Outgoing? Baldock

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nothing new in the article but as they say, where there's smoke, there's often fire.

Expect he would be interested in finishing his career with champions league football under his belt vs another championship season.

I think it’s time for him to leave. His performances have really dropped. He also is becoming a little more injury prone. Reminds me of the start of the Enda Stevens downfall.

Great player and should go down in our history books as one of our better right backs.

Bogle currently is the future I feel I would be more concentrating on his contract.

I think it’s time for him to leave. His performances have really dropped. He also is becoming a little more injury prone. Reminds me of the start of the Enda Stevens downfall.

Great player and should go down in our history books as one of our better right backs.

Bogle currently is the future I feel I would be more concentrating on his contract.
Despite their injury records, I'd be trying to get new deals for both Bogle and Baldock - just on sensible. Two of our best players. Also Baldock is an experienced, leads by example, fighter. Be a huge blow to lose either from the squad in my opinion.

Despite their injury records, I'd be trying to get new deals for both Bogle and Baldock - just on sensible. Two of our best players. Also Baldock is an experienced, leads by example, fighter. Be a huge blow to lose either from the squad in my opinion.

Bogle yes, George no, thanks and all that but times up.

Baldock has struggled for a while now with soft tissue injuries. Over the past few seasons, we've had Osborn at RWB because of this & even had Seriki in there with no experience.

The other thing is he's now 30. His best asset is his pace, he will start to lose this now - I appreciate Kyle Walker is still rapid and he's older, but I've noticed George has started slowing down probably due to injuries.. I think it's unfortunately time to either reduce his terms or move him on.

For me I wouldnt renew Baldock, I think he gets an easy ride from the fan base because he plays with passion, Bogle being renewed is a no brainer for me, however i think he would be more effective playing a more advanced role, convert him to an attack liker Bale was converted

Head needs to rule heart on this one. Baldock won't be cheap to renew even in the Champ, he certainly won't get any better as a player, his injuries are a concern, he still can't cross a ball and it wouldn't make sense to a fair chunk of next season's budget to two RWBs.

Baldock has been fantastic and will leave a hero but CW will need to decide whether Seriki will be good enough to be cover for Bogle or another (cheaper) player will need to be brought in.

Head needs to rule heart on this one. Baldock won't be cheap to renew even in the Champ, he certainly won't get any better as a player, his injuries are a concern, he still can't cross a ball and it wouldn't make sense to a fair chunk of next season's budget to two RWBs.

Baldock has been fantastic and will leave a hero but CW will need to decide whether Seriki will be good enough to be cover for Bogle or another (cheaper) player will need to be brought in.
Agree with this. It will be sad to see him go (along with others of this era), but the club need's to be pragmatic and think of the long-term.

We can't afford to be carrying people based on what they did years ago.

Agree with this. It will be sad to see him go (along with others of this era), but the club need's to be pragmatic and think of the long-term.

We can't afford to be carrying people based on what they did years ago.

True, but I'd argue that Baldock could still have a part to play for at least one Championship season. The question is whether what he'd want in wages would be worth it, and whether it ends up doing little other than blocking the routes for Curtis etc into the first team. Could make exactly the same argument about Egan, although with that one there doesn't seem to be quite the number of players ready to step up

We shouldn’t be losing Baldock, needs a new contract, he’s one of the more consistent performers and his loyalty shouldn’t be underestimated.

Bogle has a tendancy to lose form quickly and needs spells on the sidelines when this happens

As with all over 30s, we should be offering Baldock a 1+1 deal weighted in the club's favour: lower basic but higher variables. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we got an announcement in March/April that Baldock is going to take the opportunity to play abroad from next season.

What is it these days, when someone passes 30 they may as well be dead, Baldock is still levels above Bogle for me, I'd be offering him another couple of years, he's still the best full back at the club for me

I agree he is the best fullback (when fit) - he just not the best wingback as he's very limited going forward and still cant' cross a ball.

It may depend on whether CW plans on playing 3/5 or 4 at the back next season

I’m more relaxed about RB renewals than any other position.

We always find good right backs and good RWBs. It’s been a strong position in most of the seasons I’ve been a fan. It’ll be fine.

