Anybody trapped in the Leppings Lane bottleneck?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SYP are utter utter cunts from top to bottom. Corrupt, inept probably ,deliberately provocative and definitely not fit for purpose.
I hope that cunt Duckenfield get s destroyed in court along with that pig cunt Mackrel.
Every football fan in South York's should contact the PCC and denounce the bastards.
They deserve a good kicking. They're happy to administer one or idly stand by and see one happen
Utter scum the lot of the bastards.

What did you reply?

I parked on Far Lane and walked to the ground with my wife. I’m a past-middle aged bloke and I have a younger “trophy” wife who, surprisingly perhaps, is not of Thai origin.

We were gaining pace on two blokes in front of us and they stood aside to let us pass. One said to me, “Are you Wednesday?” and I said “no”. I was waiting for the reaction...they were Blades fortunately. Otherwise I may have had to perform origami on them in self-defence.

I'd be very interested as to where you purchased said trophy non Thai bride. Please DM me.
Asking for a dear friend.

I really think this needs to be escalated to the national media to get the coverage it deserves, SYP's policing of this fixture year-on-year is overzealous, incompetent and it's putting the supporters in real danger every time we play. That is totally unacceptable for a police force with the country's worst ever football stadium disaster on their record (and the third biggest ever in the world)

They appear to invent some new method of policing the fans at every Derby now. We have played Wednesday well over 100 times in our history. It is flabbergasting and amazing that they're yet to have a single, unified approach to policing this fixture after all this time.

How many different methods have we seen? Only in the last few derbies I've seen a huge metal barrier on Bramall Lane (overzealous and unnecessary), a police cordon directing Wednesday fans directly onto the corner of Bramall Lane and John Street (which led to fucking chaos), closing down every single pub on London Road and therefore directing every fan into town instead (chaos), stopping trams for over 30 minutes without reason or explanation (chaos), kettling United fans to ensure hundreds of them missed the start of the game (disgustingly incompetent), kettling hundreds of United fans on London Road and causing a huge escalation in tension, kettling hundreds of Blades outside the exit to the away end and not letting them move whilst they were being pelted with bottles and fireworks (reaching new, spectacular levels of incompetence)

Words actually fail me. I just cannot believe that other derbies suffer from levels of policing that are as shocking as this. I cannot believe that other police forcea don't have a standard set of rules and procedures on Derby day for entering the ground, leaving the ground and keeping the fans separated. How many other forces would deem it necessary to erect 10-foot tall metal barriers on every single road in a 1-mile radius of the ground?

Here's a crazy idea. When away fans buy tickets for these games, make it abundantly clear to them before purchasing and before the game that they will be kept in the ground for 30-60 minutes after the game. Don't let them out and wait for the crowds to disperse. Surely, surely this would solve almost all of the problems we see on the day?

An idea, maybe not a good one.... As they seem intent on having some sort of meeting with supporters to find out how crap they are why don't they send a few coppers to the derbies as away fans incognito with strict instructions to not reveal that they are coppers to other coppers. Let them witness the other side of it; feel the crush before in that deathtrap of a concourse, dodge a few fireworks, get a batton in the back for not moving on, squeeze on a tram or walk back to town being hounded by home fans while never seeing a copper on the way.

Probably a crap idea and would probably be completely misreported like that utter drivel they put out as a statement today but maybe just maybe it would be treated seriously and conducted by someone with a bit of morals... In the SYP.

Feel free to tell me it's a crap idea, I'm not convinced by it.

In Star Online from Danny:
Sheffield Derby: South Yorkshire Police chief pledges review of tactics used for Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United clash after they were slammed by both Blades and Owls

Shaun Morley, the chief superintendent of South Yorkshire Police, has promised a “full review” of his force's tactics at the Sheffield Derby last night...

A 'full review', eh? Where bullshit like 'lessons have been learned' will be spouted and Morley will be earmarked for his Knighthood.
Gold commanders are often there by virtue of their rank (Chief Superintendent usually) and may have come from a different policing route ie: CID. They have to pass a course and become accredited but if they haven’t worked in that area, their actual experience can be minimal.

This is how you get to the top in the police. 'Sir' :rolleyes: Craig Mackey - the one with all the medals and 'scrambled egg' - saw possible trouble approaching in Westminster in October last year, locked himself in his car and hid. Resign? Don't make me laugh. He 'retired' last December, no doubt on full pension. A shoo-in for the House of Lords.

mackey.jpg

SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE WHEN POLICING FOOTBALL..

