Are fans starting to side with the Prince over CW?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No - just look at the Poll!

Wait and see what happens then come back to this in 12 months. The Prince took control of the club during the best time in our history. He has spent only the money brought into the club by the success in this pitch. He has also had a major hand in the best manager in our history leaving the club. He seems to care more about building an empire than he does on looking after OUR club. I care about this club not buying players we will never see in a Blades shirt or buying a second division french club.
And yet some of our fan base think he’s the best thing since sliced bread it’s bizarre. The writing is on the wall he has no funds at all and already renegaded on two promises. The fact that some of our fans are backing a Saudi owner who watches from afar in front of Chris Wilder is quite frankly disgusting. By all means don’t take sides that’s fair enough but don’t trust the owner in front of a man who is one of us. Like I have said a million times come back in 6/12 months and see we’re we are.
Basically, most posters, even though we’re Blades, try to retain some level of optimism about the future. If it turns out PA is an idiot and a charlatan, we’re in deep shit. It’s not something that most people want to contemplate after losing a manager who’s been the best we’ve had for 30 years. Wilder’s gone and the only way we’ll find out whether that’s good for the club or not is by waiting to see what happens, not constantly shouting at each other on the internet. All we’re doing is re-running the same arguments over and over again. There’s nowt more to be said really.

As fans there is an upside to all this negativity.
If the Prince and the board are concerned around the PR, their only option in the summer is to back the required rebuild of the side for life in the championship.
I just can't see them standing by a mass sell off of players without reinvestment, them installing a puppet manager and accepting life at the bottom end of the Championship (at best). That will not get them the return on their investment, and trying to sell the club with a poor training ground, disgruntled fan base and little or no chance of promotion without significant investment isn't somewhere they'd like to be.
In short, it's entirely in their interests to push for promotion next season if they're looking to stay, or looking to sell.

The seasons after that is another matter entirely.

I still see some are still hoping for some sort of reconciliation and reappointment of CW. Hardly likely now as this shitshow will have seriously affected any chance of Wilder getting the Celtic job. The Old Firm are thin skinned when it comes to bad publicity. They’ll really want him if Chris is appointed but l think that ship might have sailed. Clean break, no compo. It’s not happened has it?

If as some feel PA is only after a return on his money then we’re better in the PL it goes without saying. Clearly there’s a limit to what he can spend but I can’t see how it benefits him to see us spiral down the leagues.
I said at the time and will repeat when all the court case kicked off I’d have happily seen the back of both of them but it’s not a democracy we don’t get a vote so for me what happens next and where we are in 2-3 years time will be the ultimate test of whether the decisions, whoever made them, were right or wrong

Firstly let me be clear, I love Chris Wilder. The best moments and the best football I've witnessed at the lane have been under him. I could never thank the guy enough.

But as the season has worn on, and Chris has become increasingly disgruntled about our setup and hinting his future might be elsewhere, is it not time he appreciates the club have stuck by him this season (and rightly so). The Premier League is cut throat and every manager in our predicament has been sacked, and most managers in a relegation zone are fired. It is a huge relief that the Prince has stuck by him and I don't think our owner can be at fault for anything thus far.

We have done the right thing to keep Chris as he is the right man if we are back in the Championship (and it means more to us as fans with him being in charge). But he HAS had big money to spend, maybe not on wages, but in comparison to what Daniel Farke had to work with at Norwich he's had something to work with.

Rome wasn't built in a day and surely he realizes it's not anybody's fault we have risen too quickly and in this position. Every club which goes down whether its Bournemouth or whoever have to sell some stars to keep things ticking over and he can't expect us to be any different. You can understand Chris being ambitious and we love that about him, but he only needs to look at history to see where the club has been for years, and what sort of monumental shift he needs to get things moving in the right direction long term.

What do people think? Is anybody else starting to lean towards and sympathize with the Prince and wish Chris would take a bit more responsibility for this season as well as acknowledging who we are and being more positive about the future?
Absolutely - time for a change. This season his recruitment was absolutely abysmal....as was his management, sycophantic press conferences and the team performances.....thanks for the great times....all good things run their course and come to an end.

It’s sad that CW has gone, but even his mum would admit that the team performances have been terrible and we do deserve to be exactly where we are in the table this season. So it’s perhaps understandable that Princey wouldn’t give him more money to spend in January when we all know we were effectively relegated by Christmas.
Given that, would spending a lot on wages for new signings be sensible if we were stuck paying those wages in the Championship? CW has always said the club wouldn’t get into stupid debt in the short term and suffer for it in the long term (like S6).
The signings over the past year have simply not worked out (remember CW saying at the end of last season that we would have a stronger squad at the start of this season). If Princey’s solution to that is the appointment of a DOF to support CW, a similar post to what most PL clubs apparently have, why wouldn’t CW accept that help? I don’t know, and I suspect no one on this site really does know.

The only thing that we DO know for certain is that it’s going to be an interesting few months before the start of next season.

So KMC doesn't spend anything and its not his fault because "we were in League 1"

PA spends but he can't be credited because "it was Prem money".

Seems like half our fans want a magical multi billionaire owner who's going to throw hundreds of millions at a championship club.

Not doing the research for you mate, I just did my own. Go and look at our transfer fees for the last season in League 1 and the 2 seasons in the Championship...the figures are there to see. Facts and figures mate, facts and figures.

And why were we in L1 in the first place?!

Because McCabe had squandered the PL money on shit signings and shitter obscure feeder clubs.

As is happening now!

People genuinely defending McCabe and attacking PA when they're both as shit as each other.

FWIW I'm not a fan of either, but it's categorically plain to see that PA has invested a shitload more money in a lot less than time than KMC ever did.

So I don't know pal, you tell me, why are you rewriting history to back up your argument?
I’m not defending McCabe he made some poor decisions. However some decisions he made such as appoint managers didn’t look bad at the time. I don’t think it’s in doubt he loved the club and has lost a shot load of money through bank rolling it and then having to sell it for peanuts.
The myth at the minute seems to be that the Prince has invested a shit load of money he hasn’t. He may have spent more money earned than what McCabe has but believe me the Prince is in a much better financial position because of success on the pitch than McCabe.
The Prince has reneged on two promises up to press and been the architect to our best ever manager leaving the club. I don’t want the owner of out club buying up various clubs round the world if I am honest that means he cannot be totally dedicated to SUFC.
Time will tell and I hope I am accused of talking bollocks in the next 12 months. But from everything I have heard and read it looks like we are in for another period of boardroom shit and a split fan base.

It’s sad that CW has gone, but even his mum would admit that the team performances have been terrible and we do deserve to be exactly where we are in the table this season. So it’s perhaps understandable that Princey wouldn’t give him more money to spend in January when we all know we were effectively relegated by Christmas.
Given that, would spending a lot on wages for new signings be sensible if we were stuck paying those wages in the Championship? CW has always said the club wouldn’t get into stupid debt in the short term and suffer for it in the long term (like S6).
The signings over the past year have simply not worked out (remember CW saying at the end of last season that we would have a stronger squad at the start of this season). If Princey’s solution to that is the appointment of a DOF to support CW, a similar post to what most PL clubs apparently have, why wouldn’t CW accept that help? I don’t know, and I suspect no one on this site really does know.

The only thing that we DO know for certain is that it’s going to be an interesting few months before the start of next season.
As you say, and I've said it again for you below - although if it gets to the stage of personal attacks on people who post on here I can see some simply losing interest and quite justifiably.

Rodwell, Morrison, Verrips, Foderingham, Robinson, Freeman

There's been plenty of that going on regardless.
Those players have worn the shirt to be fair the argument as to why they were brought in is a different argument. We have a player who won’t ever step foot in this country never mind put on a shirt. Does that sit well with anyone?

I still see some are still hoping for some sort of reconciliation and reappointment of CW. Hardly likely now as this shitshow will have seriously affected any chance of Wilder getting the Celtic job. The Old Firm are thin skinned when it comes to bad publicity. They’ll really want him if Chris is appointed but l think that ship might have sailed. Clean break, no compo. It’s not happened has it?
Didn't we wait around for Clough to agree some compo with Derby before he was announced? It must just be us who are the soft touch (again).

Those players have worn the shirt to be fair the argument as to why they were brought in is a different argument. We have a player who won’t ever step foot in this country never mind put on a shirt. Does that sit well with anyone?
Who you talking about Koulibaly?

Why does there have to be a side? It's not goodie v baddie. It's a complicated situation and it's not a black and white. We aren't talking about who's our best right wing back.

Because sometimes people are driven by everything being a binary choice, you've only got to look at the Covid threads for that.

I follow the "rules" in my rather fetching tin foil hat with matching mask......

I'm siding with who I've always sided with, Sheffield United Football club.

Seems a lot of bluff and bullshit regarding both sides in the online world, and very little fact (which we won't get if there are NDA's in place). So for better or worse, my take so far is this.

CW has been spoiling to leave for a while. You don't even have to be an amateur psychologist to notice the change in him, it has been as clear as day.

The Prince, I'm not convinced about at all I'm afraid. For better or worse, he is our owner, as we all know they all come and go. My main concern is the lack of anything from him. He wheeled Steve Bettis out and........erm................thats it. A significant point in our history, the next step of our journey will either lead to redemption or oblivion, and the man at the head of the table is conspicuous by his absence. He can do what he likes with his bog roll empire, but this is our club. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

So no, I'm not taking sides but I will say this with conviction. Nobody is coming out of this with any credit for now. It's hurting the club.