Left back and LWB remains a train wreck, as it often is. At least they are all out of contract.

We shouldn’t be losing Baldock, needs a new contract, he’s one of the more consistent performers and his loyalty shouldn’t be underestimated.

Bogle has a tendancy to lose form quickly and needs spells on the sidelines when this happens
Baldock is the one defender we have with genuine pace that can compete at EPL level. He was being lauded by his national team manager last season for marking Mbappe out of the game. Its significant of the 5 games where we have conceded 5 or more goals this season he has only started one.

The issue this season is he's been carrying an injury and rumours that he's not happy with how the injury has been managed, if true, may influence whether he signs a new contract or not. His elder brother is a physiotherapist.

A fully fit George firing on all cylinders is a no brainer for a contract renewal but there will be interest from other clubs.

Bogle can play RWB but his defensive discipline is limited which is exposed when he plays as a full back in a four. For me getting GB's injury sorted and getting him signed up for another 2 years should be one of the Clubs priorities.

As with all over 30s, we should be offering Baldock a 1+1 deal weighted in the club's favour: lower basic but higher variables. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we got an announcement in March/April that Baldock is going to take the opportunity to play abroad from next season.

Severely struggling to perceive a situation where we would want to take the option in such a deal that you suggest (assuming, of course, you mean it's a club option and not the player's)

If we lose Baldock teams will easily beat us down the wings, especially if the championship still has big s*ithouse forwards.

Severely struggling to perceive a situation where we would want to take the option in such a deal that you suggest (assuming, of course, you mean it's a club option and not the player's)
I would never, ever recommend an extension option a player could activate. Baldock is 30; a one year deal with a club option for a further year is a sensible way of managing his inevitable physical decline.

Baldock is going, we won't pay what he will want. He'd cost some side the best part of 5-10m if he wasn't out of contract so someone will pay that in wages over 3 seasons and it won't be us.

We've already got Bogle, we signed the young Irish lad and Bubayu and Seriki signed new contracts so we are well stocked for the Championship, especially if Wilder signs Holgate permanently

Just a reminder that it was Bogle at wing back when we:
Lost 8-0 to Newcastle
Lost 5-0 to Arsenal
Lost 5-2 to Brighton
Lost 5-0 to Villa

I don’t see us taking such hammerings if we have Baldock’s defensive discipline.

The only spanking Baldock played in was the 5-0 at Burnley and that is grossly exaggerated by the fact they had a free hit for 55 minutes and only scored the last 3 in the final 17 minutes, when we were no doubt dead on our feet.

Point being all the collapses have happened without George’s experience in the team. There is definitely room in the squad for a defender who actually takes defending seriously.

As I've mentioned before, his head is now thinking of that retirement home in Greece, a nice end to a decent career and who knows a bit of warm weather will help the old muscles. I'm sure he will still give his all for us when he's selected, but we have to think of the future

Whilst id love Baldock to stay you can't blame him if he had a spell in the sun in his (Grand) motherland of Greece.

He's been a great player for us, put in shift after shift, whatever he's decides to do he deserves it.

Στην υγειά μας!

I'd love him to stay with us for another couple of years as I really rate the lad. That said, if he decides he wants to move on to pastures new (i.e. in Greece) then I wouldn't begrudge him that opportunity and I would wish him well and watch his future career closely. Another couple of years yet though GG before your get that sun tan cream bought.

Baldock is going, we won't pay what he will want. He'd cost some side the best part of 5-10m if he wasn't out of contract so someone will pay that in wages over 3 seasons and it won't be us.

We've already got Bogle, we signed the young Irish lad and Bubayu and Seriki signed new contracts so we are well stocked for the Championship, especially if Wilder signs Holgate permanently
Out of all those kids I would be surprised if any are championship quality next season. Currently aren't.

We definitely need two good options for RWB/RB - a more solid type in addition to Bogle, but I think that will be Holgate, not Baldock. Curtis to be the 3rd option

I'm sure Baldock will come back in soon and immediately have us all wanting him to stay again. Because he's excellent. But we need to remember the injury issues, and also consider who'd be first choice next season - which is probably Bogle, if he stays

Back
Top Bottom