Don't hold your breath. I've been going to football for decades and the police are usually the problem, not the solution. I was caught behind the Leppings Lane end in a pigs v Newcastle game in the 80s and it was a miracle nobody died. A few years later (1989), they did.

Given that the stand is a known death trap, SYP were utterly complicit in the scenes last Monday.

Last season's fiasco at Hillsborough when Blades fans were kept on the tram was reported to some Football Supporters Association / Group.

Pretty sure that SYP invited representatives of that Association to accompany the police for the return visit at the Lane in January 2018.

Can't say I ever saw any report of their findings if they did actually take up the offer.

It's amazing that we are still having these conversations.

This is the police force that watched a group of Millwall of about 25 plus show off on the away end at the Lane, including abusing the disabled section, leave the ground 5 minutes early. They then walked unopposed up a side street of Bramall Lane and throw missiles at ordinary fans leaving the game. People including myself and 4 year old son at the time had to duck behind vehicles to avoid being hit.

Not a copper in sight 2 minutes from the ground.

When challenged about at an FSF meeting shortly afterwards, SYP reckoned they knew nothing about it.

Tell me how everything about that doesn't make you smell a rat.

Maybe the Spar at the BP garage had something to say about 'SYP knowing nothing'? The Millwall fans nicked a load of booze and walked out unopposed.

I blame 'the savage Tory cuts'...

Again, not the first time this season, I had Blades behind me in the ground questioning my loyalty & credentials because I was not baying how much I hate the piggy bastards for the full 90+. The continued, Top Trumps, I've hated them longer than you, posturing fuels an odd atmosphere. Fans on both sides seem intent on proving it's the bitterest rivalry in world football. The ramping up of all that nonsense is comical at times. Of course, none of that excuses random acts of indiscriminate bollocks like chucking coins & rocks into a captive crowd including innocents. But, I'm sick of being singled out in away ends for not apparently hating the opposition enough. Frankly, the Blade behind me was trying to bully me. He couldn't vent his made up hatred of the pigs on the pigs, so he chose me.

Again, not the first time this season, I had Blades behind me in the ground questioning my loyalty & credentials because I was not baying how much I hate the piggy bastards for the full 90+. The continued, Top Trumps, I've hated them longer than you, posturing fuels an odd atmosphere. Fans on both sides seem intent on proving it's the bitterest rivalry in world football. The ramping up of all that nonsense is comical at times. Of course, none of that excuses random acts of indiscriminate bollocks like chucking coins & rocks into a captive crowd including innocents. But, I'm sick of being singled out in away ends for not apparently hating the opposition enough. Frankly, the Blade behind me was trying to bully me. He couldn't vent his made up hatred of the pigs on the pigs, so he chose me.

I'm a few years behind you, but sadly the time when your own were your own seems long gone.

We sing far too much about them for my tastes this season too (obviously Monday was a different animal). They are an insignificance to our achievements this season.

I'm a few years behind you, but sadly the time when your own were your own seems long gone.

To this point, and it's been mentioned already with JimW1889, but that Leicester FA Cup game was a prime example. 7.45pm kick-off, Friday night. We probably got to the ground at around 7.30pm. There was a long queue to get in. The checks were over-zealous. They were doing the full pat-down and thoroughly checking bags, hence the delay. Police horses were in the area too. Anyway, I'd kind of resolved this with 'whatever' and figured we'd probably get into the ground around kick-off time anyway. Then as we reach 7.40pm, a tonne of pissed-up Blades fans arrive. Obviously they can tell there's no way they're getting in for kick-off time. So here comes the crush. My Mrs is pretty much 5'2''. We start getting shoved from behind towards the railings and police horses, and I can pretty much see the blokes who are doing it. I shout backwards asking people to stop. They don't. Even worse is one of the blokes ends up to my left, right behind my Mrs, who's half the size of him, and he absolutely launches into her to try and push people forward. Fortunately, because this is entirely self-created by Blades (made worse by over-zealous checks and the presence of police horses which spooked people) I could nip around, grab my Mrs and just drag us away. There was no bottle-neck and room to escape. Had there not been, it's a different story.

Point is, a lot of football fans are a different animal (kindest thing I can say). I genuinely don't feel that any are worse than the other. There are teams like Millwall who will be worse on big days out, but only because those matches attract non-fans who are up for a fight. Police need to be able to plan for this element - Christ, they've had long enough to work it out - and come up with a plan to avoid it. I've been to Millwall away god knows how many times and it's always been policed very, very well. SYP have no excuse.

