Approach to the Liverpool game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No doubt it'll be sit back and defend and play hoofball with mcburnie then wait for wilder to say 'it was a tight game'

Doubt it we don't have any fit CB's apart from Jags.

No choice but to attack in this game.

Put the U-23s out

It's a no-lose situation. The kids get a taste of playing in the PL against the current Champions, and when we lose 10-0 we can say "well of course, we put the kids out!"

Hoof it long, move the ball backwards, have no touches in the liverpool box and lose 1 - 0.

you know what, lets fuckin go for it - hardly likely to affect the season outcome, but i would play to their weaknesses, and stick McB, Burke & Brewster on
their young defenders are technically good, obviously, but they will shit a brick at the sight of them 3 (if thats possible)

i would rather go down 0-3 having had a go and the lads all out of juice, than sit back, give them 80% possession and loose 0-1 to a daisy cutter Rammers dives over

Shit a brick at the prospect of playing against an attacking 3 who have amassed a grand total of 3 goals between them in the entire season so far ?

:)

We have to play with as much pace in the side as possible: Burke, Brewster, Osborn, Bogle (is he injured?) to hit them on the break. Unfortunately if we play a high line we'll get murdered with Jags at the back. The same with a back four. Pace is the only chance we have of not reprising the Fulham game or opening up and getting a pasting imo.

Everybody behind the ball, including our strikers

Get an occasional touch and immediately launch it forward to nobody

Slag the forward off for not being there

Gather, regroup, get into defensive positions, get another touch and immediately launch it forward to nobody

Slag the forward off for not being there

Gather, regroup, concede

Game over

Hate to say it but McB needs to start in this one. He'll have a field day in the air with their current defensive frailties.

Absolutely. Just tell him to go out there and cause mayhem. Don't give their defence a moments peace.

Don't let's go into any game 'waving the white flag'.

It'll upset Klopp.

Most of these have players who aren’t available. Where possible, I say don’t pick anyone who won’t be here next season. So:

Ramsdale
Ampadu Jagielka Bryan
Baldock (Lundstram) Norwood Fleck Lowe
McGoldrick (Anyone)

Where (Lundstram) could and probably should be swapped for one of the kids, or Osborn.
Ampadu is on loan so wont be here next season

I was also thinking this sort of thing.

Play the ball, not the bowler.

Yes, Liverpool are a powerful football clubs with great history and defending Champions and quite frankly all that bollocks.

But they arrive at Bramall Lane in poor form, with a central defence to be got at, with a midfield that is lacking dynamism and an excellent forward line.

We meanwhile are down to almost no options in defence if we are to keep the same formation, which if going by what we know of Chris, we will do.

So sitting back playing it cagey is just inviting a team that is perhaps questioning itself to play themselves into form.

It's seldom we can have a right to at a big team, but this in my view is that time.

For a the talk of injuries, we cna pick last season's first choice midfield.

With the exception of Mousset, we can pick whatever forward line we want.

Aim surely has to be to keep the ball away from the defence as much as we can.

I'd be looking to attack TAA because he is not by any means a good defender.

My team:

Ramsdale
Baldock Jags Ampadu
Bogle Lundstram Norwood Fleck Osborn
McGoldrick Burke

Toss of a coin on Bryan or Baldock but Ampadu had been doing ok there and Baldock is a very good out and out one on one defender. It's not as if the Liverpool forwards are big. Though Bryan can add an aerial threat.

I'd also like to see Baldock there as Ampadu is unavailable for Chelsea. Bryan an obvious one to come in for him at LCB but we then need na option at RCB. We should have a go in the cup and I'd like to think we can plan for that rather than throwing something together last minute.
Back 3 for the cup of Ampadu, Jags and JOC ?

Wilder has a habit of picking the team that will most upset the fans so i'm predicting:

McBurnie
McBurnie McBurnie McBurnie McBurnie McBurnie
McBurnie McBurnie McBurnie
McBurnie McBurnie

Struggling to force myself to watch to be honest.

