Assett of Community Value

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Westran

Reaction score
Fans of the team across the city are arguing that Hillsborough should be designated as an assett of value to the community, it would give the stadium protected status against any future plan to change use of the stadium.

Regardless of our views of their motive, I personally feel Bramall Lane is much more worthy of this status, although I wouldn't argue against Hillsborough being given this status too.

I'm quite happy to take a similar approach as the pig fans have if you're willing to support me.

Link to details of the pig process so far

Email from Wednesday Supporters Trust
Subject: Re: Designation of Hillsborough as an Asset of Community Value

Dear Sheffield City Councillors,

I hope this finds you well.

The Sheffield Wednesday Supporters' Trust continues to progress its application to have Hillsborough Football Stadium designated an Asset of Community Value with submission aimed for the week commencing the 5th July.

As part of the evidence we are collecting as part of our application, the Supporters' Trust launched last night a petition to show support for the ACV designation among the SWFC fanbase and wider community.

It would be great to have your names attached. You can sign up here through the Trust's ACV webpage - https://www.swfctrust.co.uk/acv

Kind regards,

I am writing to you on behalf of the Sheffield Wednesday Supporters’ Trust to ask for your support to encourage Sheffield City Council to designate Hillsborough Stadium as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) under the Localism Act (2011).

Hillsborough Stadium, the home of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, plays a huge role in the lives of your constituents and those of the wider City Region.

It represents a meeting place for families and friendship groups of all ages and backgrounds, the beating heart of a community that extends way beyond the city boundaries, and connection to a history and local heritage stretching back over 120 years.

The economic value of the stadium to the local community and wider city have never been so starkly illustrated as during the current pandemic, with local businesses currently suffering from a loss of the regular footfall and sense of vibrancy that regular match days bring.

How can you help?

We are currently working with local city councillors for the Hillsborough area on the application, and are currently liaising with several Members of Parliament for Sheffield.

So how can you help?

Section C of the nomination form requires 'evidence of support' for the bid from the local community and evidence that the 'asset' is currently of community value that promote social well-being. This means you can support our campaign in many ways, and we believe your voice will be hugely influential. Support might include:

1. Signing our Petition: I have attached a petition to this email prior to wider public release. If would like to be one of the first to sign our petition, please reply to this email, and the Trust will add you to the signatories.
  2. Writing Statement: A short statement identifying your support for the application and accentuating how the stadium contributes to the social well-being of the wider Sheffield city region by providing a meeting place for families and friends would really strengthen our bid.
  3. Media: We are aiming for submission of the documentation to Sheffield City Council in the opening two weeks of July. If you would like to indicate your support in the media, either traditional or social, in the build-up to our application, then Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Trust would be happy to bring attention to that through our social media channels.

We provide further information below regarding why you might support the bid, but If you have any questions about the campaign or would like to discuss further myself and other members of the interim board would be delighted to arrange a briefing for you.

Why worry about the future of Hillsborough Stadium?

All football clubs are subject to huge financial pressures created by the ongoing effects of the current global pandemic, and this fact, coupled with comments made by the Club’s owner Dejphon Chansiri in a December 20 press conference about cash flow challenges at SWFC, represent a worrying picture for many of your constituents.

Moreover you may have seen local media coverage in Autumn 2020 about the Club’s owner securing debt against the stadium, a development which raises questions about long-term ownership, pending a substantial repayment due in September 2021.

What is the SWFC Supporters’ Trust?

The Trust is a Community Benefit Society set up by ordinary Wednesday fans in March 2020, affiliated with Football Supporters’ Association and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We have been recruiting members virtually since July 2020 and have more than 560 paying members, whilst regularly reaching out to a much wider fan base of 20k plus with online surveys and research reports.

As a democratic organisation we have secured a mandate from members to take the ACV plan forward. Our recent ballot saw 96.2% members vote in favour, (51.3% turnout) and was preceded by an online consultation. We have also written to the Football Club formally to update them on our plans. We are now planning an extensive community consultation programme including local politicians, residents groups and other stakeholders.