How on earth do other derby game up and down the country manage with a single line of stewards for segregation? Some derby attendances are double what ours are.

Can you imagine that at our derbies? - It would be absolute carnage :(

I can only assume that there is something wrong with the water up these parts and it must be piped in from the river Don.

The barriers cause more problems than they solve for me ...they are like a magnet for the chavs to congregate and throw stuff over...i bet there wouldn't be anything thrown without something to hide behind,and fewer would bother as they wouldn't have the safety of a barrier to hide behind...a lot of the crowd would have despersed more easily, and the Police could deal with anybody trying to cause problems while everyone else moves on.
It always seems that SYP want it to kick off to justify them being there,but nothing will be done..oh yeah,a review has been set up by themselves to review themselves.

Have you thought about trying cognitive therapy Phil to help you manage your problems by changing the way you behave in these situations? It might help to get your hatred of the pigs out in the open and will satisfy the other idiots that you just as big a Blade as them.
Just trying to be helpful.

Have you thought about trying cognitive therapy Phil to help you manage your problems by changing the way you behave in these situations? It might help to get your hatred of the pigs out in the open and will satisfy the other idiots that you just as big a Blade as them.
Just trying to be helpful.
I listened to matey boy chuntering behind me, left at the whistle, climbed on the coach without seeing any mither, then, on the coach, had a minor misunderstanding with Furphy over how long we'd held out on the East Bank in 1971 & which bit we needed to be in to really claim we took it. That was enough therapy thank you.....
But, matey behind won't have it that "I'm a Blade .."

F F S were there any Pigs on the Kop that day? We were all in the middle, no problem all day.

F F S were there any Pigs on the Kop that day? We were all in the middle, no problem all day.
Oh yeah. Nice try Tony Your generation just don't get it Grandad. Were you screaming "fat piggy bastard" and making throat cutting gestures? Were you pointing towards Penistone Rd & shouting "outside, now then, grunter"? I suggest not. I doubt you've ever had any mates, but were you rattling on to one about how much you "hate the snortbeasts"? And, while we're at it, what were you even doing on the East Bank? No proper Blade would willingly put himself that close to the dirty, unclean, truffle hunters - knowing they wouldn't be able to cheer when Grummitt (was it?) saved at Gil Reece's feet, as they'd be surrounded by piggy grunter hunters (or similar insult).
I bet all you did was turn up at the ground, bob on the East Bank, stand in the middle, knowing full well that Wednesday would have a dig in somewhere & loudly support your team from the middle of the other team's end. Oh dear. That is not how it's done now, 2019, old boy. You. Know. Nowt. Call yourself a Blade?

Oh yeah. Nice try Tony Your generation just don't get it Grandad. Were you screaming "fat piggy bastard" and making throat cutting gestures? Were you pointing towards Penistone Rd & shouting "outside, now then, grunter"? I suggest not. I doubt you've ever had any mates, but were you rattling on to one about how much you "hate the snortbeasts"? And, while we're at it, what were you even doing on the East Bank? No proper Blade would willingly put himself that close to the dirty, unclean, truffle hunters - knowing they wouldn't be able to cheer when Grummitt (was it?) saved at Gil Reece's feet, as they'd be surrounded by piggy grunter hunters (or similar insult).
I bet all you did was turn up at the ground, bob on the East Bank, stand in the middle, knowing full well that Wednesday would have a dig in somewhere & loudly support your team from the middle of the other team's end. Oh dear. That is not how it's done now, 2019, old boy. You. Know. Nowt. Call yourself a Blade?

Well said.

The same thing happened to me on our Kop a few years ago - the game where James Beattie equalised with a direct free kick late on - when, for reasons too complicated to explain, I sat in an area away from my usual. A group of lowlifes directly behind me decided I was potentially a closet Wednesdayite and I got jostled and shoved several times during the match. The irony was that they were singing the “because of Boxing Day” song while giving grief to someone who was actually there (and who still carries the psychological scars).

This competitive “I hate Wednesday more than you do so I’m a bigger Blade” mindset is pathetic and sickening. As I have said before, I don’t hate them, never have, never will. I don’t call them pigs, never have, never will. I love beating them, always have, always will. But that’s as far as it goes.

Maybe the Spar at the BP garage had something to say about 'SYP knowing nothing'? The Millwall fans nicked a load of booze and walked out unopposed.

I blame 'the savage Tory cuts'...

Also happened at the Spar near the station after the game. SYP just stood and watched.

Well said.

The same thing happened to me on our Kop a few years ago - the game where James Beattie equalised with a direct free kick late on - when, for reasons too complicated to explain, I sat in an area away from my usual. A group of lowlifes directly behind me decided I was potentially a closet Wednesdayite and I got jostled and shoved several times during the match. The irony was that they were singing the “because of Boxing Day” song while giving grief to someone who was actually there (and who still carries the psychological scars).

This competitive “I hate Wednesday more than you do so I’m a bigger Blade” mindset is pathetic and sickening. As I have said before, I don’t hate them, never have, never will. I don’t call them pigs, never have, never will. I love beating them, always have, always will. But that’s as far as it goes.
FOTH
;)

Well said.

That is the only derby game I have been to when I was genuinely worried for my safety, not worried about pig fans more worried about some of our own fans who were full of ale, coke and hatred and were ready to kick off with anyone. Some of the stewards on the kop took a real beating that night, then it kicked off at the side of us United fans fighting between themselves. I also remember it getting a bit tasty at Wembley in the semi final V Hull again fighting amongst ourselves.

Freedom of information request to SYP may be interesting...

1. What experience of policing football has the Gold Commander had?
2. When did he pass his Public Order commanders course?
3. Was he Public Order trained as a junior officer?
4. Has he kept up his public order qualification and associated fitness test since promotion?
5. When did he pass his policing major events course?
6. Does he attend matches as a fan?
Etc

Gold commanders are often there by virtue of their rank (Chief Superintendent usually) and may have come from a different policing route ie: CID. They have to pass a course and become accredited but if they haven’t worked in that area, their actual experience can be minimal.

However, the biggest gap is in the common sense and awareness view of a football fan. Normally, those who have been around a bit know when it’s likely to kick off. It seems last night there was no contingency planning for removing people placed at risk. Most senior coppers are blinkered, just follow rules and don’t have sufficient situational awareness of the football environment that we pay them to police...

A policy file will be held and decisions such as not holding back Blades, pathetic fencing, not closing access to pigs should all be recorded. Again a suitably worded FOI request could ask for such information. They may hide behind not disclosing operational tactics, but if it was worded correctly should yield information.

1. What risk assessment was prepared for the simultaneous release of both sets of supporters?
2. Why was LL not closed off?
3. What was the plan to evacuate vulnerable people brought into violent situations?
Etc etc

I certainly think those hurt should ask.

Other route is to make a complaint that police/pig tactics led to injury at a high risk event where such risk could have been averted. Copy anything to the PCC’s office and the IOPC.

SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE WHEN POLICING FOOTBALL..

UTB

If you're considering putting a FOI request in, they would probably refuse this based on the fact that it infringes the data protection act for personal data. Also, it has to be specific information that the public body holds, for instance minutes from meetings, emails, policies and procedures.

I'm not knocking you as I think they're all valid questions, I put an FOI request as follows:

- Your justification for the implementation of this policy and whether any other matters other than football related violence were part of the decision making process
- The number of incidents, arrests and convictions that occured inside either football stadium in Sheffield for derby games in the last 10 years.
- Any correspondence between SYP, the Sheffield SAG and both SWFC and SUFC regarding the match on 9th November
- Meeting minutes where ticketing policy was discussed
- Any documentation where a decision regarding ticketing policy for this game is discussed
- Any other documentation held by SYP relating to the restriction of ticket sales for this match.

They refused it saying they weren't involved in decisions and then when I asked for a review they said that it would take too long to compile (the FOI act gives an exemption for if something would take (i.e. cost) too long to compile. I said to just give me whatevcer they could up to the limit and they just fobbed me off so it's with the ICO now.

SYP are not exactly renowned for being transparent.

That is the only derby game I have been to when I was genuinely worried for my safety, not worried about pig fans more worried about some of our own fans who were full of ale, coke and hatred and were ready to kick off with anyone. Some of the stewards on the kop took a real beating that night, then it kicked off at the side of us United fans fighting between themselves. I also remember it getting a bit tasty at Wembley in the semi final V Hull again fighting amongst ourselves.

There were quite a lot of fights among blades at the semi, combo of early start, too much ale / coke, disappointment of losing and not sitting with usual people. The big fight on the top tier was one of the worst ones at the new wembley, went on for a while and i remember vividly seeing a lad jump a couple of rows to volley someone in the head! I blame Brayford for needlessly conceding the corner that prompted Hull's comeback! In all honesty that big fight was started by a bloke screaming in the face of a young blade (must have been about 5 year old) who kept tapping the back of his chair. A neutral pulled him on it and that was that!

Back
Top Bottom