shit, I'd happily take the fee what we paid for him.

Some saying he's worth 30m - 40m?
So how much is Periera worth at WBA?
Top scorer, assists and same age. Very interested.

He is not fit yet. My thoughts are that with cash being tight in all the league's, he will have to prove his fitness before anyone shells out mega bucks. If we are not in top six come January, he will go. Just hope he stays.

I may have said Berge is over rated but doesn't mean I think he's shit, I'd happily take the fee what we paid for him.

Some saying he's worth 30m - 40m?
So how much is Periera worth at WBA?
Top scorer, assists and same age. Very interested.
know what you mean, but you can argue that both ways, depending on who you line up against

this is Amad Diallo - (no, me neither)
Signed for Man U for £37m in Jan
1619440999361.png

This is Sander Berge

1619441080403.png

Over 140 senior appearances, 24 for country, including representing them at every level

If Amad is worth £37m, whats Berge worth?

Players like that Amad bloke is why Man U are financially in big trouble. One of the reasons why the owners wanted the ESL to get them out of their massive debt.
Its just Covid starting to affect the bigger clubs they had massive revenue but also massive outgoings and the Revenue has dwindled over this last year. Bit like spending beyond your means.

know what you mean, but you can argue that both ways, depending on who you line up against

View attachment 111433

This is Sander Berge

View attachment 111434

Over 140 senior appearances, 24 for country, including representing them at every level

I'd queried the numbers being touted for Berge, but when put in the light of deals like that it's probably just what what these lads can be sold for these days. It wunt like that in my day, fookin ell. Fred Tunstall used to catch bus wi me, from unters bar for 2 an 6 pence.......

Can not believe reports saying his release clause if relegated is 12 mill .never surely not.:eek:

Can not believe reports saying his release clause if relegated is 12 mill .never surely not.:eek:
It's dropped by £10m from £45m to £35m apparently. Someone in the Italian press got mixed up and thought it had dropped to £10m or about €12m. That then got rumoured back as a £12m release clause. People will believe anything.

Its not 12m

Its 35m for domestic clubs
Its 25m for foreign clubs

A lot depends on the appointment.

Say we appointed Jokanovic and he tells the board that he's building the team around Berge for the next 3 years and Berge buys into that too.

He might decide that Fleck in the one he's happy to offload from midfield. It's difficult to speculate too much until we see who is in charge. Maybe jumping from club to club isn't what he wants either. If the right guy comes in, then he may fancy a promotion season followed by starting the following season with momentum, you never know. A lot rides on who take the reigns.
And how much needs to be raised in player sale.

View attachment 111433

This is Sander Berge

View attachment 111434

Comparing an 18 year old with a 23 year old yeh that works
Giving the kid a value alongside it of 35 million as well when it really is 13 million

Its not 12m

Its 35m for domestic clubs
Its 25m for foreign clubs

That obviously points at a fully fit, had a full season Sander Berge, not one who has been crocked ince December and had two half games, neither of which he's featured much?

The 'buyers' have to want to buy him and pay the sell on clause (however much) for us to get owt back on him.

This situation is like having an expensive car sat on your drive which you believe is worth x thousand but nobody wants to buy it because of it's service history and reliability. Sure, 'on paper it's worth that'.

How much is it worth to the buyer?

pommpey

Comparing an 18 year old with a 23 year old yeh that works
Giving the kid a value alongside it of 35 million as well when it really is 13 million

Not sure what your point is here mate??!!

The release clause in Berges contract is £35m
Diallo signed for £37m
So neither of those are really debatable

All I’m saying is surely a player that’s matured and proven is worth more than a youngster still to prove himself?? (Franny Jeffers anyone)

For what it’s worth I’m not sure either are worth their price tag, but someone is worth what someone else is willing to pay

If no club thinks Berge is worth almost double what we paid for him after a mixed time, then he stays

Back
Top Bottom