A 13 year old boys drawings from 1949-50 of United/Wednesday players

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fulwood Blade

Reaction score
Occasionally you get a WOW moment and I believe i've had one of those today.

The drawings below (which I was permitted to take images of) are of a United fans drawings/caricatures from the 1949/50 season. A friend gave him an autograph book as a birthday present and being a United fan as well as a Sheffielder, he went on a little mission to hand draw mainly United's but some Wednesday players of that season. He then made it his mission to get their individual autographs (on the same page) and also full team pages of autographs. There are also a few Yorkshire cricketers in the back of the book - going back to the days when Yorkshire played at BDTBL. I was fortunate that I caught a few Yorkshire games myself and our place of sitting was "on the kop" but to the left of the old kop roof.

The person in question, who the book belonged to died a few years ago and it was his widow who found this book in a bureau quite recently - totally unknown to her.

Two of them are also in United's carpark !!

I'll post a few now - i'll get round to doing the rest later.

She mentioned today that she would like this go go into United museum eventually (hopefully United could find a place for it) - which seems a generous thing as I am sure it carries a value to it - if only for it's individuality and uniqueness.

Personally, I think they are fabulous - but for a 13yo to do these, they are outstanding.

It's a nice story in todays rather troubled times - hope you enjoy them as much as I did earlier on today.

UTB

Attachments

• 20210124_152949.jpg
    20210124_152949.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 167
  • 20210124_153031.jpg
    20210124_153031.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 20210124_153042.jpg
    20210124_153042.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 20210124_153105.jpg
    20210124_153105.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 20210124_153131.jpg
    20210124_153131.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 175
  • 20210124_153226.jpg
    20210124_153226.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 20210124_153208.jpg
    20210124_153208.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Great Pics Fulwood. Look forward to more. I ,also, have the autographs of the 1949-50 players and 12 pen pics similar to those you have posted. Have you any more info of the origins of those you have posted?Incidentally, I also used to sit on the Kop steps ( at Yorks matches) just where the roof ended. .

On left from top to bottom; Fred Furniss, Joe Shaw, Graham Bailey, Albert Cox, Colin Collindridge, Ralph Moremont (I think), Pat Keating, Reg Wright (trainer). On right, Jack Smith, Andy McLaren, Pat O'Sullivan, George Hutchinson, Arthur Eggleston (trainer), Ted Burgin, Harold Brook, Jack Winter, Dennis Thompson, Gordon Loukes
1611513261575.png

On left from top to bottom; Fred Furniss, Joe Shaw, Graham Bailey, Albert Cox, Colin Collindridge, Ralph Moremont (I think), Pat Keating, Reg Wright (trainer). On right, Jack Smith, Andy McLaren, Pat O'Sullivan, George Hutchinson, Arthur Eggleston (trainer), Ted Burgin, Harold Brook, Jack Winter, Dennis Thompson, Gordon Loukes
View attachment 103833

thanks for that - I knew you'd fill in the gaps :)

UTB

Occasionally you get a WOW moment and I believe i've had one of those today.

The drawings below (which I was permitted to take images of) are of a United fans drawings/caricatures from the 1949/50 season. A friend gave him an autograph book as a birthday present and being a United fan as well as a Sheffielder, he went on a little mission to hand draw mainly United's but some Wednesday players of that season. He then made it his mission to get their individual autographs (on the same page) and also full team pages of autographs. There are also a few Yorkshire cricketers in the back of the book - going back to the days when Yorkshire played at BDTBL. I was fortunate that I caught a few Yorkshire games myself and our place of sitting was "on the kop" but to the left of the old kop roof.

The person in question, who the book belonged to died a few years ago and it was his widow who found this book in a bureau quite recently - totally unknown to her.

Two of them are also in United's carpark !!

I'll post a few now - i'll get round to doing the rest later.

She mentioned today that she would like this go go into United museum eventually (hopefully United could find a place for it) - which seems a generous thing as I am sure it carries a value to it - if only for it's individuality and uniqueness.

Personally, I think they are fabulous - but for a 13yo to do these, they are outstanding.

It's a nice story in todays rather troubled times - hope you enjoy them as much as I did earlier on today.

UTB
Great trip down memory Lane there Fulwood; cheers. The caricatures are very reminiscent of those used in The Sheffield Star and The Green 'Un at the time. I think they were drawn by a cartoonist signed 'Heap', who also possibly drew the regular cartoons and I think the Gloops (cat whose catchphrase was "thimble") and Little Sport characters. I wonder if the book of caricatures you have was a publication with pre-printed Heap drawings, with space for autographs or perhaps the youngster used Heap's caricatures sd s model for his own efforts. They are brilliant; any Blade out there do some offerings of present heroes (Deano, Billy etc)? Nice post.

Great trip down memory Lane there Fulwood; cheers. The caricatures are very reminiscent of those used in The Sheffield Star and The Green 'Un at the time. I think they were drawn by a cartoonist signed 'Heap', who also possibly drew the regular cartoons and I think the Gloops (cat whose catchphrase was "thimble") and Little Sport characters. I wonder if the book of caricatures you have was a publication with pre-printed Heap drawings, with space for autographs or perhaps the youngster used Heap's caricatures sd s model for his own efforts. They are brilliant; any Blade out there do some offerings of present heroes (Deano, Billy etc)? Nice post.
A famous example of Heap’s work. Any amateur art historian out there to analyse similarities?
2A4667C9-87A0-4DD8-AE5D-4AE2589DC5D9.jpeg
PS To me, they look quite different

Back
Top Bottom