60 years ago this month...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

March 18, 1961. FA Cup Semi-final
Leicester 0-0 United
(at Elland Road, Leeds)

(See video, post 478)

In the current climate of despair about United, it is worth repeating the old cliche ‘It’s a funny old game’. The week before we had had our first and only league match that season to end in a 0-0 draw, but we followed this with two 0-0 draws in the Cup semi-final in just 5 days (the second match after extra time). We had not played in a Cup semi-final for 25 years, but in just 9 days we played 3 semi-finals. At the time, it seemed a truly historic moment, as it was the first time in my life that we had reached the semis, and any event pre-war was in my eyes ancient history; and whilst I was aware of the significance of the achievement, it never occurred to me that it would be another long 32 years before we made it to another semifinal. And even more depressingly, I have now lived through 7 semifinals, and not a single one has ended in victory. The moral of that story: enjoy (if that is the right word) each game as it is played, and don’t rely on winning trophies to make life worth living. Any other attitude is bad for our health (though it is good to dream occasionally).

The many pictures of the days before the game show that it was warm, dry weather, and as was normal at the time, in spring this meant a bumpy pitch which made good football difficult. There was a strong wind, and as the film shows, at half-time the heavens opened and concrete bumps turned to bog, which again made for difficult conditions.
The programme, double the normal price at 6 pence, was a little disappointing; I have reproduced the most interesting page, the ‘Welcome from Leeds United’, which presents Leicester and United as role-models for Leeds. Not as flattering as it might seem - it is because we are not glamorous or wealthy clubs, but ‘honest triers’ who enjoy occasional success amidst years of honest toil and mediocrity. Remarkably, Leeds’ plight was such that they aspired to share our success. And rather depressingly Leicester and Leeds have progressed further than United in the last 60 years.
The match was disappointing. There was relatively little goalmouth action, and though United were the better side, we rarely looked like winning the game. We were, of course, helped by the injury to Wills which meant he was a limping passenger for the whole of the second-half; the tackle by Summers was out-of-character, probably unintentional, and would have been a straight red card nowadays. There were good players on both sides, but it was the defenders who dominated. McLintock and King stood out for them. Banks was by this stage an Under-23 international, and it is remarkable to look back and appreciate that both goalkeepers were born in Sheffield, and one was a recent England international, and the other went on to be a World Cup winner - no wonder it was 0-0!
The atmosphere was good throughout. I think we won for volume of support (the limited crowd microphone for the film picks up ‘Ilkla Moor’, especially in the second half). The one explosive moment came at the end of the game (and at the other end of the ground from where we were standing). Pace scored, the referee disallowed the goal for handball. Afterwards, Pace reportedly showed the ref a muddy mark on his shirt which showed it should have been a goal. I don’t think I ever saw film of the incident, so I have no idea whether we were dealt an injustice. Looking back, it is pretty certain that we would have made history in the Final - by losing to Spurs, the first team to do the League and Cup double goal n the 20th century.
Pics of the programme below, and from the scrapbook in the following post:
94655804-8056-4C97-8ADE-8F1E5A0766BB.jpegADD9E354-B51A-4A67-8E45-A3D0354DFE40.jpeg3844E993-BB49-4149-83C4-BA44658D53E8.jpeg

my father in law went to that game and always told me it wasnt hand ball he was at that end of the ground
He was certainly not the only person to have come away with that opinion. When VAR was first talked of, I was fully in support of it, thinking if only it had been around in 1961, I might have made it to Wembley to see United in a Cup Final. Having seen the shambles that is VAR now, I am no longer convinced - it is not easy now to know what is handball and what isn’t. But we were certainly not happy about it, Hodgy, in his autobiography, says that Jim Finney had refereed the match well, had made a mistake, but that’s life. Mind you, he also writes that it was Coldwell who injured Wills, which the video makes clear was not the case - it was Summers 100%. But Hodgy is right about one thing - ‘C’est la vie’; not many of us were that philosophical at 5.00 that afternoon though!

