Anybody trapped in the Leppings Lane bottleneck?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The huge accident happened 30 years ago. It's the fact that, despite being slammed from pillar to post ever since the findings of the enquiry were published, SYP and SWFC have learnt ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING about how to manage a large crowd at that shithole of a stadium. Our local rag, indeed the national press, should be all over this. One is not holding one's breath.
I think the match commander must be David Duckinfields brother
Amazing, you don't see pigs all day, town full of Blades, until they're behind a cordon of police and can do what they want. Another bad day for S Y P. Think their boss gas to go.
Yes agree that the match commander or whoever runs these fiascos should be sacked - he obviously went to the David Duckinfield school of match control

Just been to McDonald's on High Street (home of the machete attack).

I'm not a regular visitor to such establishments but needs must.

What I've just witnessed sums up today's policing.

Whilst waiting for my food a woman said this man has been racist. A doddery old bloke denied he'd said anything, and an African lady working there said he'd been nasty. A bloke close by said he'd made a comment about people where you come from.

Within a matter of minutes a copper appeared and was given a description of the bloke who had left.

I then watched said copper start arguing with a wino outside about dropping litter. When he refused the copper got his notebook out and then tried to take his picture on his mobile. The wino put his hood up and tried to walk away.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the excellent work and priorities of SYP.

Get burgled? Fuck off we might come tomorrow if we've nothing else on.

80 year old bloke makes inappropriate possibly racist remark and we'll be there in minutes, and then book a homeless wino for dropping a bit of paper.
Its a valid point - they complain about shortages and then do stupid things like that. They had 300 police at the match -thats 1 for each attendee. Given that 99.5% of people are sensible normal folk thats about 2 coppers per troublemaker !!

Just paying lip service to the requirement to get fans input. I'm sure Mr Barraclough is a very nice man but so was the prison officer of the same name in Porridge. Doubt he has the authority to tell the Chief Constable to stop his orchestrated campaign to force the EFL to organise future Sheffield Derby games in midweek. The latest PR utterings about little trouble are designed to boost the campaign and gloss over the fact Monday night put the safety of a number of fans at risk of serious injury.

If you're reading this SYP start with giving the fans something they want - Sheffield Derbies on a Saturday. Maybe then you'll get the fans co-operation you're asking for.

Agree with the posts about the Leppings Lane upper concourse. Maybe I've just forgotten but I can't remember ever being on a concourse that packed (including on the LL upper which I've done many times). We got there at 7 and needed to move down a couple of stairways to get to our seats. It took ages and I was knackered by the time we made it, there was no space at all - it wasn't just busy, it felt completely full.

Made a right mess of my Reebok Classics...

...it’s hardly revolutionary stuff. Trouble seldom occurs these days compared to 15-20 years ago. Tension is always high in these games, but bad decision-making from those policing the event looks a major contributor IMHO. The whole situation they put the away support in was farcical.

I wasn’t there on Monday night. ( I refuse to pay £40 odd to sit in that shit hole).
After reading the posts on this thread, it’s clear that SYP have not learned anything about crowd control over the last 30 years!!. They’re just useless. UTB

Well said.

The same thing happened to me on our Kop a few years ago - the game where James Beattie equalised with a direct free kick late on - when, for reasons too complicated to explain, I sat in an area away from my usual. A group of lowlifes directly behind me decided I was potentially a closet Wednesdayite and I got jostled and shoved several times during the match. The irony was that they were singing the “because of Boxing Day” song while giving grief to someone who was actually there (and who still carries the psychological scars).

This competitive “I hate Wednesday more than you do so I’m a bigger Blade” mindset is pathetic and sickening. As I have said before, I don’t hate them, never have, never will. I don’t call them pigs, never have, never will. I love beating them, always have, always will. But that’s as far as it goes.

In my time, been going since 1981, we've always had more than our share of wankers. Just like any decent sized club.

Two incidents when I was about 15 showed me the pathetic side to the rivalry.

One was with two blokes on the Kop who overheard me talking, where I had commented a lot of my mates were Wendies. They aggressively told me a proper Blade would never have pig mates, and maybe I was really one of them. They then followed it up with the old classic that a proper Blade wants the pig to lose first, and United win second.

The other incident was at Mansfield when we drew 1-1 In the FA Cup in about 88.

Martin Pike was up against a winger called Gordon Owen I think, who was a former pig.

These blokes in front were crucifying Pikey for standing off him. As a left back myself I politely explained that getting too tight would allow the ball inside and their player was clearly much quicker than Pike. I suggested the midfield needed to doing more to stop the service.

Not only did I get threatened by these 30 something year olds, but I was apparently praising the pig which meant I had clearly had some love for them.

We've always had pricks following us.

In my time, been going since 1981, we've always had more than our share of wankers. Just like any decent sized club.

