Incoming? Alexander Blessin

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can someone explain to me any advantage of appointing this lad over Jokanovic is? Davie Weir did bits at youth level with Everton. May as well put Heckingbottom in if we want a great youth coach, at least he has some first team experience.
The only thing I can think of is that he may see us as a longer term role, whereas I think Jokanovic is considered a short term expensive option.
Obviously I’ve nothing to support that, just my view from the back.

I’m repeating myself but sacking Wilder brought in a significant level of additional risk. Of course that also brings opportunity, IF you’ve the right skills and are able to identify a better or comparable option.

A manager who can work with young players and to a BUDGET!

I think that kind of tells me the Prince has zero money.
I wonder if we will ever be lucky to find a rich owner.

Certainly talks a good game, happy to switch the formation and style of play if it calls for it, talks like a technical coach and quite a laid back character.

Hard to judge him off his managerial history as its fairly short:

But everyone has to start somewhere.

This smacks of propaganda rule 101. Release a load of stories linking us with a load of no mark European managers so when we ultimately decide to plump for Heckinbottom or Jovanovic (sp!) We're not completely dumbfounded and in some ways relieved...

The only thing I can think of is that he may see us as a longer term role, whereas I think Jokanovic is considered a short term expensive option.
Obviously I’ve nothing to support that, just my view from the back.

I’m repeating myself but sacking Wilder brought in a significant level of additional risk. Of course that also brings opportunity, IF you’ve the right skills and are able to identify a better or comparable option.

I’ve said elsewhere but it doesn’t make sense to roll the dice on a complete gamble. If we’d been sat in the Championship for 4-5 years again then yes I’d throw a curve ball and see what happens. Nothing to lose.

But the sensible approach is to use this short term opportunity with parachute payments to go after a proven manager with promotions on his CV. Give the money and budget to Jokanovic and say “Get us promotion this season”.

You do realise that every other team in the championship has a budget regardless of how rich their owner is. It’s called FFP and if you want to look at teams that go over that limit then check out how the pigs are doing.

You do realise that every other team in the championship has a budget regardless of how rich their owner is. It’s called FFP and if you want to look at teams that go over that limit then check out how the pigs are doing.

Yes but we the income from the parachute payments, Wednesday don’t. Our budget will (should) be amongst best in the division as a result.

Being honest every manager is a risk, there's no certainty in football.

Adkins came to us with an excellent CV for the task in hand, and was a complete clusterfuck.

Wilder had never managed above League 2, yet was superb for 4 years.

Whether its a legitimate link, or media speculation, and whether he would be great or garbage remains to be seen.

I do like that there seems to be a thought process behind him (formation, youth, links via Belgian league etc)

An unknown to us, doesn't mean an unknown to the board?

Oostende are owned by the same people as Barnsley and Blessin seems to fit a similar profile to the managers they've gone for.

Experience is massively overrated when it comes to hiring a new manager.

After Warnock, how did McCabe do with all his years of manager decisions?

I'm open minded about pretty much anyone we put in charge. This guy could turn out to be a Farke as much as a Lukahay.

my main point is that what experience does our board have to have a good belief he is more of a farke than lukahay

This is potentially Huddersfield all over is it not?

Surprising first season in the top flight after a promotion against the odds. A relegation, Star manager leaves and is replaced by unproven German who was good with the youths.

Van Winckel was on the board when we was in the championship you know. But hey let’s not try something different or progressive. Let’s get a has been like Pulis or Hughes eh

did you even read my suggestion? Why have you automatically put me in the dinosaur wanting range?

I don’t see anything in this guy that stands out apart from the clip. Has managed for only 9 months and not achieved anything due to this that gives me confidence we gets us back up. Like Ridley said, if we were in the champ for 3 years chewing grass then why not, but our aim now should be to go straight back.

Also my other worry would be players like John Egan saying who? Nah I am good, transfer please

This is potentially Huddersfield all over is it not?

Surprising first season in the top flight after a promotion against the odds. A relegation, Star manager leaves and is replaced by unproven German who was good with the youths.

Wagner was an unproven German as well

People saying Cooper. He may not even be interested. We would also have a big release clause to pay.

This guy seems abit left field. But has worked at RB Leipzig, so has experience of a big club. Also brings through youth players. Something we have been lacking the last few years.

May not require a complete squad overhaul if he plays 352.

Only in S2 do we have such short sighted muck n nettles fans.

There's no way Cooper would decide to leave Swansea, especially to another Champ club, until it's clear whether they'll be promoted or not

What gave you the impression that he was rich?
The only folk that seem surprised are those who deluded themselves that he was a billionaire in the first place when it was never claimed .

I suggested Blessin some weeks ago in another thread here. He is the best manager in the Belgian league at the moment. Oostende just escaped relegation last season and with a bunch of unknown and unproven players Blessin has created a miracle. They are the most attractive team to watch and play a very energetic high press game that has impressed everyone here in Belgium. His assistant is a former NFL physical coach and the summer preparation was quite special in terms of physical preparation but they out run all other teams now. Best appointment you can make.

did you even read my suggestion? Why have you automatically put me in the dinosaur wanting range?

I don’t see anything in this guy that stands out apart from the clip. Has managed for only 9 months and not achieved anything due to this that gives me confidence we gets us back up. Like Ridley said, if we were in the champ for 3 years chewing grass then why not, but our aim now should be to go straight back.
I don’t see anything in this guy that stands out, apart from the only thing I’ve seen.

We need to install some pashun. Need a no nonsence northern lad to make them run up bole hills for 6 hours in the freezing rain.

I suggested Blessin some weeks ago in another thread here. He is the best manager in the Belgian league at the moment. Oostende just escaped relegation last season and with a bunch of unknown and unproven players Blessin has created a miracle. They are the most attractive team to watch and play a very energetic high press game that has impressed everyone here in Belgium. His assistant is a former NFL physical coach and the summer preparation was quite special in terms of physical preparation but they out run all other teams now. Best appointment you can make.

Now then. That sounds a bit sexy.

He’s managed in Belgium and is completely unproven over here. In fact, he’s completely unproven anywhere - at 47 he has had 9 months of experience at first team manager level, at one club, full stop.

But he can work to a budget (!!!) and speaks good English. Bielsa speaks none and is a genius. And with parachute payments we should have a comparatively strong budget.

It looks a terrible gamble IMHO. I give him 10 games.
And Bielsa's English/Championship experience before Leeds was?

Past performance is no guarantee of future returns

8FBCA14B-E3F6-4EE4-9E7E-65050A1BA6CA.gif

Back
Top Bottom