He was certainly not the only person to have come away with that opinion. When VAR was first talked of, I was fully in support of it, thinking if only it had been around in 1961, I might have made it to Wembley to see United in a Cup Final. Having seen the shambles that is VAR now, I am no longer convinced - it is not easy now to know what is handball and what isn’t. But we were certainly not happy about it, Hodgy, in his autobiography, says that Jim Finney had refereed the match well, had made a mistake, but that’s life. Mind you, he also writes that it was Coldwell who injured Wills, which the video makes clear was not the case - it was Summers 100%. But Hodgy is right about one thing - ‘C’est la vie’; not many of us were that philosophical at 5.00 that afternoon though!
got hodgys book he was wrong on a few facts in it including that we played west ham last game of the 67/68 season when it was chelsea

got hodgys book he was wrong on a few facts in it including that we played west ham last game of the 67/68 season when it was chelsea
I enjoyed reading it, and it gives a good picture of him as a person, and his excellent career. There are loads of inaccuracies, unfortunately; some, no doubt, as a result of a breakdown in communication with those working with him. They could have done with asking some on here to read the preliminary version to improve the accuracy! The one that most shocked me is coming up in a few weeks- he has the promotion-clinching match v Derby as an away match, and the whole section becomes totally untrue as a result. Judging from his collection of programmes, he had the info available. But it is good that his character shines through.

His ghost writer is a Stoke fan who couldnt be bothered to check if the details from Hodgy were correct
Memo to all Blades players and managers past and present: if you write an autobiography, get SilentBlade to proofread the first draft. All facts will then be correct.
(Have you ever done proofreading, SB? That would have been a perfect career for you.)

my father in law went to that game and always told me it wasnt hand ball he was at that end of the ground
Your f-i-l was spot on. It happened right in front of me. Doc Pace controlled the ball with his shoulder before putting it in the net. Gordon Banks claimed it was handball and the ref believed him. Oh for VAR !

Memo to all Blades players and managers past and present: if you write an autobiography, get SilentBlade to proofread the first draft. All facts will then be correct.
(Have you ever done proofreading, SB? That would have been a perfect career for you.)

I think any Blades player that writes a book should have it proof read by a Unitedite that knows their stuff. SilentBlade would be an excellent choice, as would Mr Flashing Blade, Matt Bell. Matt proofread a couple of my books.

I've proofread for Matt's Sabella book and the United part of the Bob Booker biography by Greville Waterman. You have to remember a lot of words go into writing a book, over 100k at least, and human nature dictates with that many words mistakes/errors are going to happen. A fresh set of eyes, especially a set of eyes that belong to a fan who knows their stuff, will be pick up any errors straight away.

FA CUP SEMIFINAL REPLAY
Thursday March 23, 1961
Leicester 0-0 United AET
Played at City Ground, Nottingham
Attendance 43500 Receipts £13000

The demands on the Utd (and Leicester) players must have been immense, as this was the first of 3 matches in 5 days. First was this replay (with 30 minutes extra time), followed on Saturday with a return to Elland Road for a crucial promotion match, and then on Monday with a trip to Birmingham for another semifinal replay. Three of the most important games of the season in 5 days, no substitutes allowed, and United made just one change (for the Leeds match). All this on top of several months of playing on boggy pitches, which had now dried out to hard and bumpy. I don’t know how the players felt, but I have felt the pressure of trying to prepare these 3 posts! I am inclined to be generous, therefore, about the quality of the football.

I am probably more inclined to be generous because I did not go to either replay. My brother (in his A-level year) went to both, but I was too much of a goody-two-shoes to skip school; in the spirit of brotherly love, I would just add that he got to see 2 very mediocre football games, and I ended up with better exam results than him! (We do remain very good friends to this day, I should add.)
As for the match at Nottingham, everyone agreed that it was eminently forgettable. Having won on points in the first game, United were second best in the replay, and were grateful for the interventions of Hodgy in goal and to the post for allowing them to keep a clean sheet. The match report in the scrapbook, and the commentary on the video of highlights of extra-time confirm what those who went to the game said. Despite his key role in the game, Hodgy has little to say about it in his autobiography, other than to express optimism as a result of matching Leicester and the belief that we were good enough to be in top division; pessimists will have picked up on the not unreasonable concluding statement of the match report- that it looked as if whoever won eventually would simply be cannon-fodder for Spurs and their ambition to achieve the Double. That turned out to be accurate.
Pictures from the scrapbook and programme below; I will try to add a link to the extra-time video in the following post. Good memories of Hodgy there, and a great example of Joe Shaw’s defending, then setting up an attack, just before half-time.
C9FB7CC5-C0D9-4121-B6D1-5E1744FB82EE.jpeg43CF486B-FD51-456E-8B81-103D08D2DF65.jpegF010428E-DAC7-43E3-9057-329A83F4212C.jpegF067BE15-16C0-4C4D-A45C-B5E325ADEAB0.jpeg8D2A6448-20CC-42A8-B4A7-AF752C817C9E.jpeg19DEE25F-7199-46D4-A4F6-DA207723B77A.jpegB7E4CBD9-86B3-451B-9185-DF2C74F8B195.jpeg

