Outgoing? Baldock

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheffield United have been dealt a major blow in their bid to keep George Baldock at Bramall Lane this summer.
That’s according to a report by the Daily Mail, who claim that Olympiakos and Burnley have joined Celtic in the race for the right-back in the summer transfer window.

It is claimed that the Scottish side are keen to take the 28-year-old on a temporary basis, however, Slavisa Jokanovic would not be open to anything other than sanctioning the permanent sale of the defender this summer, with it being reported that the Blades’ are demanding a fee of around £8m in order to part with Baldock.
FootballFan Cast

Honestly the way they write story’s nowadays makes it sound like just because clubs have shown an interest the players gone. Dealt a blow, why is he not currently contracted or employed by us?

The two clubs in question give me a break, Olympiakos a place were players go to retire or get a change of scenery and Burnley a club that every season is on the brink of relegation needing to put a string of wins together to survive.

Honestly the way they write story’s nowadays makes it sound like just because clubs have shown an interest the players gone. Dealt a blow, why is he not currently contracted or employed by us?

The two clubs in question give me a break, Olympiakos a place were players go to retire or get a change of scenery and Burnley a club that every season is on the brink of relegation needing to put a string of wins together to survive.

I'm sure George would rather be playing PL football for Burnley. Further, isn't he part Greek, so Olympiakos may hold more appeal to him than it does you or I.

billyblademan, Im sure he would like to play premier league football but joining a club with an ageing squad and getting increasingly more desperate season on season with its transfer business does not seem like a permanent career progression move. George will probably have some sort of affinity with Greek football, but I’d question his intentions if he was to join a club who’s owner was up till recently under investigation for the following:

1E6DD33B-3509-4121-8B58-4CE0E64B8FDE.jpeg

Last edited:

I bet all the Greek clubs are skint anyway with a combination of their economic crisis and COVID. Probably another on the loan to buy list!

Burnley would make sense. Barnsley is mid 30s and I think Lowton is early 30s. What a good career Lowton ended up making.

Lowton has had a solid career, he’s one of the academy lads that is up there with some of the best graduates we have produced but often goes under the radar, because he never played for England. 8 seasons in the top flight and only three club. Solid.

yes can see burnley coming in for him and with us having bogle and seriki for this position could well see us selling however i wouldnt accept anything less than 10m

Watched highlights from saturday and Baldock was much involved in our attacks and looked to be big part of our playing. How easy he is to replace?

If he wants to play international football before he retires and we don't get promoted so can't offer him premier league footy then I think he'll push for the move tbh.
And even if we do get promoted I think he's starting to realize he would be second fiddle behind a fully fit Bogle.

Bogle is the better of the two. Baldock is very limited when going forward and often finds himself running into the corner with the ball as he has no confidence in his crossing.

Bogle is the better of the two. Baldock is very limited when going forward and often finds himself running into the corner with the ball as he has no confidence in his crossing.

I remember a couple of years ago suggesting that we should push the boat out for Matty Cash.

I was told by most on here that he would be second fiddle to Baldock. I suggested that it was nonsense and that Baldock was actually a real weak link in our side due to his lack of attacking output as a wing back in a system that relied on it.

Anyway, a year or two on and Matty Cash is rumoured to be interesting Atletico Madrid at £40m, whilst Baldock has struggled for a first team place in the Championship this season and is attracting interest from Olympiakos.
Would be shocked if it's even at 15-20% of the value Cash is worth.

I like Baldock a lot. He's an excellent defender, a good athlete, good competitor and a strong leader. He also talks very well and looks like he's a great club man.
But in our system those limitations became too apparent and we've seen with Bogle what a difference it makes having an attacking outlet from wide.

I doubt they will offer the money to make this worthwhile.

If you look at their purchases over the last few years, Podence was highest at about 7m, as a young attacking player that they could sell on at a profit (and did to Wolves) and we know attackers typically attract more.

With the issues we've had this season with injuries, I think it has highlighted how far off some of the youngsters are. I'd say Seriki for instance needs a loan of any type next year, even non league to make him aware of the requirements of men's football. Then assuming this helps, he probably needs a loan at League One level to show that his ability is there to match the knowhow of the prior season.

In addition, it also highlights that if we are going down the route of youth, then we have to be a in and the Academy has to be A standard. If someone is doing well against the youths of Man U or Arsenal regularly, we'd have more confidence than if they are battering Peterborough.

Cashing in on Baldock for 3m for example, is neither here nor there. He'll need replacing. He'll also need replacing with sufficient quality. Plus that is a harder sell to someone coming in from outside, when they know a fit again Bogle probably starts as the first pick.

Unless of course Wisdom comes in and blows the doors off but after not playing all season, that seems an unrealistic ask.

Plus Baldock, with Bash and Billy represent the heart of what United are all about. You can't just buy that.

Been a great servant to the club, always gives his best and wears his heart on his sleeve. Think he’s probably been one of the better full backs we’ve had in recent times. Can’t begrudge him a move to a club like that though if it materialises, Bogle has shown more than an enough to hold down that place.

Might be worth moving on if we can get a good fee. Bogle is probably number 1 choice now in that spot. Seriki could offer back up.

It depends on what Baldock wants obviously, because if he wants out it's hard to keep him. But if he wants to be here, I wouldn't sell him unless it's 10+ million. It's so hard to find competent full backs.

I'm sure a number of Utd's players will be linked with moves away especially if they aren't promoted - some of them will have merit, some will be just agents and journalists making things up.

I suspect there will be quite a churn over summer especially if the club will be in the Champ again next season - there will be a need to move some of the higher earners on, some will be able to secure moves to top divisions in other countries (although only Egan, Berge and possibly Bogle) could move to the Prem), and PH may wish to wheel & deal others in order to get his preferred players in (the first chance he'll have to do so).

With regards to Baldock, I think he's done a great job for Utd - always committed, a very good defender and has obviously enjoyed his time with the club. However, I don't think he's a natural RWB, he's on a very decent wage for the Champ, he's not getting any younger and he's again starting to suffer with more injuries. For those reasons I'd be inclined to move him on if Bogle will stay. However, some of the fees mentioned above are laughable - what Utd are able to realise for the player will be much, much lower than many are expecting.

In terms of cover, unless PH feels Osborn or Bash could provide it if required (assuming both remain at the club), someone else will be required as Seriki is currently still miles away from being good enough.

With the way our squads gone down with injuries this season I'd be loathed to lose him.

Baldock has played less than half of the club's games this season. Some missed were due to team selection but many were due to him being unavailable. He does have previous for being prone to calf injuries.

Despite being better suited to a 4-4-2, Baldock has never let us down and I'd love him to stay until the end of his career. He cost peanuts and will always be welcome back at the lane.

Lazy journalism in my opinion. I do think Baldock would probably want to go though given that opportunity, champions league football & aiming for titles.

Back
Top Bottom