How will an ACV benefit the community?

As you may know ACV legislation not only makes provision for the wider community to be consulted prior to any sale for a fixed 5 year period, it provides leverage to make greater community use of the space on non-match days, potentially benefiting a range of people beyond the city’s football fans.

Crucially for all Sheffield Wednesday fans, it also provides checks and balances that will help to avoid any scenario in which the community and fan base wakes up one morning to learn that the ground and the land has been sold from underneath the historic club without warning or steps to recourse.

A large number and range of other football stadia in England are already subject to ACVs including Liverpool’s Anfield, Manchester United’s Old Trafford and Leeds United’s Elland Road, along with numerous smaller grounds and facilities. It is also crucial to note, that this status has been proven not to deter inward investment or positive sale scenarios for other football clubs in the past.

We hope that you agree with our members that ACV status would help to secure the ongoing future of this internationally famous and historic jewel in the crown of our City’s sporting heritage, and measurably benefit the community that has played host to it for 122 years.

Yours sincerely

Crucially for all Sheffield Wednesday fans, it also provides checks and balances that will help to avoid any scenario in which the community and fan base wakes up one morning to learn that the ground and the land has been sold from underneath the historic club without warning or steps to recourse.

Erm.....bit late there lads.

They’re making a mistake that will hold back their club. If it can’t be used for anything other than football this will limit any potential value should they want to sell the site and move elsewhere?

I see they’re also talkng about getting the North Stand listed, again wouldn’t this hamper any future redevelopment plan for Hillsborough?

Stand to be corrected on all that but we’d face the same issues if we went down that route wouldn’t we?

Last edited:
They’re they’re making a mistake that will hold back their club. If it can’t be used for anything other than football this will limit any potential value should they want to sell the site and move elsewhere?

I see they’re also talkng about getting the North Stand listed, again wouldn’t this hamper any future redevelopment plan for Hillsborough?

Stand to be corrected on all that but we’d face the same issues if we went down that route wouldn’t we?
Pig fans being short sighted. Who'd o' thunk it?

They’re making a mistake that will hold back their club. If it can’t be used for anything other than football this will limit any potential value should they want to sell the site and move elsewhere?

Not sure it would work like that. Pretty certain the council would allow for lots of other uses other than football, like education and voluntary work

How can it be a community asset if:
A) the community doesn’t own it… meaning that they can’t influence what the owner does with it.
B) it’s capacity is approx 40k and they will get less than 1/2 that whilst they’re in league one

Plus what is there to stop the owner moving HIS football club to play in another purpose built ground If the current ground is unworkable… for example it’s a flood risk

I am writing to you on behalf of the Sheffield Wednesday Supporters’ Trust to ask for your support to encourage Sheffield City Council to designate Hillsborough Stadium as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) under the Localism Act (2011).

Hillsborough Stadium, the home of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, plays a huge role in the lives of your constituents and those of the wider City Region.

It represents a meeting place for families and friendship groups of all ages and backgrounds, the beating heart of a community that extends way beyond the city boundaries, and connection to a history and local heritage stretching back over 120 years.

The economic value of the stadium to the local community and wider city have never been so starkly illustrated as during the current pandemic, with local businesses currently suffering from a loss of the regular footfall and sense of vibrancy that regular match days bring.

How can you help?

We are currently working with local city councillors for the Hillsborough area on the application, and are currently liaising with several Members of Parliament for Sheffield.

So how can you help?

Section C of the nomination form requires 'evidence of support' for the bid from the local community and evidence that the 'asset' is currently of community value that promote social well-being. This means you can support our campaign in many ways, and we believe your voice will be hugely influential. Support might include:

1. Signing our Petition: I have attached a petition to this email prior to wider public release. If would like to be one of the first to sign our petition, please reply to this email, and the Trust will add you to the signatories.
  2. Writing Statement: A short statement identifying your support for the application and accentuating how the stadium contributes to the social well-being of the wider Sheffield city region by providing a meeting place for families and friends would really strengthen our bid.
  3. Media: We are aiming for submission of the documentation to Sheffield City Council in the opening two weeks of July. If you would like to indicate your support in the media, either traditional or social, in the build-up to our application, then Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Trust would be happy to bring attention to that through our social media channels.