Yes, almost hit the corner flag
Which is actually better than his shot at Nottingham in the first half of extra time - it was not even near the corner flag! And in view of what was to follow at Leeds, it was not Graham Shaw’s finest 5 days!

Which is actually better than his shot at Nottingham in the first half of extra time - it was not even near the corner flag! And in view of what was to follow at Leeds, it was not Graham Shaw’s finest 5 days!
Looking forward to the Leeds report. A nightmare match for Jack Charlton in Don Revie's first home game as Leeds manager.

Last edited:
So he missed the Leeds match, and presumably the second replay. Did he ever tell you if he took a portable radio with him on honeymoon?
Yes he missed the both you mentioned. Not sure if he tried to get a ticket for the semi final at Leeds. He was on a honeymoon in London when we were at Birmingham, dont think he told me how he found out the score. Both watched Fulham v Arsenal on Good Friday

March 25, 1961
Leeds 1-2 United
Attendance: 13,600

An excellent return to winning ways for United in the run-in for promotion, but before reflecting on the match, I would like to add that it was an important day for this Forum. One person missing from the crowd was SilentBlades’ father, who got married that day, and so did not join the many Blades fans returning to Elland Road; and as we all know, one consequence of that marriage was the birth of SilentBlade, lifelong fan of the club and outstanding contributor to this Forum. We are all constantly amazed by his knowledge of all things football, especially United; what some may not fully appreciate is how generous he is with his knowledge. Numerous times this year it has turned out that he knows far more about 1960-61 than I do, and he was not even alive at the time; but rather than point-score and parade his knowledge, he chooses to send me information and links for me to use at the appropriate time. If only all users of social media showed such generosity and humility... So this date in 1961 is a double cause for celebration in my eyes.
And so to Elland Road. Leeds, as indicated in the semi-final programme the previous week, were a club going nowhere in a rugby league area, and looked up to United as an example of what a medium-sized club could achieve; the programme for this league match was generous in the space given to Utd, and positive in their assessment. At the same time, they point out that this was the first match under Don Revie as manager, and they were asking their supporters to get behind him and give him a chance to re-build the club. Little did they know... Looking back, this could be a case where we won the battle (a very good 2-1 victory), but lost the war, as Leeds were at the beginning of a transformation into a major force. Indeed, this was a time when resources were much more evenly spread than now, and it was much more realistic for clubs like United to compete at the top level. How much did this depend on the appointment of a great manager and how much on other factors? Looking at the transformation brought about by Revie at Leeds, Shankly at Liverpool, Clough at Forest, there is a case for saying that the choice of manager was key: neither Utd nor Wednesday have had a manager who transformed the club in a similar way. I had thought that Wilder was perhaps that manager; now he has left, I suspect he was the right manager at the wrong time. Football in 2021 is very different from football in 1961.
Revie had a reputation as a tactically astute player - the deep-lying centre-forward was an idea ahead of its time. His opening match against Utd included an innovation at centre-forward - not a deep-lying centre-forward, but a centre-half, Jack Charlton, moved to centre-forward. Was it a coincidence that Leeds’ best-known player, John Charles, moved freely between those positions? Indeed, Charlton’s debut as a young player was to replace John Charles for a game in which Charles was moved out of defence. The match report suggests Charlton and the 18-year-old Bremner were the principal threats, but I do not recall United being under much pressure. Revie’s methods took a couple of years to produce progress, but Charlton did score 14 goals in 25 games playing up front, so the experiment was not a failure.
My principal memories of the day are:
1. The debut of Len Allchurch. He was signed just before deadline day for £12000, and was the second right-winger signed in a few days. We had played with makeshift right-wingers all season, and perhaps the money from the Cup run provided the funds. An instant impact was needed, and his signing provided exactly that. He was direct, a good crosser of the ball, had a good, accurate shot, and a knack of turning up in the right place at the right time. In the 70th minute Leeds cleared an attack from the goal area we were standing behind just as he arrived on the edge of the penalty area, and he drove it hard and low into the bottom corner. That winning goal set a pattern for the remaining games - he scored goals, and most of them earned us points. Everyone loves it when a signing turns out like that.
2. We were standing right behind the goal, always my favourite position. The Allchurch goal was one where you knew it was in as soon as he connected with the ball. Always a great feeling. And behind the goal always offered the possibility of interacting with Hodgy, though on that particular occasion, it was not all positive. He acknowledged us enthusiastically when he came into goal for the pre-match shoot-in, but when it came to picking a kid to join in the kickabout, he (as he often did) opted for a young Leeds fan. I never made it onto the pitch with my hero. And when United got a penalty in the first half, Hodgy could not bear to watch Graham Shaw take it, but turned round to us and mouthed ‘He’ll miss it’. He found out he was right by watching our reaction. The same sequence of events was probably repeated exactly 2 days later.
3. I had my first sense of how crowd behaviour was about to change. We arrived perhaps 20 minutes before kick-off, and joined 30/40 other Unitedites behind the goal. A group of ‘hard’ lads from Leeds came over and stood near us in a way that was clearly not intended to welcome us to Elland Road. Then a group of local adults, who had been talking to us for a few minutes, told them to clear off, which they did. At the time, I didn’t think much about it, but as behaviour changed, that moment came back to me as an early indication.
4. And, finally, we went home optimistic. We were 1 point behind Ipswich, and 3 ahead of Liverpool, having played 1 game more than both. But we had a proper right-winger now...
Pictures from programme, report, in next post, below.

March 25, 1961
Leeds 1-2 United

An excellent return to winning ways for United in the run-in for promotion, but before reflecting on the match, I would like to add that it was an important day for this Forum. One person missing from the crowd was SilentBlades’ father, who got married that day, and so did not join the many Blades fans returning to Elland Road; and as we all know, one consequence of that marriage was the birth of SilentBlade, lifelong fan of the club and outstanding contributor to this Forum. We are all constantly amazed by his knowledge of all things football, especially United; what some may not fully appreciate is how generous he is with his knowledge. Numerous times this year it has turned out that he knows far more about 1960-61 than I do, and he was not even alive at the time; but rather than point-score and parade his knowledge, he chooses to send me information and links for me to use at the appropriate time. If only all users of social media showed such generosity and humility... So this date in 1961 is a double cause for celebration in my eyes.
Thank you for the kind comments. Below photos are my parents wedding at Ecclesfield church on that day.

Wedding 1961 (2).jpg
Wedding Frank.jpg

Great photos. On the second one, your dad looks as if he has just been told that Allchurch has scored the winner...
All my mum's 6 brothers were Wendy fans but two of them (Frank and Pete the tall two on the left in the back row) were regulars and they missed seeing their team's 5-1 win (Gerry Young hat-trick) against Man U!

1616701644523.png

1616701684776.png
1616701752344.png
1616701808060.png

March 25, 1961
Leeds 1-2 United

And so to Elland Road. Leeds, as indicated in the semi-final programme the previous week, were a club going nowhere in a rugby league area, and looked up to United as an example of what a medium-sized club could achieve; the programme for this league match was generous in the space given to Utd, and positive in their assessment. At the same time, they point out that this was the first match under Don Revie as manager, and they were asking their supporters to get behind him and give him a chance to re-build the club. Little did they know... Looking back, this could be a case where we won the battle (a very good 2-1 victory), but lost the war, as Leeds were at the beginning of a transformation into a major force. Indeed, this was a time when resources were much more evenly spread than now, and it was much more realistic for clubs like United to compete at the top level. How much did this depend on the appointment of a great manager and how much on other factors? Looking at the transformation brought about by Revie at Leeds, Shankly at Liverpool, Clough at Forest, there is a case for saying that the choice of manager was key: neither Utd nor Wednesday have had a manager who transformed the club in a similar way. I had thought that Wilder was perhaps that manager; now he has left, I suspect he was the right manager at the wrong time. Football in 2021 is very different from football in 1961.
Revie had a reputation as a tactically astute player - the deep-lying centre-forward was an idea ahead of its time. His opening match against Utd included an innovation at centre-forward - not a deep-lying centre-forward, but a centre-half, Jack Charlton, moved to centre-forward. Was it a coincidence that Leeds’ best-known player, John Charles, moved freely between those positions? Indeed, Charlton’s debut as a young player was to replace John Charles for a game in which Charles was moved out of defence. The match report suggests Charlton and the 18-year-old Bremner were the principal threats, but I do not recall United being under much pressure. Revie’s methods took a couple of years to produce progress, but Charlton did score 14 goals in 25 games playing up front, so the experiment was not a failure.
My principal memories of the day are:
