Are we really going to struggle?.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm currently on holiday on the moon. No Preston fans here...yet.
index.php
Lunatic

Not at all. I dreamt last night that we beat Brentford 4-0 on opening day then beat Derby 0-1 on second game. Only issues I see is that we're not playing Derby and Gary Hooper scored the goal

We'll be reyt. Comfortable mid-table is my guess.

You don't need to spend a fortune in this division unless you've an ego to stroke along the line somewhere.

Not at all. I dreamt last night that we beat Brentford 4-0 on opening day then beat Derby 0-1 on second game. Only issues I see is that we're not playing Derby and Gary Hooper scored the goal

How's that work?? Must be a bit of a weirdo Matt.
No-one has ever scored for United in my dreams except for ME (and seldom less than a brace at that)!

I've never looked forward to a new season as next season.
There's only 1990 when we returned to div 1 with Bassett and 2007 when we went up to the PL with Warnock that raises a similar level of excitement and expectation. That's the reason why I've bought my first season ticket since being out of the PL.

Logic suggests we should easily stay up, probably mid table
But Wilder does seem to have the Midas touch, eveything he touches turns to gold.
Even if we reached the playoffs with Wilder I'd expect us to win.
If we had a penalty shoot out against the Germans, with Wilder in charge I'd expect us to win.

So although I expect us to finish comfortable mid table it wouldn't surprise me if we are the Huddersfield of next season and get close or even into the playoffs.

We are a club on the march
Wilder has brought back a "feel good" factor that's even bigger than what Warnock achieved.

I really feel sorry for the pessimist and the doom and gloom brigade who had to go into hiding.
Because there was virtually nothing to complain about last season, up there with the best season I've seen us play in the 40+ years I've been watching the Blades.

We didn't just win matches but we dominated and played some fantastic football.
I've never been so relaxed watching the Blades. Even when we went 1-0 down I knew we'd come back.

PS: Agree with have too many players with great potential, so we don't know 100% how they'll cope in the higher league but remember we do have a contingency fund to strengthen or buy whoever in Jan18 once Wilder knows where the weaknesses are. We'll be fine.

Quality post that Sheff Steel , I echo every comment you make there , sometimes other people's pesimism amazes me , if you brought them a chest of gold they'd say how the fuck do you expect me to carry that home .. no winning sometimes eh ?

sometimes other people's pesimism amazes me

History suggests we have our best seasons on the back of poor previous seasons and vice versa.

1974/75 - Finish in highest position in my lifetime, first 100k signing, open new stand, 75/76 DISASTER.
1980/81 - Relegated to lowest level in our history, 81/82 CHAMPIONS
1987/88 - Relegated back to Div3 in chaos, still got Wally Downes, 88/89 PROMOTED in style.
1996/97 - Great finish by Kendall, going places, 97/98 DULL as shit and play-off final failure
2002/03 - Triple Assault, going places, 03/04 GOING NOWHERE
2004/05 - Piss poor, going backwards, Warnocks last chance(?), 05/06 PROMOTED in style.
2006/07 - Great finish by Blackwell, going places, 07/08 DULLER than DULL as shit, play-off final failure.
2013/14 - Great finish by Clough, going places, 14/15 DULL DISSAPPOINTMENT, play off failure
2015/16 - Fucking Golden CV and his flapping geese shit, Hammond new contract, 16/17 CHAMPIONS

I am absolutely buzzing for the new season so hoping for an exception to the rule (i.e 89/90 back to back promotion)

I'm currently on holiday in Austria and wore my blades shirt. I met a Preston fan who basically said that we'd be relegated just after xmas!!. He said it's because we've joined the big boys league and haven't splashed the cash!!. I laughed at his opinion as he sounded just like a typical Wendy fan!!!. I told him that we have a bloody good manager who has got the best out of his players!!. Thoughts anyone?. Utb
Ah the mighty PNE.Bit gobshitey some of their fans,Christ knows why.Looks like transition for them if Grayson goes to Sunland.They might fancy Moyes back.Good luck wi that.I love that no one amongst the media has mentioned us for top six finish .It's good to be humble and just quietly get on with it.Leave the Billy big bollox to our classless neighbours and others who adorn that crown.UTB

If we don't add any more players, we'll be in a relegation fight. But the window doesn't shut for two months.

Even then, I’d be very confident that there would be 3 or more worse teams than us. I suspect the team we went up with would have a good chance of staying up and we’ve added Ched, Stevens, Thomas and Baldock since then. Suppose we’ve lost EEL and Chapman though. But if we add 1 good centre half (ideally a sweeper/ organiser to compete with Wright), and another adequate one for cover (possibly EEL) then I’ll be extremely confident we’ll stay up even if we don’t get the likes of Leonard, Holmes etc.

Quality post that Sheff Steel , I echo every comment you make there , sometimes other people's pesimism amazes me , if you brought them a chest of gold they'd say how the fuck do you expect me to carry that home .. no winning sometimes eh ?

I think it's ultimately comes down to the individuals personality. Some people just moan.

