50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

exactly same happened in cup game with arsenal in 78 about 20 arsenal fans right in middle of shoreham they never stood a chance can remember their leader biggest black guy i had ever seen in black crombie think they called him dalton and he was the top boy of the north bank
i remember West Brom , Leicester, Forest , Man City come to mind who came on that season Man Utd and Leeds always were there in their masses what could you do when they gathered at 12.30:)

i remember West Brom , Leicester, Forest , Man City come to mind who came on that season Man Utd and Leeds always were there in their masses what could you do when they gathered at 12.30:)
yeah your forgetting newcastle as well that was a day and a half 400 of em taking over the old hermitage and dancing on the tables mind they also got their arses kicked on the shoreham and ended up in the far corner near the spiral staircase man utd were a gimme because they usually had 20k on the kop but leeds only did it once in 74 when 10k of the b******s were on the kop 2 hours before kick off they tried 3 times to get on the shoreham in previous years but also got their arses kicked each time uniteds mob in those days were a tough lot mixture of skinheads and greasers

Anybody else remember in the early 70's we had a group of Wednesdayites who attended every home game hoping to take the piss they used to stand on the terrace right next to the kop corner safe behind the fences until the likes of Forest and Man City fans got chased into the corner and had to jump the fences to escape a beating. I don't think Unitedites have ever lowered themselves and gone to the sty as a group to watch the pigs even when they had a decent team.

Anybody else remember in the early 70's we had a group of Wednesdayites who attended every home game hoping to take the piss they used to stand on the terrace right next to the kop corner safe behind the fences until the likes of Forest and Man City fans got chased into the corner and had to jump the fences to escape a beating. I don't think Unitedites have ever lowered themselves and gone to the sty as a group to watch the pigs even when they had a decent team.
Yea I knew most of that crew Vinny and Collin Walters, Slakey, Roy Elliot ect
But the pigs were in free fall then to oblivion

yeah your forgetting newcastle as well that was a day and a half 400 of em taking over the old hermitage and dancing on the tables mind they also got their arses kicked on the shoreham and ended up in the far corner near the spiral staircase man utd were a gimme because they usually had 20k on the kop but leeds only did it once in 74 when 10k of the b******s were on the kop 2 hours before kick off they tried 3 times to get on the shoreham in previous years but also got their arses kicked each time uniteds mob in those days were a tough lot mixture of skinheads and greasers
Those Geordie games were quality in the 70s

they were there in numbers in 68 mixed in with chelsea fans on the lane end but plenty of blades repayed them by being on their kop 2 years later when city sent them down 😃

Yea I knew most of that crew Vinny and Collin Walters, Slakey, Roy Elliot ect
But the pigs were in free fall then to oblivion
True in the 70's for 8 out of the 10 seasons they had attendances below 10,000 that is 10,000 and for 7 of those 10 years their average was below 15,000. Massive 🤣
Can't get my head around why pigs would turn up at the lane when we were doing well, I wouldn't dream of going to watch them every game to support the away team, but that might just be me, dunno what motivated them.

True in the 70's for 8 out of the 10 seasons they had attendances below 10,000 that is 10,000 and for 7 of those 10 years their average was below 15,000. Massive 🤣
Can't get my head around why pigs would turn up at the lane when we were doing well, I wouldn't dream of going to watch them every game to support the away team, but that might just be me, dunno what motivated them.
it was common practice in the 60s to go to a game in sheffield every saturday whether you were a blade or owl and hope the away team won lol another factor was the away score going up every 15 minutes you just couldnt afford to do that these days

7/9/1971

League Cup 2nd round

Blades 3 (Dearden, Woodward 2) Fulham 0

I do not remember any of the goals. Only remember Steve Earle nearly scoring the opening goal at the Lane End also the full moon slowly rising from the back of the Kop and it seemed to get bigger on the way over the Lane End. My dad noticing that I was watching the moon from my seat in the BLUT at times and he joked that the moon will come over and "bounce" on the pitch!

Fulham2.jpg
Fulham3.jpg

Fulhamthornton1.jpg
Fulhamthornton2.jpg

7/9/1971

League Cup 2nd round

Blades 3 (Dearden, Woodward 2) Fulham 0

I do not remember any of the goals. Only remember Steve Earle nearly scoring the opening goal at the Lane End also the full moon slowly rising from the back of the Kop and it seemed to get bigger on the way over the Lane End. My dad noticing that I was watching the moon from my seat in the BLUT at times and he joked that the moon will come over and "bounce" on the pitch!

View attachment 120597
View attachment 120598

View attachment 120595
View attachment 120596
dont remember that game at all silent but i must have been there

Great credit to the Arsenal fans who wrote those letters of appreciation .

I wasn’t at that game but by all accounts we gave a very assured and professional performance which was widely praised in the media and which made fans all over the country sit up and take notice .

I would love to hear the recollections of anyone who was fortunate enough to have been there .

11/9/1971

Blades 2 (Dearden, Scullion) Spurs 2 (Peters, Gilzean)

Before the game I got to see John Harris receive his Manager of the month award on the pitch and there were loud cheers from the crowd. YTV cameras were there to film the match for highlights in the next day.

Spursharris.jpg
It was a bright and sunny afternoon. We were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty box after the eagle eyed linesman ruled that Jennings still had the ball in his hand outside the box when he tried to throw the ball to a teammate.

