CONFIRMED Aaron Ramsdale sold to Arsenal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Regarding the 'imbalance'; we've played & recruited for a set formation for the best part of 4 seasons, and i can't see us attempting to alter things too drastically with the players we have. However, we won't have the services of Jags, Amapdu, KB and JOC at CB, which leaves us woefully short if we go either 3 or 2. I think we need 2 in asap, unless we see JR as being adequate in the short term at LCB with the help of RND.

I think that we are 1 LWB too heavy, unless we see one as being an LCB.

We also have 6 forwards (7 incl. Burke), none of whom really appear to complement each other and none of whom is a traditional out & out target man/dominant aerial presence, which I think would be valuable. As has been mentioned previously Didz operate best in a 50/50 role between the front line & midfield, which is not ideal. I think that we are 2 heavy in that department.

After Lunny's departure we also have a gap at RCM, and have never replaced Duffy.

Regarding the 'imbalance'; we've played & recruited for a set formation for the best part of 4 seasons, and i can't see us attempting to alter things too drastically with the players we have. However, we won't have the services of Jags, Amapdu, KB and JOC at CB, which leaves us woefully short if we go either 3 or 2. I think we need 2 in asap, unless we see JR as being adequate in the short term at LCB with the help of RND.

We also have 6 forwards (7 incl. Burke), none of whom really appear to complement each other and none of whom is a traditional out & out target man/dominant aerial presence, which I think would be valuable. As has been mentioned previously Didz operate best in a 50/50 role between the front line & midfield, which is not ideal. I think that we are 2 heavy in that department.

After Lunny's departure we also have a gap at RCM, and have never replaced Duffy.
We used to recruit for the system in 18/19. After that, fuck knows?

Haha I'm a big fan of not classing Burke as a striker! :)

Your post highlights just how poor the recruitment has been over the last 18 months. It's easy to see now just why the club didn't have a prayer of staying up last season after last summer's recruitment

i think arsenal are only prepared to go to 25m for rammy and are looking elsewhere now well done to the board for not accepting any shit offer
I hope we’re still saying this in a few weeks time.

My concern is that the offers of £30m are wide of the mark and seemingly are more around £20-25m. At £30m in my opinion he goes.

We had no need to replace Duffy as Wilder decided we were going with a flat 3 in midfield

It might have been an idea though to allow a change in formation, especially when behind in games. CW even got rid of the only other natural attacking midfielder in Freeman. He possibly saw McGoldrick as being able to fill-in but leaving the next best option as Osborn was just negligent.

I'm all for not accepting poor offers, but.......

No recruitment so far. Yet some fans desperate to hold on to players who's valuations seem (to me) way in excess of anything we've witnessed (Ramsdale, Berge).

All evidence points to us needing to sell before we recruit. I don't feel that last season's squad is well placed to excel this season, and remain really nervous about what's happening.

The worst case might yet happen - when our lofty valuations aren't met, financial realty bites, and we sell at lower valuations with no time to re invest wisely.

No recruitment so far. Yet some fans desperate to hold on to players who's valuations seem (to me) way in excess of anything we've witnessed (Ramsdale, Berge).

All evidence points to us needing to sell before we recruit. I don't feel that last season's squad is well placed to excel this season, and remain really nervous about what's happening.

The worst case might yet happen - when our lofty valuations aren't met, financial realty bites, and we sell at lower valuations with no time to re invest wisely.
Equally, we might sell Ramsdale and struggle to get a quality keeper for the next ten years. It's not as simple as just cashing in and replacing.

Equally, we might sell Ramsdale and struggle to get a quality keeper for the next ten years. It's not as simple as just cashing in and replacing.
I think It would be very easy to get a top championship keeper with £5m to spend.

And for 6 months of last year, Ramsdale himself was miles away from being top quality championship standard. There's a lot riding on him keeping his end of season form.

That's not without risk either.

I think It would be very easy to get a top championship keeper with £5m to spend.

And for 6 months of last year, Ramsdale himself was miles away from being top quality championship standard. There's a lot riding on him keeping his end of season form.

Out of interest Alco, which GK would you try to buy for up to £5m?

There's not too many proven keepers that I can think of that would be available for around that figure. Woodman would be my preferred choice but he's unlikely to be available and would most likely cost £15-20m

... and then if we get promoted we're back to square one. There's no guarantee that anyone will retain form from last year, so it's also possible that we'd sell Rammers, buy this mystery £5m top Championship goalkeeper from somewhere, then Rammers goes from strength to strength and we're left with a keeper who's past his best.

This kind of short-termism and willingness to sell our best assets is why we'll never be able to achieve our potential.

Exactly so , and the same applies to other quality players such as Egan and Baldock who some seem to think could be relatively easily replaced with players of equal if not better ability should they leave .

It would have been difficult enough if we were still in the PL and paying PL wages . In the Championship - not a cat in hell’s chance imo .

Exactly so , and the same applies to other quality players such as Egan and Baldock who some seem to think could be relatively easily replaced with players of equal if not better ability should they leave .

It would have been difficult enough if we were still in the PL and paying PL wages . In the Championship - not a cat in hell’s chance imo .

Though I definitely wouldn't include the likes of Egan or Baldock in that.

I specifically named Berge who's done bugger all for us so far, and Ramsdale, who was shite for a significant part of his only season with us, and as a keeper isn't instrumental in the way we play.

