Alex Mowatt

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chabuddy G

Kurupt FM
Reaction score
As we know, we are absolutely desperate for depth and improvements in the midfield.
As we know, we are either skint or saving our money for next season.
As we know, we have already missed out on a very capable left footed midfielder who'd fit slap bang in our system in Conor Hourihane.

Now, Alex Mowatt is a name that I think we should be right after.
Barnsley captain, ex Leeds, from Donny. Out of contract in 6 months and stalling on a new deal.
We could offer them 1mil and they'd snap our hands off. He gets 6 months Premier League experience and we get a very capable Championship performer for next season.

They've had a terrific season so far and he's been a huge part of that.
Left footed, mobile, a good passer of the ball and with leadership qualities. Has also played the deeper Norwood style role whilst at Barnsley, he'd be equally capable of doing what Fleck does. As we know both are dreadfully out of form and he wouldn't struggle getting into the side imo.
A much better footballer than Osborn, and a huge asset for us next season in my opinion.

He wouldn't even need to move house!

If he's not Ronnie Glavin he can fuck off 🙂

He's an obvious signing in the summer, a available on a free and with maximum convenience for him in terms of where he will live.

I'm just not sure where I would play him.

If you play 3-4-1-2, then the only slot for him is on the left of centre of the middle two in the 4. That has always been Fleck's position, so unless someone weighs in with daft money for Fleck then that position seems difficult. Unless Fleck takes up the no 10 spot then it potentially becomes open but does Fleck promise enough goals and assists in that spot?

Otherwise you are playing a new conventional 3-5-2 and he could play in Norwood's spot at the base potentially. I'm still not convinced now is the time to offload Norwood. He is an excellent passer and you'd assume we would have far more of the ball in the division below and hence this is where we would see more of his quality.

But then again it is a squad game. We are losing Lundstram and question marks remain over Freeman's future, be that Forest or someone else.

He's an obvious signing in the summer, a available on a free and with maximum convenience for him in terms of where he will live.

I'm just not sure where I would play him.

If you play 3-4-1-2, then the only slot for him is on the left of centre of the middle two in the 4. That has always been Fleck's position, so unless someone weighs in with daft money for Fleck then that position seems difficult. Unless Fleck takes up the no 10 spot then it potentially becomes open but does Fleck promise enough goals and assists in that spot?

Otherwise you are playing a new conventional 3-5-2 and he could play in Norwood's spot at the base potentially. I'm still not convinced now is the time to offload Norwood. He is an excellent passer and you'd assume we would have far more of the ball in the division below and hence this is where we would see more of his quality.

But then again it is a squad game. We are losing Lundstram and question marks remain over Freeman's future, be that Forest or someone else.
I think it we go down, maybe even if we stay up, we will move for Mowatt. Was disappointed we didn't go for him for a £1m or so now and guarantee him coming. I could see one of the promoted sides coming in for him and that could be the difference. But we'll need more competition for the centre mid spots next season, Mowatt an obvious choice.

Fleck does need more competition next season anyway, but can see him playing in Norwood's role as you say also, if we play with a flat three. He could be one to grow into the team and in the short term provide quality cover, as opposed to cover that is only used as a back-up like Kean Bryan and Robinson, with all due respect, although maybe I'm harsh on Bryan who is showing positive signs.

I think it we go down, maybe even if we stay up, we will move for Mowatt. Was disappointed we didn't go for him for a £1m or so now and guarantee him coming. I could see one of the promoted sides coming in for him and that could be the difference. But we'll need more competition for the centre mid spots next season, Mowatt an obvious choice.

Fleck does need more competition next season anyway, but can see him playing in Norwood's role as you say also, if we play with a flat three. He could be one to grow into the team and in the short term provide quality cover, as opposed to cover that is only used as a back-up like Kean Bryan and Robinson, with all due respect, although maybe I'm harsh on Bryan who is showing positive signs.
flat 3 next season 😳😳😳

Surely this needs a bump - that free kick yesterday was 👌
Barnsley the new Brentford

flat 3 next season 😳😳😳
I'm fine with a flat 3, if that's the decision. It entirely depends on who and how they are used. If we're keeping Berge and adding two player who have the creativity, the fact that it's flat doesn't matter but they need to be much better than Fleck, Norwood and Lunny. They need to have the ability to create, workrate and discipline to get back into shape while chipping in with more goals. Players that can do all that in the championship is a big ask, but if they think they can find them great.
If not, and we're just looking for younger versions of what we have then it would be a concern.