Two incidents when I was about 15 showed me the pathetic side to the rivalry.

One was with two blokes on the Kop who overheard me talking, where I had commented a lot of my mates were Wendies. They aggressively told me a proper Blade would never have pig mates, and maybe I was really one of them. They then followed it up with the old classic that a proper Blade wants the pig to lose first, and United win second.

The other incident was at Mansfield when we drew 1-1 In the FA Cup in about 88.

Martin Pike was up against a winger called Gordon Owen I think, who was a former pig.

These blokes in front were crucifying Pikey for standing off him. As a left back myself I politely explained that getting too tight would allow the ball inside and their player was clearly much quicker than Pike. I suggested the midfield needed to doing more to stop the service.

Not only did I get threatened by these 30 something year olds, but I was apparently praising the pig which meant I had clearly had some love for them.

We've always had pricks following us.

Every team does sadly, but its when fans of either clubs refer to the others as scrubbers that it really annoys me, and if I'm honest, I think Wednesday fans see themselves as superior to us, more than the other way round. Might be wrong there, but that's how I see it.

That Mansfield game you mention is featured in the Life with the Blades I think. You can clearly hear monkey chants from the Mansfield fans when Deane or Agana get the ball and its disturbing. Not that long ago either.

Every team does sadly, but its when fans of either clubs refer to the others as scrubbers that it really annoys me, and if I'm honest, I think Wednesday fans see themselves as superior to us, more than the other way round. Might be wrong there, but that's how I see it.

That Mansfield game you mention is featured in the Life with the Blades I think. You can clearly hear monkey chants from the Mansfield fans when Deane or Agana get the ball and its disturbing. Not that long ago either.

Yeah wasn't uncommon in those days, especially in pit towns.

The worst racist abuse en masse I witnessed was between either at Barnsley in 1990 and at Burnley in 1993. Only 25 years or so ago.

If I remember rightly Littlejohn was either charged or investigated for inciting the Burnley fans for celebrating in front of them that night, yet little made of the fact he'd been racially abused by their terrace all night with Deane.

Is it not sensible for SYP to request daytime kick-offs ?
Surely its easier to Police in broad daylight ?
Sat / Sun 12.30 / 13,30 sounds easy compared to night matches.

Is it not sensible for SYP to request daytime kick-offs ?
Surely its easier to Police in broad daylight ?
Sat / Sun 12.30 / 13,30 sounds easy compared to night matches.
True but sky trump everyone.

Crowd control concerns are deemed irrelevant if sky want a particular game at a particular time.

Yeah wasn't uncommon in those days, especially in pit towns.

The worst racist abuse en masse I witnessed was between either at Barnsley in 1990 and at Burnley in 1993. Only 25 years or so ago.

If I remember rightly Littlejohn was either charged or investigated for inciting the Burnley fans for celebrating in front of them that night, yet little made of the fact he'd been racially abused by their terrace all night with Deane.

Burnley definitely. We went early and were in a pub near the ground. A big bloke walked in wearing a claret and blue dressing gown and a plastic monkey mask saying "l'm Brian Deane" unfortunately for him, half the clientele were BBC. Initially, when the mask came off there was a very very pale face underneath. But it matched his gown by the time him and his mates got out through the doors. Not big, not clever, but funny nonetheless.

I don’t get why Saturday 3:00 is a problem. Is it because of shoppers in town ? You’ll get trouble at anytime of day, any day of the week.

Those looking for it don’t think, oh it’s Sunday afternoon or Saturday lunchtime, we can’t be arsed.

My ma
That is the only derby game I have been to when I was genuinely worried for my safety, not worried about pig fans more worried about some of our own fans who were full of ale, coke and hatred and were ready to kick off with anyone. Some of the stewards on the kop took a real beating that night, then it kicked off at the side of us United fans fighting between themselves. I also remember it getting a bit tasty at Wembley in the semi final V Hull again fighting amongst ourselves.
Two of my mates were sat behind the fight at Wembley with their kids. They were dragging their children over seats to save them from what was going on. They couldn’t believe what they were seeing. It seemed to start because one group thought some around them weren’t singing enough! Really? Fight with your own for such a ridiculous reason.
I love our club and the fans passion but I agree with you let’s not delude ourselves that we’re somehow better than that lot for some of our fans behaviour.

Wednesday have more scum than us.

No doubt in my mind whatsoever, without bias.

But they're also less likely to sit in silence at Wembley, for example.

Even walking through the gangways to your seats at Leppings Lane makes you feel claustrophobic.

Awful experience for an away fan.
I was thinking whilst walking towards the lower seating area that it should have been bricked up, simply respect nothing more nothing less to those who lost their lives. That ground is such a blast from the past and we jokingly call it the rust bucket but it is truly a shit hole, and after the complete contempt and disregard by the police to public safety the mind boggles. Which bright-spake decided to allow both sets of supporters to walk out of the same exit at the same time, at one point it was absolute mayhem, we where crushed and to think that this is after what happened 30 years ago, unbelievable.