These are players that fans keep demanding astronomical valuations for.

... and then if we get promoted we're back to square one. There's no guarantee that anyone will retain form from last year, so it's also possible that we'd sell Rammers, buy this mystery £5m top Championship goalkeeper from somewhere, then Rammers goes from strength to strength and we're left with a keeper who's past his best.

This kind of short-termism and willingness to sell our best assets is why we'll never be able to achieve our potential.

"Back to square one" with a keeper who hasn't proved his worth for a full season in the premier league with us yet, and a midfielder who at no point has. And with £100m extra in our pockets.

It all depends if you expect that the current squad is up to it. I don't.

And in terms of short termism - that depends if you think the players are worth anything like the valuations being checked around. Again, I don't. So it would be sensible to deal and reinvest.

Out of interest Alco, which GK would you try to buy for up to £5m?

There's not too many proven keepers that I can think of that would be available for around that figure. Woodman would be my preferred choice but he's unlikely to be available and would most likely cost £15-20m
I have to confess that my knowledge of keepers around the world is poor. But I really struggle to believe that we couldn't acquire a top championship standard keeper for £5M.

It might have been an idea though to allow a change in formation, especially when behind in games. CW even got rid of the only other natural attacking midfielder in Freeman. He possibly saw McGoldrick as being able to fill-in but leaving the next best option as Osborn was just negligent.

Yes totally agree

"Back to square one" with a keeper who hasn't proved his worth for a full season in the premier league with us yet, and a midfielder who at no point has. And with £100m extra in our pockets.

It all depends if you expect that the current squad is up to it. I don't.

And in terms of short termism - that depends if you think the players are worth anything like the valuations being checked around. Again, I don't. So it would be sensible to deal and reinvest.
You don't rate berge ? Really
Why haven't you mentioned this before ?

Reactions: SWB
So we are all agreed we should not sell Ramsdale yet but we should sell Ramsdale at some point soon.

It depends on how you look at it.

Selling Berge and Ramsdale means that any direct replacements are without question worse players, weakening our first 11.

However, on the assumption that we cannot recruit anyone at all without selling first, then we absolutely need to sell one of them to rebalance the squad.

However again, in reality we probably have various options and scenario's - based on on selling or keeping either of the above. I've no doubt that we are still going to strengthen even if we keep both players. That might however mean we look at lower cost players vs higher cost players.

And as we all know, HIGH COST DOESN'T EQUAL HIGH ABILITY! There's a simple need to recruit well whichever route we go down.

Though I definitely wouldn't include the likes of Egan or Baldock in that.

I specifically named Berge who's done bugger all for us so far, and Ramsdale, who was shite for a significant part of his only season with us, and as a keeper isn't instrumental in the way we play.

These are players that fans keep demanding astronomical valuations for.

I agree with you on Berge and was the first on here , after watching him only 5 or 6 times , to question what positive impact he was going to have on our results . I’m still waiting for the answer to that .

As for goalkeepers not being instrumental in the way we play , that may be true but they sure have a massive impact on the amount of points a team accumulates which is really all that matters at the end of the season .

When Henderson joined us he boldly announced that he would probably gain us 20 points and was almost as good as his word . Ramsdale has shown that he is capable of making outstanding saves that all but the very best would not be capable of and this , coupled with the fact that he seems to be fully recovered from his early season jitters , leads me to believe that he could make a difference of at least 10 points as against a lesser replacement.

That could mean the difference between automatic promotion and not even being in the play offs , a situation which makes £30 million look risible .

Selling Berge and Ramsdale means that any direct replacements are without question worse players, weakening our first 11.
I don't accept that though, though with any transfers you can never be sure.

I agree with you on Berge and was the first on here , after watching him only 5 or 6 times , to question what positive impact he was going to have on our results . I’m still waiting for the answer to that .

As for goalkeepers not being instrumental in the way we play , that may be true but they sure have a massive impact on the amount of points a team accumulates which is really all that matters at the end of the season .

When Henderson joined us he boldly announced that he would probably gain us 20 points and was almost as good as his word . Ramsdale has shown that he is capable of making outstanding saves that all but the very best would not be capable of and this , coupled with the fact that he seems to be fully recovered from his early season jitters , leads me to believe that he could make a difference of at least 10 points as against a lesser replacement.

That could mean the difference between automatic promotion and not even being in the play offs , a situation which makes £30 million look risible .
That's why I referenced the way we play - you're gambling less with that with a keeper.

However, I completely agree that a top keeper is vital. They are generally underrated, hence why top keepers cost far less than top strikers. But I still believe there are questions over Ramsdale, so don't see that he's be too hard to replace. And the fees being talked about sound ridiculous to me.

If it were an either / or, I'd keep Ramsdale and sell Berge.

I don't accept that though, though with any transfers you can never be sure.
I take the point about lack of certainty, and maybe 'near enough with certainty' is correct phrasing.

They are simply a different calibre of player, which we simply will not attract with low budgets, wages and championship football to offer.

If Championship clubs could recruit better player than 30m Premier League signings, for a fraction of the price, then they would. However it doesn't happen better players end up at better clubs and cost more money.

I'm not really clued up on players, targets etc. But show me a viable player who is BETTER than Berge and Ramsdale.

Back
Top Bottom