Even then, I’d be very confident that there would be 3 or more worse teams than us. I suspect the team we went up with would have a good chance of staying up and we’ve added Ched, Stevens, Thomas and Baldock since then. Suppose we’ve lost EEL and Chapman though. But if we add 1 good centre half (ideally a sweeper/ organiser to compete with Wright), and another adequate one for cover (possibly EEL) then I’ll be extremely confident we’ll stay up even if we don’t get the likes of Leonard, Holmes etc.
Yes I agree we are going to struggle without any better quality signings . I hope Chris doesn't make same mistake as warnock with going one goalie Kenny needed somebody to challenge him and so does Moore utb

Yes I agree we are going to struggle without any better quality signings . I hope Chris doesn't make same mistake as warnock with going one goalie Kenny needed somebody to challenge him and so does Moore utb

There is still George Long. Wilder hasn't said much about for quite a while, but he remains a part of the squad. How do we know that a long spell out of the firing line hasn't been greatly beneficial to him, and having to play understudy to a genuine top class number 1, hasn't improved his own game?

I'm certain that if Long couldn't do a job for us Wilder would have had rid of him and brought it someone to replace him,

There is still George Long. Wilder hasn't said much about for quite a while, but he remains a part of the squad. How do we know that a long spell out of the firing line hasn't been greatly beneficial to him, and having to play understudy to a genuine top class number 1, hasn't improved his own game?

I'm certain that if Long couldn't do a job for us Wilder would have had rid of him and brought it someone to replace him,

I think Chris is letting longs contract run out and will not renew it

I'm afraid I think we will struggle, none of the players brought in are world beaters, and lack of a quality centre half or two yet, is abit worrying.Realistically I think we are looking at bottom 5, hopefully not in bottom 3.

I'm afraid I think we will struggle, none of the players brought in are world beaters, and lack of a quality centre half or two yet, is abit worrying.Realistically I think we are looking at bottom 5, hopefully not in bottom 3.

Good job the Championship isn't full of 'world' teams then, the worst we have to worry about is Middlesborough and even that isn't much of a fright.

All I know is that we will be able to tell definitively after 1 game and if we're struggling booing, loud moaning or silence are the only possible remedies.

Punctuated by the odd Gerritforrard or Shooooot for fucks sake. The latter only to be deployed when the player is 45 yards from goal, off balance and surrounded by a guerrilla army troop.

I'm going to Austria in September, has anyone got any tips on how to avoid Preston fans please?
That's easy!!. There's not that many pne fans!. They're outnumbered by fucking German twats who look at a blades shirt and haven't got a clue who the fuck we are!!. They'll find out in 3 years time when we beat Bayern Munich in the champions league semi final!!. Utb

That's easy!!. There's not that many pne fans!. They're outnumbered by fucking German twats who look at a blades shirt and haven't got a clue who the fuck we are!!. They'll find out in 3 years time when we beat Bayern Munich in the champions league semi final!!. Utb

Well that's made mind up, definitely buying the new shirt just to get the krauts staring.

I gave you a 'like' for your realistic honesty. This board is about all views and to be honest, I'm closer to you than the double promotion posters but I'm hoping the CW factor will make the difference.

Strangely I don't want some big £5m 'marquee signing' to come along and upset the apple cart. We were all wetting ourselves over the drinking/singing videos of the players celebrating and so we should. I don't want that spirit to be disturbed by rancour about some big time Charlie who comes in on £20k+ per week. Look how we've taken the piss out of Rhodes. Do we really want a mercenary like that?

Others may disagree and that's what footy is all about.

ISC (feeling goodwill to the Blade family after half a dozen pints in the Blake)

That's pessimism not realism. There are far more than five teams that we ought to finish above. Bolton, Burton, Millwall, Barnsley, Bristol City, QPR, Birmingham (don't give me any Redknapp crap, he's fucking overrated), Brentford, Forest, Wolves, Ipswich, Preston.

Of course we won't be above all of those, but there's no titans there. No teams that anyone not cap-doffing will be trembling about. We'll also finish above at least a couple I haven't mentioned. That's football. Stop toadying to mediocre opposition. It's embarrassing.

Bolton & Millwall are horrendous so that just means 1 Championship side has to be worse for us to go down.

Not expecting us to be challenging top half to be honest, and that’s OK.

It's nigh on impossible to call but who'd have thought after that slightly slow start last season we'd have such a brilliant recovery? I think it's really hard to predict how we will do, but one thing we do know is that we have a management team now that can adapt and learn as they go and not be afraid to change things along the way, like being prepared to drop players they just brought in this season when it wasn't working (not many have the balls to do that).

Are going to go down,are we going to make the playoffs,are gunna win the league?

Liverpool blade.

Get a life.

Are going to go down,are we going to make the playoffs,are gunna win the league?

Liverpool blade.

Get a life.
Thanks for those few kind words!!. I created the thread just to ask a simple question and see what others thought?. I'll make you happy and I won't post anything else on this forum!!. I don't need someone to troll me online!!!!!. A final few words to all blades on this forum!!. Here's hoping for a good season for the blades and who knows what the future holds?. I'll be there every step of the way though!!. Up the blades. In wilder we trust. Thanks all. Liverpool blade.

Thanks for those few kind words!!. I created the thread just to ask a simple question and see what others thought?. I'll make you happy and I won't post anything else on this forum!!. I don't need someone to troll me online!!!!!

I thought ourbob's post was a bit unnecessary but hardly 'trolling' so maybe you are being a bit over sensitive about this?

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's so don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

UTB!

I thought ourbob's post was a bit unnecessary but hardly 'trolling' so maybe you are being a bit over sensitive about this?

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's so don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

UTB!
Thanks for that. Perhaps I may have been a bit sensitive. That kind of thing really annoys me though!!. I may still put other posts on during the season!!.

Back
Top Bottom