That won't do, that won't fucking do at all.

95%+ of owners have panicked at dropping into the relegation zone in the Premier League and sacked their manager. The Prince has publicly backed Chris all season until this has come to a head. I think that does show he is different and thinking longer term, rather than the usual knee jerk reaction to appoint an Allardyce and hope to salvage the premier league status.

95%+ of owners have panicked at dropping into the relegation zone in the Premier League and sacked their manager. The Prince has publicly backed Chris all season until this has come to a head. I think that does show he is different and thinking longer term, rather than the usual knee jerk reaction to appoint an Allardyce and hope to salvage the premier league status.

Fair points mainly he has backed him. One of my concerns was that, in my view, the prince backtracked on promises made for the JTW.

There may well be a plausible reason for that. But maybe my values are a little old fashioned, you don't backtrack on a promise unless there's nothing you can do about it.

We will see what happens.

Fair points mainly he has backed him. One of my concerns was that, in my view, the prince backtracked on promises made for the JTW.

There may well be a plausible reason for that. But maybe my values are a little old fashioned, you don't backtrack on a promise unless there's nothing you can do about it.

Ye completely understand, I think from what I could see on twitter - all Blades fans were in agreement any loans were pointless in January. Throwing money down the drain and at a lost cause.

I’m not defending McCabe he made some poor decisions. However some decisions he made such as appoint managers didn’t look bad at the time. I don’t think it’s in doubt he loved the club and has lost a shot load of money through bank rolling it and then having to sell it for peanuts.
The myth at the minute seems to be that the Prince has invested a shit load of money he hasn’t. He may have spent more money earned than what McCabe has but believe me the Prince is in a much better financial position because of success on the pitch than McCabe.
The Prince has reneged on two promises up to press and been the architect to our best ever manager leaving the club. I don’t want the owner of out club buying up various clubs round the world if I am honest that means he cannot be totally dedicated to SUFC.
Time will tell and I hope I am accused of talking bollocks in the next 12 months. But from everything I have heard and read it looks like we are in for another period of boardroom shit and a split fan base.
I think we all agree that McCabe made some poor decisions. Some might put it decidedly more bluntly than that. Particularly taking into account the nine years following relegation from the Premier League last time.

It was McCabe who made his pitch to, and "recruited", the Prince. McCabe then, it seems to me, tried to "pull a fast one" and played his hand so badly that the Prince won in court. As some will have read, the judge was rather scathing of McCabe.

I am not sure about this "myth" you refer to. People are saying, quite correctly, that the Prince has made more money available to CW than any other manager has ever been given at this club. Presumably, no one disputes that? No one, as far as I am aware, has ever said that it has all come out of his own pocket. Why would it? He has said, and we know, he is not a billionaire with millions available to fund the team. However, maybe he did fund some of the transfers, as some have said, and if that is true then he should be applauded for that instead of simply being castigated.

In respect of the "financial position", I have always assumed that is how businesses are run. If a business, in this case a football team, is successful you use that success as leverage (ie borrowing) to borrow, obtain advances, fund purchases (whether it be a paper-clip or a Norwegian international), etc. Why would you put your hand in your own pocket if you are guaranteed future sums against which you can get an advance? I am sure the accountants on here can put it far more eloquently.

The Prince may have reneged on two things he said to CW (and in the press?). Repeatedly using"promises" merely dramatizes the situation and shows the Prince in a bad light. I assume that is the intention. Maybe he said he would do something, maybe he did promise, maybe he added conditions, maybe he said he would see how things went, etc., etc. When all said and done, this is a business. We are not the NHS or any other type of black-hole where money is thoughtlessly poured in again and again. Even if the Prince was a billionaire, if he was in his right mind, he wouldn't do that. Anyone with any sense would reconsider throwing good money after bad if it seemed the position was such that it could not be rescued. Changing your mind and deciding not to spend millions, if you think that the situation is so bad, I suggest, would seem to most as being sensible. Some might see as a justification for not going with the "two promised" loans in January - if I am correct in thinking these are the "two" things you are referring to.

Time will tell, too true.

It is a shame that we do not know what really happened last weekend. Maybe it will come out and we will get to read exactly what happened with all the important details on both sides. I doubt it. I have been waiting for the truth about the Kennedy Assassination for over 57 years and the buggers still won't let on. (Someone of you on Blades-Mad may well have read my posts from Dallas on the 50th Anniversary of the assassination in 2013 as I was there at the ceremony in Dealey Plaza. As bizarre as it may seem, I am finding it difficult, at the moment, to decide which is the most important CW or JFK - you can imagine the quandary I am in!)