1. The debut of Len Allchurch. He was signed just before deadline day for £12000, and was the second right-winger signed in a few days. We had played with makeshift right-wingers all season, and perhaps the money from the Cup run provided the funds. An instant impact was needed, and his signing provided exactly that. He was direct, a good crosser of the ball, had a good, accurate shot, and a knack of turning up in the right place at the right time. In the 70th minute Leeds cleared an attack from the goal area we were standing behind just as he arrived on the edge of the penalty area, and he drove it hard and low into the bottom corner. That winning goal set a pattern for the remaining games - he scored goals, and most of them earned us points. Everyone loves it when a signing turns out like that.
2. We were standing right behind the goal, always my favourite position. The Allchurch goal was one where you knew it was in as soon as he connected with the ball. Always a great feeling. And behind the goal always offered the possibility of interacting with Hodgy, though on that particular occasion, it was not all positive. He acknowledged us enthusiastically when he came into goal for the pre-match shoot-in, but when it came to picking a kid to join in the kickabout, he (as he often did) opted for a young Leeds fan. I never made it onto the pitch with my hero. And when United got a penalty in the first half, Hodgy could not bear to watch Graham Shaw take it, but turned round to us and mouthed ‘He’ll miss it’. He found out he was right by watching our reaction. The same sequence of events was probably repeated exactly 2 days later.
3. I had my first sense of how crowd behaviour was about to change. We arrived perhaps 20 minutes before kick-off, and joined 30/40 other Unitedites behind the goal. A group of ‘hard’ lads from Leeds came over and stood near us in a way that was clearly not intended to welcome us to Elland Road. Then a group of local adults, who had been talking to us for a few minutes, told them to clear off, which they did. At the time, I didn’t think much about it, but as behaviour changed, that moment came back to me as an early indication.
4. And, finally, we went home optimistic. We were 1 point behind Ipswich, and 3 ahead of Liverpool, having played 1 game more than both. But we had a proper right-winger now...
Pictures from programme, report, in next post, below.

Great post Hodgy and a thoroughly deserved and well expressed tribute to Silent .

As to the experiment of putting the terrifying 6 ft. plus Jack Charlton at centre forward against the slightly built Joe Shaw , on paper there could only be one outcome and not a good one for us .

As it turned out , ‘Little Joe’ as my dad always referred to him won the battle hands down and Big Jack was man enough to admit later that he had been made to look a complete fool by the great man ,or words to that effect .

All my mum's 6 brothers were Wendy fans but two of them (Frank and Pete the tall two on the left in the back row) were regulars and they missed seeing their team's 5-1 win (Gerry Young hat-trick) against Man U!

View attachment 109151

View attachment 109152
View attachment 109153
View attachment 109154
Nice to see the goal average included in the league table - a long forgotten football statistic.

Am I right in thinking that goal difference was introduced instead of goal average for the benefit of those who could not manage long division but were ok with subtraction?

Nice to see the goal average included in the league table - a long forgotten football statistic.

Am I right in thinking that goal difference was introduced instead of goal average for the benefit of those who could not manage long division but were ok with subtraction?
With goal average F50 A25 is better than F100 A51 which doesnt seem fair so goal difference rewards attacking minded teams

Back
Top Bottom