TC chipped the free kick into the box and out of our players, only Flynn tried to get to the chip but he was nowhere near it .Joe Kinnear, Mike England and Jennings went after the ball but it caused confusion for Spurs and for most in the ground. Kinnear headed the ball, England and Jennings tried to claim it, England got the second header to it but was off balance as he clashed with Jennings. From my seat in the BLUT I watched the ball go high and then it dropped towards the net, Kinnear recovered and tried to boot the ball off the line but looking at the video, Dearden came from nowhere to dash towards the ball and knock it into the net. I think most in the BLUT didnt have a clue who scored the goal. Our reaction to the goal was about a second or two after we saw the spectators in the Kop go into raptures. Later in the evening when I got the Green Un, the first thing was to find out who had scored our first goal but in his match report, even Peter Howard didnt say that Dearden got the final touch before England's header had crossed the line! In the next day some papers said it was an own goal by England and some said Dearden scored it.

Spurs1.jpg

Spursdearden1.jpg

Scullion's shot hits the post. I have circled where my dad and I were sat in the BLUT

Spurspost_LI.jpg
Deep into injury time in the 1st half Spurs equalised which was a "ghost header" by Martin Peters which was a typical of him like he did for West Ham, Spurs, Norwich and England (he did one for us when we beat Swindon 3-0). The ref then blew for half time before we were able to restart from the centre spot.

Spurs2.jpg

Early in the 2nd half we went 2-1 up after Scullion headed in a cross by Salmons. We all thought he would go on to score many goals for us!

I clearly remember TC chatting with Dearden (see photo below) during a lull in play (an injured player was having treatment by the trainer at the time)

Spurslull.jpg

In the dying minutes of the match, Spurs equalised again after a long throw by Martin Chivers was headed on by England and the wily old fox Alan Gilzean finished the set piece with a typical back header.

It was disappointing that Spurs had denied us a win by scoring right at the end of each half but we were still top of the league! See below link for scores, scorers, line ups and league tables.

Spursfarnsworth1.jpg

Spursfarnsworth2.jpg

Spursfarnsworth3.jpg

Spursheadline.jpg

Spursgreenun1.jpg
Spursgreenun2.jpg

SpursJennings.jpg

1631315508562.png
1631315541435.png

Last edited:
18/9/1971

Leicester 0 Blades 1 (Woodward).

Lovely sunny day, MOTD cameras were there. My third visit to Filbert Street in 18 months. A lad who was in his late teens/ early 20s travelled with me and my dad in my dad's car. I didnt know the lad and I dont remember seeing him again. We were sat in the main stand not too far from the double decker end and I remember being frustrated that it was difficult for me to see much of the action when the Blades attacked the other end in the 2nd half as spectators in front of me would stand up blocking my view.

The clearest memory of the day was that Woody was taking a corner from the left with 4 minutes left to play and then the next thing many around me were celebrating as we had scored. This lad (who travelled with me and my dad) started hugging my dad which surprised me at the time as I had never seen my dad hug anyone apart from me, my sister and seldomly my mum. When the cheers had died down, I asked my dad "Who scored?". He replied "Woodward!". At the time I had never thought it was possible for anyone to score direct from a corner!

In the dying minutes minutes, a soft bouncing ball towards John Hope that could easily have been picked up but the keeper allowed it to run out of play to gain a goal kick and that annoyed me but my dad tried to explain that Hope did the right thing to make things safe.

I was good coming home to see the highlights on MOTD

start from 2 mins 30 secs

Eddie and TC celebrating the goal

Leicestereddie.jpg
Leicestercelebrations.jpgLeicesterhoward.jpg

Leicestergreenunheadlines.jpg
Leicestergreenun1.jpg

Leicestergreenun2.jpg
LeicesterFarnsworthheadline.jpg
LeicesterFarnsworth1.jpg
LeicesterFarnsworth2.jpg

Scores, scorers, tables and line ups that day in below link

LeicesterBadger.png
Leicestercross.png
Leicestercurrie.png
Leicesterhockey.png
LeicesterKellard.png
Leicestersalmons.png
Leicesterscullion.png

Great stuff Silent , once again .

My two abiding memories of that match are the corner itself for which me and my other travelling buddies at the time had a great view and the fact that we perhaps over celebrated a tad on the way back , resulting in us arriving home late and a severe bollocking from Mrs.Joe .

Naturally , as you would expect from any woman , it’s never been mentioned since . 🤣

Last edited:
I had a bit of a soft spot for Hudders in those days, I lived quite close coming from Darton. I used to go all over the area watching games when United were away including Hudders.it took them until 2015 (?) before reaching the top flight again.

Great photos Silent. Weirwolf confronting Ball and challenging Kendall.

I think another photo includes Woodward, Scullion and Salmons.

We should have won that Spurs match. I remember we had my Charlton supporting relatives in Sheffield and my uncle tagged along to the game he thought we were awesome. Spurs never travelled well to the lane and didn't bring that many fans at all I would say out of the 41,000+ a good 39,000 would be Unitedites.

I like how the Leicester papers had Woodward's winner down as a fluke goal. Sorry guys he did that on more than one occasion maybe 3-4 that I have seen

We should have won that Spurs match. I remember we had my Charlton supporting relatives in Sheffield and my uncle tagged along to the game he thought we were awesome. Spurs never travelled well to the lane and didn't bring that many fans at all I would say out of the 41,000+ a good 39,000 would be Unitedites.

I like how the Leicester papers had Woodward's winner down as a fluke goal. Sorry guys he did that on more than one occasion maybe 3-4 that I have seen
Woody did it at least 4 times. v Newcastle (h) in League Cup Sept 1969, v Leicester (a) Sept 1971, v Coventry (h) Nov 1971 and v Norwich (h) Jan 1973

John Harris winning a bottle of Bells whisky. He would have probably preferred a box of Typhoo tea.

exactly same happened in cup game with arsenal in 78 about 20 arsenal fans right in middle of shoreham they never stood a chance can remember their leader biggest black guy i had ever seen in black crombie think they called him dalton and he was the top boy of the north bank
Denton.

Back
Top Bottom