We provide further information below regarding why you might support the bid, but If you have any questions about the campaign or would like to discuss further myself and other members of the interim board would be delighted to arrange a briefing for you.

Why worry about the future of Hillsborough Stadium?

All football clubs are subject to huge financial pressures created by the ongoing effects of the current global pandemic, and this fact, coupled with comments made by the Club’s owner Dejphon Chansiri in a December 20 press conference about cash flow challenges at SWFC, represent a worrying picture for many of your constituents.

Moreover you may have seen local media coverage in Autumn 2020 about the Club’s owner securing debt against the stadium, a development which raises questions about long-term ownership, pending a substantial repayment due in September 2021.

What is the SWFC Supporters’ Trust?

The Trust is a Community Benefit Society set up by ordinary Wednesday fans in March 2020, affiliated with Football Supporters’ Association and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We have been recruiting members virtually since July 2020 and have more than 560 paying members, whilst regularly reaching out to a much wider fan base of 20k plus with online surveys and research reports.

As a democratic organisation we have secured a mandate from members to take the ACV plan forward. Our recent ballot saw 96.2% members vote in favour, (51.3% turnout) and was preceded by an online consultation. We have also written to the Football Club formally to update them on our plans. We are now planning an extensive community consultation programme including local politicians, residents groups and other stakeholders.

How will an ACV benefit the community?

As you may know ACV legislation not only makes provision for the wider community to be consulted prior to any sale for a fixed 5 year period, it provides leverage to make greater community use of the space on non-match days, potentially benefiting a range of people beyond the city’s football fans.

A large number and range of other football stadia in England are already subject to ACVs including Liverpool’s Anfield, Manchester United’s Old Trafford and Leeds United’s Elland Road, along with numerous smaller grounds and facilities. It is also crucial to note, that this status has been proven not to deter inward investment or positive sale scenarios for other football clubs in the past.

We hope that you agree with our members that ACV status would help to secure the ongoing future of this internationally famous and historic jewel in the crown of our City’s sporting heritage, and measurably benefit the community that has played host to it for 122 years.

Yours sincerely
Be careful with this request it may not be in the best interest of SUFC

Be careful with this request it may not be in the best interest of in what sense would making Bramall Lane a community assett not be in the interests of us as fans?
In what sense would this not be in our interests?

How can it be a community asset if:
A) the community doesn’t own it… meaning that they can’t influence what the owner does with it.
B) it’s capacity is approx 40k and they will get less than 1/2 that whilst they’re in league one

Plus what is there to stop the owner moving HIS football club to play in another purpose built ground If the current ground is unworkable… for example it’s a flood risk
Regardless of whether we agree with it being a community assett or not, the pig fans are successfully arguing that Hillsborough should be. Don't we want Bramall Lane to be given the same status?

This ACV is not much more than a load of nonsense....
But the North Stand at the sty is possibly worth listing - It is sort of of architectural merit/history.
It would also be fucking hillarious cos then they could do nothing to it realistically

The name 'Hillsborough' is tainted. I'm sure it's one reason why they have been unable to attract a top class investor.

The fans should be writing to the council asking for either help in moving to another stadium or changing the name back to Owlerton.

In what sense would this not be in our interests?
Once BL is a community asset there will be restrictions on what can and cannot be done with it.
There is little benefit to SUFC in it being part of the community, just a possible benefit to the area itself, although it is probably far too big in total to be of much use to the community.

Once BL is a community asset there will be restrictions on what can and cannot be done with it.
There is little benefit to SUFC in it being part of the community, just a possible benefit to the area itself, although it is probably far too big in total to be of much use to the community.
Isn't this where Chansiri started?

Regardless of whether we agree with it being a community assett or not, the pig fans are successfully arguing that Hillsborough should be. Don't we want Bramall Lane to be given the same status?
That’s the point, how is it a community asset? Surely the owner just wriggles out and it creates more tension

Personally I don’t know what benefits this would really give us.