I'm fine with a flat 3, if that's the decision. It entirely depends on who and how they are used. If we're keeping Berge and adding two player who have the creativity, the fact that it's flat doesn't matter but they need to be much better than Fleck, Norwood and Lunny. They need to have the ability to create, workrate and discipline to get back into shape while chipping in with more goals. Players that can do all that in the championship is a big ask, but if they think they can find them great.
If not, and we're just looking for younger versions of what we have then it would be a concern.
i feel sure chris will want to go back to the 3412 system we played in our last 2 years in the championship but we certainly need a duffy type to play that system again wonder if jon swift might be the player hes got in mind for that spot in any case with berge and lundstram likely to be gone we will need 3 to come in imo

i feel sure chris will want to go back to the 3412 system we played in our last 2 years in the championship but we certainly need a duffy type to play that system again wonder if jon swift might be the player hes got in mind for that spot in any case with berge and lundstram likely to be gone we will need 3 to come in imo
I would suspect similar unless he feels we can't get the right players in who can also play that way should we return to this level.
If he stays I would think it's all about coming back up with a version of our system which can better compete at the level we want to stay at

I would suspect similar unless he feels we can't get the right players in who can also play that way should we return to this level.
If he stays I would think it's all about coming back up with a version of our system which can better compete at the level we want to stay at
so your thinking that he will stick to the flat 3 because thats the system we will be using again when we get back up ? personally would like us to go to a back 4 and get an extra man in midfield but still think chris will want to stick to the overlapping centre backs system

so your thinking that he will stick to the flat 3 because thats the system we will be using again when we get back up ? personally would like us to go to a back 4 and get an extra man in midfield but still think chris will want to stick to the overlapping centre backs system
I think he'll try and build a side and system which will work at both levels, but that will be dependent on securing good enough players, otherwise we're back here should we get promoted. Clearly this is only my musings.

I think he'll try and build a side and system which will work at both levels, but that will be dependent on securing good enough players, otherwise we're back here should we get promoted. Clearly this is only my musings.
I think the key to what you’re talking about would be a hybrid player who can play as RCM and as a 10 like buendia. This would allow us to shift formations fluidly in games and keep opponents on their toes. As to who that player is I’m sure I don’t know.

I think the key to what you’re talking about would be a hybrid player who can play as RCM and as a 10 like buendia. This would allow us to shift formations fluidly in games and keep opponents on their toes. As to who that player is I’m sure I don’t know.
Ideally you'd have two, one on the left and one on the right, but yeah I've no idea if we have anyone targeted with those abilities that would play in the Championship.
However, if you did, and they must exist just as Buendia did, then us playing a flat 3 with Berge wouldn't bother me a bit and you wouldn't need a number 10.
As I say, it's about personnel and being able to find them and then acquire them. I'd suggest it highly unlikely, but possible.

Coulibaly maybe?

Coulibaly maybe?
Maybe but there’s a lot of things standing in between where we are now and that working out. Firstly there’s the work permit issue which I don’t see being resolved this summer. Secondly from what little I’ve seen of him he looks a high energy box to box player which would mean he’s well suited to playing RCM but I haven’t seen him show the skill in tight spaces to play as a 10.

Literally the most frustrating thing for me last summer is the fact we could probably have got Buendia for less than we paid for Brewster and on probably similar wages.

Every man and his dog could see we didn't need more strikers, just someone to supply the ones we already had but CW apparently didn't agree so went with a £23m striker with no top flight experience and expected Lunny, Norwood and Fleck to supply enough chances :confused:

Literally the most frustrating thing for me last summer is the fact we could probably have got Buendia for less than we paid for Brewster and on probably similar wages.

Every man and his dog could see we didn't need more strikers, just someone to supply the ones we already had but CW apparently didn't agree so went with a £23m striker with no top flight experience and expected Lunny, Norwood and Fleck to supply enough chances :confused:
When has Buendia been available for that price and when did Wilder say he wasn’t interested?
I’d be genuinely shocked if he was told he could have signed him and he said nah I’m good thanks. I don’t even see how we afford his wages, which would be at least double what we’re paying Brewster.

I think buendia was available in the summer but probably not for a price we’d have been able to pay. I’m basing this on the fee that got for Godfrey which was 30 million and the fact that they reportedly wanted similar for cantwell when Leeds unsettled him then offered a cheeky 15 late in the window. Norwich had their valuations for their assets and stuck to them we’ll never know for sure what that number was for buendia but logically it must’ve been similar to cantwell and probably higher.

Back
Top Bottom