With Bogle confirmed out, its hard to imagine us doing anything but parking the bus and hoofing it long for 90 mins.

(Ok i will probably watch, but whether i last the full 90 minutes.. not so sure)

Again, we need to change the whole setup. Outnumbered and overran in midfield, powerless to supply the front

It needs to change from a possible (under Wilder)

-------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale-------------------------------------------------------

Baldock----------------------Ampadu----------------Jagkielka----------------Bryan-------------------------Stevens

-----------------------Lundstram---------------------Norwood-----------------------Fleck---------------------------

-------------------------------------McGoldrick---------------------Sharp---------------------------------------------

to either

--------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale-------------------------------------------------------

-------Baldock------------------------Jagielka----------------------Bryan----------------------------Stevens---------

-------------------------------------------------------Ampadu---------------------------------------------------------

-----------------Bogle------------------------------------------------------------------------Osborn------------------

-----------------------------------------------------McGoldrick--------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Burke--------------------------------Brewster--------------------------------------

or

--------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale--------------------------------------------------------

-------Baldock------------------------Jagielka----------------------Bryan----------------------------Stevens---------

--------Bogle-------------------------Ampadu---------------------Fleck-----------------------------Osborn----------

-------------------------------------------------------McGoldrick-------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------Burke----------------------------------------------------------

We need to break out of this pretend 3-5-2 mindset (which for much of the game is in fact 5-3-2 or even 8-2 and pack the midfield out. McGoldrick is the key for the lock in both instances with Burke's pace against the defence

pommpey
Do like the second line up, Ampadu sat in front of the back four, with the McGoldrick link centrally. It also gets rid of the out of form players, although some would be needed as subs with maybe younger 'unblooded' players completing the numbers.
Third choice, plan B but same players as plan 2.

Attack...attack...attack attack attack

Rather lose 7-4 than 0-2.

The remainder of the season is likely to be dull with the inevitable waiting to pop it's head around the door.

Not sure a couple of heavy defeats will have much impact now one way or the other.

We need to start developing a front foot approach for next season even though we obviously expect some new faces by then.

people say that but I don't believe them.

I'll make a prediction....we play open expansive entertaining football against Liverpool creating loads of chances but we lose 4-1.

You can bet very few will be interested in our positive approach.
In fact many will say Wilder is tactical naive and we should never be too positive against Liverpool when they are such a good counter attacking side.

I suppose the real answer is to choose some middle ground....open up slightly....being more attack minded but still weary of defensive duties.

people say that but I don't believe them.

I'll make a prediction....we play open expansive entertaining football against Liverpool creating loads of chances but we lose 4-1.

You can bet very few will be interested in our positive approach.
In fact many will say Wilder is tactical naive and we should never be too positive against Liverpool when they are such a good counter attacking side.

I suppose the real answer is to choose some middle ground....open up slightly....being more attack minded but still weary of defensive duties.
Some will always find room for criticism whatever we do if we don't win.

The above is just my opinion at this stage.

I wouldn't have the same view if we were in with a good shout of staying up.

My approach to the game, will be through the front door, removing my shoes, I will walk along the the hall turning right at the end, into the livingroom, I will then turn on the tv.
Exiting the livingroom and moving straight across the hall, I enter the kitchen, where I will enter the refrigerator and probably grab 2 or 3 bottles of Annings Cider, before returning to the livingroom, parking my arse on the sofa, and sitting back to watch us get mullered by the current prem champs.

I have a growing concern that Klopp will want to beat us by as many goals as possible after his spat with Wilder. Let's be honest, Liverpool have zero centrebacks but if they actively go at us we could be in real trouble.

I know it's probably this unexpected sunshine making me wildly optimistic but I've been thinking about all these absurd injuries and small things going against us and I can't help thinking about this...

😅

Attachments

• 20210227_151717.png
    20210227_151717.png
    827.5 KB · Views: 14

Use the Liverpool game as a practice sessions for the young lads. Put all our eggs in the Chelsea/FA Cup basket.

Back
Top Bottom