Approach to the Liverpool game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ShropsBlade

Reaction score
So I know our defence is obliterated by injury.But Liverpool are in the same boat also and aren’t scoring many at all.Do we really want to sit back and lose one or 2 nil yet again or perhaps worse with our three ever present centre backs injured.Or do we finally try something new against a team who are also in crisis and be less predictable.And I think we really should try out the closest team to our predicted championship side next season.Brewster will have something to prove and if lundstrum isn’t staying then get someone else in the middle of the park even if it’s a youngster.

I was also thinking this sort of thing.

Play the ball, not the bowler.

Yes, Liverpool are a powerful football clubs with great history and defending Champions and quite frankly all that bollocks.

But they arrive at Bramall Lane in poor form, with a central defence to be got at, with a midfield that is lacking dynamism and an excellent forward line.

We meanwhile are down to almost no options in defence if we are to keep the same formation, which if going by what we know of Chris, we will do.

So sitting back playing it cagey is just inviting a team that is perhaps questioning itself to play themselves into form.

It's seldom we can have a right to at a big team, but this in my view is that time.

For a the talk of injuries, we cna pick last season's first choice midfield.

With the exception of Mousset, we can pick whatever forward line we want.

Aim surely has to be to keep the ball away from the defence as much as we can.

I'd be looking to attack TAA because he is not by any means a good defender.

My team:

Ramsdale
Baldock Jags Ampadu
Bogle Lundstram Norwood Fleck Osborn
McGoldrick Burke

Toss of a coin on Bryan or Baldock but Ampadu had been doing ok there and Baldock is a very good out and out one on one defender. It's not as if the Liverpool forwards are big. Though Bryan can add an aerial threat.

I'd also like to see Baldock there as Ampadu is unavailable for Chelsea. Bryan an obvious one to come in for him at LCB but we then need na option at RCB. We should have a go in the cup and I'd like to think we can plan for that rather than throwing something together last minute.

So I know our defence is obliterated by injury.But Liverpool are in the same boat also and aren’t scoring many at all.Do we really want to sit back and lose one or 2 nil yet again or perhaps worse with our three ever present centre backs injured.Or do we finally try something new against a team who are also in crisis and be less predictable.And I think we really should try out the closest team to our predicted championship side next season.Brewster will have something to prove and if lundstrum isn’t staying then get someone else in the middle of the park even if it’s a youngster.

Again, we need to change the whole setup. Outnumbered and overran in midfield, powerless to supply the front

It needs to change from a possible (under Wilder)

-------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale-------------------------------------------------------

Baldock----------------------Ampadu----------------Jagkielka----------------Bryan-------------------------Stevens

-----------------------Lundstram---------------------Norwood-----------------------Fleck---------------------------

-------------------------------------McGoldrick---------------------Sharp---------------------------------------------

to either

--------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale-------------------------------------------------------

-------Baldock------------------------Jagielka----------------------Bryan----------------------------Stevens---------

-------------------------------------------------------Ampadu---------------------------------------------------------

-----------------Bogle------------------------------------------------------------------------Osborn------------------

-----------------------------------------------------McGoldrick--------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Burke--------------------------------Brewster--------------------------------------

or

--------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale--------------------------------------------------------

-------Baldock------------------------Jagielka----------------------Bryan----------------------------Stevens---------

--------Bogle-------------------------Ampadu---------------------Fleck-----------------------------Osborn----------

-------------------------------------------------------McGoldrick-------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------Burke----------------------------------------------------------

We need to break out of this pretend 3-5-2 mindset (which for much of the game is in fact 5-3-2 or even 8-2 and pack the midfield out. McGoldrick is the key for the lock in both instances with Burke's pace against the defence

pommpey

Again, we need to change the whole setup. Outnumbered and overran in midfield, powerless to supply the front

-------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale-------------------------------------------------------

Baldock----------------------Ampadu----------------Jagkielka----------------Bryan-------------------------Stevens

-----------------------Lundstram---------------------Norwood-----------------------Fleck---------------------------

-------------------------------------McGoldrick---------------------Sharp---------------------------------------------

to either

--------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale-------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------Ampadu---------------------------------------------------------

-----------------Bogle------------------------------------------------------------------------Osborn------------------

-----------------------------------------------------McGoldrick--------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Burke--------------------------------Brewster--------------------------------------

or

--------------------------------------------------------Ramsdale--------------------------------------------------------

--------Bogle-------------------------Ampadu---------------------Fleck-----------------------------Osborn----------

-------------------------------------------------------McGoldrick-------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------Burke----------------------------------------------------------

We need to break out of this pretend 3-5-2 mindset (which for much of the game is in fact 5-3-2 or even 8-2 and pack the midfield out. McGoldrick is the key for the lock in both instances with Burke's pace against the defence

pommpey
Stevens should not be in the team

Try and replicate what we did at Old Trafford as best we can, cross fingers and hope for the best

Norwood and Lundstram should be dropped from the squad from now till the end of the season.
Bogle, Ampadu or Osborne would bring so much more protection and dynamism in there. Nothing to lose now and we may just pull off a win.

Skip the players , employ a brickie and brick up the goal !

Most of these have players who aren’t available. Where possible, I say don’t pick anyone who won’t be here next season. So:

Ramsdale
Ampadu Jagielka Bryan
Baldock (Lundstram) Norwood Fleck Lowe
McGoldrick (Anyone)

Where (Lundstram) could and probably should be swapped for one of the kids, or Osborn.

Firstly I’m reminded of Graeme Souness when they lost 7 - 2 to Villa - Don’t cut the grass.

No point sitting back, that game last week made me want to stop watching until this seasons over. We should press them relentlessly So I would like to see something like:

Ramsdale
Baldock Jags Ampadu Osborn
Bogle Norwood Fleck Burke
McBurnie/Billy McGoldrick

If we didn’t try and score against Fulham for the first 70 minutes - zero chance we get out on the front foot in this one, especially with the injuries.

to either

or

pommpey

With some minor tinkering I’d be more than happy with the first alternative and you’re right , it’s time we ended the pretence that we play 3-5-2 anymore . It’s 5-1-2 ———2 and results in the mind numbingly tedious and hopelessly ineffective performances we’ve been subjected to for almost the entire season .

With some minor tinkering I’d be more than happy with the first alternative and you’re right , it’s time we ended the pretence that we play 3-5-2 anymore . It’s 5-1-2 ———2 and results in the mind numbingly tedious and hopelessly ineffective performances we’ve been subjected to for almost the entire season .

Five at the back gives us nothing. It just invites us to play defensive and underpowers the midfield who in turn aren't PL standard anyway. How we hope to gain and retain possession and win battles is anyone's guess. When we lose possession it's almost as if we are set up so that the next time we regain possession it will be our shaky goalkeepers hands. And we know how that turns out most of the time.

pommpey

Bogle and bash sadly passed away this morning. They shall rise again at Easter though, so please, no candle light vigils.

Norwood and Lundstram should be dropped from the squad from now till the end of the season.
Bogle, Ampadu or Osborne would bring so much more protection and dynamism in there. Nothing to lose now and we may just pull off a win.
Lundstram should be dropped from Lovers Leap at Stoney Middleton, as for the game we've nothing to lose and everything to gain go for it, shit or bust I'd sooner go down fighting than like a limp lettuce.

you know what, lets fuckin go for it - hardly likely to affect the season outcome, but i would play to their weaknesses, and stick McB, Burke & Brewster on
their young defenders are technically good, obviously, but they will shit a brick at the sight of them 3 (if thats possible)

i would rather go down 0-3 having had a go and the lads all out of juice, than sit back, give them 80% possession and loose 0-1 to a daisy cutter Rammers dives over

I was also thinking this sort of thing.

Play the ball, not the bowler.

Yes, Liverpool are a powerful football clubs with great history and defending Champions and quite frankly all that bollocks.

But they arrive at Bramall Lane in poor form, with a central defence to be got at, with a midfield that is lacking dynamism and an excellent forward line.

We meanwhile are down to almost no options in defence if we are to keep the same formation, which if going by what we know of Chris, we will do.

So sitting back playing it cagey is just inviting a team that is perhaps questioning itself to play themselves into form.

It's seldom we can have a right to at a big team, but this in my view is that time.

For a the talk of injuries, we cna pick last season's first choice midfield.

With the exception of Mousset, we can pick whatever forward line we want.

Aim surely has to be to keep the ball away from the defence as much as we can.

I'd be looking to attack TAA because he is not by any means a good defender.

My team:

Ramsdale
Baldock Jags Ampadu
Bogle Lundstram Norwood Fleck Osborn
McGoldrick Burke

Toss of a coin on Bryan or Baldock but Ampadu had been doing ok there and Baldock is a very good out and out one on one defender. It's not as if the Liverpool forwards are big. Though Bryan can add an aerial threat.

I'd also like to see Baldock there as Ampadu is unavailable for Chelsea. Bryan an obvious one to come in for him at LCB but we then need na option at RCB. We should have a go in the cup and I'd like to think we can plan for that rather than throwing something together last minute.

The thing is Liverpool could be looking at us and thinking exactly the same as you are... what better opportunity for the likes of Salah Mane and Firmino to get firing again.

And assuming they do, it must be time to start Burke to try and expose any gaps left at the back.

Most of these have players who aren’t available. Where possible, I say don’t pick anyone who won’t be here next season. So:

Ramsdale
Ampadu Jagielka Bryan
Baldock (Lundstram) Norwood Fleck Lowe
McGoldrick (Anyone)

Where (Lundstram) could and probably should be swapped for one of the kids, or Osborn.

Ampadu, Bryan and Lundstram... as it stands all three of them won't be here next season

Ramsdale
Baldock Jagielka Stevens
Bogle Norwood Fleck Osborn
McGoldrick
Brewster Burke

Attack...attack...attack attack attack

Rather lose 7-4 than 0-2.

The remainder of the season is likely to be dull with the inevitable waiting to pop it's head around the door.

Not sure a couple of heavy defeats will have much impact now one way or the other.

We need to start developing a front foot approach for next season even though we obviously expect some new faces by then.

Back
Top Bottom