SYP want evening kick offs because the game finishing about 10.00pm means the time afterwards to cause trouble on the streets is limited.

The game at Hillsborough 24/09/17 finished mid afternoon on a Sunday. This caused problems for SYP as pubs remained open all afternoon and into the evening / night. Violence was reported in the early hours of Monday morning.

The policing costs that day (apparently the most expensive in the English leagues that season) was probably due to the incidents in various parts of Sheffield after the game rather than the costs at the stadium.

On another note. McCabe has his critics on here but one thing we should all be grateful for is his continued development and improvement of our stadium.

If Chansiri has a hole burning in his pocket due to not being able to purchase any more players then he should pull that Leppings Lane stand down and re-build it.

Not sure either of those statements are completely true but hardly the point. If someone isn’t a singer does that really mean they should be attacked physically for it?

I like a chant/song myself but not everyone feels comfortable doing it, doesn’t mean they support the club less.

SYP want evening kick offs because the game finishing about 10.00pm means the time afterwards to cause trouble on the streets is limited.

The game at Hillsborough 24/09/17 finished mid afternoon on a Sunday. This caused problems for SYP as pubs remained open all afternoon and into the evening / night. Violence was reported in the early hours of Monday morning.

Part of the issue there was because of the early kick off, people were drinking at 9.00 in the morning, it does hit you harder when you start earlier in the day, never mind at that time, lots topping up from the night before. Then straight back on it after.

Monday night I saw mates who’d been out since dinner time.

I’m not criticising having a drink before a game btw, I generally have a couple, I prefer not to when we play that lot as I prefer to keep my wits about me being as I have my young lad with me because as we’ve seen anything can happen

A 3pm KO, would be more ‘normal’.

The policing costs that day (apparently the most expensive in the English leagues that season) was probably due to the incidents in various parts of Sheffield after the game rather than the costs at the stadium.

On another note. McCabe has his critics on here but one thing we should all be grateful for is his continued development and improvement of our stadium.

If Chansiri has a hole burning in his pocket due to not being able to purchase any more players then he should pull that Leppings Lane stand down and re-build it.
Sorry but iam not grateful to mcabe for ‘ground developments’ one bit, building a hotel that we no longer own, building an office block and the proposed flats in the other corner should not be on the clubs land at all. It looks stupid and doesn’t create much revenue for the club either.

Sorry but iam not grateful to mcabe for ‘ground developments’ one bit, building a hotel that we no longer own, building an office block and the proposed flats in the other corner should not be on the clubs land at all. It looks stupid and doesn’t create much revenue for the club either.

So would you prefer we hadnt built the Westfield Corner ?
The hotel and the office space doesnt look stupid at all
Would you prefer an old fashioned out of date stadium like the one I had to visit on Monday night

What about the academy?

Iam saying he hasn’t got it all right, the academy and those 2 corners are great but i hate the office blocks,hotel was a complete failure and building flats is a fucking awful idea. Scarborough property should be not on the clubs land, hes made good decisions but also some awful ones too. He’ll probably sell the flats off after a while as per usual. Then we are stuck with them. His business decisions are very strange to me !

I took my wife to the home derby last season (also a 0-0), and sat on BLUT. Next to us were a group of lads who were absolutely steaming, every one of them. They stank, they were loud, they couldn't stop moving. They were also not interested in watching the game in any sense.

Towards the end of the game they were getting increasingly angry with anyone that spoke up to them (including stewards, other fans, each other etc.). It was a minor miracle that a fight didn't break out.

I'm highlighting this because to me it's apparent that there'll always be a minority on each side who use the game, and the rivalry of any sort, as an excuse to get battered and kick off with anyone who gets in the way regardless of allegiance.

I go to the game to watch the game, as and when I can. I don't sing as loud as others or are as animated, but this doesn't mean I care less. When I start genuinely fearing my own or my families safety it will be time to stay away.

Ask most Owls fans and they will say exactly the opposite about who has more scum. They can recite chapter and verse of the times they have been attacked , had flares thrown at them. The problem is that the police trapped the Blades fans the other night, maybe if they'd let them go and stepped aside there would have been a very bloody outcome. Ever since the days of the SRA and BBC, all Blades fans have been tarred with the same brush. The sit in silence at Wembley jibe sounds like a very pork inspired quote. Watched them a few times at Wembley on TV and the only time they were above average was against Hartlepool ( okay it was The Millenium ) and Hull, who both had piss poor support just like Pigs did in the replay against Arsenal.( Lowest support for a Cup Final or Replay ).
Maybe you should get copies of the Blades at Wembley against Pigs, Hull and Palace and then don't talk such crap.

Back
Top Bottom