A sense of perspective - 50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bear

Reaction score
50 years ago today as a boy of 12 I went to my first match alone.

Having left Sheffield in 1964 for the Isle of Wight, my nearest teams were across the Solent. In the September of 1970 just 3 months after my own father was blown to bits in the Indian Ocean I had gone to Fratton Park. We beat Portsmouth 5-1 a fantastic night. My uncle took me.

On 2nd January 1971 I went again and was disgusted that we lost 0-2 in the FA Cup.

But the depressing short crossing back across the Solent was tempered by this news from Glasgow.

I suggest you all watch it.

Then you'll know to be grateful it didnt happen to you.

RIP the 66 and especially Margaret and the Markinch boys. She could have been from Kiveton, they could have come from Dinnington.

Having left Sheffield in 1964 for the Isle of Wight, my nearest teams were across the Solent. In the September of 1970 just 3 months after my own father was blown to bits in the Indian Ocean I had gone to Fratton Park. We beat Portsmouth 5-1 a fantastic night. My uncle took me.

On 2nd January 1971 I went again and was disgusted that we lost 0-2 in the FA Cup.

But the depressing short crossing back across the Solent was tempered by this news from Glasgow.

RIP the 66 and especially Margaret and the Markinch boys. She could have been from Kiveton, they could have come from Dinnington.
Bloody hell what a story. Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom