Archer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd imagine there is a clause that says "fine, you keep him for whatever you've paid so far", I'd guess £4/5m.

Villa have just breached FFP, they might not be able to conclude the transaction
If that did end up being the case it would completely change the prospects for next season.

It would still need us needing to sell someone though I can well imagine the agent’s of Souza and Anel are on the blower already!

If that means we get to keep Archer on a generous loan deal next season win/win.
Archer in the Championship is a cheat code.
"Cheat code" is the worst analogy in football.

He's a good player who had a very hot streak with Boro (60%> of his shots on target were going in, unsustainable), who cooled off completely at just the wrong time for them

If that did end up being the case it would completely change the prospects for next season.

It would still need us needing to sell someone though I can well imagine the agent’s of Souza and Anel are on the blower already!
Whatever happens with Archer probably doesn't effect our financial requirements. This wasnever a profit/loss deal

Unless we overhaul the players , style and pace of play , he might as well come and sit in the south stand with me ! He'll see the ball more that way !
Do you believe we'd setup and play the same in the Championship as we are doing currently?
If so, why do you believe that?

Good luck with that 😂😂😂

Nail on the head.

Either way, he is guaranteed PL football next with Villa.

He is another one stinking the place with out his performances and lack of application.
I wouldn't say guaranteed PL football with Villa.
He may be employed by them, but he's nowhere near their current squad and that's before they invest in new players for a European Campaign.

Christ these guys are dim.

It was pretty clear from the off it was an obligation if we went down.

Either they’re thick as mince or they have a very optimistic outlook on our prospects for the remainder of the season!
I thought that, but the reference is Pete O'Rourke who's usually on the money with United.

I have been thinking for a while that there's a deal to be had, based on my quote above. He's got no chance of breaking into their first team currently.
I guess Archer and Villa expected him to have a good 15goal season in which case the deal looked perfect for everybody.
Getting relegated with just 4 goals and that deal looks shite from a Villa perspective.
I reckon we could see them cut their losses. Whether that's to united or someone else, who knows

"Cheat code" is the worst analogy in football.

He's a good player who had a very hot streak with Boro (60%> of his shots on target were going in, unsustainable), who cooled off completely at just the wrong time for them
No such thing as a 'cheat code' for us certainly, we could break the bank to get Haaland in and he'd fuck his cruciate 20 minutes into his debut and never score double figures in a season again

Villa seem to be under serious scrutiny for their financials so there could be a way a deal is done I guess
What would happen if they were under an embargo?(obviously very unlikely) Would the clause trump the PL rules?

Villa seem to be under serious scrutiny for their financials so there could be a way a deal is done I guess
What would happen if they were under an embargo?(obviously very unlikely) Would the clause trump the PL rules?

I suspect if there is a compulsory buy-back clause in the deal which is enforced upon our relegation that the PL are scrutinising this anyway....it is a glorified loan.

If Archer's 'He goes back if we go down' deal isn't set in stone he'd definitely be an asset if his head was right. I just worry that that his heart would be still in the Premier League at Villa.

I've posted this before but I've heard that we paid half up front with the other half to paid if we stay up. If we go down Villa have an obligation to buy him back for the half we paid plus 2m OR if Villa dont want him back we can keep him for the half we paid. But we can enforce the buy back .

So we either make 2m or we keep him for half of what his overall fee was meant to be. Not sure how much say the player has in this.
If/when he goes back United lose money rather than make profit - essentially a loan fee

I think, and I assume that as I have not seen the contract that I have no idea what it contains.

As this is an internet forum though.

Apparently McBurnie and Jebbison refusing new contracts though, so we will need some strike power.

If I was Archer I’d piss off from this club faster than shit off a shovel. I can see him going to a mid to lower half Premier side, Bournemouth or Brentford perhaps.

Maybe I'm the one who has read it wrong, but I thought the deal was this.

We bought the guy for £18m (or whatever) but if we were relegated Aston Villa would have the right to buy him back at some agreed price. But they don't have to.

For me the two players we should keep are Archer and McAtee, though I doubt that Man City would accept the £14 3 s and 4d we could pay for him. Oh and if you weren't around in the early 70s the £sd would mean nowt to you, sorry.

When wilder first came back he dropped a big hint that nobody fully understood the deal with Archer.

what we first thought was that he's was signed to the club with an agreed buy back for £18m on our relegation, I was first worried this would be seen at a later date as cheating in some way, making villa's FFP stuff look better somehow or getting around the maximum amount of loans we could have..

I've read today that Villa have an option to not take him back under any circumstances, OK it's on clickbait media but you never know..

Might have something to do with mcburnie now not accepting his deal ?

I'd be very happy with Archer in the championship..

Maybe I'm the one who has read it wrong, but I thought the deal was this.

We bought the guy for £18m (or whatever) but if we were relegated Aston Villa would have the right to buy him back at some agreed price. But they don't have to.

For me the two players we should keep are Archer and McAtee, though I doubt that Man City would accept the £14 3 s and 4d we could pay for him. Oh and if you weren't around in the early 70s the £sd would mean nowt to you, sorry.
I’m sure that’s wrong, and Villa are compelled to take him back.

I've always thought there'd be the possibility to keep him even if we go down. And his performance level this season perfectly allows for this

If there's any chance we can keep him on decent terms we need to commit to it as number one priority

If we have Archer, we'll have a promotion standard frontline. The rest can fall into place easily

Really hope we can keep Archer. He's a class Championship striker and potentially a PL striker. He probably needed one more season in the Championship but he's shown he can cause problems too in the PL.

Knowing united we'll probably sell him for a loss this pre season to a promotion rival!

The Archer deal is a money laundering scheme wrapped up in a football shirt. We go down, he goes back for the same price we paid.

Effectively a loan, but Villa can count it as a transfer income to help stave off FFP, for a player who wouldn’t be in their first 11. Clever accounting really.
There was, at initial signing, and has consistently been regular reporting and comment saying exactly that.
I’m not understanding what the epiphany is here?

I think the only new news is that potentially Villa are probably looking to move him on to help them out of a hole and I can see teams going up with deeper pockets than us willing to take the risk. Now, if the market truly isn’t interested in him and they can afford the by back on their books, then maybe a very low price deal could be done. Depends how much has already changed hands for the initial loan I guess and how deep that hole is. A couple of million probably isn’t going to help them out of it.

Last edited:
I've always thought there'd be the possibility to keep him even if we go down. And his performance level this season perfectly allows for this

If there's any chance we can keep him on decent terms we need to commit to it as number one priority

If we have Archer, we'll have a promotion standard frontline. The rest can fall into place easily
I don’t think we will keep him

I don’t think we will spend the money needed in wages plus I think the Prince will want whatever money he has spent - back .

I think Archer will want and will get Prem footie probably with one of the newly promoted teams

I think we will be scrabbling round for a couple of cheap , on loan forwards . I think Jebbison and Macburnie will go and the owner will again be hacking his cost base to the minimum

There is no hope whatsoever of any progression or building for the future with this owner - imo

I hope I am totally wrong

I don’t think we will keep him

I don’t think we will spend the money needed in wages plus I think the Prince will want whatever money he has spent - back .

I think Archer will want and will get Prem footie probably with one of the newly promoted teams

I think we will be scrabbling round for a couple of cheap , on loan forwards . I think Jebbison and Macburnie will go and the owner will again be hacking his cost base to the minimum

There is no hope whatsoever of any progression or building for the future with this owner - imo

I hope I am totally wrong
If we don’t invest next season then it could well be a third division club he’s trying to offload.

He might be “tight”, but I hope and don’t think he’s that daft.

Back
Top Bottom