50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
I still remember clearly when my dad was picking me up from a children's xmas party organised by his work and he was telling me "United won 6-0". I wasnt really into football yet despite having been taken to the Lane a few times but I was impressed that the Blades had won 6-0. Birmingham City were the opponents.

It would be good to put 6 past another team from Birmingham tomorrow. From memory I think we might have put 5 past Villa that season

It would be good to put 6 past another team from Birmingham tomorrow. From memory I think we might have put 5 past Villa that season
I remember both games, well the results at least. I remember Villa being terrible, they were passing the ball back to the keeper from the half way line in the days when back passes to the keeper were a last resort.

I still remember clearly when my dad was picking me up from a children's xmas party organised by his work and he was telling me "United won 6-0". I wasnt really into football yet despite having been taken to the Lane a few times but I was impressed that the Blades had won 6-0. Birmingham City were the opponents.

Not a bad run around Nov/Dec '69. Played 7 Won 5 Drawn 1 Lost 1. Four home wins: 16-0. :)

Four consecutive defeats in March '70 killed off promotion that season, but it came a year after in style.

Untitled.png

I remember it well. Blind Man’s Buff, Postman’s Knock, Peep Behind The Curtain, PinThe Tail On The Donkey, potted meat sandwiches, ice-cream and jelly.

Was at both games;-

Birmingham -
Reece
Addison 2
Currie
Colquhoun

Villa -
Reece
Powell
Colquhoun 2
Currie.
Woody assisted 3 of the goals against Villa.

ASSIST - v Aston Villa (h) 22.11.69. United eventually broke the ice, thanks to another bad mistake by the young Villa keeper Phillips who dropped a corner from Woodward. Colquhoun raced in to lash the ball to the roof of the net.
ASSIST - v Aston Villa (h) 22.11.69. Hemsley and Woodward took the ball half the length of the field before Woodward pulled back for Reece to slide it home.
ASSIST - v Aston Villa (h) 22.11.69. In the last kick of the match Currie celebrated becoming a father this week by hitting the fifth goal following a smart interception by Woodward.

You missed Woody out as one of the scorers against Birmingham

ASSIST - v Birmingham (h) 13.12.69. Herriot tried to fist away an inswinging corner by Woodward from the left. He failed and the ball struck the far post before Addison just got a touch to score the second goal. Many in the crowd thought the winger had scored direct.
ASSIST- v Birmingham (h) 13.12.69. Then came the explosions. Currie didn't have the pace to beat Pendrey but won a corner, which was taken by Woodward and met by Colquhoun with an impeccable header by the near post.
GOAL - v Birmingham (h) 13.12.69. With 68 minutes gone Woodward, who had had a hand in all four goals, made it five and this time there was no doubt about the owner of the goal. A Barlow through ball, Woodward's shimmy sent two players the wrong way and the outside right was through to place his shot to the far corner.

I was at both games remember both Villa and Brum fans coming on the kop and getting chased by Blades fans - its how it was back then

50 years ago today I visited my maternal grandmother's in Hartley Brook Road and there were load of Xmas presents in her living room for my grandmother's 10 grandchildren to pick up. My dad was off with some of my mum's brothers to watch Wendy v Arsenal. I was a bit confused about my Blade supporting dad going to watch a Wendy match and I still remember clearly seeing him put on his coat on leaving the house! I dont think I was really aware about the Blades playing away to Norwich that day, probably because I was more excited about Xmas. Both Wendy and Blades drew 1-1.

Last edited:
50 years ago today I visited my maternal grandmother's in Hartley Brook Road and there were load of Xmas presents in her living room for my grandmother's 10 grandchildren to pick up. My dad was off with some of my mum's brothers to watch Wendy v Arsenal. I was a bit confused about my Blade supporting dad going to watch a Wendy match and I still remember clearly seeing him put on his coat on leaving the house! I dont think I was really aware about the Blades playing away to Norwich that day, probably because I was more excited about Xmas. Both Wendy and Blades drew 1-1.
Bollocks to the football, what pressies did you get? 😜

I'm disappointed to hear that you weren't really bothered about the United result. I prefer to imagine that you were writing down all the facts and figures about the game to remember for years to come. 😀

I'm disappointed to hear that you weren't really bothered about the United result. I prefer to imagine that you were writing down all the facts and figures about the game to remember for years to come. 😀
I became a committed Blade on 4th January. Will tell more in 15 days time....

Cup game against Everton.
Bert was already hooked by then but that game probably cemented it.
I wasnt at the match but remember watching Grandstand that day. Next day cemented it for me after watching the highlights of the match on YTV.

Back
Top Bottom