If he puts a plinth in the centre of the new shopping complex / appartments with a blue historical marker then that's suffice to acknowledge the history of that particular landmark.. Its the same all over the country...

The land is owned by chansiri snr... And the ground is like a tatty old sofa with a cheap throw lobbed over it.. I can't believe they want to hang onto the dump..

As another poster has said... Horse left the stable a while ago....

Seems to me to be just another example of the Grunters trying to pull the gun out of their holster only to end up shooting themselves in the foot. They are doing this because they are shit scared that Mr C might want to flog the Old Slag to a developer to try and get some money back on his bet which has well adnd truly gone down the shitter. If they are successful, it might stop the Tuna Kahuna from selling it to a developer but they are then hamstrung with all sorts of red tape if they want to apply a bit of mascara and lippy to the Old Slag.

As we seem to have an owner who has our best interests at heart (as well as his own no doubt) there really is no need for us to try to do likewise. Keep the council out of our business (they've never really helped us before have they) and then subject to planning permissions Utd are free to do what they want to do to the Lane.

I hope their successful as it is another mistake I think.

Surely this could backfire massively for them? If Chancer gets wind of it, I can't see him being happy about it at all.

As others have said, along with the complications for planning any redevelopments, the value of the land would likely decrease and thus the value of the ground. Chancer's stubbornness has so far proven that he won't let any assets go at market value, never mind less than he paid for them.

Well, nobody can accuse you of fishing for likes Marty_Mcfly !

I have the opposite view. I think it should have already been demolished.

This is not out of spite for our neighbours.

But after the tragic death of the 96 Liverpool fans I think there would have been support to demolish the stadium and move somewhere without such a stigma attached to it. You could do this whilst still being respectful to those who lost their lives.

Sell off the land but retain a small part as a fitting memorial garden for those who passed untimely.

It is a place synonymous with a tragic event. The ground itself is the only one I've been to where I didn't feel safe. The passageways between the concourse at leppings lane and the seating is narrower than the Cu Chi tunnels. I'm not being flippant I've been in those and they are certainly no worse.

Move to another ground and call it New Hillsborough, New Owlerton or something of the like. I think they could have got funding if they'd have handled the situation better. The lack of safety cert being a huge stain on the club itself for which they seemed to have escaped through technicalities of ownership changes and holding companies.

But I didn't want to open up old wounds.

For the reasons above I think they should move and the place be demolished. Whether it is the oldest full pitch length cantilever stand or not. Honestly, who gives a shit? It hardly makes it the Leaning Tower of Pisa and worth preserving. Not that the Leaning Tower of Pisa is worth anymore than a 5 minute trip to the Courtyard just to say "ah yes, so it does!"

I see Millmoor is unused. It holds almost 9,000. How many more does a third division club need? 😉

Last edited:
Have any other clubs done this already?
Sport and leisure facilities include Ewood Park football stadium, Old Trafford football stadium, St. Andrews football stadium, Blackpool Football Stadium, Bloomfield Road, Blackpool, [10]Newbury Football Ground (West Berks), [11]Reading FC's Madejski Stadium, The Valley and the South Bank Undercroft; sports clubs; parks including Myddleton Square in Islington.

Worth reading as some posters seem to be getting it confused with having it “listed”.

Sport and leisure facilities include Ewood Park football stadium, Old Trafford football stadium, St. Andrews football stadium, Blackpool Football Stadium, Bloomfield Road, Blackpool, [10]Newbury Football Ground (West Berks), [11]Reading FC's Madejski Stadium, The Valley and the South Bank Undercroft; sports clubs; parks including Myddleton Square in Islington.

Worth reading as some posters seem to be getting it confused with having it “listed”.
True, but it is not unusual to apply for listing on a building that may become a CA

Let Tesco have it, and before you suggest I'm biased against the pigs I suggest Tesco so in a remembrance to the football team because of the blue and white stripe bags, everyones a winner

Back
Top Bottom