I hope you are talking bollocks.

I hope the Prince does "good" "at the end of the day".

However, I am not holding my breath. But I don't suppose I was anyway as I did not really think we would come straight back up next season.

Maybe the Prince will confound me!

It would be interesting to know when that promise was made, against when it was broken.

I reckon had Brewster been above OG in the scoring charts, and both Ramsdale and Mousse (in his Lambo) been able to handle corners, coupled with us been within a few points off 17th either side, PA would have stumped up some cash, after all we have seen him write out cheques in the last 18 months worth around £110million.

However, seeing the team good as relegated, CW's recruitment as slack as a baghouses gash, and CW been disruptive, maybe he decided to keep his bullets for a battle he can win, promotion 21/22.

Apart from Lingard, dont know any more names, but they would have been expensive, already looking forward to returning to their parent clubs in the summer, with no real care for the football club.

I just cant help but think, and I hope Im wrong, that CW disrupted the situation - anyone preciding over a team that bad would welcome a DoF over the sack.
As a Blade, surely CW would have been even more accommodating? The chance to put right the wrong, and step out into a full BDTBL again?

It would be interesting to know when that promise was made, against when it was broken.

I reckon had Brewster been above OG in the scoring charts, and both Ramsdale and Mousse (in his Lambo) been able to handle corners, coupled with us been within a few points off 17th either side, PA would have stumped up some cash, after all we have seen him write out cheques in the last 18 months worth around £110million.

However, seeing the team good as relegated, CW's recruitment as slack as a baghouses gash, and CW been disruptive, maybe he decided to keep his bullets for a battle he can win, promotion 21/22.

Apart from Lingard, dont know any more names, but they would have been expensive, already looking forward to returning to their parent clubs in the summer, with no real care for the football club.

I just cant help but think, and I hope Im wrong, that CW disrupted the situation - anyone preciding over a team that bad would welcome a DoF over the sack.
As a Blade, surely CW would have been even more accommodating? The chance to put right the wrong, and step out into a full BDTBL again?
I realise that the penultimate line is what you think but surely most of what you say must be true?
Was Linguard ever coming? Some say yes and others say there was no way he would have come to us and that he had made that clear himself.
I am assuming that the other name was the guy from Preston. I had understood that he had intimated that he wasn't interested in us anyway. He went to Liverpool, and it has been pointed out that they had been interested in him for at least as long as we had.
It seems that the likelihood of either coming to the Lane was very remote.

In answer to the OP, yes I think some are.

My stance has mellowed tbf. I was angry over the weekend and was full of 'typical Blades' and 'always shooting ourselves in the foot'

Whilst I'm still gutted he's gone, I am willing to entertain the possibility he's gone out the back door, jumped in the life raft, and left us all to go down with the ship.

If CW wanted to stay at BDTBL he would still be here, no question.

I am not saying the Prince/Bettis didn't backtrack on certain issues but CW had form for throwing a strop every now and again so maybe they called his bluff this time and CW felt he had no option but to negotiate his way out? If reports are to be believed he had been trying to do this since December after the Palace game.

Whether Lingard and the Preston lad were lined up we will never know but personally I don't think Lingard was ever going to step foot in BDTBL unless it was for the opposition.

The DoF thing may be a smokescreen but personally I think there was definitely something in that following CW's not so impressive record in the transfer market, we spent over £100m and were still using the core of the team that we were in L1 and Championship.....maybe the Prince got fed up of sanctioning big money transfers only to see them flounder or sit on the bench, the money was definitely not spent wisely, bit like giving a tramp a tenner and asking him to spend it on a healthy meal and not fags and booze only to see him go straight into the offy.

If as some feel PA is only after a return on his money then we’re better in the PL it goes without saying. Clearly there’s a limit to what he can spend but I can’t see how it benefits him to see us spiral down the leagues.
I said at the time and will repeat when all the court case kicked off I’d have happily seen the back of both of them but it’s not a democracy we don’t get a vote so for me what happens next and where we are in 2-3 years time will be the ultimate test of whether the decisions, whoever made them, were right
I said at the time and will repeat when all the court case kicked off I’d have happily seen the back of both of them but it’s not a democracy we don’t get a vote so for me what happens next and where we are in 2-3 years time will be the ultimate test of whether the decisions, whoever made them, were right or wrong
I think we’ll know sooner...management appointment first test swiftly followed by player sales....contrary to Jim Phipps’ view there is no urgency to sell our best players to retain financial security in the Championship...that is the only benefit of paying the lowest PL wages.

Back
Top Bottom